“Spacious apartment with lovely views, good value.”

Tropical Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Callao Salvaje
North Berwick, United Kingdom
“Spacious apartment with lovely views, good value.”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I booked Tropical Park for a week as an extra holiday after booking a cheap flight to Tenerife. I had stayed there about 15 years before and was slightly concerned at some of the reviews

I needn't have worried. The apartment was spacious, had good views of the sea, from a large balcony. It was spotless and cleaners came in five days during the week. The apartment is quite equipped.

There is an open plan lounge and kitchen area. As other reviewers have said, it had an old tv with few channels but this didn't bother me. The sofa bed and easy chairs were a bit past it but due to excellent weather, I used balcony much more than the lounge area.

The reception staff were courteous. I complained about the vacuuming of the pool area during late morning. This is very loud, an industrial cleaner and everyone was unhappy about it. After a bit of discussion, the maintenance manager reluctantly stopped it and rearranged the cleaning for a time when the pool was mot in use.

Both pools are clean and maintained daily. There were plenty of sunbeds. It was fairly quiet when I was there.

I only ate lunch a couple of times there, so couldn't really comment much on the food but what I had was fine. It's not gourmet food!

I really enjoyed my stayat Tropical Park and decided to extend my stay for a second week. Callao Salvaje is a quiet resort, which suited me. The new beach opened while I was there and looks pretty good.

I would certainly be happy to return to Tropical Park.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Fifeali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed here feb 2012 whilst we were staying at this hotel we had our lap top solen from the room the hotel staff were not helpfull and the police said that it looks like an inside job as there was no break in and every thing was put back neatly we could not claim on our ins as they said there was no forced entry and the hotel would not help this spoilt our holiday.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kenrackett
Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We are very happy with this resort
Remember to rent a safe as you can be robbed.which is expensive here to other resort but cheaper than being robbed.
Lock up your laptops and other stuff.
Don't riun a holiday for the cost of a safe.
The service is great if anything is broken ring reception during the day and it is fixed stright away.
The food by the pool is good and if you like alot of food the buffet stye meals are good value at about E15 + tax + tip

The sie could keep you here as the have a Supermarket and the main bus stop is at the end of the block with buses every hour to Los Christinos etc.
There is a Taxi rank near the bus stop with taxi's most of the time Adaje is E12 + tip Airport E35 or book it at the resort for E28 each way with Thomas.
I am doing this on their web site which cost you E25 a week to use which I wish was free like most places now.

There is no air con as it show they have it but as you have a sea breaze it does not get hot
I turned my back on the sun and was burnt so beware when there are any clouds whatch out.
Kitchen Very Basic freezer not very good in the fridge
so ice cream melts.
very clean good maid service they keep it clean.
plenty of sun beds none in appartment like most places

lifeguard on duty during the day
pools are clean
children entertainer
pool tables
bring your own darts in suitcase only
saturday welcome party 11am to tell you what goes on here and ask any questions
We plan to come back again and it's a place you can sty for 3 week stays or longer speak to thomas.
have a good stay most type of food around here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gillian W
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We've just returned from a self catering holiday to Tropical Park.
The apartments are very spacious, well equipped and clean.
They are a little dated and could do with some tlc but it was fine.
There is no air con but we were never too hot in the apartment, even though it hit 40 degrees at times.
The pool area is excellent, clean and there are plenty of sun beds.
You have to rent out parasols though, which costs 2 euros a week, with a 30 euro refundable deposit.
We used the Paradise dive centre while we were here, they were professional and friendly, and the charges were reasonable.
We would happily go back to Tropical Park , it is well situated in the resort, and we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tinmanjnr
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed one week in May 2012 and was absolutely happy with everything. Room and all areas were clean, maid service excellent, staff very professional, efficient, kind and helpful. The village was quiet and safe to walk around at night. It is on a bus line, so access to Las Americas or Los Gigantes or any other popular beach is easy and cheap, bus stop was just around the corner from the hotel.
Apartment was spacious for one person, with a beautiful balcony facing east.

Hotel is just few minutes walk from shops and restaurants, but far enough that you not hear any noise from them.
I enjoyed the stay very much and will definitely come again.

Room Tip: All apartments are facing the poolside and have a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jana S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed tropical Park in April 2012 and I will never stay there again. We arrived and the apartment was a bit run down but nice. the food was ok depending on what chef was working. Four days in to our holiday our room was broken in to and all of our money taken in a 10 min window. We couldn't believe it. When we told the lady on reseption she didn't cear she just said I'll call the police. I asked her dose this happen often she said "yes but it's a poor country". When the police came I found out the the person that robbed us also tried to clime in to the couples flat down stairs, wile the lady was getting changed. Then he has the cheek to knock the door and pretend to be a member of staff. The police showed us how the guy got in to our apartment with no problem. The hotel didnt even offer us anything. I asked could she give me the wifi so I could get in touch with home using my phone and ill give her the six euros when i get money ,she said no . She gave me 1 euro so I could use the computer for five min. As the time had run out before I had finished I ask for another euro and she told me no. " go and ask the gest by the pool" omg
So I did only to find out from people that live there that this dose happen all the time and it's a inside job. The manager was just as bad as the rest of the staff. DON'T STAY HERE

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Iola J
Lancashire
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We went to Callao Salvaje at Christmas, so we knew the resort was quieter than Las Americas etc but that's how we like it.
After going at Christmas we came across the Tropical Park and thought we would give it a try, and we weren't disappointed. We were there over Easter and although there were quite a few Spanish there for the weekend, there was no issues with sunloungers etc.
We arrived at the apartments and greeted by a lovely young lady on reception who gave us our keycard and told us where our room was. It is only low level, 4 floors in total and all the ground floors are accessable by lifts and ramps for wheel chair users, there are no lifts to the other floors (which didn't bother us).
The apartments were big, well decorated and fully equipped, very homely! Each apartment has it's own balcony (ours over looked the tennis court with views to the sea) with table and chairs and sun canopy, and everything in the kitchen you could imagine including kitchen roll, tea towels and scourers plus all the usual and more.
There is a young lady that entertains the children (Valentina) from about 10.30 to 2.30pm, then she is back for the kids disco at 7.30pm (a proper time for a disco. So many times when our boy was young the disco didn't start until 9pm or later). then after this was the usal entertainment, Flamenco dancers, parrot shows etc.
The apartments have a bar, snack bar and restaurant which were reasonable (although we didn't use the restaurant).
There was also a gym, sauna, jacuzzi and squash courts and an excellent scuba diving centre (run independently).
Whilst we were there we found that about half of the apartments are time share, but at no time were we approached or hassled.

As stated above, this is a small quiet resort with only about 5 hotels/apartment blocks, the majority is residencial with a lot of ex-pats. Both times we have been we have found the people friendly and it's a resort were you feel safe.
There are quite a few bars and eating places all at relatively cheap prices, a pint of lager for 1.50 euros, meals for about 5 or 6 euros.
We had a car which is handy to explore the island, if you get a taxi to las Americas you are looking at about 16 euros each way although there is a bust stop with regular buses in the resort.
On the whole I would definately return to the aprtments and the resort, we love it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
Pearly Grey Ocean Club
Pearly Grey Ocean Club
#1 of 5 in Callao Salvaje

Been to Tropical Park Hotel? Share your experiences!