“A peaceful place”

La Cocoteraie Ecolodge Luxury Tents
Reviewed March 31, 2014

When you know it is not near the main road of Trawangan, you will enjoy it. It is peaceful, relax and really well decorated place. Everything is really well maintained & cleaned.
The tents are lovely and the bathroom are pleasant.
The staff is welcoming and helpful.
The noise of the workers just next to the tent is not a big deal because it starts at 9am and so it is nice to wake up before and enjoy the freshness of the island in the morning & swim with the turtles before 10am.
So we enjoy the time there, it is a good immersion in nature, and sometimes you really need it!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 19, 2014

The bungalows are absolutely beautiful and so is the lounge area we couldn't have wished for better. BUT the hotel is right by a construction site that starts at 8am so don't expect much sleep. There is also no working wi-fi connection. In addition to this we couldn't believe they made you pay for bike rentals since you cannot go to the main area of town without one. It's also a hard cycle ride I'm the dark so be prepared! The main owners were a little rude and unhelpful too. But we can't fault the beautiful 'tents'

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sian510
Nathalie C, Manager at La Cocoteraie Ecolodge Luxury Tents, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Sian,

Thank you for finding the tent and the main area great.

Regarding the WIFI, you are right, the week you came, it wasn't working good. But since last night we have a proper router, which has been installed, so now we have a very good connection everywhere even in the tents.

Concerning the construction next to our property, I do apologize about the noise of the hammer and the machine that cuts the wood. These constructions will be finish the 1st of june 2014.

For all our guests that book through booking.com, directly through our website, or by airbnb... we always inform them in advance that there are constructions starting at 9am till 12am and from 1pm till 6pm. There are no heavy machinery like dump trucks, bulldozers and cranes. All the guests receive a prior email to inform them about that except with Agoda, as we don't have any rights to get in contact with the guest making a booking. So I do apologize for that and I will try again to ask Agoda to send a prior email.

In low season, there are plenty of constructions everywhere on the island or in Bali. Many hotel don't tell in advance to their guests, but we do, to be completely transparent.

As many guests say: Thank you for letting us know. and when they come to our place they realize that anyway, all day long they are outside of the hotel to enjoy the beach, to do some diving, walking... and tell us that even with the construction next door, our place is still quiet compared to central.

We are one amongst few places in Gili Trawangan, where you can still enjoy the noise of the birds at night, the sound of the waves, without listening to the heavy music in central, chickens, or mosque.

You can't find this tranquility if you are close to the main street, so yes we are a little further but this is only 10mn by bike to be in central.

I am sorry if you find strange that we rent the bikes to our guests 2,20 euros for 24h. I think that everywhere in the world, you will pay for your own transport, for example the motorbike in Bali, the subway in London...

We are always trying our best to get better everyday, and your review are important to us.
So thank you Sian for taking some of your time to write your opinion.

We hope to see you again.

Nathalie and all the staff from La Cocoteraie

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We chose this hotel as we are interested with their "Glamping" theme, Glamorous Camping and we glad for this decision. Staffs are very friendly and helpful, great communication via e-mail upon asking them how do we get there from Lombok and throughout our stay. They provide transport from anywhere in Lombok to their place at a fee. The place is quite far from the happening area of GT, but it is close to a beach where you can see the most beautiful sunset, probably ever. Accommodation was great, bed was comfy, tent was very clean, towel and amenities are provided for free. However the aircon was not that strong enough during sunny day but it gets cooler at night. There is no TV, hot water and wifi in the tent. Breakfast was good, the lodge decor was nice and very detailed.Going to/from the lodge at night can be another challenge as it was very dark but they provide us with headlight which comes handy. Overall, we are happy to stay with them, waking up to the sounds of birds create such a different feeling.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Maya,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking your time to write about us.

We are glad that you liked our concept of Glamping.
We try to provide a different kind of accommodation and where you will be more connected to the nature.

The air-conditionning are working well if you close all the windows made of mosquito net. Normally we do explain that to our guests when they arrive. I can imagine that with you, we didn't. sorry Maya.

For your information, the very best WIFI provider that you are able to find in Gili, came to install the new router yesterday, so now you have the WIFI in the tent.

Regarding the TV, we can imagine that some guests want to look at it while on holiday, but this is not going well with our concept of Glamping and "back to nature".

Thank you again Maya and we hope to see you again!

All the team of La Cocoteraie say hello to you!

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

This still remains one of my favourite places to stay in our 2 month trip of Indonesia. However I want to give a truthful review.

The tents are luxurious. The beds wonderful. Linens and towels beautiful. The campus is beautiful. The toiletries are low quality refills in the beautiful personalised glass bottles.

The campus is on the sunset side of the island, a 15minute bike ride from the Main Street of restaurants and bars. This was ideal for us as we wanted quiet- and we got it it was fantastic!

They do provide you with beautiful new (old fashioned style) woman's bikes which are all red. The only issue with this is you have to rent the bikes per 24hrs (this lead to an attempt at over charging as staff changed and didn't know we were still within the same 24hrs). Another issue is with the bikes being slim tyred, and the island having mud track roads, they were not very stable. Everyone else seemed to have bikes with more appropriate tyres. I could tell the owners style went into the choice of bike. She is a beautiful French woman with excellent style, but perhaps this choice wasn't so practical as it was stylish.

Problems incurred: was not warned against scorpions. Had read (I'm a keen biologist) that there are scorpions and snakes on the island but this was laughed off by the staff.
Unaware there WERE scorpions, I was cleaning my teeth in our beautiful bathroom which is technically outside although bamboo and tented off. It is still a damp, woody, dark place which is perfect for scorpions. As such I found myself stung on the foot by one. I will stress that the Gili island Scorpions are NOT LETHAL. Venomous yes, as are all. However, if you have suffered heart, or any major organ failure in the past you may well need the clinic and an anti-venom shot as did I. What actually happened following my sting was staff, unable to reassure me that it was NOT LETHAL, sent me into a state of anxiety. I was also in a lot of pain all night, and couldn't walk on it the next day. During the following day the owner met me and in her attempt to reassure me she admitted it had happened to her more than once. I would have appreciated this info before but I do thank her for caring.
We stayed on campus that day unable to move and ordered food from them.
At the end of our stay we were charged for more bike use than we used, they charged us the cost of their taxi to take us there and back to the little island clinic, and for my little antivenom shot, in addition to the extra food we ate during the sick day of lost holiday.
We contended the bill based on true bike hire days, the establishments responsibility to advise us of scorpions (not deny) or accept payment of damages done to person within business premises, and money lost on food and day of holiday lost due to not being warned.

I argued very delicately and politely with the owner and pressed her to accept some responsibility but it was a struggle and at a push we only managed to get her to accept half of the medical bill. Thank you in any case for accepting some liability, even if it did take too much pressing from my part trying to control a very angry husband.

The staff there are wonderfully friendly. Truly lovely people. However, I feel that the exceptionally smart owner needs to be more welcoming to constructive criticism, without feeling it is a personal insult. I hope to use this establishment again and recommend it to our clients (though I will warn them to use the strictest of diplomacy with the sensitive owner), and I hope by then that the owner will have undertaken the following recommended improvements:

1. Get your staff in the know on advising us travellers what to do in emergencies like mine, or at least taking food orders in English if possible.

2. Please teach your lovely chefs to cook better. I had a curry which on the first day was lovely, the next time I ordered it it was actually a casserole! Breakfast was always a gamble and the most basic western foods weren't cooked or served as they should. Food really was disappointing, especially for the price! Also too many flies but then the island is small with livestock so what can you do :)

3. Please train your staff to advise on security procedures and make it clear that your business does not accept responsibility for scorpion stings.

Lastly, perhaps provide nicer toiletries. You have an establishment that really can be called "luxurious" and is somewhere of true luxury. Please tidy up the last pieces and you are sitting on a gold mine money maker!

I do hope you are well, and well done on what you have achieved. I must end this review staying that this woman built this place with her staff and her own hands literally. Everything is made from renewable materials. I enormously congratulate her for creating luxury from sustainable materials. Everything has a beautiful calming natural feel. What this woman has created is really wonderful and a perfect honeymoon spot, especially with the beach a 5min bike ride with the best sunset we have ever seen, even throughout our travels. Really well done and I hope to see you soon. I shall post photos when I can.

Kind regards
Tiffany

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The only positive I can think of is that some of the staff were very friendly. But I'm afraid the following is all negative. The rubbish dump nearby caused a ridiculous amount of flies to swarm around waiting to pounce on our food. Everywhere else on the island did not have a problem with the flies to this degree. The food was poor quality, very salty and I found a bug in mine. The AC is not effective enough. You cannot relax there between 9am - 5pm because it's too hot. Poor location, the beach is a 5 minute cycle ride, but it's not a nice beach, lots of rubbish. The rental bikes are poorly maintained and broke numerous times, leaving us stranded late at night and we either needed to carry the bikes back or walk back and leave the bikes chained up. There was building works going on 10 yards from the camp site, and on Christmas Day! With tented walls, this was extremely irritating. The wifi was extremely slow and only works in the reception area. The tents are too close together, no privacy. We found a scorpion in our tent, but hey, that's camping! However, some of the zips were broken, so we couldn't completely shut the bugs and heat out. We ended up leaving early and had to pay the full rate for the days we were not there. It does stipulate this in the T&C's. However, the manager did not seem at all bothered that we were leaving early, she didn't even speak to us. I would have thought they would be concerned. If it were my business, I would have been eager to rectify any issues or compensate my guests for their bad experiences. We moved to a lovely place just round the corner called Wilson's Retreat, with none of the above problems. Slightly more expensive but so worth it!

Room Tip: They are all way too close together. Maybe the furthest from the reception so that you don't ha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lean747
Nathalie C, Manager at La Cocoteraie Ecolodge Luxury Tents, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Lean,

First I would like to apologize if you had a bad experience at La Cocoteraie. Your review is very critical, but everybody have their own opinion and the right to express themselves. So I would like to do it myself too:

La Cocoteraie has many reviews on Internet and we have the chance to get a very high positive return that we are proud of.

Like anywhere else, of course sometimes we can have some issues, but we try to solve the problem as soon as possible. For example the zip of the tents are not broken, it is simply unzip. In 5mn time with a tool we can repair it.

We decided to implement La Cocoteraie far from the busy and crowned part of Gili Trawangan, because the concept needs to be in a quiet part. It takes 7mn to to go the main beautiful beach by bike. Maybe 7mn is a big amount of time for some people.

The rubbish place situated in the middle of Gili Trawangan is an issue for all the Gilis. The Association ‘Gili Eco Trust’ is working a lot to get this issue solve. The government finally accepts to take responsibility for it, so soon the rubbish will leave Trawangan every day by boat to Lombok. The rubbish place will disappear. We are all fighting to keep the island clean, but it can take some times to change the mentality. From the hotel, there are 3 different way to go around Gili without passing the rubbish place.

Regarding the flies, we do have some flies mainly 2 months per year due to the raining season. There are some insects as well but Gili is not in Europe, it is a tropical island. Insects or animals that you don’t have in your country exist in Asia.

As you can see on Internet, we have many good comments on the restaurant. Guests congratulate our chef for the nice grilled fish, seafood or dishes that he is doing.

Our bikes are brand new. We bought them in November and December 2013. We maintained them every day. Like any material, it can break but I really think that you have been unlucky.

There is no Internet speed connection on our small island. Wifi can be down due to the weather. I do apologize for that, but there is no better Internet connection available in Lombok.

We do have some constructions (not coming from us) close to our resort till the 1st of june 2014. Again I apologize for this issue. We do now send an email to the guest to inform them about the situation and we offer 40% discount till the 1st of June for compensation.
Regarding the work on the Christmas day, I do apologize but Christmas day in a Muslim country is a normal day.

Our main goal is of course that our guests have a great time during their holiday at our hotel.

We do apologize if in your case, we haven’t been able to do it. I think that I saw you only 5mn and I was speaking with other guests when you left. I realize that you check out earlier than expected 20mn later but you already left.

If one day, you have another problems like that, we would like to advise you to speak to the manger before leaving and explaining your concern, because there are always solutions and concession to make, but only if the concerned persons who can solve the problem are actually aware of the problems you have. The staffs follow the rules of the policy of certain travelling websites but at the end, if I would have known when you were still here, I will have done something for you.

We still hope that you had a good stay in Gili Trawangan.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

A hidden gem - located amongst the coconut palms a short bike ride from the beaches and the busy side of the island. The tents are lovely - spacious, clean and mozzi free! The bathrooms rustic (cold water only) and the communal area bright and breezy with lots of comfortable bean bags to laze about on. The bikes for rent were in good condition and Nathalie was wonderful at arranging things for us for our departure.
The chef is a real find.. we highly recommend the baked fish! Breakfast was also above average.
For those who want to party the main drag was just a ten min bike ride away and riding back at night with the help of our borrowed head torches was one of the high-lights of my stay there.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Linnet,

Thank you to you and your nice family to stay with us for 5 days during Christmas.

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfasts and dinner at our restaurant and i will pass on your compliments to the chef.

Thank you as well for all the compliments about the decoration, comfort and cleanness of our tent.

It was our pleasure to have such a relaxed happy family with us. We hope to see you again while you are leaving in Singapoure.

Please say hello to everybody for us.
Nathalie

Reviewed December 12, 2013

La Cocoteraie is quite a unique set up on this island. It's quiet and easily accessable to the main part of town by bicycles. The tents themselves are solid, the linen is top notch and the beds are comfy. Their kitchen produces very good food thanks to chef who was there from morning to night bless him. Bathrooms are a outside in an enclosed area under a thatched roof. Completely private with cold water, not that you need it any warmer. The only issue with the bathroom is when there is rain it floods the bathroom completely and drenches everything in it. The water is a brown coloured mess once it's goes through the roof. We were assured that the roof was designed so that there was a run off and the bathroom would be protected from the occasional torrential down pour. It didn't work out that way. I would reccomend keeping your tolietries inside,towels, everything. I also thought a turn down service would have been nice. Otherwise close your tent completely and roll down the mosquito net if you are gone from morning to night. If the bathroom problem was fixed this resort would truely be a 4-5 star resort. I will definately be back either way!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Nathalie C, Owner at La Cocoteraie Ecolodge Luxury Tents, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Danielle,

We would like to thank you for your review about La Cocoteraie. We are glad that you did appreciate your stay with us.

Regarding the bathroom's problem, you are completely right. La Cocoteraie being a new hotel which opened in August 2013, we never had to deal with the rainy season. You arrive just at this moment. And we did discover almost at the same time of you, that when it was raining there were some leak in the bathroom. So we already start the construction of new bathrooms. You can see the pictures on our FB page. We build them as soon as we can, but it will take few weeks to have the 8 rooms done.

We hope to see you again, and when you will come back you will have brand new bathroom with no leak!