I have to agree with one of the previous reviewers, who said that the Ombak does certain things extremely well, and others less so.
I will explain this statement in a moment, but I also feel appropriate to make the following disclaimer: I have paid around 50 GBP a night for a Deluxe room (2 people, my husband and I).
We spent 2 nights, breakfast not included.
I think it's important that I say this from the outset so that my comments are put into perspective.
Now, the Pros for us were:
1. FRESH WATER - oh yes, that's a rarity in the Gili T. for very obvious reasons. Many hotels (in the 4 star category) don't offer fresh water to shower, but make some available in an urn for teeth brushing. Therefore, I was delighted to have hot water in abundance (have no complaints of water pressure or bathroom facilities).
2. BIG CLEAN ROOM - we stayed in a Deluxe room which is the entry level category (i.e. cheapest room) and it was big, spacious and clean with a nice outside patio with chairs and table.
3. NICE RESORT AS A WHOLE - it's a pretty resort, well kept and with a beautiful reception.
4. SWIMMING POOLS - nice and spacious, of fresh water and overlooking the sea.
5. LOCATION - Now, this is very subjective. I liked the location since the resort overlooks the sea and you can have a drink watching the sunset at the beach (which is literally a stone throw away from the hotel). However, the resort is not exactly in the center (you will need to hire a kart, walk or take a bike). A kart costs about 75,000 rupiahs for 2 people, and a little more (100,000 rupiahs for 4) each way. So realistically that could set you back about 10/15 GBP a day, assuming a return trip to town by kart each day. Clearly not the hotel's fault but worth knowing.
6. THE STAFF - it was our wedding anniversary and the staff made a very nice effort with flowers and a cake waiting for us in the room. Such a nice touch!
A couple of things for improvement (which should not detract from the beauty of this hotel):
1. THE SAFE IN THE ROOM - I think other reviewers have mentioned that it is not stuck to the wardrobe (i.e. it can be removed from the premises).
2. MAINTENANCE - The hotel is fairly new and yet some areas are already in deer need of maintenance (e.g. deck of the pools)
3. BOOKINGS AT RECEPTION - On a few occasions over 2 days our karts that we had booked at reception did not arrive at all or had to be re-booked with delays. On one occasion it coincided with a diving trip, where we were asked to arrive on time. However, as long as you allow 15/20 mins extra time when leaving the hotel you will be fine.
I recommend this place if you are happy with the pros, and don't mind a couple of flows!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Ombak Sunset is the sister hotel to the popular Hotel Vila Ombak and a new addition to the Island inspired hotel group, The Ombak Group. This idyllic beachfront, garden resort features 152 rooms in 6 categories each with it's own mixture of Indonesian flavors fusing traditional Balinese, Javanese and Lombok Sasak architecture and crafts with modern western facilities. It's fusion concept that makes the Island of Gili Trawangan and the Hotel Ombak Sunset such a unique and refreshing experience ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Evoline ltd and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Ombak Sunset reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Ombak Sunset Gili Islands/Gili Trawangan