“Aquis Sandy Beach - Perfect”

Aquis Sandy Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Agios Georgios
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Aquis Sandy Beach - Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

We travelled on the 27th with EasyJet and Arrived home on the 6th Sept.
We booked our accomodation and flights with Go Travel, part of the CO-OP travel group. This was a lot cheaper than booking seperately.
We also booked our taxi online via a bar in St Georges (45 euro).
When we arrived our driver was waiting and it took 25 mins to hotel.
When we arrived at Sandy Beach 11.40am we were greeted by the staff in reception. An english Lady named Dawn was great and really helpful throughout our stay. (Thanks Dawn).
Our bags were taken to our room and 20mins later we were in the Pool and then off to our first taste of the All Inclusive lunch. The people who arrived on our flight and were booked into a coach transfer did not arrive till sometime later!!!!
The food was great with a huge amount of choice and specials every day. The service by all the staff throughout the resort was very good indeed.
The pools were very good and safe.
Our room was great with 2 bedrooms and a seperate lounge. The rooms were cleaned daily.
The beach is lovely but you have to pay for sunbeds (they are run by a seperate company). You can easily walk back to the beach bar and take drinks back to the beach.
I would recommend this hotel and felt it was great value especially as local food and drinks are not cheap in the town and with 2 adults and children aged 15 and 9 it could have been very expensive - would always go all inclusive.
Will be trying the Aquis complex in Kos next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank 999Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

When reading others’ reviews on Trip Advisor, I try to remember two things:

1) you can't get a Rolls Royce for the price of a Skoda. If you want 5-star luxury, pay for it.
2) some things are just different abroad. Call it cultural difference.

I sometimes find it frustrating that reviewers’ expectations far exceed the price they have paid, or that criticism borders on xenophobia. It is important to look at reviews with a reasonable sense of perspective.

With this in mind, Aquis Sandy Beach far exceeded my expectations and I would heartily recommend it.

By reading a number of reviews, you will start to build an accurate picture of Aquis Sandy Beach. I will describe my experiences for those who can be bothered to read on! The hotel is extremely clean, well maintained and the staff are excellent. I mean really excellent. It seems they actually enjoy making guests feel at home. The beach the hotel sits on is by far the best beach we saw in Corfu – and we saw a few travelling around the island. It was even used as a location in the Bond film ‘For Your Eyes Only’. I didn’t find the hotel to be as large as some suggest.

The service at Aquis Sandy Beach is what sets it apart. When we arrived at the hotel on the transfer coach, we were greeted on the steps which was met with gasps (presumably of jealousy) from those on board. Check in was efficient, and we were made a drink and given a sandwich before heading to the bar for a welcome drink or two. When we were ready, and along with our cases, we were driven to the room on a golf buggy. On check out, we left our cases in the room, which were collected and were waiting for us in reception whilst we showered in the courtesy room.

All the staff at the hotel were friendly and 3 members of staff really stood out: Dawn, the hotel’s PR (and seemingly part-time receptionist!) was so friendly, nice and efficient. She remembered our names and made my celebration even more special. Niko (Nikodimos), the king of the lobby bar, was witty, entertaining and on the ball. The cocktails and drinks he serves are superior to other bars, so don’t forget a visit here during your stay. Lastly, is Angelos, the host of the Terrace restaurant who will always strive to say hello, shake your hand and find you the “very best” table. I single these three out, but actually all the staff are fantastic. Many of them are Polish, and keep smiling despite working in extreme heat, late at night and plagued with wasps (the spirits bottles attract them).

Like many rooms abroad, the room did have single beds, and though a double bed is preferred, we are quite used to shuffling two beds together. The furniture is perhaps a little tired, and the shower is a handheld shower which is not ideal. However the air con is fantastic (and this is vital in the heat), and the room is clean and well maintained. We were the nearest room to the sea and felt this location was perfect. The occasional ant did enter under the skirting board, so if this is an issue, perhaps request a room not on the ground floor. As the tap water in Corfu is not drinkable, it was necessary to by several bottles of water from the on-site supermarket and the room had a fridge to put them in.

The was standard all-inclusive fare, though was of a high standard and always fresh. My own self-restraint was perhaps an issue, as I would eat the most random combinations of food on the same plate. It is worth queuing for the terrace, though even when the queue was seemingly 10 deep, I never had to wait more than 5 minutes. There are wasps, though I was not aware of a single guest being stung in the time I was there. The best advice is to ignore them.

The town is just a five-minute walk from the resort, and has numerous bars, shops and a place to hire quads/bikes if necessary. The shops are cheaper too, for example, a lilo, which cost nearly 8€ in the on-site supermarket, was available for 4€.

There are two pools, and it seems reading others’ reviews that opinion is divided on which is the best. We used the one nearest the beach (not the ‘noisy’ one) only due to the fact that it was nearer our room. We never had to reserve sun loungers as there are plenty to go around, and the hotel even provides pool towels so if you’re struggling for suitcase space, leave the towels at home.

The biggest disappointment is the entertainment. I had read previous reviews warning of this and perhaps had decided that either a) entertainment was not important to me, or b) that I had seen entertainment in a number of hotels and that I expected it to be ropey. Words cannot describe how poor the entertainment actually is. We saw 3 offerings: Folklore Dance, Lotto Dance, and Comedy. Performances we saw were cringingly terrible; so much so that during the comedy, the entire audience was transfixed with a feeling of awkwardness halfway between disbelief and embarrassment. The crying shame is that the Animation team is quite large and the Amphitheatre is an excellent venue (we spent much time discussing how good it would be for a gig/DJ set). The tried-and-tested quizzes, discos and other favourites seem to have been overlooked for devised pieces that would make a primary school nativity play look like an Olivier award-winning production.

If you are thinking of going to Corfu, I strongly suggest coming prepared to battle with mosquitos. My partner fell victim to a particularly vicious attack and received 42 bites over the legs on the first night. This necessitated a trip to a pharmacy and the purchase of anti-histamines and creams. I (normally the one to get bitten) escaped the worst, receiving only 2. It is worth coming armed with repellent, electric plug-ins, and anti-histamines just in case.

The Jet Skis available for hire are expensive, though you can be pulled around by a speedboat on various kinds of inflatables or try paragliding for much less. If I could recommend one thing to do, go to Ammos, a 24-hour beach bar about 5 mins along the beach from the hotel when the sun sets. (Out of the hotel, turn right, keep going). It has cushions and hammocks, plays ‘chilled Ibiza’ style music and sells awesome cocktails. Great place to be at sundown.

We hired a car for the day and really glad we did. We toured the coastline of the entire island including a visit to paleokastritsa (well worth visiting), Corfu town, the Achillean Palace and a drive up Mount Pantokrator, which was ‘exciting’ to say the least.

Just a word on Lord Travel. They organised our transfer from the hotel, and would not provide details of the return until we attended a talk at the TV room the following day. The talk balanced some useful information about the island with a sales pitch of their trips and car hire. The talk is unnecessary – reception will hold details of the return transfer the day before travel so don't feel obliged to go. We booked the Corfu by night tour, and despite arriving 10 mins before departure as advised, the coach was full and left without us. We then had to wait nearly 30 mins for another coach, which then made several other pickups. I felt short-changed, though Corfu town is lovely. Our experience is that Lord travel trips are over-subscribed and badly coordinated, and would suggest seeking alternatives, if they exist.

All in all, this is a fantastic hotel on a fantastic beach on a fantastic island. I would strongly recommend it. I considered a number of hotels (using Tripadvisor) before booking, and having seen many of them on the coach transfer am glad we chose Aquis Sandy Beach. I would certainly chose another Aquis hotel in future.

10 Thank rickfick
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stopped here for 11 nights and we had an example of fantastic customer service which I will get to shortly.

First the bad news - the room we had badly needed updating. It was a great size as we had a family room with another room with two single beds in it but the furniture is very poor with scratch marks or chips on tables and the wardrobe had the varnish coming off it. There was a mark on the wall which looked like a squashed insect as well as the ceiling and the curtains had definately seen better days. The TV was about a 17" with it being a traditional 4:3 rather than a wide screen one and the supplied remote was a very basic "one 4 all" type. The bathroom was acceptable but the lack of care can be seen by the fact that when they had painted the ceiling they also put a fair bit on the wall as well where it meets the ceiling!! The shower is unacceptable for this type of hotel where it is fixed to the wall with no adjustment whatsoever - I do not mind this at the Fortuna Boat Hotel in Budapest but for a four star hotel in Greece this is simply not good enough.

Good news - the room was big as mentioned above and was kept clean by the maids. We were in block 13 above the restaurant but right near the pool so I was concerned that we would hear a lot of noise from the restaurant but my fears were not realised. There are two pools with the more family orientated one near reception where the animation team are situated, and the other one near the beach. The beach pool is a little quieter than the other one but there is still music from the bar. There seemed to be plenty of sunbeds available although the usual "towel reservation" is done - we noted that there were still some beds available at 11 a.m. at the beach pool where we went, but on the odd occasion that we wandered up the other part of the hotel there always seemed to some available at the other pool which did not seem as popular as the beach one.

The food is generally good - yes it can be a bit samey but it is large hotel catering for a diverse range of people/children so I thought they did a good job overall. If I wanted to be picky then the deserts are generally not to my taste but as this is a personal opinion I don't think it should cloud the issue that there is a wide choice of food which is well cooked. The all inclusive wine was perfectly acceptable - it must have been as the wife drank it and she can be very picky over her wine! The outside seating of the restaurant is the jewel in the crown of the hotel and operates on a queueing system but we did not have to wait too long before being seated. The waiters/waitresses are generally excellent and should be proud of themselves - they did a very good job and were very helpful.

The sea and the beach is apparently one of the best in Corfu and the beach is sandy with the sea being clear, although there are some large rocks/stones on the sea for about 10 - 12 feet when you get in which you have to navigate through - I found it best to walk a couple of minutes up the beach to the Jet Ski tent area where this was not a problem. Not a lot of snorkelling to be had here although if you head to the left of where the Kostas boat is anchored there is something to be around there.

Another plus point of the hotel is the all inclusive system where the ice cream is available all day - great for the kids. The beer is ok, the wine is mentioned above, and during our last few days here the vodka was Smirnoff rather than the cheaper option - a bonus although the hotel one was not too bad; the whisky however is just about acceptable (but only just). One bad point is that you have to ask for water - why in heaven's name don't they operate the system at the Gordios hotel (and the Egypt hotel I stayed at last year) where still water is on tap whenever you want it? Surely the bar staff's time would be better utilised rather than dishing out water?

The entertainment at night is bit hit and miss but then as it is generally done by the animation team I think to criticise them is a bit like taking a bag of sweets off a poorly child and then giving it a slap for good measure - I thought they tried very hard to entertain and did their best although some of it was just not to my tastes. Still, I thought they generally did a good job and should not be criticised - if I wanted Robbie Williams I should have paid more!

Lastly to fantastic customer service - my wife had a cold sore coming and we went to reception so see where the nearest chemist was. Dawn told us it was about 40 minutes walk but then offered to collect some cream for my wife as she went past the village, so she left her house a bit early in the morning to collect some for us when the chemist was open, paid for it, and then brought it to the hotel for us to pick up the next morning. This is the best example of customer service I have had for a long time. Dawn should be very proud of herself and the hotel should be aware that they have someone who not only knows what customer service is but goes above and beyond the call of duty.

So would I go back? I think not as this is not a hotel for us. It is not bad and I would not rate it as average but then I don't think it is very good either. I would mark it as 3 1/2 if I could but as I cannot then it has to be a 4 as the staff are very good, the hotel is generally good with decent facilities and is very good for families - it is just us that prefers something slightly different and if I was booking for a couple then I would rather stop at the Aquis Gordios.

2 Thank peterrg
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

I am writing this on behalf of a family member who recently stayed at Aquis Sandy Beach Resort
On arriving at the hotel late I was received by the most warmest of welcomes.Fotis is a gentleman and my first impression of the reception was a professional one. A good nights sleep and up early I wonder around the complex, large, flat and clean. The dining room is placed in the center and I must say at first it is overwhelming to think you will get personal service. How wrong I was! From the top to the bottom 5*. Mr Christos PARAKALO CHARMING manager (a credit to his position) is the welcoming gentleman at the terrece. Waiters Yiannis,Petros and Angelos quick,attentive and always welcoming. Lobos stood out for me also for a young boy very good at his position, well done! It didn't stop there though. The barmen also fabulous especially on the big entertainment nights. Quick as anything and remembering peoples orders making you sit and watch in astonishment! Jocyne in the little towel kiosk what a beautiful girl and always so polite. My room was of great size for little old me but I believe I had been upgraded and my goodness what a spacious and apartment it was. Cleaned daily by the maids (lovely ladies) I must say a personnel thank you to Mrs Spirella Linardou for giving me such a nice quiet room. The pools (2) are well maintained although it would be good to see more steps please Aquis. Beach goes on forever and is golden sand soft and clean. I have to say that the one thing that sticks in my mind are the girls on Reception. Sandy's best! whatever you needed they sorted it as quickly as you asked. Maria bouncing from one language to the next Eleni (troy) with her lovely smile Georgia and Vicky, beautiful Betty, gadget man Bogdan and Litsa my favourite ( Cleopatra). Dawn of course with her wit and knowledge of the island ( I believe she is more Greek now than Mancunian) make the best team I have come across and I wish them all the very best and hope to be back next year with my family.
Great price,great hotel,great location but more so FABULOUS STAFF. AQUIS Sandy Beach Simply wonderful !

Room Tip: Anything you need go to reception immediately !
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ann d
london england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Booked with Youtravel, from 5th -15th September, myself and my 21 year old daughter. Arrived on the 10pm Easyjet flight from Gatwick, we had prebooked the transfers with Lord Travel. We had to wait for approx an hour and half at the airport before the coach got going (this was to wait for another later flight from Manchester) - finally left the airport where it soon became apparant that the driver had no clue where he was going, driving us almost all the way to Kavos (after much turning around as he had gone the wrong way). The driver failed to announce which hotels we were at, and when asked to do so was quite rude and dismissive. Finally, we arrived at The Aquis Sandy Beach at about 1.30am. There was only one member of staff at reception dealing with about 3 coach loads of arrivals, so check in was very long and tiresome (although he was doing his very best) - we were given a ham and cheese sandwich and drinks were available at reception. As a non meat eater, I went to bed hungry, but was advised later that i could have asked for a veggie option (However, this one member of staff checking us all in was so inundated I really didnt feel I could bother him).

Our room was situated above the restaurant - this was not a problem - the room was spacious and clean. the furniture was a bit tired, but ok, good air con. The next morning on closer inspection, we realised that the shower was hand held and not suitable to stand under due to a hook very low down on the wall. I complained to reception, and they agreed to change our room within an hour. full marks for customer services. We moved to a ground floor room which overlooked some unkept shrubs and a small service road, but again, the room was adequate and clean.

As previously stated, I am a non meat eater, and on the whole the food choices were good. it is rather disappointing however, that dishes which could have been suitable for both meat eaters and non meat eaters seemed to always have peices of ham in them (eg. mushroom soup, some 'Vegetable' pasta dishes etc). That said, you dont go hungry, although the food did become a bit repetitive after a while. There is an open air terrace which would have been quite pleasant if it were not for the constant supply of wasps buzzing around you. We chose to eat inside because of this. All meals are served in the central dining room, and it does become quite busy and chaotic at peak times. The dining room staff are polite and efficient, cleaning tables and serving drinks.

The pools were clean, and the gardens and public areas were well kept and lovely. As stated in previous reviews, the pool bars are busy but there is a quick turnover. The evening entertainment was quite poor, although the animation team try their best. The beach pool bar gets busy of an evening as it overlooks the beach and you can see the sunset from there.

We spent most days on the beach which is clean with lovely clear warm sea. You can get a massage whilst on the beach (Chinese man and woman) which I totally recommend. Pure relaxation for 20 Euros! - It is also worth going to down to the beach to watch the sea-faring alsation who belongs to the speed boat guy - He is one amazing dog!.

We did 2 excursions - Corfu town evening shopping (many fake bargains to be had) and the paxos boat trip which was a fantastic day out, you could be forgiven for thinking you had landed on a carribean island at anti paxos.

I can also recommend the 'Elvis' night which is Thursdays and Sundays in one of the bars just outside of the hotel. Brilliant night out! - and a wonderful setting for some good food beforehand (overlooking the beach, dinner and sunset!)

For words of wisdom i would say do not go to this hotel without plenty of mozzie repellent - we got eaten alive despite covering ourselves in repellent every night, we even went so far as to buy citronella candles for our room which made little difference. Also, if you have any kind of aversion to WASPS, dont go there. Not sure i have ever seen so many wasps in one place, especially at the pool bars.

Because of the tired furniture in the rooms, the inadequate showers in many rooms, the bath towels which are only slightly bigger than hand towels and not very good quality, the repetitive food choices and poor entertainment, i dont think this is a 4 star hotel - i would say more like a 3 star plus - however, all in all, it is good value for money and we did have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 4muskateers
Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

Just returned from one week vacation in Sandy Beach.
We really enjoyed the week and would warmly recommend the resort. We travelled with one small child and granny.

The travel agency had screwed our two rooms which were located in the totally opposite ends of huge resort, even thought we requested the rooms besides each other. However, the hotel stuff were really helpfull and organized a two room suite for us. That ended up as a perfect solution.

The resort itself seems to be in a good condition and very clean. The beach is perfect and close to the rooms. We only spend time around the child pool area and find that also good. Area has couple of nice pool bars which serve good drinks including cocktails.

The village of agios georgious (just in reach of a walk) has also nice bars and restaurants worth a visit, when you start to be fed up with the buffet food, which is in general good, but boring in the long run.

We also rented a car from the agency located in the hotel reception. One day cost around 50e and the cars are rather new. We drew to Corfu and spend a nice shopping day there in the old parts of town.

I would have graded the visit with five stars, but there was couple of small things that could be improved.

-Kids pool is too deep for smallest kids. At least the other end could be shallower.
-Ala Carte restaurant was a small disappointment. It basically just serves the buffet food to table...
-The WiFi is unreachable in many places, including our room, and when available it is awfully slow.
-And the entertainment. Aargh! Ok, I understand that it is not for everybody, but why on earth it needs to be so loud? Just drop down the volume a bit please.

Big thanks for the hotel staff for making our visit enjoyable.

Room Tip: Suites near the children pool are perfect for families.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tiuku_Finland
South Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2011

We have just returned from 10 days at the Aquis Sandy Beach Resort, Corfu, staying from the 4th –14th Sept, and we had a wonderful holiday.
Initially we were not happy with out room as it was over the restaurant and I was concerned about the extra heat and the noise this would create, so we returned to reception to ask if anything could be done about this. We had also wanted a double bed, and the original room had twins. The reception staff could not have been more helpful, and they moved us to another room without a problem.
The room was spacious and had everything we needed in it and was exactly what you would expect from a 4 star Greek hotel. The bed was large and comfortable, the wardrobe had hangars, there was a good sized dressing table, with a TV and DVD player on it, a small table and chairs and air conditioning. Obviously, by that time in the season the furniture had suffered a little wear and tear, but it was clean. The bathroom had both shower and bath, and was big enough for comfort, although the shower wall attachment was at chest height, but that was not a problem, as during my morning shower I did not want to wash my hair anyway. The view from the balcony was of bamboos, palms and flowers, and a little used service road, so we were not overlooked, and it was very quiet.

The food was excellent, with a good mix of hot and cold to suit most tastes, and I would defy anyone not find a decent meal to enjoy at each service. It is self service, and at times it was very busy, but even when we ate near the end of service, the food was still hot and looked fresh, although sometimes a few things may have run out.

Our preference was to dine on the terrace, as this was much cooler than in the restaurant itself, and this is the area that you sometimes have to queue for, but to be honest the turnaround was pretty quick, and I do not think that we waited more than 5 or 10 minutes at the most, and the Maitre D’s who seated us were always friendly and chatty while we waited. Despite the queuing and the quick turnaround, we were never made to feel rushed, and the staff were really good ensuring that once we were seated our drinks order was taken quickly, although a lot of people chose to help themselves rather than wait to be served.

The pool areas were both very good, my preference was the “noisy” pool opposed to the quiet one nearer the beach, but both areas were clean, and where there had been a little wear and tear on the tiles, care had been taken to ensure that these areas were safe for everyone. The “noisy” pool was a lot more fun, and this was also where the exercise classes took place, and boy, did the animator who took the class know her stuff! I only did the aqua classes, but they were quite enough, and made me feel a little less guilty about all the food and drink I was putting away!
I did also venture to the gym, which was well air conditioned and had enough machines to keep me happy. My one issue is that it opens at 9am, and my personal preference would have been to make use of it before breakfast, then shower and eat, so I would have preferred it to open earlier.

All the bars were lively, and busy, but rarely did you have to queue for long, and the staff were all very friendly and efficient. The beach bar was nice in the evening for the breeze, the “noisy” pool bar was our preferred spot for a drink during the day. Due to their closeness to the pools, both use plastic glasses only, so pre and post dinner our preferred spot was the Andromeda bar in reception, run by the wonderful Nico who makes some of the best creamy cocktails I have ever known, and was also wonderful entertainment. There was also organised evening entertainment, some of these were better than others, with live music brought in, plus the animators doing their best to put musical shows together, as well as looking after events during the day, but none of this was forced on us, and it was our choice to avoid most of it.

We were also able to hire a quad bile nearby and see a little more of that end of Corfu, which, with the exception of Kavos, is really pretty.

All in all our stay was really good. All the staff were friendly and helpful, and the atmosphere of the hotel is really good because it is a mixture of nationalities, both working and staying there.

This was our second stay at an Aquis, our first being Crete, and will continue to recommend the group. In our opinion they are a company who have made a huge and beneficial impact on "All Inclusive" holidays.

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms overlook swiming pool areas and bars.
2 Thank DougieFM
Aeolos Beach Resort
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel
Corfu Holiday Palace

Been to Aquis Sandy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!