“Stange - Social event of the year”

Tesoroblu Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Stange - Social event of the year”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Just stayed 2 weeks at the Tesoro Blu Hotel and a holiday is what you make it!! On arrival, we were were met by Lora and our luggage and ourselves were taken in a buggy to our rooms. The rooms were of an exceptional standard with large shower sprays and a comfortable double bed and large balcony where we watched the cows clambering over the hill overlooking our balcony. Peter, Mike and Angela, the owners were always on hand in the restaurant and bar to ensure that service was of a high quality and the staff were truly amazing!!! Special mention to the bar guys, Miro and Will and Ollie the 'Singer and trumpet player', Danielle the 'Thomson Entertainment' supremo and to the restaurant staff Victoria, young Costas, Manos and Alexandra!
As we settled in, we found the White Bar to be a focal point for meeting other holiday makers and we made some fantastic friendships and we must apologise for the noise and for keeping the bar staff up until 2am most nights?!
Tips:- 5 euros in a taxi back from town, it is a 20 minute walk along the seafront which is great during the day but not well lit at night and Skala itself is rather quiet with just one main street. We recommend the Avra Bar for happy hour on the seafront in to town and the Veto Bar for 80's music in Skala but by 10pm always make your way back to the hotel for the special Mojitos which were the best ever!! Superb memories!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 129 which was closer to the hotel but had the sun in the evening and was private.
1 Thank Angela J

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend in May. It was a lovely, modern, clean hotel which is exactly what we had hoped for after reading the reviews on here. The staff were all brilliant and couldn't do enough for you. The hotel rooms are clean with the comfiest bed we have ever slept in!
We only ate at the hotel twice under the half board option as the food wasn't great but we didn't mind as there were really good value restaurants in the town. The beach accross the road was disappointing and not the type of beach that you could lie on.
The only criticism that we had for the hotel is that it is advertised as a 'Hotel and Spa resort' and the Spa hadn't yet opened when we stayed. I think we should have been told about this before we booked it as it was one the reasons that we booked this hotel in the first place.
Kefalonia is a beutiful Island and we would definitely return but not to Skala as the other resorts that we vitised on our stay seemed to have a lot more character, bars, better beaches and more restaurant choice. We hope to go back and visit Fiskardo.

Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

what a fantastic hotel. The Hotel was situated right opposite the beach. We had lovely view whichever way we looked. Our room was located opposite The Square which had a lovely little water feature so could peacefully read enjoying the late afternoon sun. There were cows on the cliffs so we felt like we had the best of it all. The swimming pool was the best ive been too, it was cold but refreshing and it looked like it joined with the sea. It was a 20 minute walk to the shops and Tavernas. Laura the receptionist welcomed us and made sure everthing was ok. The staff all did their best checking we had everything we needed. The resident singer was good and did special requests, he gave you a nod when you walked in for dinner as if to say he hadnt forgotton the birthday request for my mums 7oth birthday. As we left the family which owned it waved us goodbye. Will definatley go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank julie e
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I have just returned from Tesoro Blu after spending a week there with my mum, aunt and sister to celebrate my mums 70th birthday, my sister and myself had researched before booking and decided this was the place to go, it really lived up to our expectation and we had a really fab holiday, the staff certainly made you feel very welcome, the hotel is not traditional greek but very modern and minimal making it feel very fresh and clean which it was, we found the food lovely and mananged to choose something different every night, the beds where the most comfortable i have ever slept on, our week just seemed to fly by enjoying every minute. The scenery around us with the mountains and the sea to the front across a very quiet round was very tranquil and relaxing, at one time walking along next to the beach all you could hear was birds singing, this was my first visit to kefalonia and will not be my last.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elladavis
Havant
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I are lucky enough to be regular travellers and have enjoyed the very best hotels in Europe,the Caribbean , Indian Ocean, Asia and Americas never have we had an experience quite like TesoroBlu.. ..

Initially drawn to the contemporary design we were pleasantly surprised to read the trip advisor reviews so decided to book for 11 nights at the end of May to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.

The reason that this hotel is so unique is that you soon realise on arrival that this hotel concept has been created , built and run by a family rather than a corporate entity.

The design and furnishings/fittings are finished to the highest standard without compromise.

The quality of service and attention to detail is first class and is fastidiously monitored by the family without compromising the relaxed holiday atmosphere.

The staff are clearly proud to work here and we have never been made to feel more welcome.

The most memorable point has to be our anniversary dinner. You can higher a specially decorated private gazebo by the pool and enjoy the superb A'la carte menu ( I can recommend the rack of lamb foliowed by the chocolate soufflé dessert ) . Victoria, thank you again for making this so special.

All the staff in the restaurant are excellent with a special thank you to both Kosta's, Mina, Alexandra,Manos and the chef of course....

The white bar is focal point of Tesoro Blu after dark and the bar men Will and Miro are an excellent team ... Their professionalism is first class.. don't miss Will's 'Mojito' or Miro's 'old fashioned'.. thanks for an excellent time guys..

Olly is the entertainment .... Incredibly versatile and talented ... Superb.. And a really nice guy to boot..

Danielle works with the hotel for Thompson .. Thanks for making our holiday special .. We will never forget the cocktail master class with Miro...

So to summarise ... If you're thinking of booking this hotel, just do it ..

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank onholidayagainHavant
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from this hotel. This was our first time in Kefalonia and what a beautiful island. So picturesque, flowers everywhere. Weather let us down a bit though, we were expecting sunshire for the whole week, but got a few rainy days. Skala itself is very quiet, a fair few restaurants and bars, albeit a good 20 mins walk from the hotel. We got a taxi too and from the town as it was only five euros. Hotel was lovely, just what we expected - contemporary and minimalist.
Our room was one of the better ones, I think. We had a room facing the forest, which was good, because some unfortunately, balcony faces balcony and not very private, or you can face the road!! Pity really because even though you are over the road from the sea, its not really visible from the rooms! Room really quite confortable, especially the bed. Bathroom good and shower powerfull!.. There are tea and coffee facilities, but you have to replace it yourself from the restaurant - you would think that they could do this when cleaning the room, considering the five star rating!
One observation though, the TV channels were rubbish. When it was raining we went back to the room early and went through them. No sky or anything - only the news. If you want to see anything else you have to pay for it, which I thought was a bit mean when I compare to other 5 star hotels. The funniest thing was that the movies you had to pay for were cartoons!! Which was weird considering it was adult only hotel.
The restaurant was OK and the times we did eat in the hotel the quality was good, although could be a little cold on occasions, but the deserts were lovely!! The table in the restaurant was unsafe, if you lean on them a bit, the whole table tips over. Entertainment was fair although a bit repetative. The Swing singer was good although could have made more of an effort with his appearance. The so called 'rock' singer was just recorded sounds which he just sang too - a bit kareoke!! At least the swing singer did actually play some instruments.
The White bar didnt really have enough seating, it was right next to the restaurant and there are no desigated smoking areas. Pool area very good, but I imagine could be quite crowded in the height of summer.
Overall a good hotel with some negatives, but as its still fairly new could be transformed to positives, if they read these reviews!! Would definately go back to Skala, but might miss the month of May. I think we were lucky with the room this time, but it does put me off going back to the Tesoro a little, in case we got one of the rooms that are not so private!!

3 Thank Travellerstales300
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I booked this hotel for a week on the 22 of May for a week half board. In the time I was at the hotel I purposed to my girlfriend, and the hotel assisted me very well in making it extra special.

First of all, THE AIRPORT - Well, its tiny, when you arrive there is one man in a little pvc hut looking at your passports with a big queue outside of the building, so do be aware that you may be held up. Then there is two baggage halls, one as you can past the man in the pvc hut which is a small area with toilets and was rammed back as two flights had just arrived at the same time. The other baggage carousel is through the doors to where the reps are waiting for you in arrivals/departures. Then you come out of the airport on the long and windy roads, well lanes because you driving through peoples front gardens! the place is quite remarkable, I didnt see one motorway the whole time i was there but that adds to the character of Kefalonia. The airport seems it is in somebodys back garden, literally!.

Once we arrived at the hotel there was a very warm welcome by an English receptionist! She talks you through the electric function of the rooms while the porters takes your bags and then off you go on the golf buggy to your room which is at the rear and beyond of the reception area. Our flight was delayed but we was glad to see that the restaurant was kept open to ensure that we had something to eat, which was great as I was expecting a snadwich.

The rooms - Well quite remarkable! Spotlessly clean rooms, very spacious and modern. The shower is outstanding quality and the beds. My girlfriend and I would jump the the shower and then sink into the bed afterwards which was very comfortable, I was out like a light in minutes! I stayed in room 222 which isnt too far from the pool and reception area and has car parking spaces outside the rooms. The rooms may be a bit of walk if you are elderly or disabled especially if you are at the back of the property. Another plus thing to the room was that there was a big mosquito cover to the balcony doors, also used the citronella candles which were good.

The Pool Area - Very clean, you are given free beach towels and the sunbeds are very comfortable along with umbrellas. The drinks at the pool area are quite pricey such as 2 euros for a coke and 3.50 for a bottle of mythos. The pool is quite cold, but that didnt bother me, and it was nice to lean over the inifinity pool and gaze over at the sea.

The Food - The restaurant is very clean and the food quality is one of the best I have tasted. The potato soup is one I will remember! I thought they may have some sought of Greek night such as some sophisticated Greek kebabs but that wasnt to be! The food does come a little repetitive, but at least the food is lovely, there is usually a choice of Italian and then two meats.

The Resort -The resort centre is around a 20 minute walk away from the hotel, maybe they will implment a shuttle service for around 5 times a day eventually but there really isnt much there to do, only supermarkets and restaurants, so dont go expecting there are shops there like in Benidorm. Please not that for some of the walk there is no pavement, and the road gets very dark in the night.

Extras - You can hire a tent, which I did to purpose. It is very nice and the waitress Victoria was very good and nice! The food is also top quality and you have to pay extra for. (see pics). There is also free use of internet on two new PC's. You get given two bath robes and slippers, but if you want to take the robes home there is a fee. There is also a mini bar in the room which can be quite pricey so it is better to buy your own from the supermarket Baligoto, which is less than a 5 minute walk away.

We paid to keep the room on which was for 30 euros, which kept our room until 2 pm which was good for us but a little pricey. When you leave, you leave your bags at your room and the porters come and take it to the luggage room at reception.

Thank you Tesoro Blu - As we got engaged, we was given a lovely presnt off the hotel and also when we got back to our room we had a big fruit dish and a note saying congratulations on your engagement.

I have travelled to many parts of the world and in my opinion this hotel is up there with any hotel that I have stayed in before. You will not be dissapointed if you book this hotel! The staff complement the hotel, and the two owners who I believe are father and son, are always keeping a great eye and as you can see have a great relationship with their colleagues.

Room Tip: Room 222 had a great view the hotel and also you could see parts of the sea from it.
3 Thank Lloyd2709
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Odyssey Hotel
Odyssey Hotel
#1 of 6 in Agia Efimia
Astra Village Hotel & Suites

Been to Tesoroblu Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!