“Nice staff but bad experience”
Review of Gili Divers

Gili Divers
Ranked #7 of 44 Tours in Gili Trawangan
More attraction details
Owner description: Gili Divers is an Swedish/English-run dive shop with an experienced team of instructors and divemasters. Our instructors have dived in many destinations throughout Indonesia and the world. In addition, they all have certified hundreds of student divers from beginner to professional level. At Gili Divers, we believe in a very personalized and high standard of customer service. We usually dive in small groups up to 4 people to give you the best service! Our equipment is new, we use Aqualung and Apeks, and we have an in-house equipment service technician. We offer all dive courses from beginner up to professional level. Our instructor team is multilingual so we can provide your diving education and course materials in your native tongue. We are very lucky to be located in the fashionable northeast of the island, right next to the best beach on the island and still only a short walk from the hectic central. Gili Trawangan offers great warm water diving, lots of turtles and colourful reef fish! - Come as a stranger - Leave as a friend. On the beach we have a very chilled out beach bar, perfect for a cold beer after diving. There are two types of accommodation, either stay with the other divers at Gili Dive Camp or get a private room in Gili Hotel. All our rooms have AC and fresh water, the private rooms also have hot water, tv/movies & breakfast. Our Komodo live aboard can take you on further adventures over in Flores and Komodo national park. The liveaboards depart from Gili Divers 3 times a month. Please ask us for more information.
San Francisco
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Nice staff but bad experience”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Signed up to go scuba diving with two others. I was certified years ago but had not gone diving in a long time. It was my girlfriends first time and her friends second time. Began training and felt very comfortable with the instructor. Eventually got out to the pool and went through all the hand signals ect. Before we knew it we began getting ready to jump on the boat. While gearing up on the beach one of the instructors knocked over an air tank which made me a little nervous because I know what can happen with compressed air. Shrugged it off and jumped on the boat. Upon reaching the dive site there was miscommunication between the instructors about tying up to a buoy. Our instructor was not pleased with the other instructor who seemed younger and less experienced. All gear was double checked and we were off. Our small group of three divers and one instructor were going to climb down the rope connected to the buoy for an easier descent. Upon entering the water I was the first to go down because I had some experience. I went down along with a cameraman who decided to come with us for photos. Very nice guy. After I reached the bottom I began to notice a stinging sensation in my hands. The rope from the buoy had sharp shells and barnacles that had cut my hands in three places without me even realizing. The exact same thing happened to my girlfriend on the way down as well. A small warning would have been nice as I am guessing this isn't the first diver it has happened to. Not to mention blood in the water usually attracts the wrong kind of attention. Upon reaching the bottom I found it very difficult to stay down even though my vest was completely deflated which I checked multiple times to see that all the air was out. I needed more weights to stay down. My friend was having the same problem as well. Once everyone was down we began trying to swim as a group which was difficult because 2 of us kept floating to the top. Within about 3-4 minutes the instructor checked my tank which was already down to a hair below 500lbs. Dive over for me. He brought everyone to the top and told me that I was going to have to go back to the boat because I used all my air. But before I went to the boat he asked for a weight off my weight belt for my friend. Obviously neither my friend or I had enough weights to stay down. An issue that should have been taken care of before we left. What was supposed to be a 40 minute dive for me turned into 10-15 minute fluke that actually felt like 5 minutes. I think there was not enough air in the tank for a 40 minute dive to begin with, another thing that should have been checked before departure. After getting back in the boat about 20-25 minutes went by before they surfaced. I really expected the instructor to speak up and maybe give me a partial refund considering the circumstances but no luck there. I will not be returning to Gili Divers in the future.

Visited February 2013
8 Thank jetsetterspe

• Indonesian first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tremendous!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Took in here for five nights and decided to get my open water course done here too.

The course was really good, and all the dives were amazing. Safety first as it should be.

Superb staff.

Nice rooms.

Ubud, Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Personal and attentive”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I dove with Bonnie and he was amazing! I hadn't dove in sometime and he was super patient and understanding as have ear issues. I just did two fun dives which was great as there were sharks and turtles everywhere! I really wanted to see a lionfish and Bonnie made sure to point them out! Two thumbs up!

1 Thank kerissmatictravels
Dingo
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“First Time Diver!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Was recommended Gili Divers and was not disappointed. I did my Open Water Certification with Bonny and it will be an experience I will never forget. Hard to beat diving with turtles, lion fish, sharks and many others. The water clarity was amazing. From start to finish the staff was professional and a lot of fun. The group sizes never exceed more than 4 people which makes everything much more comfortable. I had the privilege of being the only student in my group!

I did not stay at the hotel, but from what I saw rooms looked very nice. The location is also very central and right on the beach.

Thanks again to Gili Divers. If I'm ever back in the area I know where I'll be diving!

Nice One Bruva!

Stockholm
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Super best place.”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Good equipment. Friendly, professional and easy going staffing.
Swedish management goes without saying but its reliable.