“Cheap and cheerful”
Review of Playamar

Playamar
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in S'illot
Reviewed March 22, 2013

For two students on a budget this was a great hotel. For the price of a hostel we got a private room and bathroom. It was plain and simple, no air conditioning (but a great big fan if you ask for one which did the job) the walls are thin...but it was clean, friendly and right beside the beach. A lot of great restaurants and bars nearby. We took the free bus to the zoo which was a good day out. The town is a lovely wee fishing village with tacky shops and lively bars. The seafood is caught fresh and is delicious.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Anneypat

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I went for a week last May as a last minute getaway. We booked through bookable holidays and paid just under 700 for all inclusive for 2 adults for 7 days. What they do not tell you is that during your stay (providing you wearing a blue wristband for all inclusive) you have access to 5 other hotels around s'illot. We found that eating breakfast in Playa Blanca was a lot less crowded and a lot more on offer. The pool and outside area was a little more upmarket too. But going back to the actual hotel we stayed in, it was spotlessly clean. Our room was basic but had everything you needed for a comfortable night's sleep. We had a room facing the pool area so it was pretty quiet and we had no problems with noise. We never bothered to hire a car either as the buses run frequently and are pretty cheap for a day ticket. Carla bona is a lovely place to visit. As is sa coma. s'illot itself is very family friendly. It's completely flat and has wide pavements (so easy access
For buggys and wheelchair users) they clean the beach every night and there are plenty of restaurants and bars to visit.
For everyone that is moaning about the slight niggles don't listen as at the end of the day you get what you pay for. The hotel doesn't claim to be five star. Cleanliness is the most important thing to me and it had no issues like that. The staff were rushed off their feet but very happy to help all the time. The only thing I would say is that there is no entertainment in the evening (unless you enjoy a VERY quiet and long game of bingo!)

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lulu8847
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Its was a few years ago i went here but thought being a travel consultant myself hotels need real life reviews. Too many people want to pay nothing and get everything. The more you pay the better you get. Whats more important the cost or the quality??
This hotel is absolutely fine if its just a cheap getaway. Its not the best and its not the worst. I stayed half board. The food could be better and have more choice but im not a fussy eater and i didnt pay alot for it. It provided me with a bed and some sun and thats all i wanted. It did the job. The pool area is a nice size and my room was clean. I was with my then husband and small child. My child was happy in the pool all day so i was happy also. We had a pool view room and quite a few mozzies but you can easily get this anywhere where there is water. I would advise maybe not a pool view for this reason. So if your looking for a cheap getaway for some sun and a bed for the night then dont listen to some of the terrible reviews. Although anyone can have a bad experience anywhere

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank catherined78
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We travelled in August 2012 with our 3 kids aged 13, 9 and 7. Booked last minute and paid just under £1600 for all inclusive with transfers through Ice Lolly. Was a bit sceptical after reading reviews in fact I was in tears the night before we went but shouldn't have worried as we had a great time. I would ask for an Apartment when you arrive though, larger with a full kitchen, big wardrobes and a fridge and air con, nice balcony, clean towels and bedding every day. Didnt use the bath, just quick showers for us, bathroom fine. Food - strict meal times but we didn't go hungry, kids a bit fussy but to be honest it worked out well, I don't think they have ever eaten so much salad! The staff were all friendly and early in morning they were out cleaning the pool and mopping the pool-sides etc. Bar staff great, especially Tony. Good selection of alcoholic drinks and kids cocktails, plastic cups but not a problem for what you pay, we just stocked up and took them up to our room to enjoy on the balcony when the kids had fell asleep! A lot of people were intent on complaining about everything and we felt a bit sorry for the staff, this hotel was probably brochure worthy in the 70's or 80's but what do people expect nowadays for the price paid. Area around hotel beautiful, beaches lovely and ideal for kids, nice walks, nice little shops and restaurants. Ten minute picturesque walk along the front to Sa Coma where the kids really enjoyed the trampolines with mini bungee jumps and electric scooter hire. We have stayed in some amazing 4 star hotels all over the world, including Disney hotels, so honestly if you are feeling the pinch and just want time away with your family and are not the type to sit drinking and complaining all day and night then this hotel is absolutely fine, you just need to make the best of it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
15  Thank jo s
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Food was nice , rooms acceptable , bathroom totally unacceptable , because it was an apartment in.the hotel I was sharing with my wife and stepdaughters , the water in the bath wouldn't drain away after showers so by the time I got in I was ankle deep in everyone else's water , said it all when.there was a plunger at the side of the bath , on asking for a fan at reception I was given a dose of abuse about how us English expect everything for nothing , bad enough but really insulting as I'm scottish

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank followfollow1
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Playamar with my mum and my two girls aged 7 & 8. We were very fortunate as we had a corner apartment and it was very spacious and spotlessly clean. My girls loved the pools. The food was ok, drinks were served in plastic cups and there wasn't any diet drinks, my mum is diabetic so when I spoke to the man at the reception desk he went and got the owner, once I explained to her she was fantastic and told me my mum could have diet coke. Every time we saw the owner she was always very polite and very helpful as was the man behind the reception. On the day of our departure we wasn't being collected until midnight by the coach company so I asked the owner if she had a room we would be able to use. We was given a room to use in the hotel. This room was small but still very clean. The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful to my family you just need to speak with them the way you expect to be spoken too and use manners. Perfect location.

• Stayed: July 2012
15  Thank Namloop
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Last minute bargain, we thought.....Self Catering, first time we hadnt taken the kettle {assume you get one of those in a self catering apartment} NO KETTLE. No plug for the bath, took three days for them to get us one. No aerial on the tv.....have to pay for it. Good job the weather was unusually hot for the time of year.....we spent most of our time on the beach, which was only a two minute walk away. Apartment spacious, if a little dated, maids very noisy, slamming doors etc, shouting to each other very early in the morning, when they cleaned the room it was a "cats lick", only difference we noticed is that they made the beds! Evening entertainment consisted of large speakers by the pool playing extremely loud music until quite late, good job we didnt have any kiddies with us. Would not go to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Not facing the pool, and take mosquito spray with you.