San Giorgio
Porto Skala Hotel & Village(Skala)(Great Value!)
$69
$157
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,218 results
All reviewssnack barevery half hourplastic cupsfree busbeansquiet poollovely hotelkaraoke nightair conthomson repshotel minibusplenty of sunbedspools are greathired a carcourtesy bus into skalagreek nighthotel restaurant
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Brilliant for anyone who loves a hill climb who needs a gym when you can hike up a cliff it's a lovely complex set in a fantastic location with breathtaking views. There is so much to do I have fond memories of the pool table, lovely swimming pools. The staff are absolutely brilliant nod go out of their way to give you the best holiday experience the evening meals are fantastic but luckily I have had my mum and dad to pay for dinner haha the food is brilliant and worth it. It's one of those places you stay once and you have the urge to go back well 7 years later I'm still going. I get to relax and burn off the calories it's a win win

Room Tip: They are all good rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank josh1995
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel and the package we had with Thompsons. The hotel is a lovely 35-40 minute walk into Skala town centre; it's a safe well lit walk with several bars on the way. If you can't face the walk in the heat it's 5 euros in the taxi though be aware that taxis can be hard to get on transfer evenings. There are a few restaurants and bars close. We particularly enjoyed Old Times. You can also walk to the small local beach but that is very stony.

We had an apartment which was very spacious and had lots of storage. The kitchen was well equipped with a kettle and large fridge/freezer. The restaurant in the hotel was very good. Breakfast is busy. We never had trouble getting a table but there isn't much space to collect the food. The breakfast was basic but more than ample. The snack bar was good for lunch and drinks.We never had any difficulty getting a sunbed even when we turned up later in the day.

Free wifi in reception; though not always reliable.

You need to be fit to have one of the higher rooms, particularly in the heat of the summer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank dmw65
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed a week last August at San Giorgio with my partner.
We had a very nice time, it was really relaxing.
The hotel is run by a family business, we spoke regularly to Spiro, the restaurant manager
He was always nice and polite, spoke good fluent english.
We stayed as a couple, there were lots of families with kids, it didn't really bother us.
The hotel provides everything you need: bar by the pool, a little grocery shop, a cafetaria by the pool, a restaurant, wc.
The hotel is a little bit away from the town skala but the staff provides a shuttle bus transfer every hour, You just need to book it in advance to make sure you have space.
The cafetaria next to the swimming pool at the back makes a lovely greek chicken kebab, I really enjoyed it while I was staying by the pool sometimes. The wasps loved that too unfortunately..be aware!
They also do happy hour cocktails during the day and evening if you fancy one.
If you really love cocktails, we found a cool cocktail bar in Skala called Captains Gallery or Captains Bar. We saw lots of pictures of Simon Pegg there, apparently he loves to hang out here. Shame we missed him that time.
Finally, it has nothing to do with the hotel but if you are booked with Thomson and you fancy doing a tour of the island I wont recommend Thomson island tour day.
We booked it because we thought we would be doing a lot of activities during the day, I fell we got misled by the representative who sold us the tickets. £40 for a bus tour is a bit expensive as we had to pay extra for lunch (not really had choice on the place where we had lunch too due to timing..), entries to caves and others..
But overall, it's been a great experience. Love Skala :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nutty_Squirrel678
Reviewed October 29, 2013

What can I say.. this hotel means so much to me and my little family. We first visited in 2009 when we were pregnant with our first baby then returned 2 years later with our first and second child. The staff are always happy to help and this time went beyond anything we would possibly want/need.

Far enough out of town for relaxing, but close enough journey on the free mini bus that the hotel provide. Lovely little coves just across the road if you like snorkelling or just somewhere to chill.

Although this is quite a peaceful laid back hotel, children are always welcomed by the staff, we returned this time in a group of 31, 23 adults and 8 children. At times we felt as though we took over the hotel and was a bit worried but everyone were so friendly and most of the people we spoke to like ourselves were returning for there 3rd/4th visit.

The wasps were probably the best they have ever been on this visit, the hotel seem to have these under control now, although we always preferred to take our breakfast back to our room. Our room was close to the restaurant, we had a 1 bed apartment which was worth the extra bit of money we paid. The maid service was excellent as always.

We can not thank the managers of the hotel enough for helping make our wedding day extra special. I was sent a lovely bunch of flowers from the hotel and we had a bottle of wine on arrival. The owners were fantastic too.. Our wedding day fell on a Monday which was the Karaoke. We got married in Skala town Hall, had a beautiful reception at the Old Village restaurant.. which I HIGHLY recommend for amazing Greek food and then un be known to me when we arrived back to the hotel the Owners and Managers of the hotel along with my now husband had arranged for us to do our first dance by the pool, infront of 300 guests may I add and it was magical.. almost perfect until the main Corus of our song hit and the fireworks went off ! We then carried on the rest of the night with the whole of the hotel, sharing our cake and finishing off a perfect day/night.

To sum it all up I would return every year If I could, love the hotel, love the food, Love Skala.

Room Tip: If you like a View and do not mind hills then ask for a room at the top of cardiac hill !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Carley311
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here the last week of the season with a friend and had a great time. Yes only one of the three swimming pools was open BUT for a hotel with a capacity for 340 guests there were only 22 of us on the final week of the season so I have no problem only using one pool, it was lovely and there were more than enough sun beds for all the guests!
The electricity issues we experienced slightly, BUT again the first couple of days had tremendous thunder and lightning storms with torrential rain so I wouldn't blame the hotel who were very apologetic about the weather and tried their best to make our holiday a good one.
Our room was very nice, halfway up so stunning views over the sea and not too far to walk to the restaurant. We ate there every night and thought the food was really good, a slightly limited menu as they were running down their stock but I had something different every night so not a massive trauma.
The comments about it being disappointing surprise me, first of all it was Thomson holidays who should have alerted guests to the end of the season, we checked online the day before we left to look at potential day trips and were bemused to see there didn't appear to be any. It was not the San Georgios fault, we spoke to the restaurant manager who told us other guests had tried to book the hotel that week and we're told by Thomsons the hotel was full, he was surprised and disappointed by this understandably.
Personally I loved the fact that it was really quiet, I wanted a relaxing break after a busy year and that was why I picked Kephalonia in the first place, the easy pace and lack of heaving tavernas and beaches made this holiday for me perfect. We hired a car and saw all of the island. We had Myrtos beach pretty much to ourselves an experience I will remember for a very long time. The people we met were lovely and friendly and because it was quiet had time to actually talk to us and again we felt this made the trip very special.
The hotel staff were really nice, they even ran an impromptu Greek Night for some guests who were disappointed in the lack of entertainment, everyone who went had a lovely time. Most of the guests spoke to each other everyday which for me made this a more personal holiday experience, there were so few of us we actually spent time talking to each other.
The walk to Skala is a decent walk but at an easy pace was lovely, the hotel curtesy bus was also an option so some guest used this to go out for dinner in Skala in the evenings.
All in all I couldn't fault the hotel! I had a great peaceful week, saw parts of the island you don't get on tours and came home looking forward to being able to return some time in the future, and would prefer it to be the end of the season!

Room Tip: Rooms around 300 give great views and aren't too much of a hike to restaurant and reception.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends