“Wonderful Place to Stay”
Review of Scallywags Resort

Scallywags Resort
Ranked #3 of 174 Gili Trawangan B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Gili T on a long honeymoon trip around SE Asia last summer. We had such a great stay - 6 nights - that I had to write up a review. The rooms were a great value - much nicer than we expected. Rooms looked just like the pictures, and we adored the outdoor batheroom. Prices for a soda, beer, or even local wine from the mini fridge were comparable to the mini marts on the island.

The service was fantastic, our room was always prompltly cleaned while we went out for a morning dive, and the service at breakfast and around the pool was prompt. What really touched me was on our last day we checked out, and headed to the pier to wait for the Gili Cat. I apparently forgot a pair of sandals in the room and once of the staff (bartender I think) showed up at the pier (a 10 minute bike) with my shoes! I was so suprised and extremely grateful.

Lastly, the boat trip over to Gili Meno was wonderful, the hotel's sister beach club was stunning, worth it go for an afternoon. Loved the room, value, service and restaurant. Definitely stay here!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveler53145

Reviewed May 9, 2011

I was at Scallywags with Donna and family and friends last month. Dave the manager proved extremely helpful and friendly and we could not fault the staff in any way. There is quite a lot to choose from at Gili T but I will be going back to Scallywags. Also the organisation by the staff for transferres to and from the island were very well coordinated.
Thanks Scallywags.
Karen

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed at Scallywags for 6 nights from the 24th April this year.
The rooms are magnificent. The service is superb. The food is delicious. The hotel itself is like an island paradise.
Dave the Manager is a friendly, helpful and dedicated man.
His staff are also great at everything they do.
If I had the chance I would have stayed longer.
A must place to see for all who travel to Gili.
You must also try the drink I made up "Donna's Wili on Gili".
The bar staff will know.

Room Tip: We had 8 out of 10 rooms. All great!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed at Scallywags for 6 nights and up until the end were most highly impressed. Setting was just beautiful; food amazing and it really was a fabulous place to stay for both adults and kids alike. Unlike so many island hotels, Scallywags really have done a great job in getting all the little touches just right. The hotel room is just the right size, with a great bathroom off the back. The pool area was perfectly in the middle of restaurant and rooms so very convenient and yet private too. We took the boat to Gilli Air at their recommendation and were even more impressed with the Scallywags over there. The staff were friendly and attentive, particularly to my 3 and 6 year old daughters who had a lot of freedom roaming about the place. The only downside was on leaving, we had requested (3 separate times) to extend our stay one more night. Somehow, this was 'lost in translation' (not really) and did not make it to the actual booking sheet. When we tried to confirm this on our last day were informed that there no longer were rooms, and someone who had just arrived had secured it for another night instead! I think the management needs some further training, as this should not have happened and unfortunately put a slight downer on the end of what really was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Planned to stay 2 nights but stayed for 6 instead...Till the end of vacations in Indonesia..very nice rooms, friendly stuff, great food!

Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I am very torn about my recommendation because this place is really nice. Our room was beautiful, loved the beds and the outdoor bathroom. I wouldn't stay here again despite this due to the fact that if something goes wrong, there is no recourse.

I turned in a bag of laundry to have it washed. One item was returned destroyed. They tried again to remove the black stains that had appeared all over my orange colored dress and came back to me with it looking as bad as the first time. The sweet guy who was working apologized to me, but offered no solution. I asked what they planned to do since they ruined an item of mine. He told me that the woman "his friend" who washed it could probably pay for it if I told him how much it cost. I wasn't about to make some poor girl who washed my dress pay out of pocket for this. I really felt that this should be handled/covered by Scallywags as the dress was clearly not something that could be worn again. I requested to speak with a manager and my friend overheard the manager (assumed to be Australian?) telling the others to deal with it on their own. I specifically asked to speak with him and he would not. I told the guy at the front that I didn't feel comfortable having his "friend" pay for my ruined dress even though she was the one that washed it. He said "oh good, thank you very much." I left feeling very unhappy with the outcome, but would have felt worse if I would have had this girl pay for it.

Management - step it up. This review would have gone much differently if you did more than make a joke about a volcano erupting during our stay.

The pluses:
-The staff - very sweet, but need to communicate between themselves about who has already resolved issues. I had to discuss my dress with 10 different people at breakfast, at the pool, when dropping off my key, getting ice cream ... I began to feel pretty embarrassed about how often it was brought up.
-The rooms are really nice - AC works well, clean, comfortable. Love.
-The pool - the chairs are really nice and when it rains you can go under a protected area, but still stay by the pool. We used this area a lot.

Negatives:
-Management
-Food - Didn't do the BBQ, but the food was awful

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
ScallywagsManagement, Manager at Scallywags Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2011

Dear guest,

I would like to apologise in person regarding the incident with your dress. I certainly did not mean for the laundry girl to pay for the damaged item. I wanted the staff to inform you that Scallywags would pay for any loss incurred. It seems a simple problem got way out of hand and too many people were involved in trying to find a solution. Having shed light on the incident I see that much was lost in translation and that I should have just approached you directly.

Thank you for highlighting this and I am sorry that my response spoiled your otherwise wonderful stay at our resort.

Regards

David

Resort manager

Reviewed April 6, 2011

By far the best place to stay in Gilli T... The staff are amazing and helpful... everyone is in a great mood which provides for an awesome atmosphere. The hotel isn't massive I think there is a max capacity for like 20 rooms or something.. but it is luxury and affordable.

The buffet dinner is all fresh and a taste sensation. The owener of the hotel is a champion and worth having a chat to. There were honeymooners and there were backpackers who wanted to party. It is just a reallly amazing place!!!

It is a no brainer to stay at this little place.

Room Tip: for about $20US a night ask for hideaway!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Les Villas Ottalia
Les Villas Ottalia
#8 of 38 in Gili Trawangan
Le Pirate Beach Club Gili T Hotel

Been to Scallywags Resort? Share your experiences!