I really wanted to love this place, but I left feeling it was just ok. I want to rate it a 3 1/2 star. If not for the staff, I'd probably give it a 2 1/2.
-Very friendly staff - they remembered my name, always asked how I was, and were quick to respond to any request. They can arrange a bike or snorkel rental, and were always smiling. I enjoyed the breakfast options very much.
- I liked the open air shower.
-Good snorkeling right off the beach.
-The location is a bit far from the restaurants/bars - a 15-20 minute walk or 5-10 minute bike ride. At night, in the dark, this is a bit far coming back.
-There is very loud construction going on next door, so I was unable to find the calm and quiet I was seeking at the beach during the day (if I had, the distance to town at night wouldn't have bothered me as much).
-The staff from here and from the nearby hotels/restaurants also hang out at the beach during the day, and would be yelling back and forth to each other. I was really hoping to find calm and relaxation, but was unable to due to the noise
-A boat docks morning and late afternoon directly in front of the beach to bring fresh water - it has a loud motor and is disruptive if you're on the beach
- I booked a beachfront room, but the hotel is set so far back, you're really not right on the beach - I was hoping to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the view, but it was more of a pool view. Don't bother with the beachfront rooms - the others are better and more private. Everyone has to walk by the beachfront room to get to their room, so you have to keep the blinds shut at all times - no privacy.
- Beachfront Room faces East and curtains were inadquate to keep out sun in the morning
- A/C kept going out; one night at 2 am. The windows don't open so the room got very hot and sticky. They were able to resolve it, but frustrating nonetheless, especially in the middle of the night. It was unbelievably hot and humid so A/C really is a must.
In short, I was hoping for a more luxurious experience, with calm and quiet during the day, with convenience to the bars/restaurants at night. This wasn't terrible, but I didn't find what I was looking for.
I liked the island overall, and will be back, but next time will look at Kokomo or Villa Ombok, or something else on the South side of the island, where I did find quiet.. Also - found from talking to others that you can get a much better deal by just showing up than by booking in advance. I met a couple who got Kokomo for less than I had paid for Bale Sampan.
Tips: You can sit at the bar at the Irish place and order off the Sushi menu next door.. Beach House bbq was quite good; rent a bike to get around.. Pack light - it's crazy hot there - sundresses, tank tops, lightweight shorts, flip flops etc.. very casual! Villa Ombok spa was really nice - 2 1/2 hour treatment for $45!
Gili T is a very friendly place - easy to get around.. definitely go!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz and Expedia so you can book your Bale Sampan Bungalows reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bale Sampan Bungalows Hotel Gili Trawangan
- Bale Sampan Hotel
- Bale Sampan Bungalows Gili Islands/Gili Trawangan