“Quiet and peaceful”

Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Perth, Australia
“Quiet and peaceful”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Twelve people consisting of 2 families with older teenagers, we rented four bungalows plus Mangku and Mahi Mahi rooms, we liked the old style of this resort and especially the outdoor bathrooms, I think they could put fridges & a TV with DVD players in the rooms for the price that you pay, the other disappointing aspect was none of the water features were operating, besides breakfast which we really enjoyed by the sea under the cool trees and lull of the ocean they had nothing to order off their main menu, every day we wanted to eat at the hotel and had to go somewhere else.....such a shame, the hotel was full and they could of had the basics on the menu. We liked the cool swimming pool and the staff were very delightful to talk to. The distance from the main action of town did affect some of our members of the family, especially when some us got sick or it rained(monsoon like), but for me personally it didn't bother me at all as I like to ride a bike and be away from the crowds. Its old style here with the mozzie nets, squeaky floorboards, bugs and chunky carved bali style furniture, we liked all of the rooms, I stayed in the Mangku room which is upstairs above the Mahi Mahi room, it felt very private with a day bed on the veranda, the air-conditioning wasn't fantastic but did the job. There is a lot of choice on the island for accommodation, I really think it comes down to the noise factor, I wouldn't recommend putting extra beds in a room due to the mosquitos, you really need the net. We enjoyed a four day stay. You need to like walking or cycling to stay here, the track into town at night is very dark and sandy until you get to the main track into town, the locals are fantastic, the horse and cart guys are really bad, they need to change this aspect of the island. Overall we had mixed feeling for Trawangan, I liked it but its not for everyone, the boat trips over isn't to crash hot either so be fussy on what boat you pick. I was the only one out of the group that would consider going back to Gilli T, I appreciated the old style like Bali used to be in the 80s and 90s:)

Room Tip: We loved the Mangku room and Mahi Mahi( you can hear people from above in the Mahi Mahi as the floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nene66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bogor, West Java
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Me and family loved the stay at Gili Alam! We stayed at fish suite and it was very comfortable yet spacious for family. The service was excellent and superb friendly, only one receptionist at night shift that we think less friendly than others. We love the banana pancake for breakfast. The location is a bit far from centre..so I think it is best for people who want to escape from crowd. There is no tv channel and phone at room, but there is dvd player (maybe you can bring yours).The hot water also didn't work well. But overall, we love the atmosphere and super friendly people there.

• Stayed December 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed at Alam Gili after a RAYmarkable Bali experience at Alam Jiwa, Ubud. I was not expecting the kind of setting that Alam Gili offers in an island location in this part of Indonesia. The resort is away from the crowd which fits my preference. It is the perfect place for someone who loves to relax after doing island activities in the Gili islands. Well, I usually do a lot of research works before choosing the perfect accommodation for my trip. Truly Alam Gili captures my type of accommodation in an island location for being peaceful and for having a relaxing ambience. However, the maintenance of the place during my stay lacked improvement. Considering that the area of the resort is limited, not having a wide beach front, maintenance should emphasize in making the place look spacious and vibrant... Overall, it is a very good place!

Maraming salamat Alam Gili family :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I am familiar with the Alam hotels in Ubud, which is why I chose to stay here. Overall, not quite the same standard as the others but I still liked it. The location away from the main drag was a bonus for us. Just a 15 minute walk to the beginning of the party scene strip, which was easy enough to do in the day. A night we preferred to get a horse and cart back, because it was a little isolated and dark in places. Horse and cart ride should only cost you 50, 000rp. The food is the same quality as the rest of the Alam group and that is sensational! Good choice for breakfast freshly made and taken either to your room or the beach setting under a canopy of trees - gorgeous!
The rooms were quite dark and we always closed the front door and bathroom door to keep the bugs out. In saying that we did love to sit on the little verandah and daybed and read, so were not in the room very often. We had to rent bikes from next door 75,000 for 24 hrs and that was well worth doing. Pool here was clean and refreshing and I enjoyed my swims here. Staff were friendly and attentive. Wifi didn't often work in the room, so had to wander up to reception and use the service there, which wasn't a problem as all the rooms are quite close. I would recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay here again. Value for money, you can't beat it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank LeeLou64
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a lovely stay here. The breakfast is great as was all food we had at the hotel. Staff were wonderful. Great to hire the bikes to get around the island. We stayed in the 2 story room which was lovely except the stairs were a bit scary (particularly for kids) and it was quite hot upstairs even with the aircon on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Alam Gili last week, it has a beautiful scene in from the outside that made me choose this place to release my nerves after having a very fun day in Gili T. Very good place, just a small problem with the staff to comunicate as well as i expected.
This place still have worst room to stay (bugs&etc) (1/20 probability), if you feeling unlucky you might get that one.
You can find "villa ombak hotel" also if you want to find another place to stay that provide great quality of service like Alam Gili Hotel

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elfano E
New York City
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We chose this hotel on Gili T because we were staying at a sister property, Alam Jiwa, in Ubud. Alam Jiwa was amazing in every way, so we imagined that Alam Gili would be our best bet on Gili T. What a surprise, in every way.

Things went badly right at the beginning. We made a reservation for the largest room, but when we got there we saw it was a giant two-story house, very dark inside, very hot, musty, very gloomy, bugs, it was just entirely unpleasant in every way. There was air conditioning but it was completely ineffective for the size of the building. I went to reception to inquire about changing rooms and was told that there were no other rooms available. Our interactions with the staff were also unpleasant; from the start, it was a stiff and belligerent experience with them. Believing we had no other choice but to stay in our room, we decided to look at other hotels nearby, thinking we'd check out the next morning instead of staying for three days, as we'd planned. We found a lovely place nearby, made arrangements to move the following morning, and then returned to Alam Gili to inform them that we'd be checking out the next day. Magically there were other rooms available. We were not interested because we'd clearly been lied to, but also because the whole property was dark and gloomy, and the other smaller rooms looked no better.

The pool was attractive but the deck around the pool was littered with leaves and other vegetation, there were no cushions on the chairs, and we had to find someone to ask them for cushions and towels. Again we were met with scowls and belligerent attitudes.

We barely slept, the room was so stuffy and hot and awful, and the night passed very slowly. We checked out very early, walked to the other hotel, and had a perfectly wonderful time there. It was literally everything Alam Gili wasn't. The people there were friendly, the room was light and clean and cool, the pool was tended to and well-stocked, and we felt welcomed. Exactly the opposite of our miserable experience at Alam Gili.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple