“Plenty of reasons to stay at Porto Skala!”

Porto Skala Hotel & Village
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Reviewed November 2, 2012

If you do like what I like or if you don't like what I don't like, then be there!
It was my second visit at Porto skala hotel and definitely not the last as
I like a nice colourful and price-worthy hotel
I don't like to spend a fortune for no reason
I like good services with a personal touch
I don't like self catering or stressful places
I like a hotel where I can keep my self identity
I like friendly and polite hotel staff
I don't like huge factory hotels or one block buildings with no character
I like a tranquille hotel to relax
I don't like noisy hotels near the centre
I like when a hotel respects the environment
I like to have view to the sea from my room during the day and view to the moon during the night
I don't like any other view than sea view for my holidays
I like Greek cuisine especially when food is healthy and freshly cooked
I don't like hotels with catering food pretending to be freshly cooked!
I like swimming and snorkelling in limpid sea waters in the morning that only a pebble beach can give and then relax with my friends by a great pool or at the nearby sandy beach all day.
I don't like poky pools or bathtubs called "pools"!
I like spending my holidays in a green island with hundreds of beautiful long beaches, tasting healthy Mediterranean food and meeting nice friendly people in a family environment.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marie T

Reviewed October 22, 2012

our holiday was a mixed bag.kefalonia is beyond beautiful.the view from our balcony was breathtaking and i actually felt tearful having to leave it!we did two boat trips which were fab but the hotel itself was a let down.
it is understaffed.reception are lovely but they are up against it.
there werent enough sunbeds some days & each one i sat on was broken.
the all inclusive is anything but..you arent given a wrist band and there is confusion here..you never feel welcome at either of the bars..the alcohol is poor and the service terrible.a lot of times there wasnt anyone at the bar to serve you and when they materialise they dont have a clue what your asking for or where it is.all inc finished at 10 which is not condusive to a holiday atmosphere.there are times of day when you cant get a drink or anything to eat at all.we saw the girl at the pool bar get pretty cross with a couple who had ordered some drinks..she made them sign for them..they said do you realize we are all inc..?she said they should have told her before they signed and now it was a big problem for her because they hadnt let her know.they said they would let her know next time..she said they wouldnt have to because she always remembers..they said you served us yesterday and the same thing happened!it was really awkward.i dont know why they dont just give you a band.
the general atmosphere is very low.you feel that the hotel managment foster a belief in their staff that the all incs are to be allowed as little as possible..
the food is lame.a constant source of disappointment.maria the chef put cinnamon in EVERYTHING!sweet or savoury.we were sick of it by day 3.she visits each table every night for praise..its embarassing..
our first room was a big disappointment..no sea view..we were behind the reception block..the fixtures and fittings were very old and tatty.we upgraded to a sea view and although we shouldnt have had to do this..it was money well spent.the view was outstanding and the fixtures/fitting of a much higher standard.
there was no entertainment at all..not poolside or in the evening..which i think they lead you to believe there is in their advertising..
the maid service is good.
the grounds are lovely..its like a small village..
the pool is nice.
the small beaches at the bottom of the cliffs all around are just wonderfull..often you will be the only ones there..
i heart kefalonia.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank candfkent
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife Julie and I spend 7 nights in Porto Skala hotel. We were advised from our local tourist agent that the hotel was not in front of the beach. That was only 10 min walk and with a massive pool, so no worries! The staff was friendly and our room always cleaned on time. Spend a few nights at the hotel bar and we met 2 more couples from Oxford. We really had a great time with bartender Nikos being fantastic and prices were sensibly priced. !

Room Tip: Ask for roon 12 to avoid noise from the pool
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had always wanted to visit Kefalonia and having checked through a few all inclusive hotels this one sounded ideal. A month before arrival I received an email from our travel provider advising of steep steps to the beach and men must wear trousers for the evening meal. We agreed this was fine and continued to look forward to our one week break in late Aug 2012, myself, husband & eight year old son. We arrived at the hotel which was accessable by a long flight of steps (not ideal with luggage) at 4.00 pm. On check in we asked if snacks where available as we had last eaten on our flight 5 hours previous. The receptionist told us that we could get a snack from the pool snack bar. We then took our luggage to the room and made our way to the bar. On doing so we where told that snacks finished at 3.30 pm the next time for food was at 7.30. We went back to our room thinking their would probably be some tea/coffee maybe small packet of snacks there but no. Our room had a fridge, kettle, cups and saucers - no tea, coffee, milk or even a bottle of water in the fridge! The room was extremley dated and the bathroom was practically antique even included a half painted door (undercoat only). The best part of the room was the air conditioning! At 7.30 pm we made our way to the restaurant for our evening meal, my husband dressed as instructed in long trousers, only to find other men dining in shorts and vest tops. The main restaurant had 3-4 buffet style food serving counters.The salad bar was a refrigerated unit which expelled hot air from underneath making an already hot evening hotter. None of the food was covered, we even saw the head chef (Maria) wafting flies off the food.The food was very samey all through our stay and no provision was made for childrens taste. There was a long list of hotel rules given to us on arrival, one rule being all pets to be kept off public areas. One family had a Jack Russel dog, continuously barking and even sunbathing by the pool. At one time the owners took the dog for a walk, taking it to the childrens play area where it immediately urinated on the sand in the area! Lovely to see toddlers playing in there! Our 'all inclusive' (I use the term loosley!) package at this hotel was very limited between allocated times, there was no entertainment what so ever. If I'd have stayed at this hotel for two weeks instead of one I would have gone insane with boredom! This hotel would have been fine if I had paid half the price, I'd think to myself 'well, you get what you pay for' but we didnt, the cost was scandalous for the hotel and service received, everything was done on the cheap at this hotel. My advice for anyone thinking of staying at this hotel is 'don't do it!!' Steer clear of the Porto Skala Hotel And Village resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Caz526
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for a week, all inclusive. The room was decent and well kept by the cleaning staff. The set up is quaint but a 45 - 50 minute walk from Skala.
The staff were friendly but did work very long hours. The food in my opinion was what really let the hotel down. On the final three days of our holiday, lunch was not even served in the dining area, we had to make do with a toastie! Dinner was always stone cold and I am unsure how the hotel hasn't addressed this problem as it clearly needs some kind of refurbishment to enable heading food etc. We ended up eating out towards the end of the holiday as dinner times are meant to be something to look forward to whilst away, not dread!

1  Thank Donna1988
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is not a four star hotel by any means.The plus points are the room was clean with the sheets changed frequently and clean towels also. We had a sea view which was fantastic. The bathroom was fine with a shower screen , great for Greece !
The not so good points is the food. Breakfast was 8-10 , if you missed this you could not get anything at all until 11 30 not even a drink of water. The snack bar was very tired , with only toasties and chips but the menu had more choice. Lunch was very hit and miss salad, or leftovers from the night before. Dinner was much the same as lunch. A microwave was provided for dinner as the food was always cold. Nothing was ever thrown away , all food was "recycled" until it was used.
I am one of the least fussy eaters that I know and I struggled with the food. Lunch and dinner are 12 and 15 euros for half board I was all inclusive , and would say that the food was worth about 4 - 5 euros at a push.
The all inclusive drinks package finished at 10pm plus tonic water is not available!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is really appalling in almost every respect. It is dated and completely lacking in any sort of routine maintenance. The food is absolutely terrible, the worst I have ever had. Poor choice and even poorer quality. Virtually every single sun lounger around the pool is broken. The All inclusive has so many exclusions that it is really not worthwhile at all. Drinks are local and awful. The hotel is a understaffed and those staff that are there have no interest in giving the guest any acceptable degree of service. The whole place is a disgrace. Kefalonia is beautiful and we will go back again. We will not however ever stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
#7 of 11 in Lixouri
Hotel Skala
Hotel Skala
#20 of 23 in Skala

Been to Porto Skala Hotel & Village? Share your experiences!