“Hotel by the beach” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Hotel by the beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room is nice though a bit dated and located just by the beach (but so many others hotel also with the same advantage). I came to the hotel location by their boat (small boat) which I thought it's a big boat. I rather suprise and scary by this as i cant swim. Lucky the waves not too big at that time.
For shower, the hotel provide salty water but they also provide fresh water with bucket in the bathroom for washing.
I did not try their SPA or other facility in the hotel as i was busy travelling outside. So i can't comment much on their service.
During buffet breakfast however, the staff is friendly and attentive. But the watermelon is not fresh anymore.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BOD664666, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Mr. Hadi,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at Hotel Vila Ombak, Gili Trawangan. Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel during your recent visit to Hotel Vila Ombak.

Your feedback is highly appreciated and we are very committed to improve our hotel facilities in order to giving the impeccable service to our customer.

We are sorry to read that you have not enjoyed another hotel facilities since you are also on business trip. I therefore look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Vila Ombak, Gili Trawangan in the near future.

Thank you for having stayed with us.

With kind regards,
Imam Wahyudi - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed at Villa Ombak in December, 2012. I prepaid for 3 nights in one of the "hut" rooms via hotels.com.

The hut could be charming, but it's run-down. Felt more cramped than the hotel's website photos suggested. You have to walk up a flight of stairs to enter the room from the front. Within the room, there's a back stairway to the outdoor bathroom. The back staircase is terribly designed--the first step is a far reach and definitely not nice to navigate if you're sleepy or have been drinking.

Although the area above the toilet is nominally sheltered, it was leaking, so after (and certainly during) rainfall, there was rainwater dribbling over you if you used the toilet.

The hotel feels like it's gotten too big for its britches. The service was appalling. One person servicing the entire pool area: that is, one man taking orders, making the drinks and delivering them. This is not a small hotel--there are a *lot* of rooms. We saw exasperated guests just cancel their drink orders and leave because it was taking so long.

The breakfast buffet can't handle a full (or nearly full) house. There wasn't enough seating for folks and there weren't enough glasses for drinks, and various food stations were spent and empty at mid-morning.

If the hotel had set expectations as a high-end backpacker's hotel, rather than as "first class accommodations" it might have been tolerable. As it was, we were unhappy enough with the accommodations that we decided to look for another hotel on the island--the first time I've ever changed hotels mid-stay.

As I prepaid for the the three nights, I didn't expect nor ask for a refund for the remaining two nights--although I asked if they could offer any consideration (e.g. at least make the gesture of writing off our $15.00 tab at the super-slow bar) since we were leaving dissatisfied. As they weren't willing to make any consideration, I said I would keep the room unoccupied for the nights I paid for and that I would return to check out in two days.

When I returned two days later to check out, I visited our room, only to find someone else's belongings visible through the glass and the locks changed. They had rented out my room to another guest!

I know exactly what happened: the staff knew we weren't coming back other than to check out. Moreover, it was high season and they were nearly full occupancy. I told them as much when I wanted to leave after the first night: provide me some nominal consideration for my dissatisfaction and I'll check out early as I know you can rent the rooms out again. Instead, they refused, and just went ahead and changed the locks and re-rented the room when we left the property. If I hadn't gone back to the room to check, I would have been none the wiser. What's galling is the sheer dishonesty of the front desk staff. They even attempted to argue that I had checked out early, even though I had explicitly said I was keeping the room and moreover, when I asked to produce some records or paperwork showing that I had checked out, they couldn't. In the end, instead of just comp'ing me a $15 bar tab, they had to refund me for my unused nights since they couldn't very well argue that someone else wasn't staying in a room I had paid for! On the other had, since they rented the room out to someone else, they didn't lose any money and so I'm sure they could care less.

I would recommend Pondok Santi Estate (where we switched to) in a heartbeat over Vila Ombak. Awesome service, private beach, desalinated, hot water, etc. etc. There's also Ko-Ko-Mo Resort which looked quite nice too, and has a great restaurant to boot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank pangloss
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your experience at Hotel Vila Ombak, Gili Trawangan. I am very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Hotel Vila Ombak, myself and the team strive to provide a excellent service experience for every customer, therefore we are very happy to receive your feedback.

You highlighted several problems regarding our quality and standard. Please be assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems and prevent future occurrence. We appreciate to sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. We learned that you had unpleasant stay on December last year. High Season period is always our favorite and challenging moment for all our team however we are very sure there are still a lot to be improved. We were pleased that at the time of your check out you met our Executive Assistant Manager, Mr. Made Mada and finally received your refund – should the contact happened sooner we were sure many of the inconvenience you had could have been avoided. We would also like to let you know that we are having in plan to refurbish our Lumbung Hut and as it is our guest’s favorite room type for young couples.

We are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests therefore we do really appreciate your feedback in regards of our team, service and also the hotel facilities to be able to do our best to improve the quality.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience, we assured your next visit will more inline with your expectations.

Sincerely Yours,
Imam Wahyudi - General Manager
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

It helps that we didn't expect much out of hotels and service on Gili Trawangan. We were satisfied in some areas, but generally this hotel is not really a good value for the money.

We have booked a hut. We were impressed by those at the beginning. Rooms looked really original and exotic. Bathroom is outside, accessible by a narrow staircase. We had to be really careful in the evening. I did like the idea, but using the stairs every time was just inconvinient.

In front of the hut and under the entrance was a large bed, which I used well for relaxing and reading. Unfortunately, we were confronted with the bedbugs. It was unbearable to stay here any longer. They solved our problem by giving us a room upgrade. Then we moved to a room on one level. That was much better, so much nicer than the huts with the stairs. Progress on al fronts.

Internet connection was unfortunately not available in the rooms, only in library area near restaurant.

The pool has to be renovated soon, some tiles let loose. But we rearely used it anyway.

Overall we were happy with the second room and the location of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
rennes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been in this hotel for 1 month 4 years ago and at that time this hotel was excellent.
Service, conditions of the beach bungallow, and food at the breakfast and dinner.
4 years later as you will see on the pictures, the painting in the bungallow is falling a part as the wall in the bathroom.
The rain goes through the roof we had all our belongings wet.

And the for the worst, the security is not assume, we have been stolen scubadiving material and hotel towels.

So i would not recommend this hotel anymore as also the hotel ombak a brother hotel( the beach is full of dead coral, bugs in the rooms and so on....)

And the management mr Mada was not at the level he did not care about the keeping of this hotel, and the security of the place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Remy L
perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a beautiful resort. Stunning tropical trees and flowers and the entire grounds are well maintained. Friendly staff where nothing is a bother. The rooms were very cute, in a "hut" style which really added to the overall feel. Nice large terrace to the front too.
Breakfast was good, with a broad selection.
Also, a choice of 3 pools! We stayed around the main one at the front which had a livelier atmosphere.
At 4pm happy hour starts, that's buy one get one free on cocktails. I can recommend Mai Tai for sure.
We also dined at the Boardwalk restaurant (part of the resort) and the food was good.
Wifi was not working for our entire stay, but we found an internet cafe down the road.
We utilised the free 15 minute massage and it was the best one we had whilst in Bali.

Room Tip: Near to pool area
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We reserved a beach side cottage which we thought would be on the beach!it wasn't!tired bathrooms with salt water showers and sink meant it was difficult to get really clean after days beach activities.smelly drains,poor room lighting,no proper wifi,despite everywhere else having these facilities.try Scallywags or Beach house for better value or Gili Air for more peaceful island

Room Tip: Try next door hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My family stayed at Hotel Vila Omabak for 10days in Jan13.
The service we got from the Hotel Staff was FANTASTIC. They upgraded our room and gave a meal gift. Hotel Vila Ombak is for those looking for a quality and the best location on Gili T.
This is not a back packers stay (go somewhere else!); this is a quality stay, the room we got was great! The staff we dealt with couldnt do enough to help-serve us.
I went back for 2 massages at the Spa, that was good!...

It was a great experince for us, the service was great, our 10days in Jan13 was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family