“Awful”
Review of El Corsario

El Corsario
Ranked #45 of 52 Hotels in Ibiza Town
Reviewed June 10, 2011

One should always trust reviews on tripadvisor ... Well, in spite of what I had read I booked a room at this so called hotel. It has nothing of a hotel and even less of a boutique hotel (it declares itself to be a boutique hotel!). The service is inexistent and when you do succeed in speaking to someone, it is far from being professional and customer oriented. Moreover, it is expensive for what it is (no amenities, I finished my shower with cold water, dirty towel ...). Honestly, avoid it, there are a lot of hotels in Ibiza much nicear and cheaper than this one. Yes, because we spent only one night there and then we moved.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank claudia_2767

Reviewed August 20, 2009

After reading the reviews here, I reluctantly booked a room at El Corsario for a one-night stay in Ibiza. I called the hotel and spoke with a woman who curtly stated she did not speak English, so we continued our conversation in French, at which point she warmed up a bit. She took my credit card number (asking me to repeat it several times) and said that she would call me back to confirm the reservation the next day. I did not hear back from her (but my credit card did get charged). I called her several days later, and she said the reservation was all set.

We arrived on the ferry and walked up the Dalt Vila to the hotel. The reception was located several flights up. As I entered the reception area, I was overcome by two things, the overwhelming reek of smoke and the breathtaking view from the dining area. There was a surly-looking man (the apparent chain-smoker), and a woman (the same one I had spoken to on the phone), who immediately asked me for payment. When I stated that she had already taken my credit card number, she said that the owner specifically noted that we had not yet paid for the reservation. My husband brought up the credit card statement on his iPhone, showing her the charge. She still insisted that we had not paid, so, not wanting to upset her, we gave her the card number again (the double charge was later removed by our credit card company). She showed us to our room (#10), which was located another 3 flights up, down a hallway of rooms. She gave us keys to the front door and went on her way.

The cramped room, in my husband's words, was decorated in a "garage-sale style". Things were falling apart in the bathroom, the room smelled not so fresh, and the walls were so tissue-paper thin we could hear our neighbors like they were breathing on us. The only good thing about the room was the view, straight down to the harbor and the night lights of Ibiza.

The location of the hotel was good, a quick walk down the hill, across the drawbridge, and into town. We enjoyed our one evening in Ibiza and checked out the next day. Breakfast was not included, not that I could have eaten in the smoke-infested dining/reception area. The woman was effusively nice to us as we left. They called a cab for us and the man took us down to meet the taxi.

Unfortunately, we were disappointed with our stay, but the hotel has great potential. The building itself and the common areas are quite nice, but the shabby condition of the rooms, the oppressive smell of smoke, and the questionable level of professionalism brought it down. With a better staff and updated rooms, it could be a wonderful place, but as it is, I would not return.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tsktsk
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I feel compelled to write this review to warn others against the uncomfortable vibe I received here after 2 or 3 days. The location is truly stunning and ideal for Ibiza town and the walk to the harbour and back was steep and good for keeping fit, HOWEVER afer the first couple of days I started to feel isolated and a strange, uncomfortable vibe coming from the staff. I can honestly say that it is like nothing else I have ever experienced. All I can say is it was very strange. Trying to pinpoint what it was is difficult however we definitely began to feel we were being watched. One particular member of staff seemed stressed and anxious most of the time and with it came a feeling of aggressive outbursts in their communication with the guests. Cats were allowed to walk on the dining tables and this was an irritation at mealtimes. When I tried to discourage the cats from jumping onto the tables when we had food, the response from the staff was negative. The food was abysmal and expensive. Looking back I felt distinctly uneasy by the end of my stay and was glad to be leaving.

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank IgglePiggle_8
Reviewed August 1, 2007

we have been to Ibiza a few times and we like staying in the Dalt Villa, You can walk everywhere in ibiza town. The El cosario is about a 5-8 min walk up the hill in the old city. I was concerned about it being too hot because there is no ac but it was fine.
the hotel has alot of character. They have fans and the hotel is high enough on the hill you get a breeze. The staff and owner were very nice and took good care of the place. (very clean) I regret that we did not eat at the resturant. It has an excellent view of the city. The hotel is just far enough from the action that you dont hear the noise late at night. I would stay there again. note: parking a rental car would be a hassle. we had a scooter which i prefer anyway and you may want to make arrangements to get a ride to airport. taxi's in august can be unreliable.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 17, 2007

The first few days of our stay went pleasantly enough, with the receptionist being friendly and helpful for the first few days . However some problems-notably, failure to clean our room-began to arise. We came in late from clubbing one night and from then on were greeted by the receptionist with very curt hellos rather than the friendliness of old. When the time came to pay the bill some additions had been made-in particular to the minibar bill-which were incorrect. When we explained this to the receptionist she flew into a rage saying we were tramps who could not be expected to remember what we had had as we stayed out so late and were probably drunk. The rest of the staff stood around and backed her up as she abused us. I have never been treated like this in my life. When the maid admitted that she had not cleaned our room so the minibar could not have been replaced for the last two days for which we had been charged, she refused to apologise. Hospitality? If you want to stay with a diapproving and abusive aunt then this is the place for you.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank Nicole1London
A TripAdvisor Member
Europe
Reviewed June 13, 2006

I staied here in July 2005. The hotel and the rooms are amazing, very nice ancient fornitures. The staff is very nice and helpful. The owner is a very nice eclectic woman, and the other staff is marok origin, but very friendly and nice.
Many cats around the garden, and the breakfast-dinner terrace is amazing with a breathless view on the harbour.
The rooms are eclectics with old fornitures. My room was is a low floor, but with a nice view on the harbour. The bathroom was not new, with old and tired fornitures, but enough clean.
If you are looking for a modern hotel, forgive that place. This is a romantic place with a traditional paint of historical spain.
One advise: do not make breakfast, dinner and lunch there, because it is expensive and not so good. Make dinner and breakfast outside, on the downtown. Good to sleep and very close to every bar, place and close to the Calle della Virgen, heart of Ibiza rainbow nightlife. Maybe too much expensive. Price as 5 stars hotel, but in real it is a 3 stars. But this is Ibiza, and you must have a very full pocket!

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2006

If you are looking for your “run of the mill” Hilton esq. hotel with all the amenities then perhaps El Corsario isn’t for you. But if you want a beautiful, unique, and truly magical hotel, that really captures the feel of Ibiza, then I highly recommend you book a room at this place. I stayed four 4 days in August 05 and it was perhaps the best vacation I ever had. Also I really wasn’t too hot without the AC, the breeze from our window plus a fan was fine (and this is coming from an American). I recommend the little sweet with the garden.

• Stayed: August 2005