“Small Hotel with great service and customer oriented dive shop”

Villa Almarik Resort Lombok
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Switzerland
“Small Hotel with great service and customer oriented dive shop”
Reviewed March 9, 2011

We choose Villa Almarik because of its location at the beach and the integrated dive shop. We knew Gangga Divers from our stay in Gangga and have been very pleased to find the same friendliness and customer orientation in Gili Trawangan as well.
Knowing that Vanessa (the foreign, multilingual divinstructor and manager of the shop) does a great job with kids, we also sent our son to the Junior Padi Open Water course. We must say, she did a great job. Not one moment we had concerns about his safety and she has been able to light the diving fire in him.
We are looking forward to spending a few days again in April

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
paris
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I went diving with the dive shop here, Gangga Divers. The dive staff is very polite and nice even they dont understand English very well. The equipment was great,(new equipment I guess). The problem is when we go in to the water, the diveguide( I guess shes a foreigner instructor, and she introduce herself to me that shes the manager of the diveshop), shes leave me on the water, almost 25 meter in front of me,shes swimming very very fast, I already told her when I make the book in the dive office that I only have 6 dives, and I just finish my open water course in Thailand and she still leave me, what a great attitude for an instructor, I guess she just doesnt care about me.
And the other problem is, after diving, she keep force me to do the course with her. I try to have my holidays, and she keep telling me about the course and the cost i have to spend, I guess she only care about the money, thats all. period.
After all, I have a bad dive that day because of her behaviour underwater, even in the boat, all the local staff is very nice and friendly, but she already ruined my day..
Im really really not recommend to dive with the diveshop in this hotel, especially with the instructor.
I think this holiday gonna be a wonderful holiday of this year, but because of the diving instructor( or manager I suppose), I really really dissapointed with my holiday this year.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ParisFrederich
singapore
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We booked a room at Villa Almarik after not being happy at our previous spot. We had a superior room. It was very large, with high ceilings and lovely art work on the walls. Also had a cosy day bed. Bathroom also quite spacious. Both the lobby and breakfast area are beautiful. In addition to breakfast being included, they also offer free afternoon tea. Our only complaint is that the lighting is too dim, and the hot water does not have enough pressure.

Service was excellent as well. We arranged a full day tour of Lombak with return to the airport through them. Ryan, at the desk, made all the arrangements and was our very enthusiastic and knowledgeable tour guide. It was clear that he takes great pride in his country and culture.

We also went diving with the dive shop here, Gangga Dive. They offered personalized service. Their equipment was great, including full wet suits (the water is a bit cold). The dives were excellent! Would be better if they loan out dive computers for nitrox dives, however.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Pleasanton, Ca
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Vila Almarik is on a middle price range of the island range and I think we have got an excellent value for the money. Diving center is lead by Vanessa and she is the best guide I could wish for on the islands. Diving was an easy experience here. I did not dive for couple years and Vanessa brought me up to speed gently and easily. A huge difference from other dive center is that lot of things were taken care for us, we just had show up for diving in the morning, so it saved a lot of time and energy for other things we could do here. Dive sites are great with a lot of things to explore and learn about local nature. Vanessa knows a lot about fishes and ocean life, make sure to ask her a lot of questions. I also recommend to try early morning dives especially if you are jetlagged.
Hotel is very clean with drinking water bottles delivered to the room. Staff is superfriendly. Everything is very slow on the islands, so do not expect people rushing and running to you to bring the check. It is part of the experience. Hati Hati - slow down.
I also liked that the hotel is on a side away from crowds aroung the center. There were too many people around the center and some hotels have loud music too. so location is perfect.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Balikpapan
Reviewed December 1, 2010

The hotel is located "far" from Trawangan's downtown, but as the island is small, you can still walk for about 15-20 mins. to go to the restaurants area.
Trawangan is perhaps the best spot in Indonesia we've been so far, The hotel is located in front of the beach, with great spots for snorkeling. You can see a huge variety of marine life including a good number of turtles. Even young kids can do it.
The hotel has great rooms. The one we've got was with arabic inspiration, well decorated and huge. It had a large bathroom decorated with good taste.
The diving center is excellent, well equipped and with the usual good quality of Gangga divers. Vanessa, the dive master will choose the right diving sites for you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Tinonee, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2010

This looks a very lush hotel in a lush position. My problems were with the incredibly slow service and lack of any enthusiasm whatsoever of the staff. Lunch at the hotel restaurant was lovely enough - although I almost had to drag the staff over from the lobby to the beach side tables to bring menus and acknowledge our existence after waiting for nearly 20 mins for them. Twice I had to physically go and get staff from the reception to make an order for more drinks or dessert for the kids. On paying, it took more than 15 minutes to tally our bill (three meals, four drinks and ice cream - not hard!) and after being assured that I could pay by credit card was then told that not one of my cards were working (out of 4 - mastercard and visa). The staff insisted that this was a problem with my banks / cards and wanted cash payment in US dollars, even though I had just used one of the cards successfully on the island that morning. I stated I didn't have US dollars only rupiah. More confusion and longer wait, with nothing explained to me. Ten minutes later I was presented with the bill and I noticed I was still being asked to pay a service charge for credit card. I pointed this out and another ten minutes later (and after staff simply walked away from the desk without explanation) I was presented with another bill which I finally paid in rupiah. In total it took more than 30 minutes to pay for our lunch. No apologies, no explanations. By the time I left, I was furious. We had better and happier service from the $30 budget bungalows at Coral Beach - and much faster service!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed September 21, 2010

The almerik hotel is a lovely hotel in the gorgeous location of Gili Trawangan. The food was very good, but I found the menu a little limited in selection and other good restaurants were a long haul. the horse and cart were no longer 2-3$ but were now 5$. That's not the hotel's fault. I've dinged them on service because of things like taking twenty minutes to get two scoops of ice cream for the kids, and for hanging all my dive gear out in the sun to dry -- that really hacked me off. They said it was because I was leaving that day but everyone elses dive gear was out in the sun too! Other than that though, the water flowed well, in the shower, the water was hot and not salty, the rooms were nicely decorated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family