“Good location but problem with bed bugs”

Blue Sea Callao Garden
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Callao Salvaje
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Arrived late in the evening and spent some time finding our accommodation as the lighting was extremely poor. The reception staff were not very helpful.
Accommodation was quite nice although the bedroom was tiny and stuffy and there was no air conditioning. We requested a pool view but wasn't given this but we had a partial sea view. As my partner and I were staying for 2 weeks we tried to get moved to an apartment with a better view but the reception staff kept telling me to come back at a different time when they had places available but only to be told by another member of staff that they couldn't because the hotel was full. Our holiday was in November which was outside school holiday time and the hotel was not full. In any case people were leaving all the time as they do when they have finished their holiday. But our biggest problem was that both my partner and I suffered from bites during the night - what we believe to be from bed bugs as there were no mosquitoes in our room. This caused me to have sleepless nights and so I was like a zombie for most of the holiday. Having discussed this with other holiday makers at the end of our holiday, it seems that there have been some complaints about bed bugs in some apartments. Bar staff and restaurant staff were excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a pool and sea view as if you get one you will have a lovely view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jack J

Reviewed November 16, 2013

The worst hotel I've stayed in my life. Old rooms/bungalows, old and rusty furniture/toilet and bathroom, horrifying "restaurant" with so called buffet and plastic tables and chairs.
Same time a rip off.
The location is in the middle of nowhere.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Maria Z
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Having very recently spent a week here with a family of six, we have all come back with very few negatives surrounding the hotel generally!
Being an all inclusive family, we definitely took advantage of the food that they offered every meal time and there was definitely something to eat each time. Although many people who critic the hotel regarding food expect 5* food and grade the hotel down rather drastically, you have to remember that this is only 3* and you pay for what you get. As a fussy eater I can assure you I went up for a plate of food at least twice so there really isn't anything to complain about. The puddings however were far from good but I suspect the Spanish haven't grasped our concept of puddings just yet.
Another high bonus was the alcohol. Usually you expect watered down alcohol but they definitely didn't water down theirs. Sam Miguel was on tap an the spirits came from sealed bottles so you know that the alcohol hasn't been tampered with. The cocktails they did were lovely and strong as was the Sangria.
Entertainment was okay. There's the regular guy who walks around trying with all of his might to get us involved in various activities but us Brits are more sun lovers than activity lovers, but he definitely had children enticed every time he did an activity so good luck to him! Night time entertainment was hit and miss but at least there was something on.
The apartments were really spacious but also a little dated. There was a lot of storage space which being an advantage could also be a negative when it comes to the end of your holiday and you are having to check everything whilst packing. There was a lot of household appliances within the kitchen however if you fall unlucky of having to sleep in the living space (on the sofa bed) then there is no stopping the humming that the fridge continuously does. Just use some ear pugs and you're fine. Our apartment was 297 which was extremely close to the road and probably one of the main ones that would be robbed so we slept with balcony doors closed or at least put the table and chairs in the way which would alert us if something did happen. There was also a lorry that would come at about 2 am which would empty the bins and woke us all up in a panic because it was a loud noise!
There are four pools, the forth being hidden away and wasn't used that much. The other three were extremely close to one another but on different levels, the top two being salt water and the third which was near the only open restaurant after the summer season, being chlorine. Always found sun beds which wasn't a struggle.
The resort itself was extremely quiet with very little to for those who would want to spend time outside the hotel. The beach was a black beach so personally it didn't appeal to me, but you could see that it was in a beach that was in regular use. Very few bars there and I believe there to be only five hotels within the resort itself. So it was a very quiet destination.
There was very little interaction with the staff apart from those at the restaurant who were kind and helpful as well as an older lady at the welcome desk who gave me another band after mine had broke, which she was unpleasant and quite rude about so word of warning do not break your wrist band if you want to be treated disgustingly by a member of staff who should be the face of the hotel and therefore polite and pleasant.
My overall opinion of the hotel is brilliant as there are very little things I can put a negative to. The reason why it wasn't a five star for me was because I believed that there was something missing but I can't quite put my finger on it! I would come here again with a large family, but as a couple would be a no go zone as I personally like to adventure out of the resort and visit attractions around the area.

Room Tip: Ask for either sea view or side sea view. The side sea view has the dramatic landscape of the mounta...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank hhoskinsguy
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Nice Staff, with witch we got on very well, peaceful place, nice apartments, just not very tidy, short I think of cleaning staff, we were 3 people and child, not much from food for child, but it not children hotel :)
great value for money, no one was dissapointed we had all inclusive, but most of time we were traveling, had a car, Cicar was cheapest, dont go to Golden car, because you will pay like its golden

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Jeyjey1982
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and I arrived here at 1230 pm only to be told that our room would not be available until 4pm. After a 4pm start this was very galling! We left our luggage in the luggage room and we were told that we could go to the pool bar for lunch and a drink. (which we would have to pay for as we were self catering). Only to be told on arrival at the bar that snack were not available until after 2.30 pm. Good start then! We eventually got our room at 15.45 hrs. The room, and we had booked a 1 bed room apartment was clean, spacious, with a well equipped kitchen and a large bathroom. Callao Gardens is situated on a steep hill and is not recommended for the disabled. We found that at times the women receptionist was surly and unhelpful. You have to pay for Wi Fi and for TV (other than local TV). There are 4 pools and we found no problems obtaining a sun bed. We did find that we were woken at times by the cleaners trolleys quite early in the morning, sometimes as early as 7am! On one occasion the cleaner required access at 0900 hrs to clean our room. The rooms were serviced every two days. There are plenty of restaurants close by and the local bus stop is within 2 mins walking distance. We went into Los Christianos and Las Americas by bus. We also went to Los Gigantes, where we went on a two hour boat trip to see the dolphins, which we did! Overall, we would come again.

Room Tip: You need to be aware that there are some steep climbs to get to the hotel and many stairs within the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Mohawk1946
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have just arrived back after having a great week holiday at Callao Gardens.
After some research we selected this hotel for a value for money all inclusive break. Most of the reviews had been positive, with the biggest grumble being the food selection.
We found the hotel to be very good overall. The Rooms were spacious and clean, serviced two or three times in the week. Whilst there is no air conditioning, there is a fan in the main living room. To be honest it would make more sense for the fan to be in the bedroom as it got very hot in the night. Incidentally we later found out that you could hire a portable air con unit for 60 Euros.
The grounds and pool area are very good . There is plenty of space, and there are 4 different pools to choose from .
There was only one bar open whilst we were there at the Lanzarote restaurant. This wasn't much of a problem for most of the week but come Friday and Saturday the hotel was about two thirds full, another bar would have been more sensible.
The restaurant was adequate with every day providing a variety of options. However a couple of days we found a little samey.. We weren't surprised because we had read trip advisor reviews which eluded to this. Functionally it does what you would expect for the money, provides you with well prepared / cooked food. However over the week it's hard to recall a special meal, and it never gives you the feeling of a night out at a nice buffet restaurant.
The hotel staff are very nice, always helpful. I can't recall any disappointment in terms of customer service.
The drinks at the bar are fine, for all inclusive it's plastic cups for pool side or proper glasses inside the restaurant area. The only lager is San Miguel, and local labels for other drinks.
Callao Salvaje is a nice up and coming area with a newly landscaped beach and a number of shops bars and restaurants. It's about a 20 to 30 minute bus ride to las Americas etc, which can be a blessing, it will cost about 2 euros each way.
For a value for money all inclusive week, I would certainly have no problem coming back. But there is some work to do to make this a great place to stay.
It appears to have recently changed hands to Blue sea Callao Gardens, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank PhilLancashire
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights all inclusive from 17th until 21st September 2013 with a friend. The hotel itself was ok - we had a fairly large apartment with a nice big balcony overlooking a pool. Although it was quite clean, one night we did notice that there were some small bugs on our beds... I told reception and they said the cleaner would spray and disinfect when they cleaned. We didn't see anymore after that so I guess that solved the problem. The food was very samey and I found it quite difficult to eat healthily (not that I was trying but the vegetables and the fruit was all very unappetising), so I ended up eating a whole lot of carbs! Having said that, I still enjoyed the food but more variety would have been nice. As you would expect (I still feel it is important to mention though), the entertainment is very children-oriented and so as it was just my friend and I we found that a little boring but that was our fault - we weren't expecting anything else. There really is nothing to do in the area at all, but again I was expecting for that to be the case. This hotel is perfect for families who want to take their young children and remain in the grounds of the hotel for the majority of their time in Tenerife.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view and if you want a double bed you need to be explicit about it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
#3 of 4 in Callao Salvaje
Laguna Park 2
Laguna Park 2
#52 of 58 in Playa de las Americas

Been to Blue Sea Callao Garden? Share your experiences!