“Definitely not a 5 star!!!!!”

Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Skala
Kampala, Uganda
“Definitely not a 5 star!!!!!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked this place trough Internet where it was very clear that this was a five star hotel and spa. With a private beach.

Positive ;
Nice staff. Nice view from our room. Big rooms. Nice view from the pool.

Negative;
Where to begin;) the food was under mediocre at best! We were there 10 days and the last 4-5 days we had just butter and bread for breakfast and lunch.
The food was reheated day after day. The chefs obviously lacked inspiration. We felt that everything tasted the same.
The scrambled eggs looked very unappetizing and the omelette was dry and old. The guy that made those was one of the few of the staff with very bad attitude.

We had a baby with us. But could not get 3 towels to the pool. Just 2. And we could not get new towels before 3 days had passed.

If you have a stroller or kids it was a lot of stairs and steep hills.

The private "beach" was not a beach, only rocks and not accessible for small children:-(.

During our 10 day stay we only once ordered cocktails from the lobby bar. We ordered one mojito and one capirinha. Unfortunately, the cocktails were undrinkable, and we complained to the bartender. He sincerely could not understand why we didn't like the drinks he made and he found the recipe in a book and showed it to us...there was no apologize!

It says there is a playground for kids. It was an old and dirty place with a strange smell that made us dizzy. it was full of spiderwebs. We asked the staff at the pool restaurant if someone could please clean it. Nothing happened during 10 days. We had to clean it ourselves!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dilara1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
colchester, essex
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Myself & my husband returned home 2 days ago from our week long holiday at this hotel.

Overall we had a lovely holiday in a beautiful location.

We were given a room upgrade which was arranged by Nikos from a standard land-view room to a room with sharing pool. This was heaven & totally made the holiday even better. The pool was shared with 6 rooms but offered peace & tranquility at all times.

The hotel is kept exceptionally clean by a team of very hard- working cleaners who never seem to stop.

The buffet restaurant food is what I would class as standard 4* hotel offering with a good variety at all meals. We dined in the a'la carte Ostako restaurant once which was very good food & attentive service.

The food at the Zephyros pool bat was also of a high standard - fab special pizza's & Greek salads.

Now onto my gripe........before I booked this hotel I emailed asking them to provide details of their all-inclusive package. They emailed me a comprehensive list that clearly stated that along with local spirits, brand name spirits were also included. Seeing as how I only drink Gordon's or Tanqueray gin, or a good brand. This sounded perfect. Upon arrival we were also given a sheet of all-inclusive offerings. Again this showed brand name spirits included. So.....first night at the bar I asked for a Gordon's & tonic to be told by the bar man in the lobby bar that I couldn't have it on all-inclusive & only local spirits were included. I did point out that their paperwork stated otherwise, then very reluctantly he did pour me one. Then when asking for the same later that evening at the pool bar the ladies there said i couldn't have it!! The next day Nikos at reception confirmed that I could have Gordon's & phoned the pool bar to tell them I could have this when I requested it. So 2nd night in I asked for Gordon's & was met with some resistance at the lobby bar but the bar man reluctantly served me it all night. I also managed to get Gordon's on the 3rd night then on the 4th night I was told "no more Gordon's - we've run out"!! Hard to believe especially when I'd seen 2 bottles on the shelf that day at the pool bar. He told me I'd then have to have the local brand gin, which I refused as it was so vile, and ordered a cocktail instead.
The next day my husband asked for a red martini & tonic & was told martini not included. Later that evening he asked someone else at the bar for a red vermouth to try & get the cheaper local brand and the girl said "oh martini yes no problem". Honestly you couldn't make it up. So it appears martini also being a brand name is included but not Gordon's!!

So to conclude apart from the gin saga & the fact that the hotel are clearly advertising something that they're not offering, the hotel was good, but if like me you like a particular brand spirit do persist with the bar staff & challenge them & you should get what you want.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank thebrownpants
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Apostolata is perfect for couples and families - quiet and relaxing. Personnel is very, very nice and helpful 24/7. Breakfasts and lunches are mostly the same but dinners are more diverse and very tasty. Rooms are clean and some of them have pool and/or hot top.

Room Tip: rooms for four are great, usually better than for two's. It's also a good idea to ask about...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank m_cichal
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I chose this hotel because I wanted a 4* AI and it was either here or Lixouri which I thoght would be too remote. The first downside was after a cramped trip on a 757 we were 7th drop off which was hard after a long flight but it seems to be getting a regular thing with Thomas Cook. Upon arrival we were were whisked down to the restaurant for our evening meal even though it was past closing time. Then back to reception for an effortless check in and a friendly porter carried our luggage down the stairs and I had to force a tip on him.
We were in room 121 with a side view over the sea. It was compact with a bath/shower and very comfortable. The only downside was the antique tv and a decent black out curtain would help you sleep in a bit later.Everywhere was clean with a daily visit from the maid, towels changed everyother day. There are different standards of rooms some have their own pool, we used a larger family room for a free shower before leaving.
The buffet restaurant is in a beautiful setting, you can eat on the terrace overlooking the sea with friendly attentive waiters, nothing was too much trouble. The buffet is not the most varied but I always found something that suited me(how many people have a different meal everyday of the week). The house wine is of good quality and some couples had wine by the bottle along with beer and soft drinks. A good breakfast buffet should keep most going all day but lunch is served in both the restaurant and the pool bar. There is a bar in reception which serves the usual range of spirits/beers and cocktails, I only drank beer and wine but I did see some name brands of spirits. All the bar staff were always friendly and welcoming and AI finishes at midnight. I never heard anyone told "its not in the AI package" and we received AI till we left at 4.30pm.
Probably in my opinion the star feature of this hotel is the swimming pool area. The pool is at least 30 metres long with a depth of between 1.1 am and 1.4m so proper swimmers are catered for. There are plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas which are still available at 11.00 so unless you want a particular spot you dont have to reserve(although some did). There is a pool bar run by a lovely lady called Demeatrea and a snack bar serving snack lunches.There is a "beach" down the pathway which is actually a piece of concrete with a ladder into the sea. The sea is incredibly clear and is a good snorkelling spot. It is very peaceful with about 10 sunloungers and a porter will take you down there in a golf buggy.
Entertainment is very low key, a singer or duo alternate evenings. There is a one man day entertainment team called Chad who is a really nice bloke. There is a small kids play area including a room with shade although I never saw anyone use it.
The hotel is located 4km outside Skala and there is not really anywhere close to walk to. The hotel provide a free minibus into Skala and Poros, the driver may look miserable but greet him and say thank you and he seems fine. Skala is fairly small with a very greek feel with a shaded area where Greeks meet to while away the day. The beach is sand/shingle with loungers and clear water if beaches are your thing. Poros is similar except smaller and we explored it within a hour including having a drink.
The best and worse feature is in my opinion its location. It does say in the brochure that it is not suitable for anyone who cannot walk well but it is located on a cliffside. This gives great views but there are 90 steps between the pool and the restaurant which gives a good cardiac workout. Who needs the gym and Spa which I did not try. If you want to see the island there are trips available but many hire a car to find those more remote spots. I think this would make a good adults only hotel as I would be worried that children would fall down the steps and there is not a lot for children to do except the pool. It is great for an away from it all break, sitting by the pool and reading a book all day of which the AI package would be of good value. I would return for that type of break as all the staff were so welcoming

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed at the end of May into June... but on second morning fell over and broke my Ankle in two places and ruptured my ligaments... Ouch!!! I am still in the dog house and all this the day before my Brother getting married... great timing!!!

Well as you can imagine this put a dent on proceedings but I was determined to carry on, even those Kafelonia is not a place to be on crutches.

The Hotel was great... but the best bit were the staff. I must mention that Nikos the manage was very very helpful... Thank you, but the star was Bodkin from Romania who was simply great... he was up and down in the buggy sometimes 20 times a day and never did he moan even when they were so busy. Staff superb.. smile helpful and when I injured myself could not do enough.

The place was great but please appreciate we only used the swimming pool once... does not seem to be a good idea in a plaster cast...

Room was okay... nothing special but okay. Was disappointed that not much storage area for clothes and TV channels were limited. Shower was great, although be warned toilets you cannot flush Anything... then the bit you have to so please prepare. This is for all of the island.

Aircon worked a treat and the little terrace we had was well used due to the ankle.

The food was okay... some nights better than others but was not what I would expect from a five(5) star hotel. Breakfast was good and on the plus side drinks were not a rip off like other Hotels in Italy. Buffet style is great as you can choose what you want and the amount you want to eat.

The island is okay and we saw a lot of Hotels due to family and friend staying for the wedding but I can say that we managed to pick a star... do not expect five star as in other countries but for Kafelonia great place to stay. Everyone in Kafelonia was very helpful and friendly with the only exception of some bus drivers lol!!!

NOTE: Taxis from the Hotel to Scala 6 Euros, 500 metres down the road to villas my brother was staying 6 Euros each way... you got it expensive for short journeys. Also never let the Taxis driver wait a nano second (remember I was on crutches) or they will drive off.

Over all great stay in a beautiful position. I never wanted to go to Greece ever but Kafelonia , the people and the Hotel have won me over.

I would like to thank all the people of Kefelonia whom were so so helpful - you know who you are... Thank you!!! To the Taxis driver who did Drive by pick up... may your car engine seize, your gearbox explode like a firework into a million atoms and your electrics burn.

Finally I would like to thank my wife for putting up with me in plaster and crutches.

Room Tip: Upgrade its worth the view,
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank I J G
London
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Mareblue for 11nights in June 2013. We decided to upgrade to a suite with a pool and this was all sorted out by Nikos (thank you so much).

We were driven to our room by the golf buggy....stepping into our suite was amazing. It was one of the nicest rooms that we have stayed in with 2 sofas, 2 TV's, 2 fridges, DVD player, dining table, and large spacious bathroom with a separate walk-in shower. Our private pool was lovely and we had stunning sea views. It is worth getting up at 6am to see the amazing sunrise which can be seen from the room....stunning! The outside area was also fantastic with 2 sun loungers and comfy outside sofa and chairs. The room and pool are were immaculate and we were able to enjoy our days lounging by our private pool. We could also access the Internet from our room..which was a bonus.

The suites are located at the bottom of the hotel and so we did have a bit of a walk up the stairs to breakfast and dinner, but we had read the other reviews and were prepared for this.

We found breakfast and dinner great. There was a great selection to eat and the trays were changed frequently so there was always a fresh supply of food /meat available. Staff in the restaurant were extremely attentive and ensured that all the food was replaced hot....we had no complaints.

We did not use the main pool as we had our suite...but the pool area looked very clean and well maintained.

We chose the half board option, mainly as we had a car and so did several trips out to various beaches (Sami, Fiscardo, Mrytos Beach etc). Kefalonia is beautiful and it was a pleasure to drive around the island with hardly any traffic looking at all the sights. A hire car is essential if you want to see Kefalonia as the hotel is quite remote...we found it easy to jump in the car and pop into Skala or the supermarket etc rather than walk or use the bus.

There is no beach at the hotel but there is a jetty which provides access to the sea. The sea here is clear, blue and welcoming. I recommend taking a snorkel, mask and fins to do some snorkelling from the jetty.

We met the manager who came to sort out a minor issue with our safe....he came in Person to resolve our issue and was extremely helpful and attentive, like all the other staff at the resort.

We would definitely consider returning....the hotel is amazing and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here! Thank you to Nikos and all the staff!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cab1980
Lincoln, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 1, 2013

You walk into reception and all seems ok and even looks modern however things change when you go to your room, very basic and for 2nights we had no aircon which is a common thing across the hotel.
Was supplied with a fan and its old and cant fix the air con, eventually moved to another room where it did work.
The food is very repetitive although if you like salad and pork you will be fine, also please not if you have taken the ALL INCLUSIVE many thinks are not included such as fresh juice for breakfast, allot of the drinks at the bar, some of the lunch time food by the pool side, so beware!!
Most of the staff were pleasant although really didn't care if you were happy or not as allot of the things wrong with the hotel they cant fix.

Room Tip: rooms by the pool seem more modern but its a very steep walk to the restaurant and reception
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mad B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skala
Apollonion Resort & Spa
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Emelisse Art Hotel
Emelisse Art Hotel
#2 of 7 in Fiscardo

Been to Apostolata Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!