“Amazing food and atmosphere ”
Review of Mikelatos

Mikelatos
Ranked #6 of 57 Restaurants in Skala
Cuisines: Greek, International
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We ate at this restaurant 3 times during our visit to Skala early June we were staying 10 minute drive out of Skala and nipped in to the pharmacy one day and came across this little gem the decor is so lovely we decided to have lunch and wow the food was amazing and the loveliest staff.
we ordered starter of sardines and squid which were both delicious followed by chicken souvlaki and meat pie all dishes were fab but very generous portion sizes we were so full the cake that came with my husbands coffee was divine.
we returned two more evenings and the atmosphere and service were amazing my hubbys favourite dish was the dish Mexico pork chop and belly pork it was delicious and the lamb kleftiko was the best I’ve ever had one of the evenings I had room for a dessert and chose the baklava wow it was amazing the restaurant also has a good selection of drinks and the wines recommended by the waitress were lovely we are returning to Cephalonia next June and can’t wait to eat in this beautiful restaurant again.

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed June 16, 2019 via mobile

The best food that we had all week, the staff and Sylvester were brilliant. The food was to die for, authentic local dishes

Date of visit: June 2019
Mikelatos_Restaurant, General Manager at Mikelatos, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2019

Thank you so much for your review .
We really appreciate it .

Reviewed June 15, 2019

It’s around 8:30pm Saturday evening and we’re heading to a restaurant on the main strip that we’d walked past late the night before. Then, it had stood out to us for its ambience and atmosphere. It was full, always a good sign. But more than that, it was buzzing with feel good and it looked beautiful, romantic. It was all whitewashed walls, tasteful decor and mood lighting. And it looked authentic too. So we were determined to try it for dinner. The next morning we found ourselves hunting for souvenirs up the main strip and as we walked past mikelatos, everyone seemed to be drinking coffee and eating their cakes. The same cake and it looked delicious.It was a baking hot morning, coffee and cake sounded too good was we went in and ordered a double macchiato. When my coffe came, sure enough there was this same cake, two slices! It was sumptuous, all heady orange aromas and squishy moistness. The coffee was strong. Proper coffee. Heaven. We sat and watched the world go by. Watched as cats played in the street. Now feeling fully refreshed, we used their facilities (super clean and lovely) we left, with our determination to dine there reinforced.
That evening, having just watched some local school children dance traditional Greek dances in the square, we wandered up to see if we could get a seat. Again, Mikelatos was packed. It looked like we would fail, or at least have to wait with drinks in the bar. But then we were greeted by a friendly face, welcoming us in and pointing us to a seat for two, right at the front.
It was busy. Real busy. People everywhere, bustling around in the tight spaces near our table. But we soon realised that most of them were the well-drilled waiting staff who are all literally amazing. Having experienced lots of kefalonian hospitality by now, we expected friendliness and good service, it’s normal here, but this team took attentiveness and service to a whole new level. They’ve been trained in it, that’s for sure. They were all so “on it” - it made us feel very looked after, valued.
I ordered a negroni, my other half a prosecco, which came in a small bottle for one. We shared a starter of fried feta wrapped in a honey and nut shell which was amazing! My other half opted for the grilled prawns and I was advised to try the lamb kleftiko. Our food arrived and the smell of the lamb as a parcel of foil was opened up on a plate in front of me was incredible. OHs plate was filled with huuuge delicious tiger prawns. My lamb was probably the best lamb dish I’ve ever had. The meat just fell apart and the stew was hearty and delicious. As we ate, my eyes trained upon something being delivered to a nearby table. It must have been desserts except they looked alien to me, like out of this world good. I had to ask the waiting staff what I’m earth they were, to ensure I ordered the same thing. Mille feuille and a deconstructed lemon pie, wow! We shared both. My OH who doesn’t eat desserts ever shared them. Annoying! But wow they were sumptuous. The creme anglais was perfection. Our desserts did not last long. It turned out our main server was the grandson of the gentleman who started the restaurant 41 years ago. We were also seated and served at times by his father. They were absolutely lovely and as we left we felt we were saying goodbye to new friends. New friends that we will see again soon enough because the magic of kefalonia has entranced us, and it's experiences like this that helped win us over. I’d highly recommend you go to visit the Mikelatos.
As I sat there watching people walk up outside the restaurant to the view menu, I felt like getting out of my seat and urging them in myself.

1  Thank Tom E

Mr Tom ,
This is one of the best reviews that we ever had as a restaurant and we are really pleased for your time to describe your experience at Mikelatos restaurant . It’s our honor to have customers and friends like you . We are very happy that you enjoyed your first dining experience at our restaurant , and we look forward for the next time.
Much appreciated ,
Mikelatos Family !

Reviewed June 15, 2019

I fail to understand why this restaurant does not have a Michelin star.... The food is divine, the service beyond excellent & the styling perfect. Of course you can eat traditional Greek with a little slight twist to modernise & suit today's palate however you can also try some new exquisite dishes.I tend to avoid fish however the tuna tartare & salmon here were totally amazing. My husband loved the octopus with split pea starter followed by steak with seafood or rabbit. The desserts are totally divine too. My husband is a bit of a custard officionado & he said the mille-feuille was the best he has ever eaten around the world. For me I absolutely loves the mushroom starter & the de-constructed lemon pie. Please be patient & wait for a table...maybe try a cocktail at the bar & watch the world go by as I can assure you it is more than well worth the wait for a table. Of course if that is not enough of an advert then you really have to meet Sylvester the famous cat who becomes more of a character the older he gets... He is a total star in his own right but beware ladies he has developed a love of your handbags for some reason this year & may snuggle up for a little nap! We never make recommendations sue to the variance in people's tastes & budgets however we always recommend that everyone visiting Skala at least tries this once & the feedback we got from people staying in our hotel was amazing so go yourself & form your own opinion... I am totally confident that you will be repeat visitors!

Reviewed June 14, 2019

Best place we have eaten in skala, service top notch,husbands tuna one of the best he has had (and he has had a lot),my moussaka delicious,baked feta divine
We didn't have a problem getting a nice table cos we tend to eat late