“Great value for a great place”
Review of Blu d'aMare

and 1 more site!
Blu d'aMare
Ranked #31 of 179 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This Italian owned small beach front resort delighted our stay on this beatifull island. The owners prepare their own bread for the included breakfast. After trying several places we found it as the cleanest place. Nice beach in the front with private facilities. Reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Tafuriaste

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Blu d'aMare for three nights just after Christmas 2011. Having read an earlier negative review of this establishment, I'd like to reassure any future guests that they can safely ignore the complaints contained in that diatribe as I had a perfectly lovely time there recently.

First of all, the lodgings. My cabin was a compact studio-sized cabin with an adjacent bathroom. It is not a luxurious unit, and you would not want to do much in the space aside from sleep and bathe, but it's not claiming to be anything more. It's a perfectly clean, secure, ensuite room with aircon and a balcony for relaxing on.

My cabin was near the main thoroughfare and thereby most prone to noise from passing traffic (human and donkey, as there is no motorized transport on the island!). But after 10pm that end of the beachfront is thankfully very quiet and residential (the bars and clubs are a 10 minute stroll down the other end of the beach). I'm not a heavy sleeper, but I don't recall being disturbed once during my stay. After leaving the Gilis, I moved on to a five star hotel in KL, but I still missed Blu d'aMare. No doubt the other rooms are better appointed, as my cabin is designed for just one person, but the real reasons to book this place are the wonderful owners, their pleasant staff and the exceptional cuisine on offer.

I had planned on dining at Blu d'aMare just the first night and then trying out some other options, but the food was so excellent that I found myself returning all three nights. I've been living in Asia now for over six years but I can say in all honestly that the meals I enjoyed there were among the best Western food I have experienced since moving east. My only regret is that we don't have an Italian trattoria half as fine as this one in Seoul! By the way, I would suggest booking your table in the morning before going out, as each night I watched people being turned away due to lack of tables.

The owners, Alesandra and Moreno are a young couple with a new baby. The place has a relaxed family-run feel to it as Moreno looks after the front of house while Alesandra prepares the meals with their staff in the kitchen. Both went out of their way to take care of me during meal times and it was nice to just leave my menu choices up to them and be confident that something delicious would arrive on my table. Fresh seafood is a given on an island, but often the preparation of the catch can leave a lot to be desired; however, the seafood carpaccio I had was one of several fantastic dishes I enjoyed. Final tip: do leave room for their chocolate salami for desert as well.

Equally, the breakfasts were very generous and filling. I had to turn away offers of pancakes, as I was already too full to get on a boat to go island hopping later in the morning. As to the issues with ants or flies, well, just do what I did and put a napkin over the jam while you are eating. Problem solved!

I grew up in Ireland and am well used to the tradition of very friendly and attentive B&B owners. We take pride in the warmth of the welcome afforded to visitors who become part of the family for a few days. The welcome from the owners of Blu d’aMare was equal to any I have experienced in terms of their easygoing but highly considerate care of their guests. They really added to the calm and pleasant island "vibe."

This review has been very glowing, so I should stress that I have no connection to the owners and no particular motivation for writing this review other than wishing to set the record straight on this wonderful location. My advice is to make Blu d'aMare your first choice if you are visiting Gili Trawangan - you will not regret it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank peadarseoul
Reviewed September 27, 2011

The bungalows - old teck houses from Java - are lovely, they do not offer all the comfort of modern life (noise and light from outdoor, insects in the bathroom, more or less cold water - however, they are very clean). We did not care (and also think that this was acceptable in view of the reasonnable price of the rooms), but do not go to this hotel (and to Gili Trawangan more generally) if you are picky.

The hotel has a very nice private beach with lounge chairs - great for snorkelling and reading books.

The location is perfect, 5min walk to the restaurants and bars, but not close enough to have the noise.

Food at the restaurant is superb and we wish Italian restaurants in our country (Swtzerland) would be of the same quality...

Final word is for the Italian owners who were very friendly and sociable.
Thank you for the stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Floran P
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I spent months planning, saving and organising a dream holiday on Gilitrawangan with friends and family, researching in detail good accommodation and I was prepared to pay a little extra for this. That's when I discovered Blu d'Amare. Reading all the reviews it sounded perfect and as it was more expensive than other places I looked at, I naively assumed it would be very good. But I was very wrong!!

The rooms were extremely rustic and at first this was fine, however the bathroom was outdoor and close to a building site where the site workers could easily see in - not the most pleasant experience. The rooms were next to a busy road that was incredibly noisy throughout the night with donkeys and carts passing - I did not have one good nights sleep the whole week I was there. The rock hard beds didn't help this either! Unfortunately this is just the tip of the iceberg!

The restaurant both inside and out was unhygienic and was riddled with ants, insects and stray cats. The stray cats were constantly looking for food and at one stage one jumped onto my lap when I was trying to eat breakfast - after I jumped up in shock the management simply looked at me and laughed. There was never any attempt to get rid of the cats from their food areas or to try and kill the ants crawling all over the food tables. I realise Gili is a tropical island, however I never experienced this in any other establishment on the island.

The breakfast was nothing short of abominable . The first morning we lifted the lid of the jams plate only to find ants crawling all around it - not a good start and unfortunately it didn't get any better. From undercooked pancakes to salt ridden eggs and bread that tasted stale and off! All of which led to a very unpleasant stomach for the duration.

Yet it doesn't end there! The management informed me that they provided a service of organising boat transfers to and from Lombok. This suited my party as were arriving late at night. However, it ended in complete disaster on the return journey. The management from Blu d'Amare walked us to the beach and made us drag our luggage for 100 yards in hot sand, stood and watched as we struggled to load our luggage onto a boat that was untied on a choppy sea. Just as we had boarded the boat, we were hit by four huge waves in a row soaking us from head to toe and our luggage with it. The management who had left us just a minute earlier continued to walk away as were being hit by wave after wave. It took an hour for the skipper to scoop the water out of the boat with a cup! When we eventually made it to the airport, still soaking, I checked my luggage in and it was 10kg heavier than it was on the way over - basically everything in my suitcase was soaking!!

This was one of the most frightening experiences of my life and when we made contact with the management after we returned, they took no responsibility for what had happened. They replied in the most condescending tone and they insinuated that they had nothing to do with the transfer - even though they offered it to us, organised it and charged us a considerable amount!

Gilitrawangan is an amazing place however my perception of it is greatly tinged after my experience with Blu d'Amare. Please go to Gili but DO NOT STAY IN BLU D'MARE!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank Jam358
bludamare, Manager at Blu d'aMare, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Dear guest,
as your review is a copy and paste of a previous one submitted using a different account but more poetic this time, I won't waste a minute.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Great hosts here at Blu d'Amare and a beach front location other properties would rival. Booking was easy and the hosts were always around to answer questions and have a chat - all very kind and friendly.

The traditional style house we were in was clean and comfortable and very spacious. There was some noise from the side road, but nothing to keep you awake at night or bother an afternoon nap : )

The food was amazing and so fresh and a special cocktail was made for us on our last night. Stay here for a relaxed, easy going, slow paced few days on Gili. Stayed in April 2011 and going back very soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We were very excited about our stay in Gili Trawangan but unfortunately the accommodation we booked was a complete let down. The rooms were rustic to say the least, although we seemed to get the best room of a bad bunch. Air conditioning was temperemental and it's use was limited by management. When we could get it to work - it sounded like a jet engine and definitely hindered our sleep! Water was cold AT ALL TIMES even though we were promised by management that it would be heated by the sun. Strangely the 30 degree sun seemed to have no impact on the water whatsoever! Perhaps a little fib by the manager Christian who seemed to have a story to cover any complaint/question! The (largely outdoor) bathroom also had the 'added bonus' of being located next to a building site where local workmen could easily see into the toilet and showering area!!!
Although there are no cars on the island, this accommodation is situated next to a through road used at all times of day and night by horse and carts with bells and whistles. It sounded like Santa and his reindeer were passing through every few minutes. Couple this with the jet engine trying to keep our room cool and you can imagine the noise problem we encountered at night!
But it's OK (we thought) - according to TripAdvisor the breakfast is superb and this will make up for the negatives. WE WERE WRONG. Breakfast was served in the indoor area of the 'restaurant'. This area was also home to a range or starving cats, endless ant nests and was the smoking area for the chain smoking management. The food was not a saving grace - it was largely inedible. Undercooked pancakes, tasteless bread, ant infested jams and honey, scrambled eggs that wreaked havoc with our digestive systems. It would be fair to say that the breakfast was the worst thing about the accommodation - and that is no mean feat!!
I would love to be able to reiterate the very positive views people seem to have on Christian and Manuela, the management. However, we did not witness the pleasant,cant do enough for you demeanor that other people seem to have been treated to. They did, however, organise transfers to and from Lombok (at quite a price). Surely this couldn't go wrong. OH BUT IT COULD! Christian organised for the speed boat to pick us up on the beach (not the jetty designed for such pickups). As we made our way onto the boat (note that one of the members of our group was 5 months pregnant) - the boat was inundated with waves causing it to fill with water and almost smash on it's side onto the beach. Thankfully - we were all able to evacuate the troubled boat safely - but our luggage was not so lucky. Damage to laptops, cameras and clothes made the crazy pick up decision a very costly one.
Unfortunately this was typical of the service we recieved during our stay at Blu D'amare.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank nols1981
bludamare, Manager at Blu d'aMare, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Dear guest,
we do welcome all criticism as we believe them helpfull in order to improve our standard and service ,as we care about our customers and our job, but we are very surprised since you didn't give us any feedback during your stay.
When you booked the rooms, we sent you a detailed list of our facilities and the location of Blu D'Amare should have been already known, since it was not your first time in Gili and also in our restaurant.
However, kindly allow us to rectify a few issues:
1) Air conditioning is available h24 and if any power cut occurs, we start our generator to guarantee guests' comfort; the remote control has a "smart" function to reduce - if any - the noise. We show if on request how to use the ON-OFF button.
2) The water IS heated by the sun. The toilets are completely covered with the roof and between the toilet walls and the roof there is a gap of 40 cm, frankly speaking not enough to invade guests' privacy; "outdoor bathrooms", quite common in Trawangan are a bit different and actually the building site was located in another property, where they were building a diving center, already finished.
3) Cats are frequent on the island and not fed as in Europe, that's why in Gili Trawangan there is already a cat birth- control program. Small insects can be also frequent in the Gilis (especially in some periods of the year) and though we try to do our best to keep them away, we own a open air restaurant...
4) Our homemade daily fresh bread and cakes are something normally appreciated and distinctive, so we are sorry if you didn't like them.
5) with reference to the boat issue, we have just called a taxi and a taxi boat for you, we are not transport providers or a travel agency, as well as we are not the ones responsible to evaluate the weather and sea conditions and so the opportunity to have the pick up to the jetty rather than the beach (as it usually happens) .
Last but not least,I find it hard to accept to be called a storyteller.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Had a great time ! The spot in front of blue d'Amare is probaly the best snorkelspot of the Island, you wil almost always see turtles here! We did, all the time we went in to snorkel, just there....always about three turtles! Christian, Manuela and Estoban were very kind friendly and sociable. Their breakfast was great.
Located more on the quieter side of the island which is good, but all the bussy parts in easy walking distance. Hope we see you in Pemuteran!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family