“Pearly grey”

Pearly Grey Ocean Club
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We arrived and placed in an old fashion dirty room on the 4th floor. After making a complaint at recepiton, we was moved to a modern room on the 2nd floor. The cleaner did not visit our room for five days, however after another complaint we hada number of visits throughout our ten days. The staff are lovely, helpfull and the timeshare sales team are not to pushy.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank picky2010
There are newer reviews for Pearly Grey Ocean Club

Reviewed September 13, 2010

I'm really sorry, I have conned you but if you're anything like me you only read the bad reviews first?!?!

What a fantastic holiday I have just had with my partner and two boys 6 & 7 Years. I had booked it through advertisements PG had done thru my work and only paying £150 for the first week and 318 Euros the second. I really wasn't expecting much and having read some of the reviews on this site I was beginning to doubt my booking.
Well, I'm glad I followed it through as I can honestly say I've had the best holiday I can remember.
I can say I experienced all standards of rooms as we moved 3 times and this wasn't thru complaining, it's too long winded to go into. The first room was a ground floor, one bed roomed apartment that wasn't in the best location but was roomy, well equipped and clean, the furniture was dated and it needed a refurbishment but was acceptable, but hey the price paid one could hardly complain.
The next room was a two bed roomed apartment on the 4th floor, this was very nice, spacious, clean and had fantastic views towards the sea and the Island of La Gomera. We then had another move to the fabulous sea front apartments that have been refurbished with extremely large terraces. The good news is the main hotel rooms are being refurbished next year.
We spent most of the first week in the hotel, eating in the restaurant, this was because the food and staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble. There was a good breakfast for 350 euros that was popular, full english, toast and tea or coffee.
There was a good choice of lunch and evening menu, even in the kiddies section. There were deals to be done on half board but we didn't go for this as there was an additional offer of paying money onto your account to gain extra i.e. pay 500 euro's receive an extra 75, pay 300 for an extra 45, I don't think you could combine the offer's.
There was also a happy hour each evening from 5 til 6 where all drinks apart from bottles of wine were half price.
I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Carl & Rik the barmen and Ruth, Sue, Lynne and Paul from the restaurant for making our experience at the PG truly memorable.
The pool area was very clean, there were plenty of sun beds and the pool itself was very clean and fairly large in size. There is a life guard on duty most of the day and Jimmy and Tracey are great at organising activities. I have to say I have never been anywhere where I have seen so many people use the pool, even I got in a couple of times and it was lovely and warm. My kids spent most of their holiday in there.
If you don't want to take towels as you are on a weight restriction with your luggage you can rent towels from reception for use by the pool.
Thee are activities for the children, one in the morning and another in the afternoon usually pool based, they don't last for long but do give you some respite. I would like to see more kiddies activities arranged, even if you have to pay for them or some kind of babysitting service so you can go out for a nice meal without a chicken nugget in sight.
The resort itself was quite small but with a good quanity of bars and restaurants, we ate out a few times and would recommend the Steak House in the complex behind the DINO Express supermarket, the Bodega tapas bar inbetween the Bodega restaurant and the Bow Locks bar, the tapas here was exceptional, unfortunately only found this on the last evening. There is a short walk of around 10-15 minutes through the banana plantations to the next resort of Playa Paraiso where there is also a good selection of bars etc.
There are a good quantity of supermarkets in the resort but found the best one to be the DINO express just across the road from the PG. Most people bought their drinks and ice creams from here to have by the pool (no glass though).

There is a small laundarette on site with 2 washing machines and a drier, you don't really need the drier as there are airers privided on the balconies that easily hold a washing load. This is another god send if you are on luggage weight restrictions.
You can buy a small pack of washing powder for 1 euro enough for one load from the vending machine, the use of the machine itself is 4 euro but it does hold 8 kgs.
My partner used the gym a few times, the price is 5 Euros per day. It was fairly small but well equipped, there is also a sauna and jacuzzi. If you're into golf there is a trip every Monday around 2pm to play 9 holes, as long as you have trainers or a covered shoe you can borrow the PG golf clubs as they have a few sets. Then it's back to the PG for happy hour where Dougie the sales manager who organises the trips holds court at the bar, and what a fantastic bloke he is!! A big THANK YOU to you too Dougie.
There is a kids play area next to the bar but doesn't intrude on the bar area so you can relax and have a drink etc and watch the kids without everyone being disturbed by them, there is also a small pool there for the toddlers. This area has been well thought out.
There is also free Wi-Fi so if you take a lap top there is free internet.

We hired a car but booked this before arriving, what a waste of money, we only used it two or three time and the driving in Tenerife is horrendous, we have driven all over the world but have never seen such dangerous driving as here. In future we will use the well serviced bus routes from the resort.

As this is a time share place we went along for the presentation given to us by Jurgen. I didn't need the presentation, the deal was done all I needed to know was where to sign and sign I did, parting quite happily with my money. I have spent far more on one holiday alone several times than I have paid for this time share and what have i had for my money in the past, memories and the expense every year. And I have to say I have stayed in some of the suites of the finest hotels in the world and they are not much better than the sea front suites at the PG, and the staff at the PG are much better.
We are not normally a family that would stay within the hotel but would venture out, we never go half board or AI. We don't generally mix but keep to our own company and avoid the usual holiday company type of places. For the last 10 years we have been long haul enjoying the luxury of the far east, Mauritius, Barbados, Dubai etc so for me to find this place with only a four hour flight away is fantastic and not we've purchased points it does not restict us to Tenerife but many other locations worldwide.

I spoke to many people whilst staying at the PG, some who had been going there over 18 years, some like us their first visit. Some people purchased and some did not but I never heard one complaint of being pressurised or made to feel unwelcome if they didn't buy. I can honestly say I did not go the the PG with the inention of buying but after spending just a couple of days there I couln't wait to sign up.
The reps are friendly, approachable and are available to speak to but not intrusive. They are very helpful with information about Tenerife, places to go, places to eat etc, and good honest accounts too.

A big THANK YOU to every one at PG, and see you soon.

6  Thank sacwiltshireDevizes
Reviewed September 10, 2010

we loved the hotel but the location was not good as they was no were u could walk and they was no beach near and was 18-20 euros in a taxi to playa DE Americas they nearest beach was at least 12 euros in a taxi but can get buses but taken a bus is at your own risk if u do not no the area don't rely on the bus drivers to tell u when to get off. the room we stayed in was OK but was a bit undated but was still very nice and had the perfect view of the pool and the sea. the receptionist Carine and gamma was so helpful and nice we got ants in our room and they couldn't be more helpful. the food at the hotel was really nice but a bit pricey. we went to the Casar maria the restaurant just across the road. we really enjoyed it at the pearly gray but the location is so secluded that they is nothing to do if u choice to go out from the hotel most of the shops were closed down and they is 3 supermarkets near by. they is a small beach at the end of the road but is very run down and not recommended for small children or in my opinion not suitable for anyone as it just stones and dirt. if u are the person that just likes to stay at the hotel then this is the perfect holiday but if u were like us like to have a walk around and just have a wounder then this isn't recommended. but hotel put on great entertainment every night and BBQ every Saturday the staff are all nice the room were OK acceptable but still in good condition. they only thing that goes against this hotel is the location and the fact that it don't have a beach. but would recommend to friends that stay just in the hotel.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

Travelled with my wife and two children. We stayed in the main building on the 3rd floor. The rooms are standard and with great views. The rooms, communal area's, pool and terraces are spotlessly clean. The staff are very helpful and friendly.
We found this a very relaxing and welcoming place to stay with a community type feel rather than a hotel.
The resort is small and queit with a number of very good restuarants nearby. There is entertainment each evening which was excellent, Comedy Elvis is not to be missed.
There are games etc in the daytime for the kids and adults too.
We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return.

1  Thank Strider687
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed for a week in a one bedroom apartment on the fourth floor, we made the booking through a promotion RCI were running. The apartment cost £105 which seemed excellant value, as we could only get flights on certain days we had to pay to stay the extra night which cost 40 euros. I didnt expect to be staying in one of the refurbished apartments so wasnt too dissapointed to be in one of the older ones. It was ok, a bit dated, sofa bed wasnt extremely comfortable and the fan in the living area was not good so it was quite hard to sleep at night. We only expected the apartment to be cleaned once that week but seen the cleaners in quite regulary. The apartment did have a nice view. Location of the hotel was nice, plenty of supermarkets, bars & restaurants, although a lot of the village did look to be closed up. Ate in restaurant once, food was good, drinks were more expensive than some of the other bars in the area, but I assume this was to cover the nighly entertainment. Never had any problems getting sunbeds, pool was lovely & cold which was very welcome in the heat. Main reception area, bar, restaurant - modern, spacious decor with wi-fi available. Overall an ok stay but would not return - too much of the world to see!

Reviewed August 13, 2010

Very friendly staff all brits as were the guests - mostly those with young families
Apartment clean but very dated good views of the ocean could just about hear it above all the noise
Not the place to come to if you are looking for a restful holiday hard to find a vacant sun bed felt like a goldfish in a bowl
Beware of the hard sell from resident reps and dont forget the ear plugs

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank morganperry
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We spent 8 days at the Pearly Grey. Our apartment was not actually in the hotel but down by the ocean, the views from the terrace were heavenly , the apartment in itself was spotless, the room was cleaned and the towels changed every single day, so thumbs up to that.
In truth, there is precious little to criticise - yes, we had a slight problem with incredibly pesky minute ants which seem to be everywhere, but hey, I don't really think it's the hotel's fault. Also, we did not have water in the sink (but we did have in the toilets) in 2 occassions, but we didn;t bother to advise the hotel staff about this, since it lasted only for a few hours.
Speaking about the hotel staff, I must really commend them (especially the main girl at the reception desk, the curly haired blonde, sorry, can't remember her name) - she was incredibky helpful with all our needs (especially explaining the bus numbers and routes and guiding us to some fantastic locations). In Tenerife, it is a bit difficult sometimes to get people to help with directions and stuff, since knowledge of English is quite sketchy (but if you know a bit of Italian, and French, you make yourself understood and you understand lots of Spanish words) but the hotel reception staff all knew perfect Englsih, so another plus!
All in all, staying at the Pearly Grey made our stay at Tenerife a wonderful one.

Nos pondremos en contacto!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Callao Salvaje
Royal Garden Villas
Royal Garden Villas
#1 of 59 in Costa Adeje

Been to Pearly Grey Ocean Club? Share your experiences!