“Nice place to stay, Great place to dive!”

Trawangan Dive Resort
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed at Trawangan Dive Bungalows in June 2012, the room was great, clean, spacious and value for money also located in a good spot. After staying previously and completely our discover scuba course we decided to return and complete our open water course, we could not fault Trawangan Dive at all, it has a relaxed atmosphere whilst still being very well managed. The staff and instructors were all very friendly and extremely professional, we had a great time and will hopefully be visiting again next year. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for four nights in a bungalow. Although I don't dive, I really liked the place. The room for the money is alright, though nothing special and not comparable to anything on Bali for that money. The restaurant is nice, I liked having breakfast at the beach. The waiters sometimes can't see guests waiting to order and just stay at the bar chatting (although this wasn't a huge problem). The prayers from the nearby mosque only woke me up once (before I was kinda afraid of that), but I'm a rather easy sleeper. There is no TV programme, but it's possible to watch DVDs if you manage to find a working one out of the pretty big selection.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
TrawanganDive, General Manager at Trawangan Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Hi Claudius. Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review for us. I’m glad that overall, you had an enjoyable stay with us. We are working hard all of the time to improve the level of service in the restaurant, and hope that if you ever came to stay with us again in the future, you would notice a marked improvement.

Just to let you know why you may find more competitive prices in Bali. A lot of the time we have to import produce etc over from Bali, so it is generally far more expensive to run a business due to the more remote location. I completely agree that in Bali, you may find a similar hotel at a slightly lower rate, but I hope that the whole experience of Gili Trawangan made up for it. Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Trawangan Dive charge 190k rupiah for bunk bed room. No towels, no breakfast.

Agoda has cheaper options like Tamu Tamu, Gili Smile Homestay/ Bungalows which has breakfast and ensuite toliet. Even some have air con and freshwater.

Even options around the main strip would have been cheaper.

Worse places I've stayed in Indonesia.

Rooms are baking hot and window was broken. So had to take all valuable stuff with us.

Only good thing about this place was the wifi.

Please don't make the mistake we did.

• Stayed: November 2013
TrawanganDive, General Manager at Trawangan Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.

I would like to say that the price of the rooms in the dorms start at US$8 per person for a non diver. Discounts are then given to customers who stay longer etc. We then use the exchange rate of the day to convert into IDR. You paid approximately £4 each for a room on a beach front location.

We have guests who have stayed in the rooms for over 6 months and not had such negative things to say about the room.

They are hot because the weather is hot, especially during the months of October and November. Each room has 2 fans provided.

I am very sorry to hear that your window was broken, and had you mentioned this to a member of staff, they would have fixed this for you straight away.

These rooms are advertised as being simple, clean and cheap, which is exactly what they are. Of course there may be cheaper options off the main strip in the back of the village, but they are not located on the best beach on the island.

Once again, thank you for your honest account of your stay at Trawangan Dive, and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay on the Gilis.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Right from the beginning Trawangan Dive made my trip a breeze. From organising the airport transfer, my night in Kuta at the lovely Tara Rooms, to being picked up the next morning for the boat trip to Gili T. It all ran smoothly. The rooms at the dive shop were very nice and kept clean. All of the instructors and other people at the shop were helpful, friendly and relaxed. Any small issues were dealt with straight away and importantly, the dive equipment was well maintained. My Nitrox course, other dives (especially the Japanese wreck) and 11 day stay at Trawangan Dive were a pleasure.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This dive center can go beyond the expectations of both beginners and certified divers, I enrolled for the instructor course, IDC, there and was not disappointed on any point. Special Thank to my course Director Holly and to the lovely and efficient local staff I don't want to leave!

The only inconvenience with TDC is when you have to leave them :'(

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I booked a deluxe room for 800,000 rupiah and stayed during August, it was the high season
The thing is, when prices are high, expectations are also high. And they were not met.
First the room was very humid and the paint was going out of the wall. I stayed for two nights and the room was not cleaned after the first one.
Then we can clearly see that this hotel is mainly for divers.
Since I do not dive, I asked for advice on a good Snorkeling company. The answer was "go for any company they all do the same thing". I ended up on a overloaded boat and a poor experience. Again, for such a hotel price, I expect someone who has knowledge and experience about the island operators and can give proper recommendations.
The restaurant is ok, but the breakfast service was way too long. I asked for a coffee, was seeing it ready on the counter and no server seemed interested about it. I ended up picking it up myself.
As the title says... Disapointing....

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
TrawanganDive, General Manager at Trawangan Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Hi There
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a response. What a shame that you found your stay at Trawangan Dive to be ‘disappointing’ and that we did not meet your expectations.
I’m sorry that you felt that your room was humid. We service our rooms regularly to try to avoid unsightly peeling paint. This is nothing to do with the rooms specifically, but the very salty atmosphere on the island.
I’m incredibly sorry that our cleaning staff overlooked cleaning your room after your first night. To prevent this problem happening in the future, I am looking into getting ‘please make up my room’ signs for the bungalows.
Trawangan Dive bungalows do offer room to divers, but not exclusively. We have many non-divers staying with us, who have had a fantastic time. However, yes, we are a dive centre, (the clue is in the name), and many of our guests enjoy participating in the diving activities. We do not offer snorkeling tours out of respect for the local businesses and community, as we do not want to take the business and income away from them. Unfortunately I feel that, even if we did have a preferred snorkeling operator, they too would have ‘overloaded’ their boat as it was the busy month of August, which is out of our control. Had we recommended a snorkeling tour to you, and the boat had been ‘overloaded’, I feel that you would have penalized us further for recommending something that was not to your satisfaction. We cannot win.
My sincere apologies for having to wait for your coffee. We are constantly striving to improve the service in our restaurant. If you are ever back in the area, please feel free to come back for a coffee on us! Hopefully you will see an improvement in its timely delivery.
Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Me and my friend stayed here for 3 nights! We had a private room with a nice terrace.
They helped us out after we had to change hotels because our first choice (Gili T resort) was just terrible!

The staff is very friendly and the service is perfect. I did one fun dive here and saw the most amazing things thanks to my divemaster 'Addy'! My friend (who wasn't diving!) could join me on the boat for free. They really make sure you feel safe and have an amazing time. The staff helped out with our material so we could just relax and didn't have to drag all our stuff.
They make sure you can dive until your O-tank is empty (even if the other person's tank is empty before yours!) wich was amazing because we stayed under for 50 min.
I also did a course and a dive at Gili Divers! They are very nice but when the other person had an empty tank after 30min I had to come up too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends