“Not for me”
Review of Playamar

Playamar
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in S'illot
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Firstly the good things. Staff were friendly and helpful. Tony and his son in the downstairs pool bar are terrific and made our holiday.Apartment was fine for our needs,good supply of toilet rolls and clean towels. Apartment cleaned most days.
Dont know about the food as we never ate in the restaurants.
Downside, Kitchen not well equipped for self catering, although we managed to do a couple of meals. Mosquitos are a real problem, the place is infested, and we got bitten to pieces. Spent over £30 on creams, sprays etc, but made no difference.
If your idea of a good holiday is to get drunk from ten in the morning onwards,then this is for you.
If you dont want to be surrounded by clinically obese, tattooed, ill mannered people with fags welded to their mouths, shouting and yelling across the complex, accompanied by their uncontrolled screaming kids running amok at all hours of the day and night, then avoid these apartments like the plague.

Room Tip: We had apartment 1 i. Pool view but disco right outside bedroom window, and I mean right outside, a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 6, 2012

On arrival the hotel playa mar looks quite nice from the outside' however on the inside its a very old style hotel' with miles of thin corridors small room's also with a very old feel. The add said sea view' well it didn't lie you could see the sea just a small slice through the other hotels' having said that we found the hotel very clean and on the whole friendly staff.The food we found a bit bland and repeated regally' we ate out most nights.The grounds and pool were nice and clean but the same cant be said for the sun beds' they were in very poor condition most of them broken.The hotel is in a great position for the beach shops and restaurant's on the whole an ok holiday for what we paid' don't expect a palace because this defiantly isn't' but its not palace price either' the worst thing i found was no air con as it was very hot when we were there, the hotel did supplied fans

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was worried after reading the bad reviews but it meant I went out without realistic expectations. I travelled with my husband and 2 1/2 year old son on 23rd September. We had an apartment which had a separate bedroom and a cot was provided in case we needed it. The apartment was clean and functional with a view over the pool, could also see the bridge by the beach through the palm trees. The cupboard doors were a little loose but overall the decoration was fine and we had no problems and no reason to complain. Considering the price and that it is a two/three star hotel you can't expect the Ritz!

We went all inclusive and the food was fine, there was always plenty of choice and plenty available with something different every day. We ate out one night to experience some local food and sangria. My only complaint was that there was only a two slice toaster so at breakfast there was a long queue for toast as people would get 6 slices of toast at a time!

The pool bar provided a range of drinks, whilst you had to go up regularly as the plastic glasses were small it didn't matter as the drinks were free and there was never a big queue. The staff in the pool bar were helpful and friendly. The main pool was really nice and great for children, we didn't need to use the second pool. The hotel, grounds and pool were cleaned daily. Our transfer wasn't until 7pm but the hotel let us store our cases after we'd checked out.

We were there for four nights and whilst we were there they put on entertainment on two nights, a Spanish dancer performed one night and then there was a karaoke night. Both were held by the pool in the evening. We watched from the balcony as our son was in bed, it was fun but the music was very loud.

The location of the hotel was great, just a minutes walk to S'illot beach and it was only a short walk to Sa Coma which also had a lovely beach. We took the opportunity to explore rather than sit by the pool everyday. There is a lovely walk around the coast from S'illot in the direction of Porto Crista which had some gorgeous coves. In the other direction past Sa Coma is the Punta de'Amer which is a nature reserve. I would recommend the walk up the the fort, there is a cafe there, a talking parrot and fantastic panoramic views. Take water with you though as it is a long hot walk, we took a buggy and it was ok with that.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday. If you wanted to be a complainer you could look and probably find things to moan about but I would personally much rather just enjoy my holiday! If you want a very good value holiday, in a sunny, family friendly location then I would definitely recommend the Playamar. For a family of three all inclusive, flights, transfers etc all for £617 you cannot go wrong! If you don't like it you need to consider increasing your budget to a four or five star hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I returned from this hotel this week and after reading the reviews i was not looking forward to going.
I was pleasantly surprosed when we arrived, clean room (all though not the biggest of rooms) but you only sleep and get ready.
The breakfast was fine, there is on;y so much you can do for breakfast, lunch was ok we never went for dinner as we decided before going to eat out.
We did venture to the sister hotel Playa Blanca which has a better pool, more range of drinks and food is of better quality.
I would recommend lots of mosquito repellant as i have 86 bites but my partner had none!
The drinks were great for us as we made the most of the all inclusive.
For the price we cannot complane and S'illot is a nice area to visit.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the Apartment area instead of the hotel as the rooms are larger with a small kitchene...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kimlmason3
Reviewed October 4, 2012

the only good thing was the location if you came away without a moscito bite or any other bites you were lucky the room had no air conditioning the food was terrible i had chips and mashed potato one meal that was the best on the menu the all inclusive was non existant the staff was rude tables were never cleared and rooms were broken into luckily my friends and i were only on a 3 day break please dont go to this hotel especially with children

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank susan s
Reviewed October 2, 2012

this is abasic 2 star hotel we paid in total 260 for a week all inc rooms where ok drinks ok but no wine or lemonade for 2 days food ok but was never hot enough ima chef and this should never happen also staff just kept piling food on top of half food dishes again another bad practise this hotel has ca sister hotel playa blanca that your aloud to use but not told about rooms nicer and food is hot overall a basic hotel for alow price 180 for 1 week next may 2013 u cant moan at that sort of price ok

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Again after reading some reviews on here - I feel they have been a little harsh - this prompting my first review!
The mosquitos are natures way of saying take sprays and plug ins!
I did not get stung once - until I got to Palma airport where I got my first on the way home.
The staff were very accomadating with us and catered to our requests. These being a fan & a new room due to a broken lock.
Bar staff were very generous on the spirit measures - drinks of which you can get more than 1 at a time. As for the plastic cups - I think this is a must around the pool with the bar being next to the childrens pool so no complaints from me.
The pools were clean - plenty of sunbeds (quite a lot do not have the option of sitting up right but no massive issue for sun worshippers).
I went all inclusive - my first time - I didnt feel too tied down to the timings - good selection of food too. Not entirely sure why its got a bad review - I can only put it down to greed.
Fresh salads, different hot/cold pasta options everyday, chicken, pork, beef, fish, shell fish, roast potatoes, soups, sauces & dressings. Good selection of desserts too.
Breakfast had more than enough options - hot and cold foods. Fresh pastries & fruit.
If I had to suggest something it would be labelling what the food is - a few uneducated guesses at food by other guests had me in stitches!
The hotel is in a great location, being next to a Historical Monument/Memorial 'Poblado Talayótico de S'Illot'. This has information boards all around it - doesnt first give the impression of being anything of importance but is an interesting read. (Previous posts say "Rocks").
The most popular local bars are in 1-3 minutes walk away - Olimpic Show being the best for entertainment - with kareoke following afterwards.
Hotel entertainment was few and far between - but it was good to have a walk out after dinner and not stay in all the time.
S'illot beach is approx 3 minute walk from the hotel - Sa Coma being about a 5 minute walk. Sa Coma has a lot more going on. Lots of shops (spoilt for choice really) - a horse ranch, a castle and a gorgeous beach.
Overall Id say this was an ideal hotel for someone who doesnt want to stay in the hotel 24/7 - enjoys walks out and day trips.
Value for money - good.
Staff - good.
Food - good.

Room Tip: Ask for a fan - the rooms can be quite warm towards and through the night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rodeo087
Also consider these accommodations in or near S'illot
Playa Moreia Apartments
HM Martinique
HM Martinique
#18 of 28 in Magaluf
Appartamentos Club Sa Coma

Been to Playamar? Share your experiences!