Gili Beach Bum Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
GK's Homestay(Gili Trawangan)
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
White Bamboo Resort(Gili Trawangan)
Panda Hostel(Gili Trawangan)
Good 3.5/5
    Yumana Gili Trawangan(Gili Trawangan)
    Villa Unggul(Gili Trawangan)
    Very Good 4/5
    Gili Ocean Club(Gili Trawangan)
    Marygio Resort(Gili Trawangan)
    Excellent 5/5
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewslava barpool barbanana pancakesneat hostelbig cushionssolo travellerpre drinkingair confree breakfast isshared bathroomfavourite hostelmeet other travellersplace to staylocation is amazingping pongdrop off pointhot shower
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed August 27, 2013

Gili Hostel is the epicenter of social activity in the early evening for backpackers. They have really accommodating and fun staff (my friends and I actually partied with a few employees), and the people you will meet are typically really trustworthy and really fun. This is not the place if you want to sleep early in the night, or if you want to be incredibly clean haha.

In my experience however, the pitfalls (cleanliness, occasional bug bites, and trouble with Hostelworld) fall by the wayside when you consider the nice people you meet. The cook in the morning is incredibly kind (tip her! :D). The people who I met here over the course of 10 days became pretty strong friends and now we will meet up in different parts of Bali. We slowly managed to get into one room with eachother and we partied and beached all together. It was a week to remember!..

Below I spelled out a few tips, but I want to wish you guys a beautiful time in Gili and the Hostel! Keep your mind open and say hello to everyone and you will have an amazing time!

A few tips:

- 150,000 rupiah/night with a 50,000 deposit
    - Warning: This hostel is hard to find! I uploaded a pic that shows the (one) sign that you will see on the road. There will also be a "Walk this Way!" sign that you can see if you're coming from the opposite direction.
    - There's breakfast from 8am-10am, which consists of one main item (big banana pancake, eggs, omelette) and fruit and juice/coffee. There's also fresh squeezed fruit juice that you can pay ~30,000 rupiah for.
    - ^ This place becomes a great place to chill and relax during the day, if you're not feeling like going diving, snorkeling, or beaching it.
    - Backpackers from all over the island will congregate at the bar on top of hostel around 9-10pm. This makes for an awesome place to get affordable drinks and beer and to socialize with other people. Most people are from 20-30yo. Bathroom in the back of the bar.
    - WiFi is best on the bottom floor, and toward the front of the hostel.
    - Book early and be on top of it, because this place books up fast! Heard some booking problems with Hostelworld though so beware!
    - For 10,000/kg they will wash your clothes. Be careful about mixing whites and darks though!

Room Tip: Rooms toward the front have better WiFi, but no matter where you get you'll be sharing a bathroom with another room. Either way, you will hear pounding and loud music at night in the bar above.
    • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
    Reviewed August 16, 2013

After reading all the reviews of the hostel, I really wanted to love it. I did at first, too. It is the perfect place to meet people as a solo traveler. It does have a cool layout. It is centrally located.

But... it was also infested with bed bugs. I came back the second night to find no less than 15 of them crawling around my bed, two other beds, the walls, etc. I was intentionally looking as I had woken up with tons of bites that morning which did not seem like mosquito bites. This confirmed it. I ended up sleeping outside in the restaurant that night.

The next morning I heard from other backpackers that they had a problem the week before. Clearly they still had not managed to get rid of it. The manager was not particularly apologetic ("this just happens in Indonesia") and I had to argue to get a refund for my two nights.

So, a cool place, but definitely needs a clean (also true of the toilets, which by morning time were usually strewn with toilet paper and other garbage) -- and not the friendliest management.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
    11022013, Manager at Gili Beach Bum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Hi there,
    Thanks for taking the time to review us , as a new hostel, guests' reviews really do help us to see where we need to focus our energy. I'm sorry that you didn't have them best time with us because of the bed bug problem. This was difficult to deal with at the time as we were fully booked and could only deal with the problem as best we could until we calmed down. Thankfully the problem is only isolated to one room, which we have now closed until it is treated properly. This is our first experience with bed bugs and as any hotel owner would tell you it is a steep learning curve. Having said tha,t we feel confident that we can now treat the room thoroughly and rest assured it won't be opened again until we are sure the little blighters are dead! I'm sorry you felt there was hesitance in giving you a refund, I'm sure that the reception staff just felt they weren't able to do this until you had spoken to me. All guests were given a refund and I hope that they still enjoyed their time with us.

In term of cleanliness, Rooms are cleaned twice a day by housekeeping once after checkout and once in the evening, this remains our top priority as lots of bodies means lots of mess. aha. Maybe we will think about having a member of staff clean bathrooms during the night also.

I'm sorry you found me to be unapologetic, this wasn't my intention. I merely meant that it was a shame that your time with us had been tainted by something oustide our control. Thanks again for your review and I honestly hope that if you are ever on the Gilis' you would consider us again.

Happy travels from all @ Gili Hostel.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

You can pretty much imagine exactly what Gili T Hostel is like from the reviews on here and there are many - but I just wanted to add how nice the staff were! Particularly the woman (name forgotten) who makes breakfast in the mornings. We saw some guests speaking to some staff very rudely because they were frustrated about something minor and we thought that the staff dealt with it very well.

Thanks for making us welcome and working hard to make sure we were happy, you guys are doing a good job! And the breakfast is also tasty!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
    Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

This place had an amazing mix of all that you could want from a hostel! During the day it was chilled out and you could relax in their rooftop bar, watch movies, or play golden eye on their projector. It attracts an awesome mix of travellers, and at night is a hot spot for pre drinks before heading out. The rooms are funkily designed and from what I hear, the place is only going to get better over the coming months :) I really could not recommend staying here any more! I came for 3 days n stayed for 8! Try a vodka joss (or 10) and enjoy the amazing hospitality from the staff! Finally, if your name is jessica, request to stay in room 1 and sleep in the first bed on your right!

• Stayed: July 2013
    Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This place was amazing,for the 4th time that I come to this place,last time i stay 2 month (almost 9 weeks),a place that is very strategic and very appropriate for you guys as backpacker,with room rates of $13-$15 / night,you can enjoy a room with a dorm and minimalis interior design,you feel the new atmosphere here and felt like home,meet other backpackers from all over the world,you can relax on the rooftop while savoring a drink or a bottle of beer (the cheapest alcohol places in gili),especially after 7 pm,this place was filled with a guests who like a party,drinking,joking,sharing,even its possibility for you guys got a roommate (haha)
    you guys should come..
    You like party? You like drink drunk punk? You like something new?

HERE IS THIS!!

GILI HOSTEL FUCCKK YEAH!!!

Enjoy!!