“Not disappointed!”

and 1 more site!
TUI Sensimar Tesoroblu Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We booked to stay here right at the end of the season as we prefer a quiet break. The previous recommendations did not let us down and we found everything to be just lovely. The staff were amazing, they were all so nice - friendly and helpful at all times. We specified that we wanted a quiet room and we were given a lovely room right at the back of the complex. To be honest, we probably didn't need it as there were not that many guests but we like to play safe! Yes, there was a bit of a walk to the main building from our room (10 mins max!) but, since this had been mentioned by many of the previous reviewers, we expected that and it really wasn't that big a deal! Anyway, we hired a car from the third day so we could nip back and forth if we needed to. I recommend hiring a car as there is a lot to explore on this lovely island and it is very easy to drive around, with not much traffic, and no major roads. As a first time driver abroad, I found it very stress free!

The food was buffet style and we both felt it had a range of hot and cold dishes to suit all with a good variety of choice. For a half board experience it was absolutely fine and we have no complaints.

It was very quiet in the hotel, being the final week so I am not sure what the evenings would be like in the height of the season but, for us, it was perfect! We spent every evening in the bar and were entertained by Ollie who provided easy listening music every evening except one. We were also treated to a really nice last evening by the Thomson reps and staff, with a quiz and dancing. Our reps were the best we have had on a Thomson holiday, to be honest, so I must mention them by name - Jamie and Tess, well done you two! And I am not someone to get very involved in this sort of thing usually so it is indeed a compliment!

The pool is beautiful and spacious and the hotel provides pool towels so you don't need to worry about packing them! We didn't use the spa but it looked lovely. Likewise we didn't book any treatments so can't comment on that.

Overall, we really enjoyed this holiday. It was slightly different from our usual sort of break, as we don't tend to go for 'flashy' hotels but this was a very stylish, comfortable, airy hotel that we would happily return to. A BIG plus for us was the absence of children!!!!!

Oh, and it's true what everyone says about the beds!! HUGE and very comfortable!

Room Tip: If you don't like walking, just ask for a room near the main building!
4  Thank Flossiefrufru

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just back from our second visit to Greece and first to Kefalonia. Stayed at the Tesoro Blu for the last seven nights of the season and have mixed feelings about the whole experience ranging from good to awful. For those who don’t know, the Tesoro Blu forms part of the Thomson Couples range and as such is an adults only hotel. The following review attempts to cover everything, of relevance, from first to last including flights, transfers, facilities, location, weather etc etc. As I’ve already stated this was the last week of the season and, as a result, some of my observations or opinions may reflect that fact. Certain things may be different in high season but I can only comment on what I found at the time, it is up to you to judge for yourselves before booking.

To begin with the outbound flight which, at the time of booking, was scheduled for 6-30am Sunday 14th October from Manchester. An early start and not much sleep was the order of the day to ensure a prompt arrival at the airport 2 hours before take-off. After queuing for a relatively short time we approached the desk and were told our flight was scheduled to depart on time at 6-55am. Obviously this didn’t agree with our documentation and I can only assume that because the difference was so minor that Thomson did not bother to inform us in advance. A small matter that made no difference to us and I only mention it for completeness.
On board our Thomson Airways B737 there were several empty seats, again due to the lateness in the season, and this gave us some extra space to enjoy for a change. My major gripe with Thomson is that someone took the decision to do away with pre-bookable in-flight meals and also in-flight entertainment on short haul services. This is a decision that, in my opinion, should be reversed as soon as possible. The food on offer, at the moment, is overpriced and of relatively poor quality and the lack of even a screen showing flight information and aircraft location is like going backwards 40 years. Anyway, rant over. The flight was uneventful and we landed in Kefalonia, in the middle of a rain shower, on time.

Formalities and luggage collection were completed swiftly and we were directed to the waiting coaches for onward travel to our hotel. The journey takes approximately 60 minutes and the scenery is spectacular, especially when travelling along the coast. In better weather conditions the views across to Zante would have been much improved. Some of the shear drops and hairpin bends are a little hair-raising but, on the whole, the journey is fairly enjoyable with the holiday representative filling us in with salient facts about the island. She did also tell us that it wasn’t raining in Skala when she left in the morning.

On arrival at the hotel my first impression was that it did not look as big as in the brochure or in any of the photographs on Tripadvisor. It certainly stood out from its surroundings and looked fairly impressive against a rapidly darkening, brooding skyline. The system of baggage handling at the hotel is good in that room number stickers are placed on your cases and they are delivered by golf buggy. This takes place while you are checking in and enjoying a welcome soft drink while taking in the surroundings and familiarising yourselves with the hotel layout. You are then invited to board one of the golf buggies for transportation to your allocated room. All in all a great system when the weather is fine but on this day the heavens opened shortly after our arrival. Consequently our luggage was soaked and so were we by the time we arrived at our room. Some of our clothes were wet inside the cases such was the ferocity of the downpour. Little did we know, at the time, that this was just a taster of what was to follow later that day. We had been allocated room 517 which, unfortunately, was in the block furthest from the main building. Quite a few of us seemed to be in apartment blocks that were the furthest possible from the main building even though most of the hotel was empty. This seemed odd to us when rooms much closer to reception were, obviously, available.

The room was beautiful, very spacious and with a sea view albeit some distance away. The advantage of being in one of the distant blocks is that they are up hill thus facilitating the aforementioned sea view. The furnishings are, as you would expect, ultra-modern and probably not to everyone’s taste but the main feature is the bed. It is huge and is, somewhat optimistically, advertised as ‘the comfiest you will ever sleep in’. Well, you won’t get any arguments from me on that score, it was fantastic. It is so big that some mornings when I awoke I couldn’t actually locate my wife. There is ample storage space in the wardrobe and additional drawers. The wardrobe area also contains the safe (free of charge), the mini-bar/fridge and the brew facilities. As has been mentioned by other reviewers, the tea, coffee, sugar etc are not replenished so it is a bit of a one-shot facility unless you provide your own replacements. There is a small complimentary bottle of water in the fridge but everything else must be paid for at typical mini-bar prices. A spirit miniature was 6 euros, a mars bar was 2 euros etc etc etc. For a time we were worrying that our first evening meal was coming from the mini-bar due to the deteriorating weather conditions. However, more on that later. The air conditioning is also free of charge and works with the balcony door open giving the chance to enjoy fresh air as well as re-cycled, cooler air. The temperature settings were somewhat limited to 22, 23 or 24 degrees centigrade. Maybe this is different in summer. There is a flat screen TV on the wall with limited English language channels and also some interactive features that we did not explore. It’s adequate if you just want to keep up with the news. Lighting options are many and varied and include tiny spotlights to aid reading in bed. A small table and 2 chairs take up one corner of the room adjacent to the balcony doors and there is also a small bedside table each side of the bed. There is not a main dresser as such, what you get is a long, wide shelf along the wall which varies in height. There is room underneath this shelf to store your suitcases once you have unpacked. An iron is supplied but it is not immediately obvious as to where any ironing can be done as there is no ironing board. Whether one is available for hire I don’t know and didn’t intend to find out. There is a full-length mirror on one wall to check if your dress is up to standard before you leave for the evening meal. I didn’t really use it, shorts and a tee shirt don’t need that much checking and I’m not really one for preening. The bathroom is large and well equipped although, as with the brew items, toiletries are not replenished. Again it’s very modern and, like a lot of the hotel in general, the phrase ‘style over substance’ comes to mind. The sink, although very modern, is of an angular design and made of plastic which results in the internal corners yellowing because they cannot be cleaned properly. There is a hairdryer and magnifying mirror mounted on one wall above the sink. The pedestal is fairly small and tucked into a narrow alcove between the wall and the shower. This proved slightly uncomfortable for me as I am a big guy and would have preferred a little more space. Also of note is the fact that used toilet paper goes into a bin rather than down the toilet. This is a system that I find disgusting in this day and age and for a new-build is unsatisfactory. I’ve left the best until last, the shower is fantastic. It is easily big enough to accommodate 2 people if desired and the shower unit itself is great. There is a large overhead shower head, a hand held shower head and also body jets at various levels that can be a bit of fun. One male guest we spoke to did have an unfortunate incident in that he had failed to notice that the lower jet had been selected prior to him turning on the water. When he did he was somewhat surprised to have his lower region blasted with a jet of hot water. He said it was painful and I have no reason to doubt him on that score. Personally I loved the shower and have never felt so clean in my life. The bathroom window is always open probably due to there being no extraction system and is covered with a mosquito screen. The lack of any extraction is also something I find unbelievable when there is a bin full of used toilet paper which, in theory, could be there for 24 hours. Back into the main bedroom, there is a sliding mosquito screen covering the balcony door which is a great comfort especially if you intend, as we did, to leave the door open overnight. The balcony itself is quite spacious and is equipped with a table and 2 chairs. My one complaint is that there was no privacy at all and your neighbour’s balcony area is in full view of your own. Also the sound carried very clearly from one room to another and next door’s conversations could be clearly heard.

Our normal routine, when on holiday, is to unpack and then go for a walk around to familiarise ourselves with both the hotel and the local area. This was not going to happen this time though due to the weather which had taken on mildly alarming proportions. The storm that we had seen in the distance from the transfer coach had arrived with a vengeance in Skala. We have never been in a storm like it, the thunder was ear-splitting and, seemingly, right over head and the fork lightning seemed to be striking the ground uncomfortably close to the hotel. Along with the torrential rain it provided quite a spectacle for the next few hours. This is what I was referring to earlier when I thought that our first meal was going to be courtesy of the mini-bar. The storm was relentless and, to be honest, we felt like prisoners in our room positioned, as it was, such a distance from all the hotels facilities. Eventually the storm abated and we were able to make a dash to the main building in time for evening meal which is served buffet style. The restaurant buffet service starts at 7-30pm and goes through until 10pm which, I think, gives everyone sufficient time to eat and at a time that suits them. The restaurant is downstairs from reception and occupies the same space as the white bar.

Before I go on to the food I think it is a good time to mention my thoughts on the hotel style and layout. Concrete and glass are the main constituents to the building and they lend a very modern feel to the hotel as a whole. Don’t expect anything traditionally Greek about the place because you won’t find it. The main building, as I’ve stated previously, is separate from the guestrooms and is made up of three stories. The top floor is where reception is located along with the black bar, the library/book storage area and the 2 PC’s which are free to use. There is a great deal of space on this floor which, to me, seems greatly under-utilised and is a result of the minimalist styling that has been adopted throughout the hotel. There are several stylish but uncomfortable chairs and sofas scattered around the remaining space. My remark about style over substance is no truer than in this space and a thought that I couldn’t shake was ‘it looks like someone ran amok in IKEA with a credit card and just bought all the chairs that looked good but nobody else had bought because they were so uncomfortable’. There is a large flat-screen TV on this floor although it was never on and also the black bar was never open. Full length windows occupy the front of the building and they open up onto a balcony that provides excellent views of the pool area and the sea beyond. Once again the balcony is furnished with impracticable metal chairs but, on the bright side, they are painted a lovely blue colour. Accompanying these seats are some tables that are so low as to be of virtually no use whatsoever. There are lifts to the lower floors as well as a nice stairwell/atrium which is festooned with nice lighting and does, in all honesty, look very good. The middle floor is where you will find both restaurant areas, there is a small a la carte dining area available if you tire of the buffet and are willing to pay the extra. The kitchens are on this floor and are fairly open so you can see what’s going on inside. The white bar also occupies this space and some of the tables are dual purpose in that you can eat your dinner there and also enjoy the evening entertainment and drinks at the same table. Just a quick mention of the barman, Miro, very friendly, efficient and easy-going. There are some more comfortable and stylish chairs and sofas closer to the bar. Once again the whole of the front of the building is glass which opens out to some outdoor seating and the impressive pool area. The lower of the 3 floors houses the gym and spa which hold absolutely no interest for me so a quick looksee was our only experience of that floor. The gym did look fairly well equipped to my untrained eye and the spa pool looked beautiful although the brochure pictures gave the impression that it was much bigger than it is in real life. The main pool area was very nice with plenty of sunbeds and parasols available. This was especially true this week with the low numbers of guest staying at the hotel. Even so you could see that quite a few of the parasols had been unbolted and removed prior to the low season. There is a small poolside bar which was not open but did contain a drinks fridge that I guess would sell cold drinks in the summer. This was also where you could pick up the pool towels which are provided free of charge. I think the system adopted during the summer months had been relaxed and we were just able to pick up towels as required and simply leave them on the sunbeds when we left. The pool itself is large and is of the infinity type which to me just means that one side of it ends abruptly at the end of the property. Not really sure where the term infinity comes from. There is also a smaller jaccuzzi pool to the right as you look out to sea. Out at the front of the hotel is the road from Skala to Poros and, in truth, it is not that busy. It is, however, a 20 minute walk into Skala and the first part of it has no footpaths making it a bit of a no no at night. About 5 minutes down the road there is a concrete pathway that then runs all the way into Skala. Across the road is the beach although it comprises mostly pebbles and rocks. It is undeveloped and not really suitable for sunbathing and access to the sea is slightly precarious due to the rocky nature of the coast here. So if you are not content with a pool-based holiday then perhaps the Tesoro Blu is not the hotel for you. Apart from the main building the guest rooms snake back and upwards along, what appears to be, an old river valley. There is a tennis court set back from the main building also. The blocks of guestrooms are well spaced and interspersed with well-maintained lawns and gardens and also 2 outside seating areas referred to as squares 1 and 2. They look very nice but I would imagine they are underused due to their distance from the bars and other facilities in the main building. Because of its location in a valley there is high ground on each side of the hotel and an abundance of insect and bird life is present. Plenty of crickets, grasshoppers, praying mantis’s, beetles etc are present and are interesting rather than annoying. There are also the obligatory cats roaming around the property and, as cat people, we liked that aspect. We even bought some cat meat for them and, from looking at them, it would appear that we were not the only ones.

Anyway back to the first evening meal from the buffet. We were welcomed into the restaurant area and invited to select a table and a waiter soon appeared to take our drinks order. Let me say at this point that all the staff we encountered were very friendly and aimed to please. They all had a good command of the English language as us Brits tend to expect when we are abroad and I never heard anyone even attempt a Greek word or phrase. I tried to chip in with the odd ‘kalimera’ here and there but everyone spoke such good English that I didn’t persevere and use my only other Greek word ‘kalispera’. The choice of food, I found, was somewhat limited. Don’t misunderstand me, there was always something that I could find to eat but, in general, I don’t think the standard was very high. The soup was not hot for the first few nights although it was tasty. There were also other cold starters available like salad, cheeses, meats etc. It was, at times, difficult to differentiate what was intended to be a starter and which was intended to be a main course. This didn’t matter really and I’m sure everyone just mixed and matched to suit their tastes. Basically, there were 3 hot food receptacles or tureens, one was always a spaghetti dish, there was usually a cooked meat dish and one other which was invariably a meat in sauce. Around the other side of the servery were the vegetables and some other hot items which may or may not have been intended as main courses. I cannot remember every dish that we were offered but there are some highlights and some decidedly lowlights as follows:- Souvlaki was good as was some of the fish on offer, the vegetables were usually something that we don’t eat that much of at home like artichokes, aubergines and giant beans. We had more familiar, regular vegetables on 2 nights but more often than not I gave them a miss. Unbelievably on 2 nights we had chicken nuggets. £1000 per week and we got chicken nuggets, I kid you not. Also other ‘snacky’ type of things on offer were spring rolls, onion rings, min-burgers. In my opinion, for the money we paid, this was pathetic. As has been said in many reviews, the chef was always on hand to advise you about the various dishes and he did seem genuinely interested in what you thought about the food. He did seem very happy and friendly and he may have been doing his best within a budget or it may have been a case of using up all the stuff in the freezer. This aside, had I been him I would have been hiding behind a cooker on some nights rather than floor walking looking for compliments. The desserts mainly consisted of jelly and blancmange with the odd cheesecake thrown in. We did have tiramisu on one occasion too and there is a separate ice-cream fridge with 3 flavours available, vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. It was not until the last evening that I had something that could be considered authentically Greek and that was Beef Stifado. This, for me, was the highlight of the week and most of my disappointment at the food was probably due to the lack of Greek cuisine. So if you’re expecting authentic Greek cuisine book somewhere else because you won’t get it here. On the other hand if you’re happy with chicken nuggets start packing now. Reading this back it doesn’t sound as bad as I thought it was at the time and I think it was just the general poor quality of the dishes on offer that I found disappointing. Opinions vary and other guests I spoke to were very happy with the food, it just shows that we expect different things.

Time to retire to the bar and sample some of the drinks on offer. The previously mentioned Miro was very attentive and took our orders quickly. I just opted for a large beer and the wife for a glass of house red wine, total cost 8 euros 50 with the wine being 5 euros. White wine was 4 euros 50 and bottled Mythos was 3 euros 50. Cocktails started around the 6 euro mark and there were ‘special’ cocktails on the ‘gold’ list priced around 12 euros and upwards. The bar stools were, as I’d come to expect now, extremely uncomfortable and couldn’t be tolerated for very long. There is a flat screen TV at one end of the bar which was tuned to fashion TV for most of the week. At the other end of the bar is the entertainment area. The resident singer Ollie Mulkeen is on every night bar one during the week. The only night he wasn’t on was supposed to be Greek Culture night with dancing etc but this didn’t happen for whatever reason. Now I don’t want to be too hard on Ollie as he does work hard and his repertoire is very extensive. For me he just isn’t that good though and, to be honest, listening to him every night became a chore. He is also a trumpet player which did nothing to endear him to me either. Most other guests seemed to enjoy him and, if you read through previous reviews, everyone seems to sing his praises. Perhaps it just wasn’t my taste and I think some variety would make for a more enjoyable week or, perish the thought, two. Just a point to note here, smoking is allowed in the bar area so if you’re not a smoker you may wish to position yourselves outside. I should mention that you have a choice of paying cash or charging everything to your room.

An early night was needed after a long and tiring day so we made our way through the rain back to our room which seemed a lot further away in the dark. The block our room was in seemed to house the staff and there were some comings and goings up until the early hours. In general this was not a problem and the golf buggies are not that noisy really. Having previously mentioned the fantastic bed you can take it for granted that a good night’s sleep was enjoyed and we awoke refreshed and ready to see what the day brought starting with breakfast. It had rained throughout the night and showed no real signs of clearing up either. We managed to find a suitably long break in the rain and made our way down for breakfast and the obligatory welcome meeting. Options for breakfast were pretty much what you would expect, a small selection of cereals, fruit, cheese, ham, yoghurt, pastries, fruit juices, toast, preserves etc. Hot food available comprised bacon, sausage, beans, scrambled egg, porridge, ready-made omelette with ham and cheese filling, tomatoes etc. Also fried and poached eggs were cooked on request. Tea and coffee was brought to your table again on request with the coffee being much better than the tea as is usual abroad. All in all not a bad experience.

It was during the rep’s meeting that the storm started to rage again and we found ourselves trapped in the hotel until mid-afternoon. We had brought out just enough money to book a coach trip to Argostoli and we had intended to go back to our rooms to collect our belongings and head out for the day. What we actually did was sit around on a variety of bum-numbing chairs staring out of the window or playing cards. A quite inauspicious start to day 2. We eventually got back to our room although the weather did not improve sufficiently for us to venture out again until it was time for the evening meal. Luckily we are both avid readers and photographers so the afternoon and early evening was filled with reading and attempting to capture the ferocity of the storm ‘on film’ so to speak. The latter turned out to be an abject failure with none of the electrically charged atmosphere being evident in the resultant images. The evening followed pretty much the same pattern as the previous one and, as such, requires no further comment except to say that the storm did not abate.

Next day was better in that it wasn’t raining and the prospects looked a little improved from yesterday. This was the day to try the sunbeds around the pool and also explore the local area. We selected a corner of the pool area that gave us a good view of everything and made ourselves comfortable. It was warmish without being sunny and what intermittent rain, that there was, was deflected by the large parasol that we erected as necessary. A pleasant enough day made more interesting with a walk into Skala to purchase provisions from some of the few shops that had remained open this late into the season. We passed some other hotels that we had considered when booking and very nice they looked too especially 9 Muses and Maki’s. The town of Skala is small with several restaurants and bars and I can imagine it would be a nice place to visit in high season. The beach area is more developed with plenty of sunbeds and water sports available. Back to the hotel and it is worth mentioning the sunbeds. They are not of the typical white plastic construction that we are all probably familiar with and, not surprisingly, they are not very comfortable if used for long periods. They are constructed of rectangular steel bar painted black and are, once again I’m afraid, a case of style over substance. They look great and are in keeping with the general décor and style of the hotel and, I guess to some people, that’s what matters. There are also 3 separate ‘private’ sunbeds with thick cushions and surrounded by semi-opaque curtains. I guess you have to pay to use these and I think they double up as a private dining area in the summer if you fancy a romantic meal away from the crowds. The pool proved quite popular despite the less than perfect weather and, if the wife can be believed, it wasn’t too cold. I am not a pool person so I did not partake. I prefer the sea any day.

Evening came and went with strains of a muted trumpet still ringing in my ears. Still, tomorrow was coach trip day and we had been promised much better weather.

Wednesday did indeed dawn nice and clear and sunny. Note that sunrise at this time of year is very similar to home at approximately 7-45am so no need to get up too early. The coach trip was fine and Argostoli is a very nice place with a beautiful harbour and impressive shopping area. We were told that we may see some male loggerhead turtles around the fishing boats in the harbour but unfortunately, on this occasion, we didn’t. The sun shone all day and our unprotected skin took on a healthy glow as we hadn’t really prepared for such a hot day with our recent experiences still fresh in our minds. On the way back from Argostoli we stopped at the small but very nice Gentilini Winery where we were able to sample various wines, produced on site, before being directed to the shop. We bought a nice bottle of red and white that we had tasted, for a fairly pricey 25 euros. I’d usually get 6 for that from the supermarket but you only live once. We returned in plenty of time for a little snooze before dinner which was again up to the same standard as previously described. If memory serves me right this was the night that the dreaded chicken nuggets first made an appearance. Anyway I have covered the dining options in enough detail previously. This was the night that the Greek Culture event didn’t happen so happy days, no dancing and no trumpet.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday the weather was sensational with temperatures approaching 30c and most of the time was spent by the pool or, in my case, walking around the local area ‘camera-in-hand’.

Saturday evening was the big end of season farewell party and a quiz had been organised to compliment the usual trumpet/singing ordeal. To cut a long story short, we won and yes, you’ve guessed it, the prize was a bottle of red and white wine from the Gentilini Winery.

In summary and to round up any odds and ends that I may have omitted from the main body of my review:-
The hotel, in general, is very nice, clean, elegant and modern.
There is nothing remotely Greek in appearance or style evident at the hotel.
The staff were all great.
The room was kept immaculately clean at all times.
The beds and showers are fantastic.
The curtains in the room were thick enough to ensure the exterior lights or the rising sun didn’t disturb your sleep.
The power was cut at fairly regular intervals though only for a very short time.
The food and entertainment are very subjective to taste and could do with improving or, at the very least, varying.
The weather was as unpredictable as could be expected for mid-October.
The internet access is free.
There was a happy hour of sorts from 4-30pm onwards.
There is a decent lunchtime snack menu available and drinks are generally cheaper during this period. Waitresses will bring food and drinks out to your sunbeds if required.
Tipping is at your discretion, we usually worked on 10% being fair.
All in all we quite enjoyed our stay despite how it might appear from what I’ve written and would probably return to Kefalonia. We would however look for something a little more traditional if we were to return.
The flight home was uneventful and full…………….

Room Tip: Room 517 is far away from reception but affords a sea view albeit at a distance.
25  Thank Peter H
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We thought we were taking a risk booking a holiday to Greece in mid October as there is a greater risk of bad weather later in the year.Also at this time of year everything closes down so no trips unless booked with your holiday rep.
We landed very lucky, the first couple of days were rainy but the rest of the week glorious sunshine.
The Tesosro Blu was excellent, Large airy rooms, comfortable beds, very nice food and a very welcoming staff.
This was our first time on a couples only hotel and it was brilliant, no inflatables in the pool no kids only areas and nobody playing with the lifts.
I agree with all the other reviewers of this Hotel in highly recommending if you need a quiet time away to rest.

2  Thank Poppyblue
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife & I very much enjoyed our weeks stay from early October. The reviews for this hotel are for real. The quality and thought that has gone into the design & build of this hotel is there for all to see, the whole complex has a very spacious feel to it from your accommodation right through to the public areas. Our accommodation was very spacious and was of very high quality, huge very comfortable bed & lovely shower / bathroom facilities. Some very nice touches to like a nice size fridge, safety deposit box, bathrobes & slippers, tea & coffee station to mention a few. At the pool another nice touch with poolside towels provided. We enjoyed the breakfasts with a good varied selection offered, evening meals were the same with nothing repeated during the whole week and the food we would say was excellent. Staff seemed to enjoy their work and could not do more to please. We had quite a stroll to our room but I would echo Jane D,s words that this was worth it for the peace & solitude. We would certainly return!

1  Thank Andy R
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed at the Tesoro blu for 2 weeks beginning of October. From the moment we walked into the reception we knew we had made a good decision. All the staff we really friendly with genuine smiles on their faces. The room was really great, the bed very comfortable and having a duvet on a holiday bed instead of a counterpane makes all the difference. The bathroom ... Well I can't add anything more to say that hasn't already been said! Wonderful! The room was cleaned daily and always smelt lovely and fresh on entering. Free air conditioning, internet and safe, all of which were used constantly. The restaurant meals were wonderful, my husband could never decide what to have as there was always so much choice for him, I am a vegetarian and there was something different for me each evening, my favourite being the spinach and cheese tart, fantastic. There were lots of fresh vegetables,salad ingredients and fresh fruit every evening. Breakfast was just as good and varied.
The owner and his family (very friendly and approachable) were always around ensuring good service. Victoria and Costos were the 2 main waiters in the restaurant and I feel they deserve a mention as they were always attentive. Ollie the entertainer is a very gifted young man and gave his all, a true all round entertainer. The pool area was lovely and clean at all times. I cannot think of anything negative to say about the hotel or it's staff. We are recommending it to everybody who will listen to us.

Room Tip: Dont think there would be a bad room or location on the compound.
1  Thank margaretrees_11
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the TesorBlu for one week from 25 September to 2 October. Our expectations were high after reading all the reviews and we were certainly not disappointed in any way. It was our first visit to Kefalonia and, indeed, to Greece as we don't normally go for 'sun, sea and sand' holidays, but we felt in desperate need of some warm sunshine after the abysmal summer this year in the UK. We were told that the weather was exceptionally hot for September, the skies were cloudless the whole week and the evenings were very warm. It may not have been the norm but there were no complaints from us on this score!

We agree with everything good that has been written about this hotel and wonder where the people who have criticisms normally stay on holiday - the Savoy or the Burj Al Arab maybe? Some things, such as the minimalist lines, are perhaps not to everyone's taste but the hotel photographs are accurate and it is obvious that it is not built in the tradional Greek style. For us, that was a point in its favour! Our room, 512, was spacious, comfortable, spotlessly clean, with efficient and quiet air-con and the view over a comfortable, quiet courtyard seating area and the mountains was very quiet and peaceful. On arrival we found that one of the bedside lights was flickering and the bulb was replaced whilst we were out the next day. The TV remote stopped working and we were instantly given new batteries by reception. So we can't agree that faults were not rectified. Everything else worked perfectly - especially the unexpectedly good power shower! Room 512 is in the furthest block away from reception but this was not a problem for us and we quite enjoyed the stroll - especially after dinner! It has to be said that the numbering of the rooms is not very straightforward in that the blocks are numbered from reception up one side and down the other - so rooms in block 8 are actually nearer reception than those in block 5. This is not a criticism but an observation especially if you want to request a room near reception.

The atmosphere at the hotel was one of quiet efficiency and it was very relaxing. All the staff, without exception, whether front of house or not, were pleasant, cheerful, efficient, hard working, helpful and seemed to be happy in their jobs. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and was stylishly furnished to a very high standard. As has been said before the hotel is quite new so everything appears to be in excellent condition although admittedly we agree that there are a few 'blisters' on some of the dining tables. But they are outside all day in the blistering heat and in no way did they detract from the excellent dining experience - but I suppose some people will pick on anything! Neither were we aware that any public part of the hotel was unfinished.

The hotel is also nearer to Skala than we had been led to believe and we were glad that we had not stayed at the other hotels we had considered - the Apostolata and the San Georgio - which really are a bit of a hike.

We can recommend car hire as a means to see the beautiful scenery at your own pace and we found Greekstones to be excellent value compared to the company recommended by Thomson. In fact it is the only time I have ever heard my husband say that he had enjoyed driving a compact hire car whilst on holiday He said it had some 'guts' and coped well with the mountain roads. All insurances were included with no extras to pay with delivery to and collection from our hotel. We hired the car for 4 days and drove all around the island and also across country to the Robolo winery. We would also recommend driving up to Old Skala (and not walking in 35 degree heat as we did because we didn't realise that the path was now tarmaced and drivable!).

One day we took the water taxi to Katelios where we enjoyed a delicious fish lunch at the Blue Sea Restaurant. This speedboat runs a daily service between Poros, Skala and Katelios and is quite good fun to do.

Other than that just relax in the beautiful surroundings of the TesoroBlu and enjoy being waited on! I don't think the hotel stays open in the winter but be sure to give it a try next year!

3  Thank AnneChester
Reviewed October 14, 2012

After reading all the reviews on trip advisor we felt we were making a good choice of hotel and we weren't disappointed. The hotel is modern, clean, spacious and of top quality, built like a little village. the rooms are away from the main hotel in blocks and very pleasantly situated. We were greeted by a most cheerful receptionist and was given the hotel information whilst we sipped a pleasant fruit drink; we were taken to our room on the buggy which was not too far from the main hotel. We had upgraded our room and were pleasantly surprised as the room was clean, modern and very spacious with plenty of cupboard, drawer space. The bathroom had a bath and a large walk in shower, a decent hair dryer and magnifying make up mirror; the only criticism was that when you showered the water travelled over most of the bathroom floor making any further visit to the bathroom wet and slippery. The air con was very quite and easy to use. When we arrived it was lunch time and decided to sample the Caesar salad that we had read about in the previous reviews.....it was beautifully presented and delicious, with enough for two people. The buffet breakfast and evening meal was again beautifully presented with the chef on hand to enlighten you on names of dishes and ingredients which was a lovely touch and he seemed so proud of what he had produced; there was not a lot of choice as we have experienced in other hotels but what was on offer was delicious; the staff were so pleasant and extremely polite and attended to you very efficiently. Whilst you ate Ollie entertained you playing his trumpet and singing, he was very good and it was nice music to have a dance to, one evening we were entertained by 'Hollis' who was a rock singer, he was very good too. The bar staff were friendly and efficient and very good at making cocktails!
The gym is not big but has quite a selection of machines, weights, skipping ropes and towels. The pool is quite chilly but was welcome as the weather was really hot for the time of year, it's large, deep and spotless and pool towels are supplied; we went on a boat trip with 'Captain Vangellis' about 600yds from the hotel and the hotel kindly lent us the pool towels for the day. We hired a jeep for 2 days from 'Greekstones' in Scala and toured around the island, which was very pleasant.

All in all, it was a most pleasant experience and we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to family and friends!

• Stayed: September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Asteris Hotel
#11 of 23 in Skala
Porto Skala Hotel & Village
Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel

Been to TUI Sensimar Tesoroblu Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!