TripAdvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
1,137 results
All reviews tesoro blu resident singer white bar infinity pool modern hotel platinum suite waves bar half board main building a la carte restaurant evening buffet golf buggy greek night hired a car a bit repetitive two weeks beautiful island
Selected filters
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have just got back from our stay at the TesoroBlu and I have to say that this hotel fully deserves an excellent rating, the food was excellent and varied, even though it was a buffet it was always fresh- most nights the chef would be available to talk to and would advise what each dish was, he was also very polite and friendly! The bar staff were excellent and made some great cocktails which were strong but very nice. The other staff in the hotel, waitresses, waiters, cleaners and management were all very nice and polite and friendly. The standard of the rooms were good, the showers were good!! My Ozzie fiance is a stickler for a hot and high pressured shower and this was both. I am 6ft and it was fine. The pool is lovely and there was always plenty of sunbeds free. It was always clean and had a lovely view over the ocean where you can watch the yachts sail past. I also would like to praise the reps from Thomson, especially Suzie, she was great, really on the ball, and not pushy at all, she gave us the info on all the tours and we did the sea kayaking with George which was awesome. The sea was so calm and was really nice to paddle through. I couldnt have wished for a more relaxing holiday and I will definitly go back again. Well done Tesoroblu staff you deserve to be praised. Ben and Kylie

2  Thank littlemonkey31
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Very new, sleek hotel aimed at the Thomson 'couples' market (we booked it independently).
Rooms stretch out behind the main reception/pool/dining area up a driveway. We were right at the top (room 525) and it's 440 steps from reception to the room! No hassle really, but annoying if you get down to the pool and realise you forgot something. Especially in 42 deg heat, which it peaked at last week.
Pool area is very nice - 'infinity' pool which looks out across a road in onto the beach. Water we guessed must be cooled, and it was very refreshing. They allow 'saving' of sun loungers, and we got into the habit of leaving a couple of hats on our favourite spots on our way in to breakfast. There's a separate whirlpool too. Bar service is great during the day and into the evening - drinks very inexpensive too. €2.50 for a large beer during 'lunch' period, going up to €3.50 (I think) at evening time.
We didn't have the buffet dinner included in our package, but the buffet was very popular and looked fine. We did the "a la carte" option one night - about €90 for two including wine. The food was well-cooked and well-presented, and it made a nice change from yet more variations on moussaka.
Free wifi in all rooms and public areas, but could NOT get it to connect reliably. There are a couple of PC terminals by reception which guests can use, but these just used the same wifi connection, so kept losing connection too. Presumably an isolated problem, but happened on two or three days. Not an island-wide problem though - ended up using the free wifi at the beachfront 'Metaxa' bar (password metaxa007) towards Skala, which was completely reliable.
Room air-con was very effective, but they are strict about only issuing one key-card per room which you need to have in a slot inside the room for power/aircon to work. So it takes a while for the room to cool when you come back at night. However this arrangement stopped after a couple of days and the aircon stayed on even when we weren't in the room. Don't know if this was a fault, or a concession to the heat-wave that hit while we were there.

Breakfast was the usual Euro-buffet style, I guess trying to please all tastes, but after a couple of days it got a bit depressing. 10 minutes further along the coast road away from Skala (by hire-car - an essential I think) there's the fishing village of Poros where you can have a great breakfast overlooking the harbour.
Cephalonia itself was a bit of a disappointment. We've been to Naxos before, and there was much more to see and do there than on Cephalonia. It might be due to the earthquake (in the 50s I think) which wiped out all but one of the villages (this being Fiscardo, and the northern tip of the island - we never made it there as it was going to be about two hours drive there, and two back.) Naxos had stunning little 'proper Greek' villages you could just wander around, and a vibrant Naxos city to get lost in at night. All 'villages' in Cephalonia seemed to be more modern, boring buildings, and to be honest we ran out of things to do, or go to see. Skala itself is basically based around one main street - plenty of decent restaurants, but no nice 'craft' type shops as we were expecting.
Some lovely little beaches though - Myrtos of course, and try and get to Assos, which has a tiny beach but the most crystal clear water I think I've ever seen.
Try not to miss the patisserie that is right next door to the hotel entrance, next driveway along as you walk out from Skala. Fabulous pastries and ice-cream, and ridiculously cheap. (The main bit of Skala town is about 15 mins slow walk from hotel. Road/path is well lit except for the last hundred meters or so before the hotel - good idea to have a torch/phone light for walking after dark and avoiding nasty encounters with potholes or automobiles!)
I think TesoroBlu must be one of the best hotels on the island, but we won't be going back, because of the island, not the hotel. It's a bit conceited to write off a whole island after just a week's stay, but I think there are plenty of nicer places around Greece to visit.

Room tip: Rooms closer to the main complex will probably get noise from evening entertainment.
1  Thank dredd123
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Oh dear, oh dear..

We were so looking forward to this. It all began to wrong at Newcastle airport where our flight was delayed two hours and the information conveyed to the passengers was minimal.. Notification of boarding gate 5 mins before delayed departure time but then having to sit there for another hour after racing down there? (Bad show Thompson..) On arrival at Keffalinia airport we were given the wrong coach No by the Thompson's rep and had to go back & forth from coach to airport to confirm...

We arrived at the hotel about midnight.. They had saved us some lukewarm food but then tried to get us to buy a more expensive wine when we only really wanted a glass or two of house wine before bed.. The up-selling of wine was a constant theme at dinner-time and as annoying as the wasps that buzzed around the open dining room. Perhaps an "insect-o-cutor" may benefit future guests? A couple of times we actually left our breakfasts to avoid the wasps. Though it was quite amusing to see one doing the backstroke in some Honey sauce from the Baklava on Greek night!

Our TV stopped working on day two and it took all day and several visits to reception to get it working again.. Though the worst was day 3/4 when a series of unexpected power cuts left us with no air-conditioning and no lighting or electricity (particularly annoying as we had to get ready for an excursion in the morning in the dark..) No-one at reception at 7.30 so I reported to a cleaner. When we returned in the evening the power went off again. I phoned reception to ask what we could do and was told that it was "Not their problem" and we would have to endure it.. Appalling customer service..

The showers in the room are not very good being of the mixer tap style and its hard to get pressure and temperature correct.. They are also quite low so anyone over 5ft11 may stuggle.

On the good side we did two excellent day-trips.. Captain Vangeli's Ithica boat trip €35 & Panem's Island tour €25 bookable in Skala (with the lovely Esme who provided 6 hours of brilliant commentary) - Both these were booked externally and half the price of the Thompson's equivalents.

We were looking forward to 5 star experience but to be honest this was a disppointment after our last few holidays with Thompson which were all exceptional..

5  Thank bilb0123
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have had a truly tremendous holiday at TesoroBlu. The staff work hard to keep improving the service they offer under the direction of the family owners. Unusually, the owners are very hands-on and are visibly dedicated to providing a personalised service - this ethos is instilled in all staff at the hotel. We picked this hotel for the minimalist decor, the island and, quite frankly, the very reasonable price. We booked directly with the hotel, organised our own flights with Thomson and the hotel booked our private transfer. We saved some money doing it this way.
The pictures on the website provide a good insight into how good this hotel looks - it really doesn't disappoint in any way at all in my opinion. The rooms are great and special mention must go to the incredibly comfortable beds. The food was excellent and provided plenty of choice for all tastes including vegetarians.
We were more than happy to spend time around the pool as there were plenty of places available, so much so we had to force ourselves to hire a car to travel around the island. This is a must and we're so glad we did it. We did a loop from Skala to Argostoli (drinks), on to Myrtos beach (a few hours here in the sea and sun-bathing), passed Assos (for next time!), did late lunch in Fiskardo (beautiful)and returned down the coast to Skala. This took 12 hours but was a fab day - would recommend over 2 days but we loved it. Some people say going down to Myrtos is difficult but we found it fine if you take your time on the winding track - parking can be an issue but persevere, it really is beautiful.
We spent all evenings bar one at the White Bar, this is unusual for us as we like to go out and about. This is a tribute to the bar staff (superb), fab company and Ollie Mulkeen. Ollie provided vocal entertainment with live trumpet breaks and he was so enthusiastic about what he did - my partner sang with him on the last night which was brilliant!
Overall - we loved it and, can't believe I'm saying this, we will return... A huge thank you to Angela & Makis - you have created a brilliant hotel.

Rich & Neil.

Date of stay: July 2012
4  Thank RLashley
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Returning to the wonderful tb for the third time at the end of August. I cannot wait! There are not enough words to describe how u feel when staying at this hotel. At first I didn't want to share this hotel with anyone I know but now I want anyone I know to go to experience what I keep going on about.Roll on the 26th and next year hopefully the apartments will be ready. Can't wait

Date of stay: June 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple