“FANTASTIC FOOD”

Scallywags Seafood Bar & Grill
Ranked #18 of 117 Restaurants in Gili Trawangan
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Scallywags restaurant has become a favorite for locals and tourist alike. Food is shipped in daily, with organic greens from Bali. The beautiful island location and the freshest food on the island makes it a great place for breakfast, lunch, sunset, dinner and party nights. Scallywags is the original and the best place to enjoy our nightly BBQ, starting at 6pm. Guests can choose from a large range of sashimi grade fish and Australian imported steaks, to name a few. A complimentary salad bar is included for all BBQ items. Not hungry? Our trained bartenders can whip you up an amazing refreshing cocktail for you to enjoy while soaking up the views over the ocean.
“FANTASTIC FOOD”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This food stands out on the island. It is expensive but such high quality, the meat is of a high quality and the way in which it is cooked is to a higher standard. I had a lovely Beef Rendang here. The sandwiches were yummy too.

Visited August 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
“The best restaurant on Gili”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We dined here twice during our stay. The food is excellent, fresh and very very tasting.
Just try the sea food soup with saffron (delicious) or the mahi mahi burger...excellent!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank angryeli
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“JUST AWFUL!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS RESTAURANT”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

In Gili islands you can expect slow service, laid back staff and sometimes questionable hygiene standards. But this is by far the most disappointing, overrated and poor place we ate, and I cannot give enough reasons not to go here. Don't waste your time or your money and don't be fooled by its fashionable promises of organic food and stylish surrounds. Myself and my fiance are pretty relaxed and wouldn't normally make a fuss if our meal arrives a little late or there is a mix up, as things happen. But no one in this restaurant knows what they're doing, the manager/owner included, nor do they care. There are many beautiful places on Gili Trawangan, at much lower prices and with a much higher standard of food. This place pretends to be something its not, and is only for those who are happy to be fooled by style over substance.

We went for the Seafood BBQ as we were like many impressed by the fresh fish laid out ready to be cooked on the grill and how busy the place was. However, our first impressions were quickly diminished. The system of ordering from the BBQ was confusing and when I asked the man who appeared to be the owner/manager how it worked/where we should queue, he didn't help but just told us to get a table first. At the table, I had to wave at staff across the restaurant to order drinks. I waited about 10 minutes to order my tuna standing right in front of the BBQ whilst the manager/owner stood on front of me with a member of staff and argued about a mixed up order. Neither even made eye contact with me to let me know they'd be with me in a minute. When I finally ordered my tuna, I made it clear I wanted it rare. The guy said no problem, yes rare. After waiting about a half hour, I became worried about my tuna, as the table beside us came after us but their food arrived before us, and it would only take a few minutes to cook. I had to stand up and find someone to ask as no member of staff would come nearer than 9ft from our table. After asking a waiter, my tuna arrived and what was a perfectly lovely piece of tuna had been overcooked to within an inch of its life, and what lay on my plate was a dry, shrivelled piece of tuna. Scallywags charge $9 or so for their tuna, so I expected much more, given that we had a perfectly cooked rare tuna steak the night before for $4 in the market square.

I told the waiter that I had asked for it rare and he simply said "yes rare". I took a bite but it was horribly dry and almost as if it was out of a tin. My baked potatoe was stone cold to boot and clearly hadn't seen the grill in over an hour. I waited to get someone's attention to complain, but again had to stand up with my plate and approach a waiter to tell him. He said he would sort it out but came back a few minutes later to tell me they were all out of tuna, but I could have my old tuna back. He came back with my original plate and dried up tuna and cold potatoe. I pointed out that the baked potatoe was still cold and asked could it be heated. The waiter said of course, so I resigned myself to eating the potatoe when it came along with some salad, as at this point, the tuna was dry and cold and was very unenjoyable to eat. So I decided to wait. However, the potatoe never came back, despite the fact that the same waiter walked by our table many times. At this point, we could not stop but feel angry, and asked to speak to a manager. We felt at least we could feel vindicated by alerting him to the failings in his apparently wonderful seafood BBQ. However, like the potatoe, he never came. We waited around 15 minutes and no one ever came. We could not handle it anymore - not one person in the restaurant obviously cared and to save what was left of the evening we asked for the bill and left as soon as we could.

• Visited August 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Yummy!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We had such a big monster rib for two people for only IDR 130,000 and free salad plus side dishes. It tasted so good. Best food in Gili Trawangan

Visited August 2012
Gold Coast
“What has happened to the restaurant??”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have been to scallywags 3 times the first was excellent the second OK the last... in July 2012 .. only for dinner... OMG what a disappointment I could not even eat my meal.. the new manager did not even notice us when we arrived (or throughout our stay for dinner) the waiter just pointed us where to sit .. no greeting nothing please sort it out it was my favourite restaurant!!

1 Thank Steph63GoldCoast