“Great place to learn”
Review of Manta Dive

Manta Dive
Ranked #4 of 42 Tours in Gili Trawangan
More attraction details
Owner description: After years of experience we are proud to be one of the leading dive operators in our region. Dive the Gili Islands with experienced and professional multilingual instructors and guides in a fun, safe and relaxed environment. SSI and Padi Dive courses from beginner to instructor, introduction dives, daily dive trips, free diving. Facilities include, swimming pool, class rooms, equipment sale and rental, traditional accommodation finished to western standards, all at our beachfront location.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
London
“Great place to learn”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Before going to Gilli T I'd never dived before but I decided to give it a go this time around and signed up for a fun dive. The thing I really liked about Manta Dive was that the approach was very professional and they really took care of you, you didn't feel like you were being rushed along. The instructor inspired confidence and was more than happy to take a lot of time over basics, especially when it took me an age to descend when we went out on the first main dive. The general vibe of the place is very fun in a laidback way and I would definitely recommend it to other newcomers to diving!

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Victoria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Very Average”
Reviewed December 10, 2009

I dived with Manta Dive on Gili T recently, and I found the experience very average (at best).

The diving around Gili T, is OK. The hard corals are in very poor condition. If lots of dead stag & table corals is your thing, then this is the place for you. I guess years of dynamite fishing, pollution and El Nina have caused this. The marine life is still good, I say lots of turtles and a wide variety of fish life even one lone reef shark. I do wonder how long this can continue given the condition of the reefs.

As for the dive shop, generally I found the place disorganized and unfriendly. The staff are fairly un-interested and seemed to rarely engage with their customers, little attempt was made to discuss available dive sites and the promised available 3 to 4 dives per day rarely seen to happen. We had to bargain pretty hard when we paid to secure the promised advance booking discount. On a plus side the shop has a good location.

I stayed in Manta accommodation; again it's fairly average and a bit over-priced. Bring your ear plugs, as Manta is next door to Sana Sana (VERY loud reggae bar), their parties run until 6-00 in the morning.

It appears that development on Gili T has been rapid and poorly controlled, the island has little or no fresh water and water supplies are shipped from Lombok each day. The electricity connection to the island is unable to meet the demand of the present development; during my stay the electricity supply was frequently interrupted. When the electricity goes down so did the water supply to our cottage. I don't even want to think about where the sewage from all the resorts go.

Overall, if you find yourself on Gili T and really need a dive, I guess its ok'ish. I certainly would no recommend a trip here specifically to dive. With the current rate of development and little control it's difficult to see the situation improving.

5 Thank Stu-in-oz
California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place, fantastic people”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Before Gili T, I'd done no diving before. After taking Manta's Open Water course, I was hooked. Stayed on to finish my Advanced OW and Nitrox certifications and wish I could've stayed longer.

It's really all about the folks who work there though. All really good, funny, honest people who love the water and love to dive.

I'd recommend Manta to anyone, hands-down.

Jonkoping, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Perfect place!”
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I came to Manta Dive on Gili Trawangan together with my son (11 years old) and both of us did the open water diver course. Our divinginstructor Adam was absolutely the best we could get. Skilled, helpful, patient, and understanding.
The MAIN reason to dive with Manta Dive is: ADAM

london
“The Best Place on Earth......”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Manta Dive is the best value, best run and most terrific dive school and accommodation on the best little Island in the world. The diving is perfect in every way being professional and relaxed all at the same time. Rare to say the least. The Manta bungalows are charming, clean with great outdoor bathrooms. I first went to Gili for a weekend to do my open water at manta. I did my open water, advanced and rescue. Then came back another time to do my Dive Master. I even went back for my Honeymoon last time and now my wife and I can't wait to go back! The Best!!!!