“Clean, fun, good location, a little expensive”

Gili Beach Bum Hotel
Krabi Town, Thailand
“Clean, fun, good location, a little expensive”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Gili hostel is a great variation to the choices of accommodation on gili T. Anyone looking for a fun atmosphere this is where you want to stay. It's clean and the location is good, and they have aircon. Positives: rooftop bar, movies in the afternoon, easy to meet people, staff is amazingly helpful. The only negative pointers are: no hot water (at least when I was there in March 2013) and it's a little pricier than any of the other bungalows around.

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Really good experience. Met nice people, located perfectly by the beaches and all the nice restaurants there. Rooms nicely designed, bathrooms very new and shared among two 7-bed dorms. No internet though, if needed. But the restaurants have free wifi anyways.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Pros: 1) Rooftop bar for cheap drinks and socialising 2) Friendly breakfast ladies serving up lovely banana pancakes or scrambled eggs 3) AC in the rooms

Cons: 1) NO WIFI - very annoying 2) Smelly toilets, even after being cleaned 3) Front desk often left unattended, therefore no-one to answer your queries/extend your stay 4) A misleading sign saying your bed is secure until 11am -- only to be told at 10am you have to leave when you want to extend your stay :/ :/ 5) Some lockers unable to lock
6) Also ...bizarrely, the hostel manager told me that there was NOTHING to beyond the strip and nowhere to eat other than the restaurants ...not true at all :/

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
11022013, Manager at Gili Beach Bum Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us, we really aprreaciate it. We're very happy that you had a good time with us. Its a shame that you were unable to extend your stay with us, but we are regularly full and have online bookings. Our sign in reception says "please secure your bed before 11am" but we work on a first come first serve basis as most hostels do. We also have a sign that reads " Please reserve your bed for the entirity of your stay" I will change these signs to make them a bit clearer as we always prefer guests already staying with us to have priority over new bookings. I'm sorry this wasn't clear enough and you missed out on extending.. In terms of the bathrooms, there was a lot a rain during your stay and we have only recently realised that the two are linked. Things are always a work in progress when you are a new hotel and we are now adressing the problem differently by changing our septic tank system. I'm sorry that you misunderstood the informtion given to you by me regarding the lay out of the island etc. 95% of all business are on the beach front and there are no restaraunts inside the island other than a few small warungs. I hope this didnt impact how you explored the island during your time here. Thanks again for your review, suggestions are always important especially at this stage. Thanks for being one of our first guests and hopefully you can stay with us again in the future and see us in full swing! Happy travels!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 10, 2013

A great place to meet people. The most unusual dorm I've stayed in. Upstairs at the bar is a haven from the heat, great in the afternoons to watch movies/read/nap. Free water refills were great. Cheap drinks. Friendly and helpful staff. Plugs inside the lockers were a really nice touch too. No wifi at the time I stayed but it actually meant that people spoke to each other :) I think the breakfast could be improved if I am to be very fussy! On a whole, I really enjoyed my stay here and was devastated going back to Bali, best of luck gili hostel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed here for 8 nights in march and loved the place, hostel was clean and room was funky! Great place to meet other backpackers in the bar upstairs and a really nice place to stay!! Defo go if your looking to meet people have fun and a good party!

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Gili Hostel was amazing! Loved everything about it, great location, great bar, laid back vibe, met great people and overall had a very enjoyable stay, will definitely be back!!! Keep up the good work guys!!

• Stayed March 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Pros:
- Quick reply and detail information provided to me by email.
- Location
- Artistic décor
- Cool rooftop
- Working AC

Cons:
- Need to work on their cleanliness for toilet and rooftop pillows’ cover and table. Their toilet can be really stinks. I think it’s more because the guests don’t really flush well. I saw a dirty toilet one morning and informed it to their reception. But when I returned from my dive, it was still dirty. While on their rooftop bar, their pillows' cover and their table have many stains that made it look dirty
- A bit confuse with their reception who asked me to check out at 10am while in my booking, it showed 1pm for check out.
- No payment receipt. First accommodation I stayed that didn’t give me any payment receipt ><”

Overall, it is a really nice hostel and it’s new. Rooftop is a nice place to chill-out with a very affordable drinks compared to other cafes on the main street. So it’s too bad that they have those cleanliness issues. I think it’s one of the most important reason when choosing accommodation, at least it is for me. So if you ask me, will I stay there again ? I will think twice about it. Cause what I saw and smelled in their toilet are really unpleasant.

Room Tip: - choose the bunk in the second level for more privacy. - don't forget to bring your own padlo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
11022013, Manager at Gili Beach Bum Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to review us online. I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere at the hostel and the hostel itself. In terms of cleanliness we are aware that this is a top priority for us and have decided you employ extra staff in the evening so that rooms are cleaned twice a day. We will also be ordering extra sets of cusion covers so that they can be changed more frequently. Tables on the rooftop are cleaned regularly but are painted in a sort of shabby chic style that runs throughout the hostel which can maybe be a little misleading. We apologise if the standard of cleanliness wasn't up to standard during your stay. We are working hard to improve this and we hope you will think about staying with us again should you come back. We think you'll be happy! Safe travels and thanks again.