“Really nice little place”

Pesona Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for 5 night in November. The Resort is small but easy to find on the main road in Gili T. Its really convenient to dive shops and great restaurants. We stayed 1 night in a standard room and 4 nights in one of the bungalows. All the rooms are really clean and super cute. The porch on the front of the bungalow was such a nice hangout spot, including a hammock. The breakfast was big, and the family who runs Pesona are very friendly, helpful, and interested that you have a great experience. There are dive shops and bars nearby, but we were never disturbed by noise. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely stay in a bungalow!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Gili Trawangan in December 2011. We had initially planned to stay for 3 nights and then visit the other islands but, ended up staying for 7 as we just couldn’t leave. We didn’t have a reservation when we arrived but read great reviews on Trip Advisor about Pesona so headed here first to see if we could get a room. Thankfully, there was room available. We stayed in an AirCon Room which was clean, modern and very comfortable. The couple that run the hotel are lovely and extremely helpful. When we arrived we were offered breakfast and got a complete run through on the Island by the owners. As we were unsure of how long we wanted to stay we had to extend our stay each morning and there were no problems. The food in the hotel is also AMAZING!!!! At night, there is a lovely atmosphere at the restaurant and a gorgeous seating area by the beach. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody visiting the Island. Thank you for an amazing stay Pesona!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidayhopper34
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I went to the Gili Islands with my wife as part of a journey around Indonesia and chose Pesona based on the reviews in Trip Advisor - we were not disappointed! We booked a deluxe bungalow, which was quite luxurious for the price: Air-con, large comfortable bed, nice bathroom, and lovely balcony with hammock which we spent a lot of time relaxing on. The salt water shower really didn’t bother us; in fact we found most of Gili runs on salt water.

The owners were really friendly, great recommendations and very helpful. Location is perfect, we were basically in the middle of everything and we got very reasonable rates for diving, boat trips and horse riding through reception. The hotel was particularly clean and had an exotic feel plus food was amazing (we ate there at least once a day). All in all a great stay, loved Gili and hope to come back to Pesona again at some point soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tajinder2000
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I've been to Pesona twice now, the first time just for a few days, but now I've come back to "live" for at least 1 month here.. probably longer.

I came back for several reasons:

- the staff / owners are amazing; they will tell you anything and everything you need to know - about the island, where to party, where to snorkel, what to see, what to do and what to avoid, how to stay safe, local culture, and anything you need to know.

- the food is outstanding, the best Indian food I've ever eaten! They have sheesha too, which is nice on an evening, lying in their open air, beach/sea facing restaurant.

- they have the best wi-fi Internet on the island (and you can come and use it for free, just chill by the pool and check your facebook). I am here to work, I work online every day and the Internet is actually the same as it is for me in England!

- they have a swimming pool, which ISN'T full of divers as they aren't a dive school - so as a result it is much more social, people hang out there all day, and it is really easy to meet people around the pool, restaurant and bar - especially as word travels and people turn up to just use the pool who aren't staying there and just hang out too.

- the rooms are NICE, clean, cleaned daily, and in 2+ weeks here I've never had any problems or even heard of any complaints of anything going missing, which can be a problem in some places. The staff are trustworthy, and always friendly.

- the location on the island is IDEAL. It is very near all of the restaurants and nightlife, but luckily is insulated enough that it isn't noisy on a night time like other places nearby are - so you can sleep without noise - and in a cool, air conditioned room, or just with a GOOD fan if you prefer :)

- it's also just 5 minutes walk walk from the best snorkeling area where you can rent a snorkel for $2, and just walk into the water, swim 5 meters onto beautiful colorful reef and swim with giant turtles.

- they have a mixture of rooms at different budgets, so something for everyone which brings an interesting mix of different people from different backgrounds, budgets, and countries.

Overall, for the price it is mid-range, but with the pool, restaurant, social friendly atmosphere you get a lot more than you pay for, whether you want to sit and sunbathe by the pool, go snorkeling, and especially if you want to meet people, socialize and find friends to go out with.. then I really can't recommend Pesona enough.. I'm here for another few weeks, but I know I will be back here later on my travels too.
Dan

Room Tip: Range of rooms at different prices
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I am kind of late to write this but I want other traveler to know how helpful the staff of this hotel.
Last year we went to Bali and Gili Trawangan, while in Kuta we bought hotel voucher for Gili Trawanagan and the Blue Water catamaran return ticket at the top travel agent there.

Without any prejudice I just hop on to the island and went straight to the hotel, one of the Gili's best hotel I thought, but unfortunately they just said I wasn't booked at, the agent must had made some mistake.

Well, the agent's office was there and they just simply gave back the money. What's a bad day I thought ? Lucky I found Pesona Resort, still at the beach front, at the same street with the first one, which was full at that day but the staff, after I told the incident that just happened, managed to help us and rent for us the hotel owner's private room. Such a big room, at 2nd floor, full with some Hinduism decoration .....for cheaper price then the money given back to me. Then all of a sudden ... it's a lucky day.

What's the point of writing this ? My grateful feeling for the staff of Pesona Resort.
Location is facing the beach, with the only authentic Indian Restaurant on this island I thought ? Have some kind of lounge facing the pool and the best is the staff, very kind
friendly.

Well, I might be not objective enough to judge while stay there. Its yours to decide.

Room Tip: Room in the alley is cheaper but close to the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We enjoyed a very relaxing 10 days at the Persona Resort. The atmosphere was very friendly with a lot of room for a family like us. The owning couple was very kind to us and were very kind to give good advices, make activities for our children and help with practical issues. Our kids had a wonderfull time and made new friends including the owners kids.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Pesona Resort- Gili

Incredible... That is how I have been left feeling since my stay at Pesona. My experience at Pesona restores my faith in the hotel industry and customer service. For an independent hotel i.e not part a large multi national hotel chain, we were given top quality service, made to feel like I was the only customer staying at the resort and taken care of at all times. The family atmosphere is endearing; Sumeena and her husband Sanny are based on site and go out of their way to do anything you need. And I mean ANYTHING.

Peson has so much to offer as a complete package I am not sure my few paragraphs here are going to do it much justice but as an overview I hope you find this useful.

> Location
Far enough away, close enough, overall a perfect location... The hotel is located so you can easily access the best and most popular bars and best diving schools, but be far enough away so the noise or stragglers don't wake you up at closing time. The hotel is also a short walk from the pier so not far to drag your heavy back pack either.

> Food
The Indian food is authentic, tasty, delicious, fresh and in my opinion very reasonably priced. Since being away from London I have craved an India food fix and Pesona Resort has sorted me out most nights. My personal recommendations are the chicken tikka, butter chicken, the freshly made naan breads and a cheeky poppadom / lamb samosa while you sip a cold Bintang on Pesona's beach front sofa's. I tried a number of other places on the island, but I personally felt the quality and value for money made Pesona the top spot. Also, if you fancy fresh sea food there is also a BBQ in the evening. I could not bring myself not to eat the curry of an evening it's that good, but the fish looked fresh and BBQ smelled inviting.

Breakfast was included in the room price and there was a selection of different things to choose from. I used to swap between the toast & jam, eggie bread and pancake. Good portions and freshly made.

> Drinks
The cocktails are amazing! My wife spent most evenings sipping her way through the list... The cocktails are made with fresh ingredients in front of you. My wife recommends the Delhi Mojito or Berry-tini. Sumeena went to the trouble googling a cocktail which was off menu to give the recipe to the bar staff just because my wife fancied it. The two head bar staff made the best cocktails and were really friendly. They were artists when it came to the pineapple star or strawberry flower garnish.

> Rooms
Just what you want from a hotel: AC, tidy, hot water, and clean. The bed was extremely comfortable (just like my bed I left in London) and was a good size. My wife found a gecko in the room one night and the staff were quickly along to remove it. The AC was also cold which made the room a nice retreat when the blazing 30 degree heat gets too much. A nice touch was the hammock on the porch. We would chill here swinging in the sun while reading the lonely planet in the peace of the resort listening to the locals across the fence as they went about there business. It was also a good place to say hi to some familiar faces also staying at the resort as they strolled passed. Not such a good place when the cockerel would crow at 4am!!!

> Other
The pool is a nice size with plenty of sun beds around it so you can kick back and listen to the tunes being played at the bar. We had no trouble getting a sun bed and towels were provided at reception.

The WIFI was excellent. I was surprised how stable and fast it was and it was also free. I used it on a daily basis to call home using FaceTime or Skpye. There is no WIFI in the rooms, but it just meant I spent more time by the pool, at the bar / restaurante or the chill out space where you watched a film.

There was a projector set up where you could watch DVD's or the football. I caught a few of the Arsenal matches and watched two films. Good quality picture and nice to be able to catch a game from home as well.

Sanny and Sumeena the managers / owners are able to sort out travel and trips which saves a whole head ache. They organised my trip on a glass bottom boat, my Padi Diving course, flights and boat trip back to Lombok. When I compared the price I got with a local stall I was surprised how competitive Pesona were.

The only negative? I wanted a Pesona T-shirt and they don't make them! This gives me an excuse to go back to get one when they start selling them.

A classic saying relating to Gili Island is "the island got you" as travellers don't end up leaving the island. I actually believe Pesona Resort got me and will get all of those people who chose this hotel to stay at. A number of my friends are travelling to Gili and I have recommended Pesona Resort to them as I will continue to do to all those people I meet on my travels around S. E Asia.

Pesona Resort - an unavoidable pleasure if you are in this part of the world!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends