“Amazing location, staff and facitlities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pesona Resort

Pesona Resort
Ranked #21 of 35 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing location, staff and facitlities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at Pesona for 4 nights in early January 2013 at the end of our girls trip to Bali in one of the two bedroom villas. The private balcony had two day beds which where well utlisied and it felt like our own private oasis.

The rooms where clean and very well maintained, we even had beautfiul flowers in our rooms on arrival - its the small touches that count.

The food in the restuarant was beautiful and very well priced - the butter chicken was a must try!

We had organised a fast boat back to Bali but due to the weather these where cancelled. On the advice of Sandesh - the most helpful owner I have ever come across - we organised a boat to Lombok, transfer to the airport and a flight back to Bali, saving us about 10 hours travel time. Despite the fact we organised these plans at 10pm at night Sandesh went out of his way to assit and organised everything for us whilst we sat back and enoyed a bingtan.

We will definately be back on our next trip to Bali!

Room Tip: The private villa is definately worth the slight extra cost.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We arrived on Gili from the speed boat journey quite wet and drained. Any the Persona was perfect, a clean and welcoming place to relax and explore the island. Lovely rooms and great value, breakfast was great and made to order. Food in the evenings was a treat, the butter nann is worth the boat ride!! The staff and the owners are great, very welcoming and would do anything you asked and more! I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at persona for 2 nights based on recommendations on trip advisor. It's a very central location which has it's pros and cons. It would be a fantastic place to stay if you are very young and love to party as the place is alive and the party keeps going until after 2am in the morning and is very popular. If you are a bit older and like to relax I wouldn't recommend it as we found it very difficult to sleep especially being in the front guest room where we could hear music pumping all night.
Staff were kind, but we were glad to only book for 2 nights and then we have moved on to a quieter place on the island to have a more peaceful holiday.

I think people who read reviews about the hotel need to be aware about the loud noise and work out if that's the kind of place they want to stay at.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kimbo3000
sannygowda, Owner at Pesona Resort, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed by music until 2am (this was NOT from our bar!). This was because next door threw a late night birthday party without telling us that they would be keeping the music loud until quite late. If we had known this before hand we could have at least pre-warned all our guests and managed expectations.

It appears that your stay was otherwise fine and that you enjoyed the hotel as such, so I can only apologise for what happened last night as a one-off that unfortunately you had to endure. As you can imagine this was out of our control so it feels a very harsh indeed to receive such a bad rating from yourself as you really need to put your issue in the context of your whole stay…I’m not too sure you have done this...but never the less we have to accept the highs and lows of our reviewers.

As FYI our own bar closes at 1am (with last orders at 12.30am) and we get guests of all ages staying with us from single travelers, young couples to parents with families and professionals who are able to relax and enjoy what the hotel has to offer and on the Gili’s themselves.

I hope the rest of your stay on the Gili's is better.

Kind regards
Sandesh (Owner)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in bungalow no.4 after finishing our dive trips with Manta Dive. I think I would have appreciated the place more if I had not experienced something better at the same rate i.e. 600,000 per night.

Room: very traditional design, hence it is a bit dark. In comparison to modern bungalows, these traditional ones do not have class window. If you want some sun, you have to open the wooden window. However, the mosquito net has too many big holes, which means you are risking to sleep with mosquitoes at night.

Facilities: there is an LG flat screen TV in the room. Unfortunately, there is no channels, but a DVD player. You can easily find recent release DVD of acceptable quality at 15,000 INR on the island.

Shower water is from a well and thus quite salty. This could be a legacy problem. But on the other hand, there are plenty of other hotels at the same price point or even cheaper offering tasteless fresh water shower.

Free wifi is reasonably good and is available in public area.

Breakfast: slightly disappointing with limited selections ( coffee, tea or juice with 2 eggs of any style or fruits platter or something else which I cannot remember)

Restaurant: we only tried the Indian food, which I have to give our compliments to the chef.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michelle C
sannygowda, Owner at Pesona Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are in the process of renovating (painting & fixing snag list type issues) in all the bungalows one by one, as we have completed renovation in all the other room types last year. The team already have the mosquito net issue on their to-do list. Its a valid point you have raised and it will be dealt with now. Thankyou for pointing out the traditional style of these bungalows as this is the main draw of these rooms which are quite tastefully decorated with modern and thoughtful touches inside the room, which we consider a good balance.

We give every guest a welcome talk and you were no different. We clearly explained to you both before check-in (Note: you were a walk-in guest too) that your room has a TV/DVD Player only (no cable channels) and that we don't have fresh water in our rooms. Our emails/website also does not mention otherwise, so I am slightly confused as to why you booked a room here if these 2 items were your priority, which you explained in your email personally to me.

In terms of other hotels providing fresh water, this is true we are starting to see this more and more on the Gili's but as yet I don't feel its stable enough to install through out the resort. Other hotels may advertise it but i know that last high season and through out the year there were problems with fresh water supply so guests will have ended up showering in well water, which is why we have not installed it yet or advertised it yet. Simple answer, yes if this was the most important thing for you, then you should have considered staying elsewhere rather than checking in here and being disappointed with the lack of this specific facility which works for neither of us.

In terms of price I believe we are quite fairly priced compared to other good hotels on the island with all the facilities we provide (we have just picked up the 2013 Trip Advisor Traveler Award in this category). Here are a few just to mention: Free working WIFI, all rooms have tv/dvd's, hot water, safety deposit boxes, balconies and hammocks.

Staying at Pesona is more than just a room, we have a great indoor area to relax and watch movies/sports on the big screen or just chill and read a book..unlike many other places on the island. We have a really chilled pool bar and swimming pool at the front of the resort so making friends or meeting people is really easy. My staff are great too and I know the guests appreciate this during their stay as I personally try and spend time with my guests to ensure their stay is comfortable... unfortunately in your case I had just left the island.

As for breakfast we offer eggs any style (inc omelette) with toast or pancake...both with side fresh fruit salad or a large fresh Fruit salad. All served with orange juice, tea or coffee. We consider this a good range of choices for a free breakfast, and are sorry you don't feel the same. I will continue to monitor our breakfast options in the future.

I note you are from Singapore, so its a credit to my chefs that you enjoyed our Indian Food, I will pass this feedback on to them personally. I hope have addressed all your points, and thanks for taking the time to write a review for us.

Regards,
Sandesh (Owner)
Kerobokan, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Have to say that we chose the place by the great food reviews found here on Trip Adviser. And boy were they right. We ate three nights out of our 4 in the restaurant. Fantastic food. Dahls, Samosa's and Naan's. Pakora and Dosa. Actually I think the only "main" we ordered was the Tandori Chicken. Everything else was more Indian Tapas. Delish!! Need to go back to sample the rest of the menu.

We had a double room above the owners flat. Huge patio balcony area. Use of clear polycarb for the roof meant it was too hot to be used during the day. We did sit out there at night though. Was great!
This set up would be perfect for a family, Mum dad and the kids in the other room. Was a little weird for two couples. You go through one bedroom from the other to get to the toilet. We made it work.

This little gem isn't without a couple of flaws. The smell of the water in the bathroom. Pure Sulfur. Was a real pong every time you had a shower or ran water in the basin. Needs to be looked at 'tout de suite'. The bed base in the second room had plywood sheeting under the mattress. It's broken and beyond it's use by date. It made a noise when you looked at it! My wife wanted me to put it on the verandah on the first night! Need to fork out for a good bed base guys!

Room Tip: Get a room further in away from the street. AC is a must, especially over the wet months so splurge...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is my second time staying in Pesona and this experience was just as amazing as my first! The staff are fantastic always personally greeting you when they see you and doing whatever they can to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Every time I leave Pesona I feel sad to be leaving such a great place with such kind and friendly staff!! Next time I go I may even end up staying!!

• Stayed January 2013
tilburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at Pesona for 2 nights in september 2012. We booked the villa room and payed a total
of $150. Pesona is located on the main street of Gili T. With a nice pool in front of the reception, you can't miss
it. We were welcomed by the assistant manager (forgot his name). I have met lot's of personnel who are very
helpfull, but this man really stands out in terms of service. For example: I lost my watch in Seminyak. This man
did evrything he could to help me with this case. Awesome!
The Villa room we had was a very big room located on the ground floor. The livingroom is the bedroom as well and
is quite nicely furnished. There is a flatscreen telly with dvd-player. You can rent the movies for free at the reception.
The bathroom is typically Balinese. That means sufficient but not extremely clean. However all this more than manageable.
Next to the pool is a nice bar and near the reception they have a chill out where they show movies. All very nice. The food is
also very good. We loved the indian food like samosa's. You can have your breakfast at the beach. doesn't get much better
than that! We really like it there and woudl be very happy to return sometime soon!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple