“So disappointed. Booked with Thomson.”

Aquis Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Agios Georgios
Bristol, United Kingdom
“So disappointed. Booked with Thomson.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We visited sandy beach in May 2014. I have waited to put this review on as I have been waiting to hear back from Thomson regarding our terrible stay. My husband and I decided to go in our first family holiday with our one year old son and we chose Aquis sandy beach in corfu as it appeared to fit all of our criteria. On arrival, our room was damp and smelled like it hadn't been ventilated all winter - by the end of the holiday we learnt that this was because there was no ventilation in the bathroom and that the shower enclosure leaked. On opening one of the bed side table drawers, I found two pills rolling around inside!! I was horrified at the thought that my son could have found these first being as inquisitive as he now is at the age of 1! It lead me to question just how well the room had been cleaned - under the beds were filthy and I hated having to let my son crawl around! I tried ringing the reception to ask to be moved but our phones weren't working! I found out that they had a problem with a number of phone lines and they had not been fixed! If I had wanted anything, I was told to walk to reception!

We had also requested a room with a bath, which we did not have. I again asked to be moved because of this reason but was told by reception that there were no other rooms available. I was instead given a dirty baby bath that I had to clean myself before using.

The worst part of it all was that one morning I lifted my son up from the floor to my bed. To my horror, a large metal bed spring was protruding from the mattress and cut through my sons pyjamas and leg! We had lots of tears and I was appalled this could happen! We reported this and I was apologised to by the customer liaison lady who said it would be dealt with whilst we were out. I was later informed thee were no new beds and that a blanket had been wrapped around our mattress! I can imagine that this is still the case and I hope nobody else has experienced the same injury because of it as it could have been much worse for my son. To apologise, they were going to leave something in the room. On returning, we found two pieces of fruit that had been taken from the all inclusive restaurant, wrapped in cling film, and placed on our table! I was bewildered how they thought that was any fit apology for my sons injury,

Additional problems included finding mouse dropping on our balcony each morning which room service simply brushed away - however I would not let my son toddle on the balcony during our whole stay, what a shame seeing as we had paid extra to get a sea side view! He also cut his hands with glass that had not been cleared up in the restaurant; the high hairs were always filthy and I had to ask for them to be cleaned before every use which was done with a dirty cloth.

We were incredibly disappointed with the food at the hotel, not up to standard and we ended up eating out on the second week. The restaurants down the road were lovely, clean and with really yummy food! What a shame the hotel couldn't do better!

There were three pools. The one closest to our room had dark brown plasticky boards around it. These got ridiculous hot in the day and you couldn't walk on them. Not at all suitable for children. The gaps tween the boards were dangerous (they later filled these with expanding foam!?) and by the steps there was a large pot hole which they had put a parasol into to stop you falling in! It's was completely ridiculous with children!!!

We did report every one of our concerns and the best we had was the orange and apple on the table and a few more visits by housekeeping! The best part of the holidays was the flights, which were on time and comfortable. Thomas Cook in particular was fantastic and we would readily fly with them again.

I am so upset by our holiday. We had been really looking forward to our first family holiday together and yet I wanted to leave after the first day. I am so disappointed. I have emailed Thomson three times now and have not heard anything back from them. I am devastated that we wasted our money on this horrific holiday!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
17 Thank FamilyB111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
West Midlands, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

May 2014, 7 nights all inclusive. Booked with THOMAS COOK... THE REP WAS NEVER THERE, ONE DAY WE WAITED 90 MINS FOR HIM TO TURN UP!!!! WHAT A JOKE, HE NEVER CAME. THEN ON THE WAY HOME HE WANTED US TO FILL IN THE QUESTIONAIRE STATING HOW GREAT HE WAS!! I visited with my husband and 2 children aged 6 & 12. Arrived about 2am, booked in was given a sandwich meal and fruit. The room was nice and clean. Cleaned every day + towel change. Bed linen changed 3 times per week. We did pay for the safe in our room didn't really cost very much. The beach is a few minutes walk from your room, depending on where you are staying. The furthest rooms were by the reception area, which is where ours was located about five minutes walk to the beach. You pay for 2 sunbeds and one umbrella on the beach not costing much. As you come out of the hotel and turn left, if you walk up the road there are some bars and shops along there approx. 5 mins walk. There is a shop on site, clothes shop and a jewellery shop. Prices much the same as the shops along by the beach.Located at the back entrance of the reception.
There is a young couple who offer a massage on the beach. OMG, FANTASTIC!!! Do try if you can, you will not be disappointed.
The bar at reception sells hotdogs for $1 euro if you miss breakfast and pancakes. Food in this hotel was good. Catered for everyone and especially the children. Always plenty to eat and drink, we were all inclusive and felt it was a good deal. There is a Greek restaurant just as you come out of the hotel and head towards the beach on the right.
You do not get any Wi-Fi reception here, only in the main restaurant or the reception area, which is a bit of a let down. There is also a spa and you receive free beach towels twice a week. if changed any more, you will get charged. This is mainly a family resort, not much to do for couples unless you enjoy sitting by the beach or pool. You can hire a bike and kids cart is available. There is a bus to Corfu, but you are there a good few hours before you can get bus back. Taxi is about $60 euros one way. If you want to go on day trips take extra cash as they are not cheap. Good entertainment for kids at night, disco etc. and volley ball and other activities during the week. Board by restaurant which shows you what's on.
Transfer back is displayed on the rep board in the spa area, turn left by reception. There is a luggage room in reception, however not locked, no one seemed to have any issues though.
The staff were really nice and friendly Giorgio who worked the main restaurant was always very helpful as were the other staff.
3 main pools and 3 smaller ones. Very Clean and tidy. Enough room for every one. The sunbeds by the pool with the flumes etc were reserved early by guests however the other pools has plenty of space and beds throughout the day.
All in all a good break, I would go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms by reception are quieter, garden view. However you get no sun on the balcony at all. Rooms b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Kate B
Aquis_Quality_team, Manager at Aquis Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
“Dear Guest
We are very pleased to read that you had a positive holiday experience while staying at Aquis Sandy Beach Resort and even more so that you took the time to share it with TripAdvisor’s readers. We pay attention to all comments and we always try to meet our guests’ expectations”
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Just got back from a week here and was very pleasantly surprised after reading all the dreadful reviews on here. No problem with the rooms at all. Cleaned daily with fresh towels and sheets. Why do people go on holiday to take photos of limescale on bathroom taps and ants !! The main restaurant has plenty of seating indoors and out. The smaller restaurant has the same.We always found something nice and tasty to eat at every meal time and always found a table straight away.. Do people who complain about the food have 5-6 choices at home every meal time? No, I don't think so. You're on holiday, try something different. Plastic cups for drinks are a safety issue. Every A/I that we've been to use them. No problem with them at all. Waited no longer than 10 minutes to get a drink, I wait longer sometimes in my local on a Saturday night!! 3 big pools to choose from and the beach on your doorstep. People are saying it's a huge complex. It's not. You can walk from the beach to reception in about 5-10 minutes depending on the heat. Most people are used to getting a lift down in a hotel as everything is in one building. Read the holiday brochures and reviews properly before you book, then you won't be surprised. Loads to do during the day and decent entertainment every night. The beach is sandy and ideal for small kids. Yes you pay for the beach chairs but the beach isn't owned by the hotel. Plenty of beds and umbrellas around the 3 pools with no charge. Bike hire is available on site and in the evening little electric kiddie cars can be hired as well. We had a lovely relaxing time with great weather, plenty of drinks and good food. I would defiantly go back just as long as things stay as they are. Don't be put off by the negative comments, give it a go and see for yourself. I was on the verge of changing our booking,I'm so glad I never

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Rangerbird
“Dear Guest
We are very happy to read that you had a positive holiday experience while staying at Aquis Sandy Beach Resort and even more so that you took the time to share it with TripAdvisor’s readers”
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed with my husband in this resort for two weeks mid June, and although this is mainly aimed at families, I feel with just a little effort couples could be accommodated adequately by allocating a smaller block or two for adults only. Apart from that my Husband and I really enjoyed our stay, there is a very very slow pace of life, limited things to do, although boat trips and beach activities are available, and for families the animation team are great, some of the night time entertainment was also good for adults. We did not spend a great deal of time in the main restaurant, we found this too canteen like, but brilliant for variety with seating in and outside depending on your requirements, The Olive Tree restaurant had less variety but was more taylored for adults, although not strictly adults only. Some people obvioulsly felt that there should have been more food on offer throughout the day, but snack time is snack time and this will reduce variety. Overall my suggestion would be to give guest better quality plastic glasses for their drinks and ask them to refill them, Apart from that there is little that can be done for the ignorance of other holiday makers who do not want to queue or even thank the serving staff. This is a hot spot - fantastically located for a beach based holiday, with a daily bus into Corfu town which is about an hour away. For what we paid for our holiday we could not have received the same at any of the resorts in the UK, this for me is a place where I believed I got more than my monies worth. The staff are friendly and they are listening to their holidaymakers, they want to improve and provide the best service they can. Dead bugs, yes but that is because holidaymakers feel the need to squash them, ants, flying things, yep, that is what the country has to offer, but so does the UK, we are just more used to ours than theirs. Beds, well there is nothing like your own bed is there! Food, great, no issues, just a request that there is more of a Greek option, and the A La Carte, well, you just have to try it. We don't go on holiday to lay on the beach, so if you like to wander you can walk for miles and find the local villages and see the sights. If there was one thing I would change, it would be the return journey to the airport, maybe the tour operators can provide a mini bus for people who have not holidayed in Kavos.
Couples will find suitable places away from families,and the place is fine, just remember we can all have champagne tastes, but if all you have is lemonade money to pay for your holiday then this resort will find the best fiz it can to make your holiday enjoyable, and if you do have any issues, just let them know, they will sort it out for you.

Room Tip: Pay for an upgrade if you want to be in the best rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Lowedal
Aquis_Quality_team, Quality Team at Aquis Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your positive feedback. We pay attention to all comments and we always try to meet our guests’ expectations.
Brig, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I was in this hotel with my husband and our 8 year old daughter the 2 first weeks of july 2014. The hotel is very big and very well positioned, the beach is wonderful and very clean. There are 3 different pools, one of them with waterslides and other activities. Allthough the lots of guests, you always find a place to lay near the pool. The restaurant is not bad at all, the food is not bad, nothing special, the personal is nice, but most of the times the glasses and the cups are not really clean. The rooms are very dirty, the clean personal dont do their job, our room was cleaned every day, but the floor not, and thy didnt change the towels, the shower was cleaned just each 3 or 4 days, evendough we were 3 persons taking shower every day. The animals that we killed in th floor we left there, and the day after were still there. Really disgusting. A special mention to the animation team, very, very nice, active, lots of things to to for adults and children, weve enjoyed everthing done with them and our daughter too. The shows in the night were wonderfull. Just because of the cleaness i cant recomend this hotel. I am not comming back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank gianna3928
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We are 2 families with children, paying a lot of money for a 4 star hotel/vacation. We arrived at 16.00 hours in the hotel and we received 2 rooms, which were recently flooded, in which was smelling like hell, poorly repainted, with a bathroom where the water was licking when flushing the toilet, etc. It was impossible to stay with a 6 years old child in this room. Illness was guaranteed.
Food was poor quality and almost the same for 10 days we stayed at least the breakfast. Internet was working extremely bad or at all. If you want to go on the beach you have to pay 6 euro for 2 sunbeds and an umbrella. ETC. As I said never again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank DanCo783
Aquis_Quality_team, Guest Relations Manager at Aquis Sandy Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
We are very sorry that we did not achieve to offer you the holiday experience that you wished for, we hope that you raised the issues you mention in your review with the Guest Relations Department staff directly and I trust that they have been able to offer you an explanation and a solution while in resort. We would like to thank you for your sincere feedback and the opportunity you give us to further improve the service we offer to our valuable customers
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I Stayed with my Sister and a friend for a short break. Its a very large hotel with lots of 2 storey blocks ours had no lift so if you have walking difficulties or childs buggy ask for ground floor rooms, if you have children that like activities and water slides into the pool then request blocks 1-8, the quieter pool area was close to blocks A-C, and beach and another pool is closest to blocks 14-19 (16 and 19 being the closest to the beach). The room was a good size had a fridge and not bad hair dryer also a DVD player if you need it, when we arrived at ours the Air con wasn't working and toilet seat broken after a few reminder phone calls the A/C was fixed and the toilet seat was replaced, it was cleaned and linen replaced daily. We were All Inclusive and the food was quite good although fairly samey samey so we did eat out on occasions for variety our favorite nearby restaurant being the Panorama V nice.
The drinks were quite good too really enjoyed the Cherry blossom cocktails by the pool and Kostas was very nice. Towels are provided by the hotel for use by the pool/beach. you can go for little walks along the beach front to restaurants and bars in one direction or quieter walks the other way. All in all an enjoyable few days.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Aeolos Beach Resort
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel
Corfu Holiday Palace

Been to Aquis Sandy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!