Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Porto Skala Hotel & Village(Skala)(Great Value!)
$69
Koukounaries Studios(Skala)(Great Value!)
$46
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfire showhalf boarda superior sea view roomanimation teamlobby bargolf buggyshared poola la carte restaurantall inclusive guestsall inclusive packagepool restaurantmain poolcourtesy busmain restaurantevening entertainmentinclusive menuinfinity pool
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I came to the Mareblue with family who had stayed at the hotel before & really enjoyed it. I don't usually holiday in Europe but totally fell in love with Kefalonia & this hotel! It exceeded all of my expectations. The rooms are of a fair size & clean & have beautiful views from the balconies. Every member of staff I had contact with were happy, pleasant & really helpful. The restaurant had a good variety of food which always seemed to be fresh, well cooked & replenished throughout the evening. The waiters & the waitress always spoke to us, cleared our plates quickly & topped up our drinks as soon as our glasses were empty. The pool was big & even when the hotel seemed to have a large number of guests we never had trouble finding sunbeds. The infity pool was better still as hardly any of the hotel guests seem to use it! Location wise, it is a little out of the way but the hotel has a shuttle bus to get you into Skala & back or a walk into Skala is easy enough if you don't want to pay 6 euro for a taxi. Skala is a wonderful little place with really friendly people. I like the fact that it is quiet & relaxing as it means you don't get groups of young people getting drunk hanging around the place. It is easy to get a large stretch of Skala beach to yourselves too as there are plenty of sun loungers. Am not too sure how the review below managed to compare Skala to Benidorm at all, as I can't think of 2 places that could possibly be more different! I didn't use the Spa at the Mareblue, however my daughter had done & she also felt that the massage was of a poor standard for the money it cost. Overall if you want peace & quiet on a beautiful island I highly recommend this hotel. I will be returning many times in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank anita w
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at the Apostolata for a wedding in June and would warn others against staying here.

The hotel is in arguably the worst part of the island. Kefalonia is a stunning place with a couple of downmarket resorts, Skala is one of them.

To be fair, our room was of a reasonable standard and was large and clean. The rest of the hotel, however, was very disappointing. The pool was nice enough but spoilt by broken sun beds, not what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel.

The spa treatments were second rate at best, my 2 year old could deliver a better massage.

We stayed on a half board basis but struggled to eat any of the food. It was literally inedible. Even the wedding buffet was of a really poor standard.

If you are thinking of visiting Kefalonia please stay in Fiscardo and steer clear of Skala. I felt like I was in Benidorm staying at the Mareblue. Awful hotel and resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank sianpp
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We travelled to the Mareblue, 1st-8th October for 7nts. Upon arrival we were shown to our one bedroom suite with private pool, wow....what a room!! The suite comes complete with extra large bathroom including a separate wet room, large bath tub as well as 2 sinks. There's a large bedroom plus living room and both of these open out on to your private pool area, which comes complete with a chilled out seating area. It really did take my breathe away when I walked out of my room on that 1st day, the views are absolutely stunning! The only time I've seen views like this is Hamilton Island, on the Great Barrier Reef!
On a morning we would take the long hike up to the restaurant, it's definitely not for those with walking difficulties. You feel as though you've had a workout when you arrive at the restaurant. I'm sure those who do have mobility issues or them with children could always ring for a golf buggy as we saw quite a few people using these. There was always enough choice of food at the buffet restaurant, we never had a bad meal or stuck for choice. I enjoyed the soups and meatballs, very yummy! Sometimes at lunch we'd eat at the pool bar. Yes there's a limited menu for AI guests but we found there to be enough choice, the Greek salads were beautiful. If you want more choice head to the buffet restaurant.
Once the sun went in on our private pool aroud 4pm we would head to the main pool area till 6pm where we could chill out, catch the last bit of sun and enjoy a few cocktails. The large pool looks very inviting and is surrounded by sun loungers, we never had a problem getting a bed.
There isn't much in the form of entertainment on an evening, but if you're happy just to chill out on an evening listening to a local band enjoying a few drinks then this is the place for you!
One night we treated ourselves to the Al la Carte restaurant, Ostraco. The food and service was unbelievable. We ordered steak and cooked this on our own hot stone. The restaurant comes highly recommended for those who want something special or for those celebrating an occasion. My partner proposed to me that evening, the whole ambience, setting and staff were wonderful (they were in on the surprise too!!)
My partner used the gym most days and said this was adequet and suited his needs, he did comment there was no water fountain but had no issues taking a couple of bottles of water from the bar area.
We went in to Skala twice for a little walk around and to have a few drinks. There wasn't much going on as the resort itself is fairly quiet. The beach was packed with sun loungers but empty with tourists, I think that was purely down to the time of year. We did enjoy a beautiful meal at the Mikelatos Family Restaurant, highly recommended if you do leave the hotel.
If you're after a quiet hotel, offering stunning views, high class service then look no further, the Mareblue is perfect for those who want to completely relax and chill out. Very worthy of its 5 stars, cannot wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: If you can treat yourself to a one bedroom suite with private pool then do....you won't be disappointed!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank marleyMarley
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Mareblue Apostolata hotel and spa.The hotel is gorgeous,the staff were very nice,the only thing that spoiled it was the location.It was way out in the hills and very remote.You defineatley need to hire a car if you are staying there.The food wasnt that good.Not a lot of choice and was usually luke warm.There was a complimentary mini bus laid on to take you into Skala town or Poros nearby.We used it a few times,as we thought it was a very good idea.How wrong were we!!!The driver of the bus was very rude and obnoxious,unfriendly and surly.He was supposed to pick you up at a certain time,and collect you after a few hours at a set time.Well we were going into Poros and the pick up time was 12pm.The collection time in Poros was 1pm or 4.45pm,so we opted for the 1pm collection.When he didnt turn up at 12pm to take us we told the receptionist and she got in touch with him on his mobile.He said he would collect us at 12.15pm,never turned up.We told the receptionist again and she told us that something had happened in Skala and he would be about 10mins.So we waited til 12.35pm,he then turned up.He drove up and my husband said are you going to pick us up at 1.35pm now ,as we wanted to stay in Poros for the hour.He mumbled that he was going to pick us up at 1pm!!! It took us 15 mins to get there so that meant that we would get around 1o mins to have a look round!We went inside to tell the girl and she explained to him that we wanted to have a full hour in Poros.He was very angry and im sure he swore in Greek,he took us eventually,driving about 70 miles an hour on winding roads,we were terrified.On another occasion he was meant to collect people from Skala at 4pm,then 5.30pm.Again he didnt turn up.A young couple waited til 6pm in the burning sun with us and he still didnt turn up.We had to ring the hotel and they had to send a member of staff down to pick us all up as there were 6 of us waiting for him in the end,making 2 journeys.Apparently he has been there for 10 years ,i dont know how he has got away with treating paying customers like that.!A very nasty piece of work.The rooms at the hotel are beautiful.Twin beds with a sofa bed,tv,hair dryer,kettle,on request and a fridge.We had a sea view which was gorgeous,in fact i think all the rooms have a sea view,with a large balcony.The pools were lovely but very cold.Lots of sunbeds available.When we arrived there was a very nasty thunder storm,and the hotel had a power cut.The entertainment most of the week was very poor,except for the 1 night ,when Chad did a fire act which was very good.The drinks at the hotel were a rip off.We paid 5 euros for a glass of wine and 3.20 euros for a small glass of beer.We only got ripped off the once,then we bought a box of wine from the supermarket for 7 euros which had 32 servings in it,well pleased!!The restaurant staff were very pleasant ,particularly Nicos who was very obliging all week.They even gave my husband a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake for his 70th birthday,which was much appreciated.This is quite a posh hotel for people with lots of money to spend,as everything was very expensive.You had to pay 10 euros to go in the spa indoor pool,and the treatments ie massages,waxes etc were very expensive even tho it was the end of the season.If you just want a chilling holiday,and have lots of money then this is the place for you.The setting is gorgeous but very remote and quiet,no shops or bars nearby.Lovely cats come on the balcony every morning for something to eat.i fell in love with all of them.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BoltonPrendi
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here from the 7th October for one week half board. This a splendid hotel and fully deserves 5 star rating which has. We had the experience of staying in two typs of rooms. The first was a standard room, which had everything u could need ( basic ) but u couldn't ask for anymore for the price. Then due to being delayed for 24hrs we were placed in an infinaty room, which was splendid, very roomy emacuelate bathroom with wet room plus shower over the bath and off course a pool of your own. ( could not fault this room at all).

The food was very good, it's the first place I have ever found to do a full English breakfast and the deserts were to die for.

The staff are very freindly and work very well together. No waiting to get served for drinks or to get your plates to get cleared away and very helpful when enquiring about things to do.

• Stayed: October 2012