“Fabulous staff, great atmosphere”

Tir Na Nog Gili Trawangan Accommodation
Ranked #18 of 171 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I originally only booked one night here. I wanted to have my first night on the island sorted and go from there. However, booking at Tir Na Nog for me was great.
The owners are lovely, the staff are fantastic; extremely accomodating, so friendly and make their guests feel very welcome - a point is made to know each guest by name.
Customer service has pretty much been nailed here. Because of this I extended my stay twice which did mean moving rooms but what do you expect when you can't make a decision! It also meant I was lucky enough to sample a selection of both the standard and deluxe rooms. Both styles are lovely and all have air con. The standard rooms are clean, spacious with comfy beds and a big terrace.
The deluxe rooms are beautiful. Entering the bedroom through a private front terrace, the room is bright, airy and so comfortable. The highlight for me - which at first I was slightly apprehensive about - was the outside bathroom, it does have a roof over the sink/toilet area; but looking at the stars whilst showering is a wonderful experience, with gecko's as shower buddies, surrounded by tropical plants it just reminds you how lucky/hard you've worked to be in such a beautiful place.
There is a good vegetarian selection on the menu. The evenings are lively but not intrusive. As a female on holiday by myself I felt very safe and the atomsphere was exactly what was needed.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank sweetflours

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Check in at reception was seamless, polite and very friendly. The deluxe room was as requested; furthest from the noise of the bar I had read about and I was able to sleep through even the Wednesday night party. The bed and pillows were superbly clean and comfortable and the air con worked perfectly. The pool was smaller and more public than expected but looked very clean (due to an ear infection I didn’t use the pool). The free WiFi was quite acceptable. Sure it was a little slow but I experienced no dropouts …. the best connection was by the pool. The included breakfast was fresh and well-presented and the staff went well beyond the expected to please. And yes, they do provide daily drinking water. However, they are reluctant to tell you that you need to refill your bottle for free from the “big bottle” in the bar.

So what were the negatives? (in order of importance to me) There was no seating inside the room; just one lounge chair would have been a great asset. The shower head was quite useless … after the first time of chase-the-splash, the novelty soon wore off. There is no telephone in the room, even just to contact reception (I read somewhere that they offer wake up calls and I questioned whether they use a bugle to do this); there is no refrigerator and there is no electric jug.

Housekeeping is unto themselves. If you don’t/can’t make your room available for cleaning at the time they want, then you invariably miss out. Twice I had to request a room clean and once was at 6:00pm (with a second walk to reception (read telephone comment) to request clean towels).

Would I return to this hotel? Yes, if I chose to return to Gili T (but I’ve now been there, done that).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Iancommunicado
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at one of their deluxe bungalows. The property's location is good, close to many good restaurants, and not too far from the harbor. Our room is very big with a nice outdoor shower. The TV and air conditioner work properly, free wi-fi is available.
The breakfast is okay, and the bar is good! The staff is nice and friendly.

However there are some minor issues:
1. They only provide a bottle of small mineral water as welcome drink. There is no more complimentary mineral water if you stay 2 days or more, which is unusual in Indonesia.
2. Coffee/tea making facility is not provided, so you have to go to their restaurant/bar if you want to have some coffee/tea.
3. There is no internal phone, so if you want to contact the hotel staff or want to order something from the restaurant, you have to go to the reception/restaurant.
4. We had a problem with the safe deposit box (it was locked). We contacted the staff, but he didn't know how to fix it. He said he would tell his boss, but none came to fix it until we checked out.
5. The towels are worn out. They should replace them with new ones.
6. It's difficult to lock the door.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kangdamz
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I recently stayed at Tir Na Nog on Gili Trawangan and I must say what a great place it was to stay. I stayed in both the standard and deluxe rooms. The standard rooms are simple but very clean and the rooms are big. The deluxe rooms are a bit more but the indoor outdoor bathroom was great. Hot fresh water in all the rooms and ac that worked. Would come back and stay again. Breakfast was great as well

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank James B
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We've just got back to Bali after spending 3 nights at this hotel in Gili Trawangan. The hotel rooms are in desperate need of a makeover, the aspects that need repairing are as follows:
- There is no natural light in the rooms therefore you must have the light on at all times. However this makes little difference and the room does remain quite dark
- The electricity outlet to the left of the bed has been pulled out of the wall leaving wires exposed, increasing the chance of an electric shock
- The shower had only three measly streams of water which despite being left to heat up for up to 20 minutes, provided no heat at all
- The air conditioning pipes are exposed in the bathroom and are leaking, creating a puddle on the bathroom floor
- Bottled water was not provided as per the hotel description
- No room service or daily house keeping service (beds remained unmade)
- No tea and coffee making facilities or a fridge in the room (although these are not requirements they are nice to have)
- Wifi internet was very slow and kept dropping out and requesting us to sign in again - this happened to me a couple of times when writing a lengthy email which was frustrating
The positive aspects are as follows:
- Plenty of electrical outlets which are handy for charging multiple things at once
- A comfortable bed with plenty of pillows
- A wonderful selection for breakfast each morning (included in our room rate) and all beautifully cooked
- A nice patio area with chairs outside each of the rooms
- A nice pool to relax by

All in all our room was just okay but perfectly fine for the location (right in the heart of all of the restaurants and bars) and for the price. Unsure if we'd stay there again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MzTaylor88
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and we were completely underwhelmed. We booked a standard room as a bit of a treat as we wouldn't normally spend £30 a night on somewhere and the reviews are really good so we thought it'd be great and a bit of luxury.

We got room number 7, it was clean and the bed was very comfy but the room got absolutely no natural light whatsoever. It was like a bat's cave! The lights were really pathetic and when you turned them off in the day the room would be near to being pitch black. The room itself was also really bare, there was the bed and a chest of drawers and that was it.

The bathroom was also really dark and had a pipe sticking out the wall and also an extractor fan that was just sat in a cut out square in the wall which you could see the outside from. Outside the room was a nice terrace bit with chairs. The wifi was really slow from our room.

The room was quiet and we weren't bothered by any noise at night. The staff were also very friendly and helpful and umbrellas are provided which is handy when the terrential rain arrives. However, this is not what I expected to get when we paid 30 pounds a night and we were really quite disappointed. The room was just so basic that I would have expected to pay half the amount that we did. You can definitely get more for your money than this on Trawangan.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014

There are much better places to stay on Gili T for the same amount of money. The rooms (although clean and well decorated) have a door that has an inch gap all the way around it, which coupled with the pathetic fan in the bathroom, which also has an inch gap around it, means no matter how careful you are you can't avoid getting mosquitoes and midges in your room. The bathroom door does not close unless locked from the inside which means that all the cold air from your air conditioning is sucked into the bathroom (with no air conditioning) to outside through the gap around the fan. At night getting any sleep is near on impossible due to the noise from the bar below, even irritatingly audible through ear plugs. The food is average but the drinks are cheap.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple