“Absent staff, useless generator, what breakfast?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coconut Dream Bungalows

Coconut Dream Bungalows
Seattle, Washington
“Absent staff, useless generator, what breakfast?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

I stayed at Coconut Dream Bungalows last year and was not very happy with my stay. When I got up in the morning I was supposed to get breakfast but I couldn't find any of the staff to help me. The location of the Bungalows is kind of hidden and I guess a bit quieter than other places that are close to bars. The downside is that you have to walk a while to get to the beach and are not really close to anything. Each night I stayed there we had power outages. The staff made me turn off my air conditioning because the generator wasn't strong enough to run the air conditioning just the fan. I paid for air conditioning and the island is hot and I think that they should have a generator good enough to provide power for the entire hotel not just fans. The bathrooms at the Bungalows are old and the showers are cold and have no pressure and are not very good. The sheets were old and not very nice on the bed and there was no place to store anything. At night it was hard to find the Bungalows and the roads to get there are not well lit. I didn't feel that safe wandering around the town after dark looking for my room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Frequent_Flyers_USA
LeoCoconutDream, Owner at Coconut Dream Bungalows, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Thank you very much for your honest feedback. Since you visited us more than a year ago, a lot has changed at Coconut Dream Bungalows. We have a new manager, we renovated four bathrooms and built three brand new bungalows. The entire island faces power shortages on a regular basis, this is why we need to use generators. We recently bought a new one, but we hope that the local power plant will be filling the needs of the island shortly. We are also exploring solar energy as an option. In the last few months, a road was built from the beach to our property and is carefully maintained. You are less than 3 minutes away from the beach and can return to your accomodation safely at night! We hope that on your next visit to Gili you will drop by to see the improvements! All the best in your travels.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

We choose Coconut Dream Bungalows based on a friend's strong recommendation and we're so happy we did! Our bungalow was located within a two minute walk from the main strip, but just far enough so as not to hear the loud music. The service was very warm, friendly and attentive. They even helped us plan our side trips. Mornings started off with tasty banana crepes and evenings ended at one of the local pubs, amongst friends. When I return to Gili, I will always book with Coconut Dream Bungalows.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2010

I spent 4 nights at the Coconut Dream and I had a great stay. Safe, clean. Just one block away from the main street it is well located and quiet. The staff is helpful and welcoming... and they are just unbeatable at ping-pong! I strongly recommend Coconut Dream.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Sauza99
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

The first time I stayed at Coconut Dream Bungalows was in July 2008 and I have been back many times since then (living in Jakarta makes it easier!) The friendliness of the staff made me feel at home right away. The four bungalows (total of 5 rooms) are located in a nice and spacious garden with tons of flowers and, of course coconut trees, that the staff will willingly climb to serve you fresh coconut as an afternoon snack. Rooms are of different sizes and can accommodate from 1 to 6 people (If you are coming with a group, try to book the "secret room" at the front of the property as it is the largest one). Most of them have AC and/or a fan, all have covered balconies where you can have breakfast (delicious banana pancakes!) and spend time with friends. A few of them also have outdoor bathrooms and hammock. No fresh water shower at this time, but I got used to salt water!

The bungalows are located close from the beach, but far enough to the nightlife so you will not to be bothered by the music and parties at night. You might however hear the call for prayer from the local mosque in the morning, it gives a bit of local flavour to the experience!

While Gili is a real paradise island (nice beach, good restaurants, etc.), after a few days you might want to see a bit more of "real life". The owner of Coconut Dreams Bungalows can bring you in his village in Lombok at a very modest cost, where you can go visit small local businesses (peanut harvesting, drying fishes, making krupuk... we even visited the school!). I went there many times, including with my parents once and my father-in-law even went fishing with some local fisherman. Quite a unique experience!

2 Thank JalanJalanSaja