“From Villa round down to Poor Service”

Kelapa Luxury Villas
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“From Villa round down to Poor Service”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Did Stay 4 nights in a 2 bedroom villa . What a disappointment to at our arrival . Compare to the picture on the web site , our villa was maybe beautiful 10 years ago but time pass and it wasn't the case at our arrival."See Picture". From duty outside area, duty sofa , round down deck , greenish pool to broken safe etc etc.....Most shocking is to have a member of the staff offering us some drugs on our first day !! Regarding the breakfast , wow ! that was something . Look like it was to hard to make just Tea and Toasts every morning ! You can put your order the night before but not just you will get whatever you request ! At the end we just ask tea and toasts.The third day we have the surprise to wake up and see our pool empty. Pump broken or whatever ! so no pool for all day ! Regarding the staffs, they are all nice but not very efficient or professional. The lack of customers service is obvious.
The only positive thing I have to say is the quality of the bed. very good.
So after that, if you need to book a round down villa, far away from everything when u need to hire a cart everytime (50.000) one way, cause the bicycle given are in the worst condition and no lighting, below average breakfast, Bad housekeeping, no change of towel, dirty pool towel, no replacement of shampoo etc etc...That the perfect place to stay! And more important if you need to get some drugs no problem the staff will be happy to help you !
Anyway going to bali twice a years for now 5 years and I can say that was the worst experience I have ever encounter.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Olivier D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Now, where should I start... Our booking stated that it included transport from/to the harbor. After we arrived, we soon got picked up by a cidomo (horse taxi) to the villas. To my surprise, the driver asked us to pay. I tried to confirm this with the villa guy and he said we should pay him. Very strange way to claim that transportation included.

When we got inside, we place itself was nice but not as great as I had expected. Spots were on my bath towel and bed cover. They served us a fresh coconut for welcome drink, which were only picked up and cleaned like 6 hours later.

Next case: there was no instructions in using the safety box, I somewhat locked our wallets inside. When I called the front office the guy told me to use the default combination to unlock but it did not work. When I told his this, he nonchalantly asked to wait until the next day because the manager had gone home. I had to really force them to find the manual key, come and open the box. No way they should claim as 'luxury' villas with that kind of service.

In overall, too many bad little stories to tell, the service is one of the worst in any villa I have stayed in. The staff had no intention to make your stay enjoyable and memorable. They were just there to clean up once a day. Do not expect anything more.

About the location, the villas are situated deep inside the island. On one side, you will feel very peaceful and far away from the crowd. But if you need to go doing activities or eating, then it takes around 10 minutes using a bike. So this is really a personal preference.

As a final note, unless they management have seriously improve the service and staff, I really cannot recommend this property. There are many nice and better quality hotel or villa for your stay in Gili Trawangan.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank mayks
Reviewed January 11, 2012

In short, amazing!

We arrived at our Villa after a journey of nearly 18 hours, leaving Margaret River in WA at 5am, spending a few hours at the Holiday Inn Baruna (a great way to kill some time between flights), flying to Mataram, 1.5 hour van ride to the speed boat and then one crazy speed boat ride from Lombok to Gili T by torchlight (the driver was taking serious delight is our delirious laughter).

Once off the speed boat we were on the horse and cart Tuk Tuks that define Gili T and off to what seemed the centre of the Island. The horse carts dropped us at the entrance road leading to the Villas and we met a random staff member half way down the path who instantly knew who we were and directed us to our villa.

5 of us walked into the villa and 5 jaws instantly dropped to the floor. This place was incredible. None of us could quite believe this whole place and the enormous 20 metre pool was all ours! The whole fit out was beautiful and we found everything we could want and more for our stay.

The service was very good, but not perfect. The night staff barely speak English so we stopped calling reception after 9. Apart from that, we had everything we wanted (if sometimes with the Gili delay). The food was decent overall. Sure the breakfast was average but the BBQ they came and cooked for us was amazing. We ate out most of the other 7 nights we stayed.

The location suited us. It is a 20 minute walk to the main drag but there are restaurants within 5-10 minutes (take a torch at night) on the quieter side of the Island. We were happy to have some isolation during the craziness of New Years Eve.

Overall this was a great experience and we found the staff friendly and helpful (they organised the return of my lost bag that the airline would not deliver, as well as local transport and all our transfers). Basically the only negative was that the upstairs air con kept cutting out at night most nights but this is a fairly remote little island in South East Asia and these things do happen, even at luxury villas.

If you want a slightly quieter stay on Gili T, look no further.

Room Tip: Take a group and get the big villa
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MikeMann444
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I picked Kelapa as we are a family of 5 with grown-up kids needing 3 bedrms plus enough space to get together for chats. We stayed to a week over the new year. The whole place is very tired. My first advice to the main owner, hey, better take a trip and review things, your main guy is just smiling when he feels like it, other than the little lady who seems to know everything, whom unfortunately was on vacation when we first arrive, the rest are just beyond words.
The wifi which is stated in the brochure does not work in the villa where we stayed.
We arrived rather late around 930pm and was greeted by a smiling English guy whom gave us a quite rundown and advise us to order dinner as last order was 10pm. I tried to order dinner immediately when he left and was told by the reception that kitchen which was suppose to close at 10pm is closed when I called at 940pm. Having travelled to Indonesia frequently, I managed to get him to accept 3 orders plus breakfast. I would strongly suggest to anyone coming to this place NOT to try any room service.
Breakfast was pretty on time but was not good. We tried to make coffee and called the reception about the type of coffee powder supplied. We were told that to use the coffee maker or plunger which is supposed to be in the room. It took us 10mins to explain that no such appliance in the villa. There were no plates in the cupboard, cutleries were like 3 forks, 4 spoons, 5 knives, etc and the quantity changes mysteriously everyday in the drawers. The local breakfast was acceptable but the continental is 2 piece of bread, 2 single bite slice of canned pineapple, 3 small slice of watermelon and a big glass of juice. Then disaster struck, the 2 adjoining villas were under renovation!! We stayed out most of the day. The conditions of the bicycles we had were the worst in the whole island without lights. A few parts of the road to the villa from the village is not lighted in night. Then the 2nd disaster of the day, the smallest bicycle our youngest was using was gone! Taken from the villa compound which we just parked to take a shower before dinner! My husband and I walked to the reception to check and the guy there walked us to a hut and shine his touch then say sorry no more bikes. When we start to get upset, he walk us to the nearest villa and shine his touch to the bikes and tell us to take whichever.
2nd morning got woken up by the renovation noise at 830am in the morning. We left for the beach and return at around 430pm and the noise was still going on. The next morning, the same started again. This time, my husband lost his temper and called the reception who only know how to say sorry, sorry. It went on for about 2 hours and my husband called repeatedly to have the noise to be stopped. He demanded to see the owner. Finally a european lady came to see us. She has the cheek to say that work has to be finish because one of the adjoining villa will be occupied the next day.
On the same day, a pedal of 1 bicycle which no hand brakes broke into half. There was no replacement parts available nor extra bicycles so we had to continue with it. Then came the bummer in the afternoon, another bike's pedal went haywire, such that both pedals are at the same position. My husband had to hire a horsecart to take the bike back to the villa. Fortunately he didn't fall from it when it happens.
The lists of daily problem can fill a book if I continue so I will stop here and summarise;
The housekeeping sucks, everyday is a new matter, forgot to replace bath towels removed, toilet paper, no shampoo, pool towels, etc
Nearly everything is broken in the kitchen, can opener, wine opener, etc even the ones they bring after is broken. Coffee plunger is removed without explanation, plates,cups, cutleries, were there one day and gone the next.
There was 1 bright part when the little lady return on 30th Dec, she offered us a day trip on the catamaran for the past days problems. On our return in the evening, there were new lights in the dining area ( I complained that we cannot use it as the only lights in garden were all blown) and the guests moved into the adjoining villa that evening.
However the departure marred all the good she did. When we checked out around noon, we checked on the arrangement and was told the usual no problem, all arranged, carts, boat and car. I had to call back numerous time regarding a prepaid transportation with speedboat arranged direct with villa to the airport in Lombok. First, the horsecart drivers wanted us to pay, then he asked where we get off in the village, so I had to call and pass the phone to him. Then he and the other carts dropped us luggage and all at the pier and said wait. There was no boat. Phone call again to check and was told no problem boat will come just wait. But I was told that boat was waiting when we were checking out. So to summarise, I will not not return and advise all to check that the little lady is still running the place if you should choose this place. There are better and cheaper places on the island with much better attitude even if the staff are young and definitely speak more english.

Room Tip: Rooms on the northern part of the island is better and try to get one on the main street. The forei...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sunlover_intokyo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We stayed in the Kelapa Villas for 6 nights as part of our honeymoon. We were really looking forward to staying here but our first impression of the place was quite disappointing, the entrance to the complex was generally very unkempt looking eg there was a bin overturned with rubbish pouring out of it at the front of the complex. There is also a temporary campsite located beside the villas.

The villa itself was nice but it wasn't cleaned very well. The fridge was grubby and smelly and didn't appear to have been cleaned in some time, also the pool wasn't clean either, this didn't seem to have been cleaned in quite some time either. We had stayed in another pool villa in bali before we arrived in the Kelapa Villas and the pool was spotless it appeared to be cleaned every day. The villas aren't in a great location they are quite off the beaten track. There seems to be much nicer properties at beach locations for the same and cheaper prices.

As for the food we only had breakfast at the Kelapa Villas and this was pretty poor so we didn't order any other food at the villas apart from that. In general the staff were friendly but the don't seem to be trained at all and the place doesn't seem to be run professionally at all.

I think Kelapa Villas has potential but the management need to make major improvements if they are justify classing themselves as 'luxury' accommodation. The accommodation is overpriced for the standard that they are offering at the moment.

We certainly wouldn't choose to stay in this accommodation again if we returned to the Gili Islands. There is far nicer accommodation in better locations around the island for the same prices and cheaper than Kelapa Villas are charging.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pepi37
England
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights whilst on our honeymoon. We were upgraded (without asking) to the manis villa which is huge, great sized pool too. Plenty of room for sunbathing on comfy sunbeds and there is pagoda for chilling in the shade. They offer a free massage to couples on honeymoon too which was fab!

The bikes which came with the villa are quite rickety and old but this added to the fun in my opinion. You definitely need the bikes as it's quite a walk (10-15 mins) from the main beach. Oh and remember a torch! Parts of the road are really badly lit at night. The bikes didn't have lights on, so we walked at night time.

There were a couple of drawbacks to our stay though. The first that there doesn't seem to be any policing on noise, on the first night there some guests had party at one of the large villas and really loud music was played until about 3am, usually this wouldn't bother us and we'd probably join in, but my other half was feeling a bit ill so could have done with the sleep. It was just surprising that guests were allowed to play music so loud and late given it being advertised as a peaceful and tranquil place, but it only happened the one night so wasn't a massive issue.

The second was problems with the pool. On our third day the cleaning staff poured stuff into the pool, we guessed they were adding chlorine but the language barrier meant they couldn't tell us, we asked if we could use the pool, it was unclear so we decided not to for the rest of the day and went to the beach. The pool started turning green and looked less inviting, the next day the staff put more stuff in it. Again we weren't sure what, and managed to work out from the staff that we shouldn't go in it for 3 hours. I should add that everytime the staff put stuff in it, they did so without measuring, so god knows how they knew how much stuff had been put in as it was different staff each day. The next day the pool was still bright green, so I contacted reception, who sent someone around. They put more stuff in it again,by this time we were getting a bit peeved that we couldn't use the pool and had already had 2 afternoons when we couldnt use it. Staff on reception said we could use a pool in another villa which we did. The alternative pool wasn't the best and was quite dirty until they sent someone round to clean it and switch the pump on. The next day we were so hoping for a clear pool but it was still bright green! Reception sent someone round to put yet more stuff in it, again they couldn't tell us what or whether we could use it. I rang reception and they said it would be clear after an hour and then we could use it. It stayed bright green but we decided to risk it as it was our last day and we couldn't be bothered with the inconvenience of going to another villa. Neither of us suffered any skin reactions or anything but there is something a bit off-putting by a green cloudy pool, so we literally just used it to cool off in. I was expecting the hotel would offer us a discount when we settled the bill for the inconvenience we'd gone through but they didn't.

Overall we had a good stay, it was just a shame we had problems with the pool because without that it would have been near perfect. The management of the pool problems let it down for me. I think it's important that staff can communicate to guests what they are putting in the pool and whether it is safe to swim in it. They didn't
give the impression they knew what they were doing.

We would definitely stay here again though, as I think we were just unlucky with the pool problems this time.

• Stayed August 2011
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We were in Kelapa first week of August 2011 with a group of friends. The property is in the middle of Gili Trawangan Island but is an easy ride in bicycle, horse car or walking ... The service is excellent providing western people available any time in the reception in case you need something. The Vilas are Gorgeous ! A lot of space and really quite ... They provide anything we need during our stay like drinks, breakfast, food at a reasonable price. They also provide activities together with gym and tennis court. I truly recommend this property it looks like the people behind is taking good care of it ...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends