“Not worthy of the Marriott AC criteria”

AC Baqueira Ski Resort, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Baqueira
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento
“Not worthy of the Marriott AC criteria”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Marriott's Autograph Collection are supposed to be the creme de la creme of their portfolio, but this hotel is lacking in many areas that would give it that distinction. We are Gold Elite members and have never received such poor service in any Marriott in the US. Spanish customer service does not compare, so it is difficult to compare apples to apples. However, there were only two staff members who showed any respect. Juan in the spa and Sara at the front desk were excellent and friendly. The rest of the staff needs to learn how to smile and be welcoming.

When we first arrived, we were given a room that we were told was an upgrade. It's windows faced a rock wall below a street. After being in the room for ten minutes, we were so uncomfortably warm we felt claustrophobic. The windows were stationary and could not be opened, and no matter how low we turned the thermostat, the room would not cool down. We called the front desk and a maintenance man was sent. He advised us to turn it off. We left for dinner, and when we returned several hours later, the room was just as hot. We called the front desk and we were told that nothing could be done until the next day. With a room that cost $415 per night, this was not an acceptable response. I went down to the front desk, where I dealt with the same surly young man. When he realized I would not take no for an answer, he said that he would put us into another room which had windows that would open. It was now midnight, and there was not a single offer of helping us move our belongings.

Other problems, the wi-fi does not work in the rooms as promised, and many of the room features are more about design than function. I am not personally into the austere, dark, chic look that is now popular. The spa area looks like it could be the interior of a submarine it is so grim. The 'arab' bath was not functioning and we were told by another guest that it had been down for over a week.

I am glad that we were able to use our reward points to book this hotel because if I had spent money for this hotel, I would have been angry to have had the treatment and poor service that we have received. I asked three times to speak to the manager, and was told every time that she was unavailable, and she never made any attempt to contact us. I saw her in passing several times, and her demeanor, dress code and general aura was all very poor. I think her hand at running this hotel is the reason for the poor attitudes and lack of good customer service. Marriott should take note...the only reason I did not give this hotel only one star is because there were a few redeeming qualities...good location and good breakfast buffet. But not worthy of the high price tag that is being charged! Book elsewhere if you can!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LoungeLizard64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Marriott should and do know better.... It's not all bad, but to be honest this was a real shame.

The Good

Great location 50 metres from the bottom of the lifts
Ski rental shop within hotel (and two others within 30 metres of the hotel door)
Good breakfast buffet each morning with wide selection and fresh pastries
Good design and modern feel to hotel

The Bad

Unfortunately, they outnumber the good and it means no going back....

Noise in rooms - Most seriously for an alleged 5 star property - there is awful noise cross over (in the duplex suites) from adjacent rooms- the worst I can remember since an awful MH Hotel in Holland about 2 years ago which was a third of the price. We could literally hear what the guy in the next room was saying to his wife in bed- and he was not shouting ! It's not just one room either because of the layout you get noise from at least 3 if not 4 rooms - so add the sweet whisperings in French to the shoot up movie, to some rowdy teenagers up until 3am on a Saturday morning and you get the picture. I raised this on checkout (we left early on Saturday am) and the nice young man shrugged helplessly and said they were full and people don't care about others - I persisted and said that was fine but there is zero acoustic insulation.... He said nothing and offered no apology or service recovery but proceeded to hit up my card for the full bill without making eye contact - I got the feeling this is a common complaint . ( our room was 415 - we'd requested a high floor room away from the lifts - 415 is next to the lifts...

Property maintenance - on our corridor floor tiles were curling up at the corners and on the restaurant floor the toilets were not cleaned or inspected regularly during our stay

Service standards are poor - its obvious that the restaurant staff hate their jobs - the managers first words on entry to the restaurant in Spanish (so not a 2nd language) were not Good morning or even Hello, but just a brusque "Room Number ?" (Reception were a lot more friendly)

Leisure access - we travelled with our 8 year old - only when we got there did we find that the pool is off limits to anyone under 16 - this is not on the AC or Marriott web sites, which was a big disappointment.

Parking - the hotel has an underground garage directly accessible by lift, but they charge you 15 euros per day to use it we arrived on Monday and left on Saturday and yes they charged us a full 5 days at 15 euros.... This is sharp to say the least, but when the rooms are priced as they are, and this parking fee is not made clear until arrival (in our case) then its an unnecessary gorging of tourist euros !

Après Ski - In the same vein the elevators advertise a cup of steaming chocolate and home made cakes to welcome you back from the slopes from 4pm until 7:30 each afternoon. Many ski hotels do the same including in Baqueira but AC have a funny twist I haven't seen before, which is an 8 Euro charge per person (including kids) that isn't on the adverts ! Honestly....

Summary - Baqueira is great and we will go back as soon as we can for the great skiing - this hotel could be great too but has structural and management flaws that are so great I couldn't recommend it to anyone.

We've stayed before at La Pleta (which I reviewed at the time) and that was older but way better, whilst I would try somewhere else next time because that's what we do, I can at least recommend La Pleta as a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere in Baqueira - this should be great but its not. If you do stay - do anything to NOT h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DepDawg
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

Really nice hotel for those who like the contemporary look&feel. The people were friendly and try to make your stay a good one, even if nobody speaks English.
The downside of this type of city-hotel is that it lacked the cosy apres-ski holiday feeling. We travelled with a 10-year old who did really get bored in the hotel as there was not really anything to do, no nice place to hang-out or chill after coming back from the slopes. Although I normally like this type of hotel, I would not choose it again for a family ski-holiday as it lacked the athmosphere you would expect; which other hotels in Baqueira do offer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Iris D
barcelona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

We had the best snow, the best weather and not to many people as March fall in between holidays, the days are longer but snow still fell at the beginning of the week. The hotel is very comfortable and stylish. At nighttime , we choose to go to a raclette restaurant in Baqueira (very good) and a typical aranese restaurant 7km away, both adviced by the hotel. Staff was very helpful, and the location within walking distance of the skilifts is perfect; so is the ski-locker at the ski-lift.
We loved the sunny terrace for the after ski, the music was very nice. Maybe mojitos rae a bit over-priced in comparison to all the rest...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steffieBarcelona
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

Excellent staff; super room; good food. Non-smoking policy in main areas of hotel especially welcome.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

I loved the location and the fact that they took your skis and placed them in a locker at the ski lift for you. I thought the regular rooms were too small - it was difficult to pass the end of the bed and I didn't like walking into the bathroom as soon as you opened the door. The toilet was not very private (not ideal if planning a romantic weekend away with a new boyfriend as there is no privacy). The room was nice and quiet though. The treatments in the spa were well priced and the therapists were excellent. I did think the oversized plastic jacuzzi/circuit thing looked cheap and there was not enough seating room in the spa. Breakfast was good but I thought the snack lounge was overpriced and the cigar lounge lacked any atmosphere. Great location though!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

This winter, with some friends from Barcelona, I went for a ski journey to Baqueira. The hotel was chosen by one of my friends and in the begining I thought it was to expensive (more than 250 euros per night). Once there, I realize that the hotel was perfect and that the money was worth it. The hotel is a 5 star, and is truly located just off the chairlift that brings you to the ski station. You can stock all the ski equipment on a VIP wardrobe at the chairlift base. In the hotel you also have a ski shop, incase you forgot something at home. The room was perfect and big enough, but was couple oriented... and i was with a friend (a same sex friend hopefully as the bath was open).
Dont miss the spa nor the sun terrace to relax from a excellent day of skiing. I hightly recomend this hotel if you ever go to Baqueira.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends