“Great accommodation, helpful staff but bad English skills”

Luce d'Alma Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The rooms were great, and a staff member brought me water and bread at 2am when I returned home extremely drunk! Great service in that respect.

However, the ladies at the front desk didn't speak good english at all - when she told me they were full the next night, I wasn't able to understand her. I got a big shock the next day at noon when I was evicted from the room!

Recommended, but with a small flaw.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I have no way to compare this hotel to any other hotels on Gili T as this is our first stay on the island. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are nice and big. The staff is also very polite and eager to help and very accommodating.
The pool by the room is great and we spent a lot of time in it.
They also have free movies available at the front desk and we ended up picking up a couple of movies for after dinner.
As other reviewers have pointed out this place is indeed since ways from the harbor. With two kids with bed times around 8:30 we decided to eat in found the food choices to be not so great. It might be catering to people with preference for pastas pizzas and burgers but us trying to find seafood there were limited options and of the options on the menu everything we asked for was not there. I asked for a bottle of shiraz and was asked if I wanted red or white which had me a bit worried about what I'd get.
The water pressure in the room is very very bleak. It's like taking a shower under a drip irrigation system.
The people in the spa are very nice and good but make sure you book based on what you want. We booked a shots for 7 PM and no question was asked. On arriving at the spa we were asked about the option and were told that is not possible because it takes you past their closing time of 9 PM. Just ended up getting a massage for that evening.

All in all its very comfortable and I would say it's a good place to pick if you don't have to eat in at night or are OK with pizza pasta and burgers.
Can't take anything away from the staff great friendly and helpful people.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Abhijit D
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Pros:
- Very spacious room (probably it qualifies as a suite), with living room separated from the bedroom
- Pool directly outside the room, very convenient
- comfortable bed, clean bathrooms, good quality towels
- The staff are friendly and helpful
- The owner,Lucio, is on site, and very friendly, chatting with all the guests and help them if necessary
- Free bike rental already included
- Ala carte breakfast (with small buffet area serving snacks and cereals), so the food is made to order. It is a nice touch for the hotel, but I would say that the variety of the buffet can be improved.

Cons:
- Quite far from the harbor, and the road around the island was very bad, and at night many parts are very dark (not the hotel’s fault), so it can be painful to bike around the island :D
- The water pressure is a bit weak, but still acceptable

Room Tip: Choose the room no 115, at the corner, so you will have a bit more privacy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Rianto H
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are simple, stylish and comfortable. I loved being able to go from our room to deck to the pool. The pool is so wonderful - 85 meters of sea water. I swam laps every day, and unlike some other resorts, the pool never closes. It is suitable for couples - romantic and secluded. The host was wonderful - friendly and accommodating. The hotel provides you with a bike to get around the island. We had a great time snorkelling, kayaking, swimming, and just lying around the pool. I will definitely be going back to Luce d'Alma.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great - they all surround the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the resort for 9 nights throughout mid february. In short i feel we picked the best place to stay on gili T. We had a wonderful time here and if we were to ever head back this way I would definatley stop here again.
Its hard to put in a bracket what luce d'alma is with regards to accomodation. It's a beautiful resort with some great accomodation, It's not an out of this world resort butIi believe it doesn't try to be. The staff are casually dressed and it has a great casual, chilled out vibe about the place. In mentioning the staff I have to say they were all fantastic, super friendly and really made us feel welcome. We had an issue where someone had taken my bike from outside another resort on the island and having travelled alot of asia I straight away thought I was going to get hit in the pocket big time when having to fork out for one of the resorts bikes. Not at all, the staff immediatley told me not to worry about it and that "it will be somewhere on the island and will turn up" I sincerely hope they have found it.
I could go on all day about why you should choose this place to stay, but put short, if you are looking for luxury accomodation on gili T, with a chilled out vibe, supe clean rooms, super nice staff, and layed back service, then go here.
I don't wish to end on a negative note but as some people have previously stated, the couple things I'd say luce d'alma could do with improving is the restuarant food and maybe the "private" beach. Everything we ate here was fine and I have no problem with any of the food we ordered but there are far better places to eat on the island (eg..scallywags and ko ko mo restaurant) which found us going out 90% of the time for eats. If they were to be more up market with the menu then then this would encourage guests to stay at the resort for eats rather than venturing out. And lastly the small strip of sand with luce'd alma sun loungers on is exactly that, a small strip of sand on Gili T's very not private, main beach. if you are expecting (as we were) a small private beach nestled on the island somewhere with its own little bar, you will be left a little disappointed. All in all though a wonderful time at a great place with brillaint staff. give it a go!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zulublues79
Reviewed March 10, 2014

There are not so many excellent options on this small island, however I'm sure that Luce is between the 3 best options there. One of the most exciting experiences Ive ever had about the staff, as they're so kind and happy always trying to make you feel happy too, "no worries, they keep saying". For sure if I ever go back to this paradise Island I'll go to this fabulous place. One important thing about its location is that it is not seaview, you have to ride your bike around3 or 4 minutes to reach the seafront, however the hotel provides you with 2 bikes per room, so its very cool to ride your bike and check the island. You can complete the round trip on the island in 1 and a half hour not going fast and check the great landscapes, take some pics, snorkel and for sure, going to the viewpoint over the hill its a great option as well. Besides all of this, Luce provides you with its own private beach, where you can go snorkeling or simply drink a icy cold beer in front of the beach, just for guests. If youre looking for some party, dont loose your time, on the low season Sama-Sama bar is the palce.

Room Tip: If you can, take the private pool room, its the best one, with a pool just for you.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Aloir
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We chose this hotel, based on the nice Pictures of the hotel and the good reviews. We spent 4 days here and were really pleased with our choice. The hotel is well-managed with warm, friendly staff who seem to enjoy working at the hotel. The rooms and the pool fully lived up to the Pictures and the staff was always painting, fixing the garden etc in order to ensure that the hotel keeps it's good look and atmosphere. Even though the hotel is situated away from the sea, it is easy to move around the Island - thank's to the excellent bike service at the hotel.
The only thing that could be improved would be to provide fresh juice for breakfast.

Room Tip: If you travel with Young children, choose a room at the far end of the pool, where the pool is shall...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family