Gili Trawangan, what a fantastic place this is. Look, we found this place on the web and thought that seems OK let’s go . So we decided to stay at the Hotel Vila Ombak. We booked via the internet and the staff with booking were very helpful. They organised all our transfers from the Mataram airport on Lombok, including taxi and speed boat to the island, which all went like clockwork. We flew from Bali to Lombok but perhaps, in retrospect, the Gili fast cat might have been better although more expensive?
We arrived and were given a free drink and ushered into the most beautiful room. We stayed for 6 days and had a great time. The food in the Hotel is very good. We ate in three other restaurants on the Gili but we decided that the Vila Ombak food was the best, so we just ate there. Vila Ombak has an excellent fish choice with fresh fish brought in every day so you just pick your own. They know how to cook it as well. The lobster and barracuda were superb. The beach side restaurant was magic with a great band that played covers, not too loud, just right to enjoy the night.
The hotel breakfast was fantastic; a huge buffet with just about everything imaginable to eat. Fresh croissants, omelets, waffles, jaffels, fruit salad, eggs and bacon, Indonesian style rice, you name it. And good coffee!!!! The staff were most polite and attentive. The rooms were fresh and clean and very secure. Good beds and with a great Indo style outdoor bathroom. We loved it.
While we were there we decided to do a diving course. The hotel has the Vila Ombak Diving Academy. We thought it might be a bit expensive, being attached to the hotel, so we checked out the others on the island but when we compared prices we went with the Vila Ombak Diving Academy and we were very glad we did. This dive academy is PADI certified. Apparently some others on the Island aren’t so look out. The staff were fantastic again. Maria in the office was most helpful and polite. She set us up to do the course and said “look if you’re not sure just try and then let us know …no pressure”. Diego, the boss, was very experienced and helpful. We had HarJanto as our dive instructor. He was just the best. The whole family did the course (including my fourteen year old daughter) and we all felt completely confident in his hands. My wife got a bit nervous but HarJanto just calmly, and with and experience handling difficult situations and patience, coaxed her through. We are now open water divers. The dive boat was well run safe and fun. All the gear was in good condition. And the coral reef we saw just blew our minds….. The fish, the turtles, the clown fish……the sheer beauty of it all. We whole heartedly recommend the Vila Ombak Diving Academy.
While we were on Gili Trawangan we did a sunset walk to the western side of the island (definitely recommended) and stumbled onto a new hotel just completed. We had a drink at the bar. This looks even better than Vila Ombak. We asked to see the rooms and had a guided tour by the hotel staff. Apparently the hotel is open …but only just. This must be Indonesia’s best kept secret for sure. Wow. The hotel, I am not sure of the name, ’Sunset Beach Hotel’ I think, has a huge 50 meter pool, unbelievable rooms and opulence. We didn’t stay there but it looks just superb. Next time (we are going back) we will stay there. We have traveled the world many times and we have never written a blurb on a place but after our great time on GiIi ‘Tragwang’ (as my daughter called it) we just felt compelled to tell the world how good it all was. Paul, Carmin and family from Sydney Australia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Vila Ombak, the first international hotel on the magical island of Gili Trawangan, is a place that balances the comforts of first class accommodation with the natural beauty that surrounds.The Hotel Vila Ombak features the traditional building style of Lombok, and its neighboring islands, to blend harmoniously with the island's landscape.Hotel Vila Ombak is the winner of World Travel Awards as the Indonesia's Leading Hotel 2012, Indonesia Travel & Tourism Awards as Indonesia Leading Island Resort - Lombok 2013, and World Luxury Hotel Awards 2013 as the Indonesia Leading Hotel 2013. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Vila Ombak reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Ombak Hotel
- Vila Ombak Gili Trawangan
- Hotel Vila Ombak Gili Islands/Gili Trawangan