Coconut Dream Bungalows
The Trawangan Resort(Gili Trawangan)
$84
$81
Marygio Resort(Gili Trawangan)
$74
$69
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Vila Ombak(Gili Trawangan)
$267
$78
  • Pool
Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort(Gili Trawangan)
$112
$95
$95
$87
$70
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Ombak Sunset(Gili Trawangan)
$72
$66
  • Breakfast included
Les Villas Ottalia(Gili Trawangan)(Great Value!)
$81
$74
  • Breakfast included
Sunset Palms Resort(Gili Trawangan)
$112
$105
  • Breakfast included
Pesona Beach Resort & Spa(Gili Trawangan)(Great Value!)
$51
$48
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstwo double bedsfamily roomsimple bungalowsoutdoor bedgili tair conbreakfast deliveredaircon worksgreat place to staystayed here for three nightsbathroom doorbanana pancakesswimming poolmain streethired bikesenjoyed our staynice breakfast
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Fact or Fiction: if you do not pre-book accomodation on Gili Trawangan, you will find it very difficult to get somewhere decent when you arrive?

So I am not qualified to answer that question definitively, having only once visited Gili T for three nights but it is true that I visited mid-July and saw a lot of vacancies and a lot of people wandering around and negeotiating for prices better than the published rate. Pre-booking, as I did out of worry at not having somewhere to stay, does give peace of mind but in this case with Coconut Dream also lead to an interesting/awkward situation on arrival.

I arrived early morning on the fast boat from Padang Bai. Coconut is situated one street back from the busy eastern strech of the ring road that traverses the coast of the Island. To my mind, as good a base location as anywhere on the island.

The fun and games started when I arrived at reception and told them I had reserved a room online. I had done so at a quoted. cost of R500k and had been offered the downstairs room in the main large building. However, some kind of break down in communication occured where receiption didn't understand that I had a reservation and I didn't understand that they didnt understand that I had a reservation. The outcome of this is being told that they have one room they can offer me for R400k if I wanted to have a look. I did, clearly at R100k cheaper per night, and the duly took me to the one of the brand new modern lumbung villas at the back of the complex. It was perfect, cheaper than what I was expecting, and looked nicer than the place originally quoted. So I decided I would take it. However, the earlier miscommunication about having a reservation was resolved when I wrote my name down at registration and they realised what they had done, asked if I had a reservation, and I confirmed I had emailed. They took no action. 10 minutes later however and after I had gone back to the villa, the receiptionist came to tell me, using a fairly nonsensical argument, that I had to leave the room as someone else had booked it and could go to the room I had reserved online UNLESS I paid R500k to stay in this one. As I say, complete illogical gibberish trying to compensate for the earlier error without having the courage to address directly what had happened. Eventually, we negeotiated that I could stay in the villa for R450k. All in all, an interesting experience and the lesson I took away is that if you book online they will give you one of the cheaper rooms at a more expensive rate.

However, enough on that. The bungalow (#1) was excellent. Super modern, well decorated, the most comfortable bed I slept on in Indonesia, quality woods, lovely outdoor bathroom - really, really impressed. The staff are all friendly, quite a cool vibe about the place particularly when staff are strumming their guitars in the evening. There are a few oddities, chiefly the morning I was woken up by someone sweeping my veranda area at 0730. Admittedly, there was a lot of sand on it but probably not necesary to start that early. Also, if you want breakfast you need to go to receiption and request it each morning otherwise you get nothing. Also I was asked mid-stay to pay for all of my stay as oppose to the customary at checkout routine (maybe they could tell from my Noam Chomsky book on the sunbed that I was a troublemaker).

To address the point of another recent poster, my room was also not cleaned for 3 days. I certainly didn't request privacy and I was out of the room from ~10-17 each day. This wasn't a problem during a 3 day visit and was pretty common across most Bali/Lombok accomodation.

In summary, I would definitely stay here again if visited Gili T but would look to negotiate the price.

Room Tip: Bungalow 1 + Think about whether you are willing to gamble on a reservation vs cheaper price
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank MattyBK
Reviewed July 30, 2011

One has to wonder whether Coconut Dream are writing their own positive reviews. While the staff were very pleasant, they were very eager for us to pay over our money before we saw the room, saying it wasn't quite cleaned yet when it actually was. I stupidly did. This hotel constitutes probably the worst value of anywhere I've stayed in Asia, and this is my 6th trip to Bail. They charged us 500,000 rp per night; via email we were told that this was the average price for a good room and that the island was full. This was not the case. We found better rooms for 300,000rp, just not on the internet. There were still many vacancies on the island even though it was very busy. We were given no towels and the room was not cleaned during our 3 day stay- unlike our other hotels we had stayed at in Bali for half the price.

Originally we were shown a dark cave of a room up a creaky dark stairwell, with a downstairs toilet, no furniture but a bed, a very high thatched ceiling and small windows. Fortunately there was a smaller downstairs room we were able to change to. To be fair there were newer bungalows out the back that may have been quite nice. But our room was very overpriced for what it was. When we first booked we were told we would get a bungalow for the price quoted, but then were given a room in the "big house" instead- without changing the price. We would definitely never stay here again.

One other comment: If you want to sleep well keep back from the waterfront party noise (which Coconut Dream is) and further north up the island as the Muslim chanting over loudspeakers at 4am is very loud from this location.

Room Tip: Check the room and other places around before you pay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mkj30
LeoCoconutDream, Owner at Coconut Dream Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear guest,

We are sorry your experience at Coconut Dream did not meet your expectations. Market is quite different on Bali and Gili and the small island do gets quite busy during the high season, where our rooms are booked quite in advance. But while most resorts on Gili that provide internet booking will ask for advance payment through bank deposit or PayPal, this is not our practice as we trust our guests to pay on-site and simply ask them to give us advance notice if they do have to cancel their booking.

We discussed some of the problems you experienced with the staff to avoid these happen again. Be assured that rooms are cleaned daily, unless guests are in the bedroom or require privacy. As you said yourself our staff is very cordial and will accommodate your requests for extra towels, clean-up, etc. if you express them.

The room you stayed in is one of the more traditional one, Lumbung style in dark wood, but maybe our new and more modern bungalows would have been more suited to your taste. Unfortunately, during Ramadan the mosque is louder than usual, we are also trying to address this issue with the authorities but we do not have much control over this, same for all the properties on the island. It is part of experiencing the culture!

We wish you safe travels and "selamat jalan"!

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I was so surprised when i found these bungalows. Very comfy, clean and pretty much everything you would want in such a place. The breakfast is nothing special, as is true for most of these islands. Location is a bit away from the busy streets, so it is very quiet.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JanNovSI
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Actually we booked Aaliku Bungalows (their neighbor) to spent our Holiday, but they got mistakes then we moved to this place. We happy to recommended this place to other.
The rooms are spacious, clean, with open air bathrooms, private balcony and AC (no TV, but who care?) :)
The staff was friendly and the breakfast was delicious (try the banana pancake). The setting of the hotel is beautifully designed, with lovely gardens.
Coconut is not a beach front, but it just 5 minutes walk to the beach and other places. I think it better for us as we don't really like a night life and it quite enough (don't be worry, its safe to walk at the night) :).
We wish to extend our stay, but regret that we already booked somewhere else. We will definitely back to Coconut next year with friends and family.. See you there..

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oming
Reviewed June 10, 2010

The new room is quiet, big and clean. And beautifully a well kept garden, an airy place.
I was comfortable. I'm afraid the hot water didn't work....I think it's electric power failure.
But staff were very friendly! Their performance is so nice!!! I'd like to stay again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo