“A Wonderful Place to Relax and Recharge”

Marina Bay Hotel Apartments
Ranked #4 of 32 Specialty Lodging in Skala
Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Place to Relax and Recharge”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Like so many reviews this place is very good. The rooms are large and very clean, the grounds and view are amazing and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. You can feel alone on the beach which is a rarity and it nothing short of amazing.

However a previous review has hit the nail on the head when they say that the owners are missing a trick here to provide something exceptional. It would be so easy to fix and initially and that fix is the food. I'm sorry to say it as the chef Spiros is very friendly and does everything he can to accomadate everyone but the food is not up to standard when compared to what is available in Skala and Ketelios, it's also more expensive.
They should have a captive audience as the location is amazing but because of the sub standard food all the guests eat in Skala, I for one would have loved to have eaten at the hotel more often but always felt I was missing out when I did and being slightly ripped off. I know that sounds harsh but you'll see what I mean when you go. And go you should it is a fantastic hotel to stay in to relax.

Best eat out place we found was The Old Village, the food and service is nothing short of exceptional.

So to sum the Marina Bay Hotel up I would say a wonderful hotel to relax and remind yourself what life should be about and a great place to use as a base to explore the island.

We will be going back next year, maybe even twice :)

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views but stay off the ground floor if you like to run around your room naked aft...
2 Thank kickmydog

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just got back from Kefalonia, stayed at The Marina Bay. It is a friendly and welcoming place to go, staff are warm and helpful. Special thanks to Spiro the chef, always cheerful.
Rooms are big and clean, sheets and towels changed regularly. All rooms overlook the beautiful beach.
I would not hesitate to stay here again, a real gem.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just got back from a fantastic relaxing break. It was our 2nd trip to Kefalonia, the weather was great (except for a thunderstorm one evening). Having read some of the reviews before we went I was a little apprehensive. There was no need to be the hotel is fantastic and in an idyllic location. It was nice to have a double bed instead of the usual twin beds, but they were very hard! (I know mattresses are a very personal thing). A special thank you goes to Spiros and Angela who were fantastic. The breakfast was adequate especially considering the price we paid for the 11 days!.Wwill be going back next year.

Room Tip: we had one of the rooms above the bar, and it was v. quiet and huge!
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at Marina Bay the last week of September. The staff were very friendly & helpful. The rooms were clean and a good size. The owner has obviously noted previous reviews and has provided pots, pans & plates in the kitchenette. Not that you'll be wanting to cook! Skala is €6 in a cab, which the staff will happily arrange for you, and you'll find plenty of good quality restaurants there. Our average restaurant bill for 2 was around €40 inc drinks. (We're piggies) There is a taverna near the Marina Bay, but aside from that you're pretty much isolated. If you're intrepid explorers you'll need to hire a car to get around, but we were far too lazy for that. The pool was clean and the beach was only 100 yards away. We took wet shoes for the beach but I'm not sure that they were entirely necessary. If you do need some they're about €5 from the on site supermarket. My only advice when booking your transfer would be to get a cab. It takes about 45 mins. I spoke to people there that spent over 2 hours on the coach. If you book through Sun Transfers it's only €10 extra than coach. I read previous reviews on here that there's only steep access to Marina Bay which worried me to death prior to going. However, I still couldn't find the "steep access" despite searching for a week. Maybe this is something else the owner has sorted out? Breakfast at Marina Bay is basic. Cereal, toast, jam. They also provide cheese & ham and cake! If you're looking for 5 * luxury the Marina Bay isn't for you. But if you want somewhere that has spectacular views & scenery, that is clean & quiet, where you're looking to relax, then this perfect. We'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed September 2013
Lancashire
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I chose this little apartment complex after viewing the trip advisor reviews about it, they were so helpful and accurate that I felt compelled to add my own too.
This was my first time to Kefalonia, I went with my husband and some friends.
This wonderful little apartment complex, has stunning views of Mounda beach, which all rooms enjoy. The hotel is very clean and well maintained with good facilities, such as the rooms pool, gardens, beach and restaurant/bar. We have just returned from our Trip and we were astounded with the amount of free sunbeds around the pool, gardens and beach, (beach loungers are free to hotel guests), although loungers on the beach are just a little worn.
To be fair I was looking for a peaceful relaxing time and that is exactly what I got. The complex is a little bit remote. Car hire is not essential, but an option..
A short walk up the road/beach we found a tavern and it was the only neighbour we found, but the food was just lovely. Don't be put off though, a cheap 6 euro taxi brings you to the centre of Skala for just a little more bustle and choice. Or the wonderful Katelios in the other direction. Little fishing village restaraunts by the sea, wow!!.
Spiro's (my best friend in the whole seven islands) the chef, was always of good humour, and his food was excellent, he is limited in ability to extend his excellent culinary skills, as he works so hard all day with obviously limited resources, We did enjoy some delicious meals in the restaurant there all the same. The managers were generous and warm people, and everyone worked so hard to make our holiday enjoyable. Nothing was too much.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and we would definitely go back again next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Sharon R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I went here with a friend for a week. We chose it from the photos and the price, the price was brilliant for what you get, a large room with a gorgeous view and a little balcony to enjoy the view from. The hotel was clean through out and the pool was sparkling.

The breakfast became a bit mundane after the 3rd day but for the price we paid you really cannot complain and toast, with egg, ham, cheese or jam is quiet sufficient or you can choose cereal or rice pudding ( a bit luke warm and not nice in my opinion)

The staff work incredibly hard and work around the clock and yes some of them do not speak English but then many places in the UK do not speak Greek. The famous Spiros did his best and may have been a bit over friendly but he was harmless and tried hard, although we only ate there once as the food was ok but there are so many other restaurants that we tried a new one every night.

We stayed for the Greek Night (kind of felt obliged) and we told there would be a 3 course meal, turned up as 3 courses on one piled high plate and was rather daunting. They had dancing and plate breaking which was all part of the experience, although may give it a miss next time, and we will be going again because even with these minor faults I absolutely loved this place.

It is so quiet as it is away from any where, we hired a car so drove into Skala every evening, or walked along the beach during the day to Katelios to some more amazing restaurants on the beach.

You will not be disappointed just do not expect gourmet food and 5 star standard, but cleanliness, beauty and relaxation is what you will get.

Room Tip: If I had taken my kids I would have opted for a ground floor in the 2 buildings next to the main bui...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We visited the Marina Bay for the third time in August this year. The hotel is small and clean and the staff are friendly. The location is idyllic. We were sorry that some of ;the friendly faces had gone, Mallou's cheerful face was misssed in the restaurant and the Bar had no atmosphere with the departure of the lovely Pannayota. Thank goodness Spiros was still there to welcome us. I am shocked by some of the caustic comments made towards Spiros the chef; he is a wonderful friendly individual with a heart of gold and certainly made each visit we had that extra bit special. I cannot agree with the comments made about the food served at the restaurant; our experience, which were many, were of tasty well cooked food and good value for money. I would agree with the comment made below about the fantastic breakfast which was a bonus at a 3 star hotel; and I would suggest that people who expect a 5 star experience pay the extra money for a 5 star hotel. We will certainly return, continue to eat the food Spiros provides, and enjoy the whole experience Marina Bay provides.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MisterB123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Porto Skala Hotel & Village
#7 of 23 in Skala
Hotel Summery
Hotel Summery
#2 of 11 in Lixouri

Been to Marina Bay Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!