“Relaxed break in comfort”

Tesoroblu Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Skala
South Wales
“Relaxed break in comfort”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at this beautiful hotel from July 24th – August 7th as we were getting married in Kefalonia (not at this hotel). The service as we arrived late at night was excellent; our cases were waiting at our room (125) as we checked in. Anna on reception is a credit to the hotel, always had a smile on her face and went the extra mile (like printing off my panicked then husband to be’s speech out on wedding day).

Our room was only a minute’s walk from reception (enough in the 40+ heat) and it was always a treat to arrive back there after a hard day at the pool. Air con was the best we’ve had in a hotel; it was almost silent at night and made for a great nights sleep. The bed was also the nicest we’ve had abroad, it was HUGE(!) and so comfy, imported from Italy apparently. Shower was powerful, and was nice to have the fluffy dressing gown and slippers as an extra. The pool area was spotless, free pool towels are available too. The pool bar drinks and crisps are reasonable price, and the food served for lunch was of a high quality and the same price as other tavernas in Skala. I loved evening meals, I don’t understand the comment about there not being enough Greek cuisine, we saw stuffed vine leaves, greek salad, tzatziki, mousakka, souvlaki, stifado, kleftico, stuffed peppers to choose from over the course of a fortnight. My husband became a bit ‘fed up’ of eating at buffet towards the end so we decided to eat out, we didn’t really want to pay for the a la Carte menu within hotel when there were so many local tavernas to choose from.

We had our wedding reception at Old times (5 minute walk left from the hotel) and the food was amazing – highly recommended.

The entertainment wasn’t to our taste at hotel (maybe for older taste) however Ollie the resident musician did try his best every night. Thomsons / the hotel tried to vary things with their black and white / red carpet / cocktail making / Greek lessons, nice touches. We would have liked to have seen the black bar upstairs in the hotel open in July / August, just for extra atmosphere. Recommend this hotel for a chilled out relaxing break, but not for those wanting bit more of a ‘buzzy’ atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Welshie86

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Swansea
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Best holiday ever

By far one of the best places I have ever stayed in. True to reviews it was extremely welcoming and bursting with friendly atmosphere from arrival. A modern Italian styled hotel based behind an infinity pool with large open rooms, and air conditioning cool enough to make you feel you are back in Britain!
On arrival we were unsure whether we would have an evening meal as we arrived late, but after our belongings were kindly escorted to our room we were assured that dinner and staff were waiting for us. It became clear that we were the only family of 4 there at the time. Not once during our stay did we feel uncomfortable because of this, for breakfast and dinner two tables were quickly pushed together to accommodate. Evening meals were always fantastic and had a brilliant selection. With someone who has an allergy in the family it was a huge sigh of relief to be introduced to Dennis the Sous Chef, who was extremely friendly and helpful in telling us what each food was, could not praise him enough. We were also waited on each evening by Kostas and Steff, both humorous and helpful waiters, always there to make you laugh and feel comfortable. Kostas had us up dancing many nights and would always come to say hello.
The entertainment throughout the week was fantastic, the resident singer Ollie has a brilliant voice and sang an array of recognisable jazz styled music. The bar staff were excellent, drinks seemed fairly priced but a word of warning, they are very strong!
Most days we relaxed by the infinity pool overlooking the beach - a view that never got old throughout the holiday. The pool staff were very helpful, especially the young girl who delivered lunch and cleared away once finished (sorry we did not get her name).
On the Saturday we decided to rent a car for the day, something which we highly recommend. The island is absolutely beautiful, we visited Poros, Sami, Assos, the underground lakes at Melissani and made a stop next to the beautiful harbour for lunch in Fiskardo. We also visited the famous beach ‘Myrtos ‘. Although roads are extremely windy it soon became a pleasure to drive around the island.
We walked to Skala a few times (which is just a short walk from the hotel) and found a bustling atmospheric area of shops, restaurants, tavernas and plenty of people. The supermarket was just around the corner and we were able to stock up on water regularly.
Thomson were especially helpful and friendly throughout this holiday, reps Suzie and Jamie were always around to make sure we were having the best time possible.

I am trying my best already to persuade everybody to come back here again as I miss it already!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We Just arrived back from an amazing two week holiday at the Tesoro Blu. it is as all other reviews state very impressive and high quality, the Infinity pool is simply amazing with views across the road (not a busy road at all) to the sea, we had 40 degree's for the majority of the holiday and it was very very welcome!

Reception is upstairs along with the ‘Black Bar’ during our stay this wasn’t used or even opened, my understanding is that this is opened towards the end of the season when the weather turns colder, in my opinion the upper floor of the hotel is a vastly under utilised space, perhaps a quiet bar or a lounge might work there?

The main bar area is down stairs by the amazing pool, this is where all the entertainment happens at night (I will come onto that later) this area is where the owners Makis, Angela and their Father are very visible, always present in the bar day and night overseeing everything, they are very approachable and extremley friendly, this in my opinion sets the Tesoro Blu apart from others.

The bar staff Will and Miro are amazing! The Cocktails are fab (I have the bar bill to prove it!) Will makes a wicked ‘Me Julie!’ bar prices are very reasonable, they have a happy hour from 1pm until 4pm where a large beer is 2.5 Euro, they also do bar food in the happy hour, something like 6 Euro for a club sandwich which I didn’t think was too bad. After happy hour a large draught beer goes up to 3.5 Euro, they have a cocktail happy hour from 5:30 – 7:30 if I remember correctly I think the prices are around 5 Euro per cocktail rising to 7 Euro outside of this...

We booked on Half board though Thompson and to be honest the food is ok, after two weeks it was getting a bit samey if i am honest and we ate out 4 evenings in Skala to get out of the hotel and have something different. The head Chef is always around in the evening and he is very very friendly and helpful, he takes the time to explain every dish whilst you are browsing whats on offer, and he does this all night...he is a lovely man!

Tesoro also have an a la carte resteraunt, you have to pay for this though, we ate here for my wifes birthday on the evening we arrived, you have to pay 25 Euro if you want to dine in an outside tent by the pool surrounded by candles, it is very romantic and private, worth it in my view, the food is amazing here, I had Steak for the main course, and it was delicious...not a cheap experience but worth it, the meal for two (starter and main) plus the tent came in at 110 Euro, I also ordered a bottle of Champers (Verve Cliqout) and this was 100 Euro! (which I thought was steep) service both at the main buffet and the a la carte was second to none, the staff are very attentive but not intrusive, they are all a credit to the hotel! Top marks here!

The Thompson Events Guy (Jamie) is fab! He has amazing energy and is a really friendly guy, he does Aqua Aerobics in the morning which was a real laugh, he also arranges things like Cocktail making lessons, wine tasting, and greek lessons all of which are free and breaks the days up. Oli the evening singer is OK, he didn’t really mix with the guests during our stay and seemed a little stand offish...he does have a good voice, Friday nights 70’s and 80’s were great! The Thompson rep (Suzie) is visible in the hotel, she is really friendly and is often mixing in the bar with the guests which again was really nice to see.

A couple of things which are not really to do with Tesoro but are aimed at Thompson, so please be aware of...
We paid for a room upgrade of £80...we were told (after nearly a week there) that we had a third bed in our room for this payment (not a sea view or something like I was expecting!) why would I want a third bed in a couples hotel!..sounds like a con to me, also the justification was..well its only £40 per week..really! We noticed that although it is classed as a couples hotel that there were families there, mum, dad and two older teenagers! In my mind its not a couples hotel then is it! apparently it is open to people over the age of 16! the hotel has no security on and lets non residents into use the facilities if they buy food and drink...this to me compromises security and to be honest why don’t I book a cheaper hotel next time and go to the Tesoro and buy a 3.5 Euro beer and sunbath there, the question is what am I paying for then??

And the last point I wanted to make, we booked an ‘adults only’ 30 people on the trip ‘Premier Island Tour’ through Thompson, to find 35 people on the tour and two kids! The tour came with a three course meal (very nice indeed) but due to the fact the kids didn’t like what was on offer they had the menu changed for them at the resteraunt so that they could have Pizza, when we didn’t have a choice on what we ate! Thompson need to sort themselves out in my opinion, as the couples/adults thing has a different meaning to them obviously.

Overall awesome holiday, will be back!

Room Tip: Dont pay for a room upgrade all you get is a third bed in a couples hotel!
2 Thank ForestFletch
Shrewsbury
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have just arrived back after my fourth visit to TesoroBlu Hotel and Spa. And as the title suggests, I am still completely in love with this place and planning my fifth visit already.

It's difficult to know where to start with so many fantastic things to say about this hotel. I believe the making of this beautiful place is the staff. They go above and beyond for you and make you feel like a unique and special individual (something I have never experienced previously in a hotel). If I could, I'd mention every member of staff but I'm sure that may be quite boring for people reading this review. So here's a select few...
Will and Miro on the bar make THE BEST cocktails! Absolutely delicious and both lovely people to talk to.
Victoria (waitress) deserves a medel! She is an absolute star! She's incredibly professional, friendly and if you feel down (not that you would feel down in a place like this) she will make you laugh in no time.
Kostas is legendary, he will get you up dancing and it has to be said- that man has some MOVES! Although saying this if you aren't in the mood to dance he knows not to pester (often a difficult balance to achieve).

Anyway, moving on to the food. People have mentioned in previous reviews that the food is limited however, I would argue this. This is a small hotel and it would be unfair to compare the range available at the buffet to a hotel that serves 1000 guests every night. I was happy every night with the food and if I had been there longer than a week I would have definitely lost my bikini body I worked so hard for before the holiday. Also I have to say the plates are HUGE! So you can really fill your boots :) I find it annoying when hotels give you tiny plates and you have to go up 3 times before you feel like you've had a decent meal.

The rooms are spacious. Special mention about the beds- they are incredibly comfortable and with black out curtains it was a struggle to get up! And in terms of air con, you can set it low enough to feel like you're sleeping in a fridge- happy days when it's 40'C in the daytime.

The island itself is beautiful and you will not regret coming to Kefalonia- especially staying at TesoroBlu. Before I came to this hotel I was the sort of person to go to a different country every year. The thought of going back to the same place (never mind the same hotel) was something I thought I'd never do. But here I am writing a review about my forth visit whilst searching online for my fifth holiday at TesoroBlu!

Don't think twice about booking to come here.

2 Thank PoppyRobinson
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The Tesoro Blu is an ultra modern and elegant hotel – and we loved it.

It’s set a short distance from the centre of Skala and so is in a relatively quiet location, but near enough to access local facilities.

As many reviewers have stated, this hotel is very new and a family enterprise. Its creation and running has obviously been a labour of love. Attention to detail is in evidence everywhere. The two young principals in the venture, Evangelina and Makis, are always there to chat to guests and, we presume, to ensure that things run as smoothly as they should. They are very charming hosts.

We’ve been fortunate enough to visit scores of hotels around the world and feel that the staff at Tesoro Blu are among the best we’ve encountered. They’re efficient, helpful, chatty and fun.

Our room (not standard) was exceptionally large, simple but elegant, with two balconies, a shower and a bath. It was spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was no sea view – due to the layout of the complex – but very pleasant view of the hillside, with the remains of very old stone terracing, and the mountains in the distance.

We rarely book hotels with buffet restaurants (preferring service) but the food here was pretty good overall. The bar prices were quite reasonable for an hotel – not too different from nearby tavernas. For variety we chose to eat several lunches in some of those local tavernas. They were enjoyable and authentic, although for quality we thought the lunches in the hotel were better.

We’d never travelled with Thomson before, but must say they did a very good job. The reps and entertainment people were extremely good (and singer Ollie is excellent).

The beach across the road is more shingle and pebble than sand, but it offers a nice walk in the mornings – and an opportunity for a bracing swim in the crystal clear sea.

If we are to be hypercritical: in the gym an exercise bike and another treadmill would have been welcomed. Thankfully, Tesoro Blu doesn’t follow the ridiculous and avaricious hotels’ practice of charging for wifi, but it was very glitchy (we needed work emails). And in case you want to watch English language television there’s not much choice – but we didn’t mind as we hadn’t come to Greece to sit in front of a TV.

We were amazed to read previous reviewers state that you need to get a taxi to get to the centre of Skala. Unless you have a mobility problem it’s a few minutes brisk walk. There’s a supermarket less than 200m away, which we visited each morning to get water and miscellaneous things.

So, in summary: An elegant place, very well-run by hands-on owners who aim for perfection. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We thought the upper floors offered more privacy on balconies. But that's just our preference.
1 Thank Cardiff2
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hi all Trip advisor folks,

If you need to relax you must visit a minimal, modern, exclusive, quiet, and extremely friendly with amazing sea front view hotel. THIS IS THE TESORO BLU hotel in Scala Kefalonia. Not only the best hotel in Kefalonia but yet one of the best in Greece.

Sassi

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Just came back from Kefalonia where we had a wonderful stay of 11 nights at the most beautiful hotel ever the "TesoroBlu Hotel". I thought I was staying in a resort. The hotel is sited just in the front sea side in a quiet area away from the noise and again in a walking distance from the village of Scala. Just the place you need to relax and recharge the batteries. The smiling faces of the people helping you around and the hospitality made our stay pleasant. However what makes everything running smoothly is the presence of the people running the hotel. It is a family venture and all family members are working hard and they are present everywhere to make sure that we are served properly. The rooms are huge, modern and very comfortable and the cleaning service was excellent. For sure we will choose this place again and we strongly recommend the staying experience.
Tatiana - Athens Greece

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank TatianaAthens_Greece
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Emelisse Art Hotel
Emelisse Art Hotel
#2 of 8 in Fiscardo
Porto Skala Hotel & Village

Been to Tesoroblu Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!