“Try Dive”

Aquaddiction Dive
Ranked #8 of 40 Tours in Gili Trawangan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located a few minutes’ walk from the main dock, Aquaddiction is a small dive shop with a great atmosphere. With the emphasis on small dive groups and long dives Aquaddiction is a welcome change from the ‘factory’ approach to diving so often found in Asia. Our beachfront location is the perfect place to chill out between dives, study for courses and of course… to hold our famous beach BBQ’s! Our custom built dive boat can reach even the furthest dive sites in around 10 minutes and with maximum four people per group and no time limits on dives you can dodge the crowds and have what every diver wants… more time underwater! We also have an in-house camera rental service or, if you prefer, our resident professional photographer and videographer can accompany you underwater and record what we hope is your perfect dive! Whether trying diving for the first time, continuing your diving education or just fun diving, Aquaddiction’s international team of Instructors and resident Course Directors allow us to offer training from Open Water to Instructor with both PADI and SSI in a variety of languages. Our Instructors and guides can draw on a wealth of local diving knowledge to show you everything the Gili’s have to offer: from turtles, stingrays and sharks to pygmy seahorses and if you’re lucky…a passing manta ray! If you want to know more about the dive sites around the Gili’s you can visit our website and receive a 10% discount for booking online. We can also arrange accommodation for you in the newly opened Aquaddiction bungalows located just 20 metres from the beach so you can just turn up, relax and dive.
USA
“Try Dive”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had a fantastic experience with Aquaddiction Dive. I did a try dive, a dive with first timers, with them. A try dive consists of both pool training as well as a short dive along the coast of the island.

At first, I was most interested in using them because they promised a maximum of four students for their try dives. As I have heard various experiences about first dives, this was a major selling point for me. I ended up being extremely lucky, as no one else signed up for the dive, so I had a private instructor. My instructor, Waroeng (not sure about the spelling, as I am not great with local names...) for my try dive had nine years of diving experience and fantastic English. During the dive itself, he not only pointed out an incredible range of marine life to me, but also, helped me adjust my suit's settings. As such, I did not have any issues under the water, and I also felt like a "pro."

- Esther

Visited September 2013
guydivinyl, Manager at Aquaddiction Dive, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Welcome to the wonderful world of Diving! So glad you enjoyed your try-dive - yes, our instructors are all patient and experienced, so for a first-timer it ensures a lot of fun... today we had another very nervous beginner who now is definite about going diving again in the near future....
Thanks for the review!

• Finnish first
Stockholm, Sweden
“MOST AWESOME DIVESHOP IN INDONESIA!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I did my divemaster(7weeks) in this very friendly and secure dive shop! They are small and can therefore offer a very personal service and gives a feeling of secureness. They have the maximum of 4 divers per dive master/instructor which also make you feel very safe under the surface!

Additional to that, they are a super fun and happy crew that you want to hang out with!

Visited July 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

guydivinyl, Manager at Aquaddiction Dive, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We had a lovely time with you too! Its so nice when we have people stay here who enjoy themselves and the diving - to be honest it seems to happen a lot! ;-))
britnix
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Not for the experienced diver.”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Would I recommend this establishment for experienced divers? No...

Firstly, hubby and I are very experienced divers (he, PADI rescue and me, PADI advanced) dived all over the world and know a good dive company when we come across them.

We found the dive masters unfriendly, unprofessional and lazy, and the rented gear old and faulty. There was no clear instruction for any part of the dive, too many divers on the boat, no safety briefing, no water offered for a trip that lasted 2 hours in total and no assistance with getting dive gear on and off of the boat or where to store your dry gear.

Out dive guide was quite good at seeking out fish, but again no instruction on descent, he just jumped into water and then boat guys told us to hurry after him. Immediately after the dive had finished, all of the dive masters got onto the top of the boat to sunbathe and chat amongst themselves. We had no chance of interaction.

And very worryingly, after the boat guys had difficulty mooring the dive boat, the dive masters just jumped ship whilst engine and motor still running, without their guests, again no instruction, no advice or explanation of the mooring problem. The boat guys just shouted 'Move' rudely as we didn't feel it was safe to jump into the sea, we waited for about 45 mins for the boat to finally moor.

Poor service, poor diving experience.

To summarise, this establishment is full of beginners, not good, in my opinion for experienced divers who appreciate instruction, safety and friendly uncrowned dive boats that also fine diving. We paid slightly more for diving at another establishment and were treated so much better and had a much better experience.

2 Thank britnix
guydivinyl, Manager at Aquaddiction Dive, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
I can honestly say that we all here were extremely concerned about this review..... this will be extensively investigated, to make sure that no-one else goes away with bad feelings.
I will certainly be making sure that no-one else goes diving without being shown our fridge with cold water and other refreshments for the divers; and I will be investigating why they apparently had to carry their own equipment (because no-one ever does this!!) or exactly what was faulty with their gear, and why they actually went diving with faulty gear on - this is surprising and will be avoided at all costs!
A comment or two about the difficult landing. On this day, the waves had increased in size during the dive, and made it risky for the boat to actually land without risking the safety of the guests. The captain was uncomfortable with the decision to ask the guests to swim the 20 - 30m to the shore (even in wetsuits, with fins and masks on) and thus the delay while he drove around to try for a better landing place. Eventually I caught up with him and made the decision for him. This meant an easy swim and landing for the guests, and perfectly safe - not even really uncomfortable (if a little unusual), as they had no divegear on except mask and fins. The DMs obviously got into the water first, to help the guests, and later swam all the gear back to the shore where we took over.
It would have been too risky to turn off the engines while the boat was near the shore struggling with waves; also it was very important that the guests jump ship at the time they were asked to - not when they "felt it was safe" - so the captain could keep them in sight and keep them out of any risk. We know the waters, and we have the experience of thousands of dives and landings here - its our job!
This obviously made these 2 people nervous, even if the rest were Ok with it (they arrived laughing on the beach, happy to help out in a difficult situation) and the situation was unavoidable, perhaps the guests should have been given better information about the change in conditions before being asked to go overboard; again, efforts will be made to avoid this in the future.
About the equipment - our equipment is very well serviced, and in the very rare situation when something functions less than perfectly, we have spares on board. There is no reason for a diver to go into the water with faulty equipment on, this is obviously not acceptable, and the pre-dive checks normally help us to avoid this.
It is certainly a shame that somebody went home less than happy (a first for us!) - for that I can only apologise here and hope that these divers have only happy and easy dive-experiences in the future, and ensure that all of our guests go hope satisfied and happy - as we are used to!.
Odense, Denmark
“Divin at Gili with Aquaddiction Dive”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had one guide and she was very nice, helpfull and proffessional.
It was positive that vi had one guide for two people because we then felt safe. I was very scared to dive and she were very good to calm me down and give me confidence to do it.

Visited July 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

It was pleasure to help you - we like to keep the numbers of divers per guide down, and as as you were a beginner, it was imortant for us to try to give you a good experience! Thanks for the review, many people find us through Trip advisor, its really helpful for travellers to get honest opinions.
“Wish we were still there!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I could not agree more with all the other reviews! We spent 5 days on Gili T and did 6 fun dives with Aquaddiction, and loved every minute of it! The staff and dive masters were wonderful. I loved that we were able to request dive sites and they would work our requests into their schedule. They really made on time on Gili T unforgettable!

Visited September 2013
gili-advisor, Manager at Aquaddiction Dive, responded to this review, January 20, 2016
We just have so much fun making people happy and if that means changing sites it will happen. Thanks for the great review.

Mark Cornell