“good resort and friendly staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trawangan Oasis

Trawangan Oasis
Ranked #13 of 144 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Denpasar, Indonesia
“good resort and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

my friend and I stayed at this resort for 5 days. we really enjoyed spending time in Gili, especially it was my first travel to another island. staff were friendly even the host -ZEY..
but for night, we had some difficulties about light on the street.. due to this resort is not near to town and no light on the street to go to resort (just provide flashlight)

distance from beach is not too far from the resort. just behind of the resort.
but for night party is located in town ( a little bit far) we used to go back before we get drunk or before too late night.

i am really thankful to people there... thank you so much

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

The price is equivalent with the hotel condition. It was located at north end of trawangan, and the access to the beach is not to clean. If the beach access is prepared better, i think it will give value to the property.
The accomodation is in average service. It has no restaurant, so you have to take outside or use delivery service. But the staff is kindly service you.
The location is quarantee you quite environment, especially on the night. It suitable if you look place for take a rest.
Anyway, it was equivalent w/ the price. For family with child, is affordable.

• Stayed December 2012
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights with my girlfriend in Oct 12.

Generally this was a great experience with a lot of positives. I think this hotel is suited to couples, as it is very quiet and relaxed. Due to its location, I would possibly warn off anyone with small children as it is a walk/ bike ride/ bumpy cimodo ride into the main strip. However if you don't mind any of these things then the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Pros
Very friendly, gentle staff (free coconut drinks).
Rooms finished to a high standard- beds very comfortable.
Great value for money.
Pool is brilliant for cooling off.
Gardens are immaculate.

Cons
Bikes were not free as advertised, they are very cheap, but definitely not free.
Resort could do with someone being in overall 'charge' on site, the staff made a small mistake with our booking and we were asked about it on 3 separate occasions. Not a huge issue, but just a recommendation for the owner.
The pool area is generally good, however there is a patch of around 2m that is very rough. Again no harm done but it needs attention before it becomes an issue.
Building work- I appreciate the need for expansion but its still annoying listening to hammers. They never started early or finished late though.

Overall this is a great place to stay if you read their website and take on the (small) drawbacks that the resort acknowledges, i.e. using grey water in the garden. Yes it stinks for about 2 minutes, then it goes away. The electricity goes off, not the resort's fault at all.
If you are looking for great value, away from the main bars, but still close to some great places on the quiet northern beach then this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here only one day, this hotel was far enough from harbour and main city.
It's a terrible idea to walking to hotel from harbour, we should take cidomo around Rp 50.000 from harbour to hotel.
There was 5 rooms in this hotel with clean pool. This hotel was quiet because it was far from main city. However this hotel was closer to north beach and we used bike to there (the bike is free).
Though it was quiet, but this hotel was comfortable, the room was great and had open air bathroom, also the staff was friendly. But there was one thing that I didn't like, when we came home to hotel in the night, the route to hotel was spooky, the road was dark and we also passed the grave. Please... give lamps around the road towards to hotel.
Overall, this was perfect place to people who need relaxation and away from noises.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank prisilaseran
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the trawangan oasis for 3 nights, it was on the north side and much quieter than towards the main strip near the south. The hotel has a nice set up with all the bungalo's facing in toward the main pool and breakfast bungalo area. There are only 5 or 6 rooms in total so it doesn't have that crowded hotel vibe - nice and relaxing in with the nature. Good for people looking for peace and quiet and the staff were friendly and personal with our welcome.

Room Tip: If you are planning on visiting the bars you will need to use the free rental bikes
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boo_2012
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

I booked my room on agoda.com while already traveling in Bali and unfortunately rather wished I hadn't once I'd got there.

And getting there was quite a battle. Before I left Bali I was in touch with the owner, asking about getting to the oasis from the boat dock. He or she said that cidomo (horse and cart, the only transportation other than push bikes on Gili T) rental was possible but that otherwise it was about a half hour walk from the boat dock. I think what they should have said was: "You should *really* get a cidomo - walking over the sandy path in the sun with baggage amd no clear directions is going to be a bit of a nightmare" Besides being much more than 30 minutes if you're hauling luggage, it's really hard to find, being quite a way off the beaten track, in the interior of the island and with no signs pointing the way. Even maps I'd managed to hunt out online weren't very helpful, giving varying reports as to its location. Even when you get to the compound, if you approach it from the wrong side there are no signs saying what it is. In fact I went past twice before helpful locals indicated where I was trying to go.

So. Pros:
It is quite a reasonable rate for the size of the room (I had a room in the newer bungalow) and the fact that it has a/c.
The pool is nice
The compound is kept clean and tidy.
The people who work there are very friendly.

Cons:
It is a really long way from town and not on the beach but reached by a series of dusty and sadly trash covered paths through palm groves.
There is no hot water, even though the print out in the room says there is. When I asked about this the young man said "Oh that was before"
While there is a tv, fridge and DVD player, it's all just in an ugly jumble in the corner.
The paint is already cracked and peeling on the interior.
There is frequently a very strong smell from the septic system.
Breakfast is *really* sparse.
There is no wifi.

And finally just a note. I am a woman traveling alone this time. After I arrived and put down my bags, I picked up my Lonely Planet guide and noticed that it said Gili T is one of the few places around Bali where women have been known to be assaulted and not to venture into lonely back lanes alone. "Oh, great", I thought. Thereafter I did not really feel safe getting to or going from the compound, especially when there were groups of guys hanging around the numerous shacks and building sites you have to pass to get to the beach or town.

It's not my intention to do a hatchet job here but I've found that tripadvisor reports have really helped me in the past and I hope this will help other travelers too. Given the range of choice on Gili T, I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rosegrrl
, Owner at Trawangan Oasis, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Hi Rosegrrl, thanks for your feedback. In our email to you and all our guests, we say "it is best to get a cidomo to our place," as on our webpage and in Agoda we clearly state we are on the North end of the island and I agree it can be hard to find if you don't know the paths. All the Cidomo drivers do and you can get here for $5.00 (Rp50,000)
Being on the quieter part of the island away from "party central" where the is noise often till 4am, suits lots of people, like families with children and guests who don't like to party all night and we think we have clearly explained this. We are only 200 metres from North Beach, arguably the best snorkeling beach on the island and this can be seen from other Trip Advisor comments.
I agree that some of the paths have rubbish and this is an ongoing education of the local people to "do the right thing" and pick up rubbish or not drop it in the first place. As you state, we take great pride in keeping Oasis clean with a nice garden, crystal clean pool and what we believe is a good breakfast. Our low season room rate is $30 (Rp300,000) and we certainly cannot offer wifi etc at that price and believe we offer a good price for budget accommodation.
Regarding safety concerns for females, there has been some incidents near Rudy's Pub, once again in the party area, but in the North in my 8 years of living and coming and going from the area, have never heard of a single incident.

I'm sorry your Gili Trawangan holiday wasn't what you expected, but feel a lot of your comments are out of Trawangan Oasis control.

Regards,
Mark Watters (Owner)
vianen, nederland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. In a few minutes you are on the beach and a ten min. by bike you are on the harbour. Breakfast was good, omelet or pancakes wich are delicieus. The pool is nice after a day on the beach. The staff makes you feel like home. The best stay on gili trawangan!

• Stayed May 2012