“Spacious rooms, marvelous sea views, but a little far from town center”

Aparthotel Playasol Jabeque Soul
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Ibiza Town
Reviewed August 1, 2009

We picked this apart-hotel because it has the kitchenette facilities which would allow us to make some meals on our own. From our experience, eating the usual slop on a half-board package deal or out at restaurants every day can get tiring. The kitchenette was basic, but sufficient. We did take our own espresso coffee maker, so not sure how the one provided (no machine, just the coffee pot) would work. The kitchenette equipment was fine for making breakfasts, light lunches and salads.
We made the reservation directly through the Grupo Playa Sol website, but for some reason it only recorded 1 adult on the reservation. Despite two phone calls and email confirmations to correct it to 2 adults, the hotel still had it wrong when we checked in. Another surprise was that we had to pre-pay the entire stay at check-in, a bit uncommon, but there was no other choice.
The apartment (room 407, top floor) was very spacious - living room with coffee table, sofa/sofabed, dining table and 4 chairs, tv, in the hallway a huge double closet, a big bathroom with lots of counter space and a nice sized bedroom with 2 single beds pushed together, nightstands and a desk and chair. The kitchenette is hidden behind doors in the living room, which is nice.
The best part of the room was the spectacular view of the sea and the spacious terrace. We were overlooking one of the pools - thankfully, the quieter one, as the other pool has music playing and is used by the all-inclusive Italian groups (the majority of the guests) for their activities and entertainment . To the left we saw the Figueretas beach area and Ibiza town, straight out and to the right, wide open sea. It was so nice to have lunch in the room with our wonderful sea view. We found the hotel quiet and did not experience any of the late night clubbers coming back and making noise.
There's a supermarket with a verygood selection of products just 1 block away, so that was convenient to buy some staples to cook with. FYI: the hotel didn't provide dish washing detergent, and the tap water is undrinkable - it's salt water - so you have to buy bottled water.
The air conditioning broke for a little over 2 days, so it was a bit uncomfortable. We asked for compensation and at first the manager on duty claimed that it was out of his control. He had the audacity to compare it to the A/C breaking down in our home, and asked who we would get compensation from. After a little back-and-forth, he relented and offered half-board in the hotel for the rest of our stay. We felt that was a kind offer and a fair resolution. The food quality varied. It was nothing spectacular, but it was acceptable. Be aware that half-board does NOT include drinks with your meal - not even WATER! They made an "exception" and let us at least have water, but we did take down our bottled water just in case. The prices for refreshments ranged from 1.80 to over 2 Euros for a glass of cola, beer or wine. The breakfasts were the worst. The "juice" and "coffee" were made from powder so were practically undrinkable. It's definitely not worth getting up for, especially since they only serve until 10am. Obviously, they want people to miss out on breakfast; Ibiza's nightlife goes until late, so I imagine most people don't get up in time.
The location is good if you don't plan on going into Ibiza town much. There's Figueretas beach to one side (10 min) and D' Embossa to the other (10mn) , or if you want to stay at the hotel, the pool was not crowded and they even had some air mattresses for common use.
We did go out to Ibiza town practically every night - for drinks, dinner or a club, so the walk back, yes we walked, took about 25 minutes. Part of the walk is along the boardwalk "paseo maritimo" so that makes it a little more pleasant, but it's the one thing we would have preferred: to have it closer to the town center, but we didn't find an apart-hotel that we liked any closer.
One of the elevators was broken for about 6 day, but at least the other one worked. The maid service was excellent. Each day we came back to a clean room with fresh towels. The front desk personnel were satisfactory but not overly attentive. We thought the hotel's rating was 4 stars, but in fact the official ranking is 3.
If you're looking for an apart-hotel with wonderful sea views, this is a great option for the money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom_in_Madrid

Reviewed July 31, 2009

Returned to Ibiza this summer and chose the Jabeque because of good rates on hotels.com and based on previous reviews at tripadvisor and hotels.com. Last year we spent one week in Torre del Mar (so we knew the area) and one week in Simbad (nice hotel, but Talamanca is so remoted - did not wanna go back) We knew Jabeque had a good location as we wanted to stay near the beach (Playa d'en Bossa) and near Ibiza town. Walking distance is a huge pluss as we did not plan on renting a car.
The hotel looked like a regular holiday apartement hotel in the photos - nothing too fancy - but the price was good.

The guests are mainly Italian - guests of the InViaggi travel agent. They were quite dominant in the hotel with banners, staff and entertainment. There were some noisy Italian guests but I can deal with it being in Ibiza! Other guests seemed to be French, British and German + + It was a mix of families with small kids, groups of friends and couples (18 - 60 years old .. huge age gap) It was surprisingly quiet and there was little noise from the hotel but some from other hotels nearby and the street.

We had a 2-room apartment (bedroom, bath + livingroom with kitchen). We stayed on the first floor, most rooms seemed to have a good location with sea view but I'm happy we didn't get room on ground level - they had little sea view and some of the balconies were covered by trees/plants. A huge palm tree was blocking some of the sea view, but we didn't bother trying to get another room..
The bedroom had two small windows facing the street, so sometimes I had trouble sleeping because of the noise outside on the street and from the hotels across the street. The beds were standard, hard and not too comfy. My only problem with the bedroom was the smell.. it smelled like old cheese and sour socks.. I don't know where the smell came from.. but the walls and the floor stank really bad. I should've complained because it was awful but it's funny what you get used to and learn to live with..
The bathroom had a bath tub with shower, it was pretty okay, mostly good standard. There was a hairdryer, but even though it was supposed to have three settings - it was broken so it was only one setting. But didn't expect hairdryer, so didn't mind. The toilet was noisy and got stuck on flushing. We had to turn it off at night!

The livingroom/kitchen had a sleeping couch, there was a tv as well (mostly Spanish channels and German MTV). We didn't use the kitchen expect from the fridge, which was good.
The balcony was roomy and the partly sea view was good.
Also there is a safe (I think we paid 20 euros in deposit).

The hotel has two pool areas, we only used one of them. Most sunchairs are taken by 12:00 pm. A few of the sunbeds were broken and most of the umbrellas were broken as well, definitely need replacement. The pool was really dirty.. I don't think they cleaned it once during our stay.. There was some nasty green mouldy stuff on the tiles around the pool, I tried not too think about it too much. Most people seemed to enjoy themselves though.

What I did like: location, room is cleaned every day and new towels, internet access in reception (two machines only and a bit expensive, but it works so it's better than nothing), sea view, peace and quiet.
What I did not like: the stank in the bedroom, the broken hairdryer, the noisy toilet, the palmtree blocking our view, the broken sunbeds and umbrellas, the dirty pool,

I might stay here again, but I think they have a bit of work left with keeping the hotel in good shape. There were broken tiles around the pool and there are lots of things that needs to be fixed, but hopefully they will fix it up and maintain the lot and then I might return!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

General:
I would rate the hotel 3.5 overall, in general based around 15 nights All inclusive experience as its a 3 Star hotel, typical Spanish 3 star that is. The 4 Star hotels we saw were like UK 4 Stars, so you might wish to use them but they don't have rooms for 5 person typically 3-4.
Purpose:
The main reason for booking this hotel was we were challenged with a large family room for 5 with 2/3 bedrooms, apartment style with H/B or All Inc and air con, and this was the best solution for most of our needs as we only booked in Feb, even though it had a large Italian 80% population using it with a tour operator, so if you book direct you are not entitled to be included in their package of services that run from the hotel. However sometimes you might be allowed to be included, ie kids club, mini disco if they are a bit quiet, sometimes on 1 child at the club.
I like Ibiza away from the Brits where you are not harassed by touts and scum bags - with a more traditional feel, I've been to this resort 3 times in 7 years and this was the best side of Play D'Bossa.
Location/Hotel:
Great if you like to have the choice between Figueretas and Plays D'Boss its ideal.
If you are a large family upto 6 persons they have a few rooms at a great price compared to other holidays. All hotel rooms have sea view which is not highlighted anywhere I could see before booking.
Would I recommend this hotel for a family YES, but if we go back it would be for a cheap week not 2, really need more entertainment and facilities for 2 weeks
Rooms were quiet and light sout at 12 for the bar.
Issues:
Some situations we had as my wife has already added her views on tripadvisor. as we were there for over 2 weeks and all inc we got to know most of the staff, some better than others, but its a 3 star Spanish style hotel remember!
On arrival we were offered an alternative room for 1 night, as the 2 bed was in repair, Sara (Spanish) Reception great and very helpful- sorted us out no probs. Offered free passes for Aqua Park 60quid worth with out any problem, if you do go then ask the hotel for the pack lunch its something they offer and it will save you £££, even if you go to the beach. Since the hotel was not full the room was not an issue but not sure what would of happened, the hotel chain GPS are all over so we might of been moved for the 1 night, this might not be typical.
I knew the lifts were problematic before we went but this was a joke, luckily they were working when we arrived and when we left, been on the top floor (4th), my advise would be don't use the lifts the were unreliable.
We had a major issue after about 8 days in to the holiday with the aircon, infact the main block had a fault and David the Hotel Mgr/Director (Spanish) works for GPS he was there every day making us aware of the progress it took 2 night and 3 days to fix which was hell due Temps up to 30oc plus for sleeping. This would of ruined the hols but it didn't another night might.
Food :
A continental choice but was very limited for 2 weeks all inc and typically the hot food was not. The meal times were ok for breakfast and lunch but from 2.30 - 8pm for evening meals was far too long with only biscuits at 5pm. Daily Rate at the hotel prices for B/L&E meals were 26 euros and not worth it, booking online was very cheap and was value for money for a family.
Drinks
we got to know the barstaff at the pool(only bar open) Leandrow from Argentina and Raffeli from Italia, kept the beers flowing, but remember everything is slow at the bar and only 1 person was ever working as they split shifts
Entertainment:
As we got to know the In-Viaggi staff mainly because we were at the pool all day every day they told us they are not supposed to spend time with none In- Viaggi guest,s but some did, Roberto (boss) great english and Monica kids rep were good and bent the rules. Our 5 year old loved the club and disco but if you were paying for them they were very poor compared to Thompson holiday standards, so you would need to take the risk, once a gain its not very clear form the booking.
The hotel has a fantastic cinema area, I recommend taking a few Dvds for the kids as their choices were not in English.
On a minor note:
We lost a few articles by the pool kids sun glasses, flip flops my favourite hat at different times and they were never found.
I was told tby the mgr hat the Italians use the main pool and others use the smaller pool at the back, but this was not the case and I never saw one fight.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank draCUP
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I was very worried about staying at the Jabeque as I have never stayed in apartments in Ibiza before and the reviews have been mixed. Jabeque isn't the Ritz but I do believe that you get what you pay for and on this front I think that this is very good value for money.
There were 6 of us, females, 26 years-36 years. All experienced Ibiza goers and love the Island for it's restaurants, club scene and beaches. We had two x one bedroom apartments and they were of reasonable size, each with balconies and each very clean. The curtains in each of the rooms were absolutely fine, there are blackout curtains behind each of the normal curtains, I can only assume that the previous reviewers had not seen them. Towels also get mentioned in previous reviews and yes they are thin, but they were ok and get changed daily. The beds were fine in the bedrooms, but I would not have slept on the sofa beds, one looked to thin and the other too small for an adult.
The 'kitchen area' was hilarious - very compact and 'bedsitty'. It had enough crockery there but you are dependent on the last occupants buying washing up liquid, which was definately not the case in one of our apartments. The toaster in one also had seen better days and looked to be a hazard.
In relation to noise, my personal opinion is that this is still a family hotel. One of our apartments was above the kids club and it was very well used. On most mornings all you could hear was kids screaming and playing, in direct competition with any sound system! I can't comment on the entertainment in the hotel as it's not my cup of tea, but it was loud and there looked to be some people enjoying it. I can't imagine that evening entertainment is high on the agenda of this sort of place anyway though. There is a pool bar with a happy hour and some games area - I can't believe their entertainment budget would stretch much further.
We paid £450 for the week and our flights - all in all a good deal I think. If you want more then you really need to pay some more.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2009

on arrival at the jabeque there was a problem with our hotel room (not sure what exactly) the receptioist sara was a great help and gave us a few different options. eventually we opted for a smaller room for the evening and passes to the aqua park. this worked out fine for us as the smaller room was still fairly big for two adults and three kids. our second room was a great size and had plenty wardrobe space, however, it was in a fair state of disrepair-ripped curtains, chipped tiles, cracked walls and mildew around the air conditioning system-ive noticed a few people have commented on the second double bedroom in the two bedded rooms but we didnt really think there was anything wrong with it. the other two rooms had fantastic views of ibiza town and as we were on the 4th floor we were fairly unaffected by any noise from the clubbers. rooms were cleaned and fresh towels daily.
the poolside area was mostly quite quiet and we always managed to get the sunbeds we wanted. we felt the lack of a lifeguard was a bit of a problem and there were a few raised paving stones which my kids stubbed their toes on loads. the kids park was a bit disappointing and lots of the equipment was damaged and could be dangerous for little children. poolside toilets absolutely disgusting and i opted to walk the four flights to our room(as the lifts were generally out of order) to use that toilet instead most of the time!!!
food was really disapointing very little choice always lukewarm and pretty bland breakfast being the worst meal of the day-to say this is predominantly an italian hotel i was very surprised at the poor quality of the food.
all the entertainment is in italian and the in-viaggi staff will pretty much ignore you unless you have booked with them,however, there were a couple of members of the in viaggi staff who were fantastic and chatted to us and involved the kids in games in the pool etc.
Hotel staff all very helpfull and friendly and most had good english.
this hotel is in a fantastic location with stunning views and made for a fairly relaxing holiday,however, the whole place really is in need of a facelift!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Booked for half board. After only eating one meal in the restaurant decided to eat out.
If you had a beer or wine this was given in a glass.Spirits or soft drinks in a coke paper cup, not nice to drink out of.Also the restaurant staff ,males okay and helpful. Females very rude and not at all helpful.Food not very warm, not much to choose from.
Hotel full of Italians and Spanish not many English.
Views from room excellent.
Lots of noise from clubbers coming back from the clubs early hours of morning.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Five of us (all girls) arrived for a short break on 16th June. We were checked in promptly and were given room 220 with a great sea and pool view. The apartment was a fair size; 2 bedrooms - one double, one twin and the fifth bed was in the living room area. The living room and twin both had sliding doors onto the balcony and were clean and bright. The double bedroom was smaller and very dark, with only one small window to the side. There was also no air con in this room. Both bedrooms had huge wardrobes in and the safe was in the twin room. The bathroom was clean but we were short on towels - a quick call to reception sorted that out. The kitchen was essentially two hobs and a sink in a cupboard with a kettle and toaster available. There were two fridges though so it was perfectly fine for a short stay - we ate out every meal except breakfast anyway. The view was flawless!
Every morning the in-house entertainment gave a bit of a wake up call and started playing loud music at about 9-9.30 round the pool - fine unless you fancy a lie in! The pool area was clean and the bar prices reasonable - not too many people had 'reserved' sun beds with their towels so we got a spot when we wanted to.
The hotel was a five minute walk to the edge of Playa den Bossa beach and where you can catch a boat to Ibiza town or do any of the tours. There were a few cafes here and we had a nice lunch at Joanne's bar. We did a boat tour to the hippy market at Es Canar - warning - this is quite a long boat trip and most of us suffered slightly on the way! We did get a glass of Sangria on the return trip though. There were two 'supermarkets' within 2 minutes of the hotel and the bus to Ibiza town stopped right outside the main one. The buses were really good - every 20 minutes or so - and only 1.45 Euro. The Old Town and the restaurants near the square were worth a visit. Ibiza Town beach is just a short walk down the front though so it's not worth taking the bus for this. There are lots of restaurants on the way and a really great Tapas at the very end. (The one that does a sample platter for 12 Euros!) We took a bus to San Antonio which wasn't very expensive and took about half an hour. That departed from the bus station in Ibiza Town and had return 'party buses' until 3am.
Overall, a great place to stay, just a shame about the double bedroom that just wasn't up to the standard of the rest of the apartment.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
#7 of 33 in Playa d'en Bossa
Bellamar Hotel
Bellamar Hotel
#4 of 97 in Sant Antoni de Portmany

Been to Aparthotel Playasol Jabeque Soul? Share your experiences!