“Great Stay - the Italian food is fantastic!”
Review of Blu d'aMare

Blu d'aMare
Ranked #26 of 171 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were recommended to stay here by the owners of Lumbung Damuh in Candidasa. What a great place this was. The owners were wonderful! Our party of 5 rented two of the little cabins. Each cabin was so quaint with nice bedding and mosquito netting. The bathrooms were clean, the air conditioning worked fine and the owners who so nice and kind. We had planned to stay 3 days and ended up staying for 5 days! During our time, one of my friends was bitten by a centipede and the owner Alessandra went into quick action killing the centipede and taking the anti-venom out of it and rubbing it on the bite. (I didn't know they had anti-venom). She also made me some ginger tea (on the house) when I wasn't feeling well one day. The food was to die for. Throughout our trip we had eaten mostly Balinese food with Rice and their authentic Italian food was outstanding. Everything was fresh with lots of tomato and garlic. Breakfast was included - homemade cakes and breads, fresh fruit, coffee, eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit juices. Tons of food! The little place is situated in a perfect place - far enough from the boats - across from several restaurants and beach bars. Directly across the road is the beach and the owners have a section saved with loungers and tables. Right next to their spot is a wonderful beach restaurant/bar with great food and great service. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for three nights, it was a very enjoyable stay. The rooms are basic but comfortable, we stayed in bungalow #2 which has one double bed and one small bed, which was perfect for our family. The breakfast is plentiful and delicious. The location is good--great snorkeling right off the beach. The corals aren't in great shape unfortunately, but there are many many fish, and both my husband and I saw turtles! It was also good to be a bit away from the busiest part of Gili Trawangan but not too far from the harbour etc. The food there is fantastic, I will write another review for the restaurant. Suffice it to say we ate there most of the time and we should have eaten there every meal! Very kids-friendly too, probably because the owners' kids are pretty young as well.

The only gripe I have is the quality of the staff. Sandra and Moreno were great hosts, but the local staff were not very well-trained, nor were they very friendly. Unlike other expat-run hotels we've stayed at, the local staff don't really manage important stuff, e.g., I couldn't pay for the accommodation when neither owners were present. In a way it's good because expat-owned but local-run hotels tend to go downhill in terms of quality the moment the owner is gone. But not so convenient if both owners are busy. Also, only about two staff (the restaurant staff) greeted us when they saw us, it was hard to get a "good morning" out of the others, especially the women in the kitchen/looking after the owner's kids and the men who were cleaning the place.

But all in all it was a very pleasant stay, we really enjoyed our time and would love to go back. I would recommend this place especially to those travelling with small kids but also recommended for couples, too.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights in February 2013 and really enjoyed it. The rooms were rustic and comfortable, the breakfast delicious and, best of all, the staff were uniformly wonderful. The hotel is located just far enough from the busier area of the island to be peaceful, but is close enough for an easy walk if you want to access the busier area. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the island.

I should also mention that the snorkeling just off the beach in front of the hotel was great.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank igs
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at Blu d'Amare from Alessandra and Moreno for a week and it was perfect. Really good accomodation, lovely food (heaven to eat fresh pasta after weeks of rice) and the freshly caught fish from Moreno was amazing. Perfect view, not the cheapest on the Island but very good price for the quality they offer. We even recommended the place to people we met along out trip on Bali and they came back with the same enthousiastic story. Alessandra is a really good host! And our little daughter J walked around freely and was always welcome in the kitchen for some milk :-)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank BBQ78
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I've been there for 4/5 days with my girlfriend. A friend told me to go there. Everything was good! It was a plesure to stay. Nice room, nice people, nice food. All clean. Price? You can find cheaper places on the island... But for me was a good value. If i have to come back... Blu d'amare is my first choise. 100%

Danny

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank firefox54
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had a very nice stay at this hotel. It rained most of our time there (January 2013), but that was not their fault. The room was very rustic, but nice. The air conditioner worked great. Very clean. They also provided us with a perfect baby bed for our daughter at an acceptable additional charge. The breakfast is AMAZING. Tons of Food! Fruit, Cake, Juice, Coffee, Eggs or Pancakes, Homemade Bread. Absolutely DELICIOUS! We had dinner there and lunch a couple of times, and it was very fresh and delicious. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The location is also wonderful...just a couple steps from the beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank scarolina09
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I am writing to give the thumbs up to Antonio and his fiance Jannie(?) who are managing Blu d'a Mare on Gili Trawangan. It is beautifully appointed - hence the name - with snorkelling right on the doorstep. The rooms were spectacular and most tastefully and sensitively designed with authentic Indonesian furnishings.
The dinner was brilliant - I had the pasta special and polished off every morsel it was so delicious. Most importantly of all the friendly nature of all the staff is what stood out to make our stay amazing. We had eaten regularly on a previous trip at Blu d'a Mare and I was delighted to have the added benefit of staying on this visit - until my next trip - many many thanks......

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends