“We are two demanding Brits - don't believe the other reviews!!!”
Review of Hotel Marigna

Hotel Marigna
Ranked #43 of 52 Hotels in Ibiza Town
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We got an early season deal last week and have just got back - if i had have read these other reviews... we would not have gone! Glad i have only read them now... that I post this…

We booked 6 days before we arrived. The price was very reasonable and we knew where the hotel was from earlier stays at The Cenit.

We arrived at the hotel at 10:00 am and were told that the room was not ready - the owner explained that the current occupant of our room had been clubbing and only arrived at 06:00…if he had not vacated by 12:00 housekeeping would eject him and clean the room... could we come back. We knew we would not be able to check in at that time so it was ok. But they dealt with our case and hand luggage separately putting it behind the desk (I appreciated that).

This is a small(ish) hotel in an excellent location, 5 minute walk to Figurettas Beach and about a 15 minute walk to Ibiza town.

The hotel is one star - basic and that was reflected in the price. However, having said that, the housekeeping was exceptional!

Yes, this is german owned and run, but ALL of the staff had excellent customer recognition, some times approaching the front desk they were there with our room key having seen us walking up to the hotel.

There were no issues with any staff regarding attitude or the other concerns raised in the other reviews so I cannot comment on those - other than to say that was not our experience.

The hotel has a roof terrace for nude sunbathing (or just to oggle some German Sausage!) There is a sauna apparently - didn't get/go there.

The continental breakfast is... as you would imagine…continental!
so expect :

powdered juice
cereal and chilled-milk in a jug
breads (most of which we don't understand)
an extensive cheese / ham / melon / tomato / pate / yogurt / salami option
hot options (Im vegetarian so only got to the pure-scrambled eggs) there were sausage, scrambled egg with ham etc

the bar staff were attentive and had personalities! even in translation (we don't speak German!) which is also not reflected in the other reviews!!!

overall a good holiday

i think it may be noisy in high season which may also pose other complaints…or compliments!!!
;-)

this is a gay hotel which also enables the use of the Cenit Terrace!!!!
A must!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank crtrwill
There are newer reviews for Hotel Marigna

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Overpriced...do not go there unless you speak German otherwise you'll be treated very differently from the majority of German clients...and not a good way!!! Obnoxious staff,horrible beds,dated decoration....avoid at all cist. There are so many other places to stay in Ibiza for less

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Richardka
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I know this a one star hotel and was not expecting anything fancy - but even this star is entirely undeserved for the intolerable rudeness of the hotel proprietor.
On checking in, I was told I had not requested something in advance which I was supposed to - when I had specially called in advance two weeks before. I was told "you should email" and "I am the owner of this hotel, and I tell you have not done this" and "you have caused us much inconvenience". Utter rudeness, to which anyone would have launched into a fist fight - but I could not muster the strength to fight back.
I hear the same complaints from other readers - and I wonder how this hotel stays in business? But clearly they are not doing well - half empty in August.
The guests they do have seem to be all German - and the owners are German so I think the only excuse could be they do not like the English!
Shame - because it could be a great little place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank aussiesoho
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Ok folks this hotel is 1 star but the service is 5 and the atmosphere is 10.
I read the reviews before i arrived and expected a dump "i don't get some people who write reviews sometimes" this place is very cool.
The Hotel Marigna is run by two great German guys Rene and Michael with an incredible polite and fun staff, a heavy German clientele(all very friendly)but quite a few other european people staying there myself from London.
Room was comfortable great beds super clean and a spotless bathroom view out too the mountains and apartments.
Breakfast was a good enough choice for most folks one Sunday we had salmon very posh.
Basically i had a great time here yes is predominately gay but straight folks are welcome the bar is open 24/7 and Nico and Neil are the most fantastic staff ever.
Easy to get into Ibiza town 15 min ,a short walk to tons of great restaurants beaches supermarkets bike moped hire ferry to Formentera this part of Ibiza has everything i did not touch a Big club or venture to San Antonio in my 12 days stay so if you are looking to chill and relax this is the place to do it.
I have stayed in some of the worlds top hotels(Claridges/Dorchester) and i can honestly say service is service 1 star or 6 star i will be returning to Hotel Marigna for their custom i miss them already and Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank carlparris
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We didnt stay at this hotel but used the bar virtually every day! While the hotel was quiet as it wasnt quite in season in Ibiza, we found the staff really friendly and helpful, the terrace area is a really nice spot, the drinks are very reasonably priced espeically compared to some of the gay bars in Ibiza so couldnt really fault it to be honest. Didnt see the bedrooms but certainly enjoyed the service that we recevied.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MPW2873
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed here for 8 nights in early September. A time-warp me thinks, stuck in the 90's.
Very noisy, esp at 4am, with guests from other hotels sat drinking under our bedroom window.....no apologies just a "that's how it is" comment. Overwhelmingly German clients, extremely noisy and surly. At £1000 for the week..I expected more than I got....poor breakfast, nosiy air-con, shabby beds and linen..I could go on. Avoid it!

Room Tip: None on the front of the building as these are over the noist bar area
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Stayed here with a few friends. We are all young gay professionals from the UK. The reviews on here are right. The place is expensive for what it is and very outdated. The whole thing is like an early 90's nightmare with art work to match! The staff are ignorant and surly. The manager was extremely rude to me and several other people when we stayed.
Maybe the owners need to admit defeat and retire now?? as they just seem bitter and twisted, there is zero party atmosphere at this place. The rooms are clean but very basic. The breakfast has cheap ingredients and is not good. There is a sun terrace on the roof with no pool and a very sad looking jacuzzi in the corner. All in all I would give this place a 4/10 but the staff i would give 2/10 as they were simply rude and at times seemed almost hostile which is not what you want when you go away for a nice relaxing holiday with your friends.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple