“between poor and average”
Review of Hotel Ombak Sunset

Hotel Ombak Sunset
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The room was ok.. Located a lil bit at the side of hustle and bustle of gili. Love the fact that they have their own port (provided you ask them to fetch you), else you'll need to drag your luggage or use cidomo (horse cart) from gili trawangan port, which i find troublesome if you have small kids. Breakfast was ok.. Love the garden and the beach area. Food at the restaurant not bad.

The thing that we dislike is the outdoor bathroom. It looks nice.. but not really practical. Best to take shower before evening comes (it gets windy at night). The bathroom water (shower and tap) is salt water. Salt water is sticky and slimy.. They provided a bucket of fresh water with a scoop made of coconut. But it takes forever to take a shower from the bucket. And I have to wash my son's milk bottle from this bucket. It was alot of work and trouble. Sigh..

Swimming pool is from salt water too.. My son loves the swimming pool. However it has rough edges, so got to be careful.

Another thing is that I think the staffs are not well trained. They are nice and friendly. But need a lot of improvement. There is long queue for check in and check out. Furthermore, on the 2nd day they had to fix our bathroom because the water heater is located in the outdoor bathroom garden, so they dig the soil, dirtied up our room, and we have to ask them to leave every time we need to use the bathroom.. super troublesome. the worse thing is that they didn't informed us anything beforehand, neither offer us to move to another room. we were surprise to see the repairman inside after we came back from breakfast. so my husband ask for a new room, luckily there was an available room.

Overall, I would not come back to this hotel. But I have to say.. considering the price the place is not so bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dave's mommy
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ombak Sunset

Reviewed October 31, 2013

great spacious room. the bathroom is huge. internet speed is so so.
they have private beach! sunset was awesome. and BBQ during sunset.
food also great! offering various types of food!

since this more likely private beach, then u cannot expect many crowded like in villa ombak hotel. little bit far from the harbour.

but beware before u sleep, last staying, there's a medium worm creature crawling in my bed, so i need to kill with spray pesticide.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Dine on a clean and peaceful beach far away from the clutter, crowding and smoke of the main commercial area. Great sunset views with a caressing breeze and fresh air. Friendly, english-speaking staff was very accommodating, willing to bring dinner to our lounge chairs when all the restaurant tables were fully booked. Best Ikan Sambal I've had on the island. Higher prices than elsewhere on the island but still cheap (under $10 USD) for a classy dinner. I highly recommend renting bikes or taking a mule unless you love looong walks on the beach. Restroom and outdoor sinks were clean and attractive. Stray cat waiting to pounce on my food was a nuisance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Ombak Sunset. The hotel is located at the quiet side of the island, which makes it a perfect accomodation for a relaxing holliday. If you want to party, rent a bike and in a few minutes you are at the other side of the island where all the bars and restaurants are located.
The staff of Ombak Sunset were all very nice. We stayed in a bungalow which was very nice (and clean) with a bathroom outside. On the island sometimes the power shuts down. However, due to a private alternative power source, this does not give a lot of inconvenience on Ombak Sunset (such as the airco that keeps working).
The hotel is on the quiet site of the Island which we liked very much. Getting there you will need a horse car (fixed price). If we wanted to go to the busy part of the Island, we took a 15 minutes bike ride. The bikes were available for rent at the hotel (for 12 of 24 hours).
Also dinner was very good and the sunset is great (including cocktail happy hour that lasts for 2 hours). We flew from Lombok and the hotel arranged (for an additional payment) a transfer to the airport early in the morning. If we would have arranged it ourselves it may have been a bit cheaper but it saved us a lot of hassle and an additional day of traveling the day before. You can order food and beverages by the pool, which is really nice. For dinner, we recommend the saté, which is served on a mini-barbeque which makes it a great experience. Breakfast is presented as a buffet, which contains both European and Asian food. We really liked our stay at Ombak Sunset, and we we would definately go back when spending holliday at Gili Trawangan again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ariejr
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is quite far from central..some people don't like it, but you can enjoy the beautiful gili trawangan in peace. You can easily go to central by traditional transport ( cidomo). Hotel staff will help you to call cidomo. They have beautiful beach in front of the hotel.
My son (14) said:
The breakfast is too simple..omelette station cannot be seen.
My daughter (11) said:
The staff was so kind... Their hospitality is the best..everyone greet and smile
My suggestion:
The hair drier is too small, it takes long time to get the hair dry..

After all, I think stay in this hotel was beautiful experience during vacation in gili trawangan

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The hotel is very nice, the rooms are new and clean. Service is very helpful, but they don’t reply to emails. I wrote them emails few days before my trip because I wanted to set the timing for pick up and book massage. There was no reply at all. We should be getting welcome drink, tower and pick up. None of that happened. When leaving, after reminding them that there was supposed to be free pick up, they paid for transfer to the harbor, but we had to wait for it at least 15min. The restaurant is nice, the food is good, but when we asked for dry wine we got sweet wine. The waiter offered to replace it but there was no dry wine by glass to change it to. I picked this hotel to use spa. They have hot stone massage and hair treatments in the offer, but none of it is available. The back massage was ok, it was difficult to relax because the masseuse was talking, and she had some dry nail skin that I could feel when she was massaging me. At the end it was a nice stay, but the hotel is a little bit far from the “center”, so it’s good for those who like to walk or ride a bike. Also I would expect better service for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Dear Member,

I'm taking time to share with you my feelings about my stay in this Hotel.
First of all, the hotel is far away from the center and if you don't find a taxi(a mule) to take you there, you will have to walk 40 mns with your suitcase on a dusty road.
Once you arrive at the hotel it looks stunning, especially at sunset time. Checking is long there is a line. It takes 30 mns...rooms are big, with amenities, AC.
second of all, The restaurant is not so good and the service is so long.

The swimming pool is the hotel's best asset, it's big, clean, and they offer you coffee.
The beach in front of the hotel is very windy, dirty, and not organised. Nobody to serve you or to help you, even at the bar.

The concierge is useless. I asked if it was possible to rent bicycles. He said they only have 50 bicycles for more than 100 rooms in the hotel, it's such a shame. You ll have to walk back to the center to rent one yourself.
I asked the concierge to do scuba diving. He told me to come at two pm in front the of the scuba center but when I showed up nobody was there and the concierge had desappeared...
If you plan on going to Gili, book all your activities before your arrival.
Two nights there is enough, one night would be too short.
I asked to meet with the manager but it is impossible...
I would not go again in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends