“Good service - ok equipment and small groups of max 4 pr. divemaster”

Blue Marlin Dive Gili Trawangan
Ranked #6 of 44 Tours in Gili Trawangan
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Marlin Dive is the original and longest established PADI dive resort on the beautiful Gili islands. Set up in 1992 by renowned technical diver and instructor Simon Liddiard, Blue Marlin has grown to be a successful PADI 5-Star Instructor Development Resort and TDI technical diving facility. We offer daily recreational and technical dive trips for certified divers, a complete range of PADI recreational courses from beginner to instructor level and a luxury diving liveaboard based in Komodo national park. An award-winning TDI and IART technical facility, we specialize in Enriched Air Nitrox, Tri-mix, Buddy Inspiration and Evolution, and JJ Closed-Circuit Rebreather training. We have a full service dive resort with a restaurant, bar & on-site accommodation. Let our clear warm waters, swaying palm trees and no-motorized traffic ensure your holiday is a memorable one.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The dive shops of Gili Trawangan have a pricing cartel - so it doesn't really matter who you go diving with price-wise. We chose Blue Marlin as we had a very nice danish girl (i'm danish) give us a great introduction. The equal pricing ensures enough of a profit for the shops to keep equipment maintained and to ensure there is a profit to be had for the shops.

The equipment was ok - and were were happy to only have a small group (we were only 3 - but max is 4). The divemaster was great - taking her time doing introductions etc.

The dive was not good - we went to Shark Point, but saw no sharks (probably due to another boat already being there). We started deep at around 30 meters - with great visibility - ending shallower - where the coral had suffered from dynamite fishing. We did see one turtle, an octopus and a few moray eels.
Its hard to judge a dive shop based on one dive - so we have mostly taken into account the service.

First dive on the island you pay a premium of 50k rupiah for the Gili eco trust - you can pay that in one shop and switch to diving in another shop if you like - you dont have to pay it twice.

BlueMarlinDive, Manager at Blue Marlin Dive Gili Trawangan, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Hello There,
Thank you for making a positive review of our dive centre. Its a pleasure to hear that you had a nice friendly welcome, that you found the equipment to be in good condition and that you enjoyed the small group experience. We are sorry to hear that you did not particularly enjoy the dive, despite seeing a turtle, an octopus and several moray eels as well as there being great visibilty. For many, this sounds like an awesome dive. Unfortunately, we cannot gaurantee sharks, there are several factors at play such as weather, tides, currents and indeed it is this unpredictablity that gives diving its thrill for many people.

With regard to the pricing, rather than describing it as a "cartel", which has negative connotations, the dive centre's of Gili Trawangan come together monthly to discuss common issues such as safety and have agreed to help each other out in the event of any emergencies. Part of this is a price-agreement and the centre's work on friendly competition based on other indicators rather than price under-cutting.

We hope that you will return to us to dive in the future and perhaps next time we will find you some sharks;-)
Kind Regards
Blue Marlin Dive Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have been traveling for five months and when people ask me what has been the best experience, it will hands down be the time I spent on Gili T w/ Blue Marlin Dive.

My friend and I casually wandered into the shop after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and thought we might want to give diving a go. We were greeted by Signe with the biggest smile and warmest welcome that made us instantly want to sign up. Signe took us through our Open Water Course - and I can't give her enough compliments for how wonderful she is. Besides being incredibly supportive, knowledgeable and flexible, she is so much fun to be around. We loved everything so much, we extended our stay on Gili multiple times to continue diving with the team. We continued and got our Advanced Open Water and teamed up with both Signe and Mike - quite the dynamic duo. We couldn't possibly have had more fun and have now fallen absolutely in love with diving - all to the credit of Signe, Mike & Blue Marlin.

Blue Marlin Dive is well run, very clean, has great equipment and the best staff anyone could ask for.

Signe and Mike are absolutely amazing and I'm so grateful for the time I got to spend with them.
The entire team deserves praise as they are all incredibly friendly, knowledgeable, professional & fun. I felt like family the moment I walked in the door and really found it difficult to leave.

If you have any time at all to spare, spend it diving w/ Blue Marlin! You won't regret it!

1  Thank Elizabeth T

Hello There,
Wow, thank you for such an amazing review. Its fantastic to hear that you found your experiences diving with us to be "incredible" and that it was the highlight of your five months travelling trip. It sounds like the personalities and professionalism of both Signe and Mike were a big part of your enjoyment and that is great to hear from a management perspective. We are happy that you also found the equipment to be well maintained and the shop clean and well run. We hope you will recommend us to other people you meet along your travels, and that we will see you again in the future to continue your diving adventures.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had always known I would love diving but I had no idea how much I would love it. It absolutely made my whole trip and Blue Marlin was a big part of it. I was only planning on getting my Open Water but with very little persuasion I decided to go ahead and get my Advanced. If I didn't have to come home I probably would have stayed to do my DM. All of the instructors were great (Mine were Ari, Steve, and Mike), I felt safe the whole time and most importantly they made it fun. I highly suggest anyone visiting Gili Trawangan to go to Blue Marlin, even if only for a fun dive. Just be aware, after one dive you'll be hooked!

BlueMarlinDive, Guest Relations Manager at Blue Marlin Dive Gili Trawangan, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Hi Teryn,
Thank you for your excellent review. I'm glad to hear we made your whole trip. It's great you decided to stay and do your Advanced Open Water Course. Here at Blue Marlin we will always make sure we run safe practices as well as making sure everybody has fun on their courses. We do also appreciate your mention of our wonderful Instructors Ari, Steve and Mike which are all a great addition to our team here. We will be more than happy to have you back to do your Divemaster program here with us.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind Regards.

Blue Marlin Dive Team.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I arrived on Gili Trawangan with the intention of getting our PADI open water diver certification and staying 3 days. We ended up extending our trip to 6 days so I could continue with my advanced open water certification because we liked our instructor at Blue Marlin so much. We checked out Blue Marlin based on a recommendation from a fellow traveler and we found them to be very professional and organized when we stopped by the office. Donna took the time to sit down with us and explain all of our options. We signed up for the 3 day open water certification and were lucky enough to get Signe as our instructor. If you are hesitant to try diving for the first time, or are already certified and want a friendly, enthusiastic guide, I highly recommend Signe. She is extremely professional, positive and does a great job of explaining complex directions. She is very patient and never rushes a training. She seems to always find interesting aquatic life on the dives and has hand signals for each one (turtles, clown fish, sea snakes, rays, and many others) I went from zero experience to being very comfortable on my final dives, including a night dive! I always felt safe and well prepared and I got a solid foundation of skills to build upon. Blue Marlin Gili T is a top notch company, check them out!

BlueMarlinDive, Manager at Blue Marlin Dive Gili Trawangan, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Hello There,
Thank you for reviewing our dive centre and for your positive response. We are delighted that you found our office to be professional and organised, and that we lived up to the recommendation you received. It's fantastic to hear that you extended your stay due to the friendly and enthusiastic nature of Signe, and you found her to be a patient and positive teacher. We agree she is a great asset to the dive shop, and we are lucky to have her. We hope that you will recommend us to others on your travels as someone had recommended you, and perhaps some day you will return to us for more diving experiences.
Kind Regards

Reviewed May 19, 2013

While being on a 7 nights vacation on Gili islands (Gili Air) and after doing one nice but quite boring "fun dive" with a very good local diveshop "Gili Air Divers" - I've decided that it was a perfect time to start what I've been dreaming of for quite a while i.e. an oopportunity to push myself into technical diving. I had absolutely no doubts that TDI (technical diving international) is the proper training agency to choose. With this in mind I've started looking for a TDI dive shop, and very soon realised that Blue Marlin on Gili Trawangan is my one and only bet. Local branch manager at Blue Marlin Gili Air has helped to establish initial contact with main office on Trawangan and means of transportation to Gili T.
Blue Marlin on Gili T. Is a very well established dive center with a stone solid reputation, very nice team of instructora and great facilities. There are number of detailed positive reviews on TA, and I can agree with them.
I'd like to specifically discuss TEC department of BMD. I've picked two TDI entry courses: intro to tech and basic nitrox. My instructor was Ari Martinez, and cross my heart - he is the most professional diving instructor I've met so far. We have covered all of the materials in much more details than required by the course itself, with deep discussions into technical details. I'm an engineer ;))) On Nitrox course after extensive half-a-day theory discussion, was a single dive.
On following day, I was lucky enough to taste one of BMD exclusive offers - dive on a Japanese WW2 wreck. This is a quite chalenging (well at least for novices in tech like myself) dive with a certain amount of serious pre-dive planning, as this is a decompression dive. Ari was extremely helpfull in gearing us up, helping determing the right mixes e.t.c. Wreck itself is fantastastic experience.
Following couple of days, I've spend diving with different custom Nitrox mixes, and a twinset for the first times.
BMD has almost every imaginable tech equipment for renting, including single and dual bladder wings, backplates, twinsets, and even Liquivision Xeo computers. Staff is extremely attentive and helpful, and Ari Martinez provides an unbeatable high quality of training.
I'd like return to GiliT someday and continue futher TDI trainings (advanced nitrox and deco) with BMD and Ari.

BlueMarlinDive, Manager at Blue Marlin Dive Gili Trawangan, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Hello There,
Wow, what an incedible review! We are extremely happy you had a great introduction into the realm of technical dive training with Blue Marlin Dive and that your experience with our instructor Ari Martinez was, in your opinion, unbeatable. We agree he is an utmost professional in his approach to teaching, and Blue Marlin Dive is lucky to have him. We appreicate your attention to detail in your analyses of the dive centre and thank you sincerely for such a positive review. We look forward to seeing you back here again for your future courses to further your technical diving adventures.
Knd Regards,