“Pelican Pouch is a treasure!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Water Caye
Pelican Beach - South Water Caye
Vancouver, Canada
“Pelican Pouch is a treasure!!”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We refer to this part of our holiday as "our island paradise". Getting to the Caye is a very easy process. Just get to the sister lodge in Dangriga and you will be taken care of from the moment you walk in. Actually, we were taken care of from our first email and communication with Terri. You don't need to take much here - you won't even wear shoes!

Everything is special about this place - people, accommodations, food, snorkeling - it truly is paradise!!

The cabanas are beautiful-always breezy and are surrounded by the whitest sand, the bluest water and shaded by palm trees. The food is healthy Belizean cooked up by Eva who is the best Hudut maker around. Ritchie, the man of the hour, was our boat captain, snorkel guide, food server, makes a very good pina colada and plays a "mean" game of scrabble. Ruth and Francisco will help you with anything.

The snorkeling is pristine. We saw every kind of fish on our id card!! The corals are beautiful. I highly recommend a trip to Angel Reef and also to Carrie Bow to see the Smithsonian station.

If you need a quiet (really quiet) get away and want pristine snorkeling put yourself in the hands of this Belizean owned and operated resort. It will be a special life memory!

ps. They could really use a new dictionary for the scrabble game. Take one along to donate if you have room in your bag.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gatopaja

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Wonderful off the wall unique caye resort. I loved the quietness - only the crashing surf - no blaring radios, no pounding bar music, no drunken tourists being jerks. Ask for Heron's Hideaway if you want a front porch with its feet in the reef, your own personal barraccuda that lurks in the nearby mangrove stands, schools of tiny fish more numerous that sand grains on the beach.

I love that meal time was on my timetable: just show up between 7 and 9am for breakfast - it will be freshly cooked for you, not sitting in some buffet roaster. If weather is fine, you will eat on the outside patio with only the blue Caribbean sky as the roof. Food was wholesome, nutritious with a Belizian flair. Amazingly fresh fish, lobster tail, free range eggs with yolks like pingpong balls. I appreciated the daily morning fruit and evening salads. Rich flavourful coffee, not Nescafe. Leonard was a caring and attentive host and great bartender. Ritchie, our snorkle guide, knew the hot spots.

We snorkled from the beach - yes, there is a current but that is what brings in the fish and food chain. Look for small eagle rays in the protected area between reef and caye. Take a day tour to Tobbacco Caye and be thankful that you are on South Water.

A unique special place that I'd definitely return to. Best suited to travelers who are interested in out of the ordinary.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank 1hker1
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We loved Pelican's Pouch - is was my ideal island retreat. I would like to thank hosts Terri and Leonard for making our stay so perfect. The food was wonderful and I liked that cold and hot drinks were available 24/7. The resort was kept perfectly clean.

The snorkelling straight off the beach was a real joy. We got to see nurse sharks, huge sting rays, wonderful fan corals and an array of fish. A trip to Whale Shoal was well worth the extra cost - it was a kaleidoscope of colour, the corals and fish were mind blowing. Leonard also arranged for us to go on a guided night time snorkel safari where we saw a very different reef.

We stayed in the Ospreys nest cottage which had the most amazing views over the barrier reef. The only noise was the crash of the waves and the screech of a young osprey in the tree above!

My only regret was that we did not stay longer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hatton
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I really don't want to tell anyone about this place. I'm afraid it will turn into a busy busy place. It's not difficult to get to Southwater Caye, but the extra traveling is well worth the reward.

My wife and I stayed 7 days on Southwater Caye at Pelican's Pouch. I would have to say if you don't enjoy the simplicity of doing nothing then you should just stay home.

The staff was out of this world and they really wanted to take care of us. The food (thanks Nerna) was great, fresh, homemade and out of this world. I ate things I never eat and loved it!

If you enjoy the prettiest beach you will ever see with a view that's out of a story book then you will love it. If you want to snorkle and see fish, rays, nurse shark, just hope in the water.

We can't wait to go back and I miss it. We've only been home for 4 days and I'm mentally still there.

• Liked — Simple, clean, perfect to get away from life.
  • Stayed November 2008
Jacobstown,NJ
Reviewed April 25, 2008

We made arrangements to stay at the Pelican Pouch Resorts in mid-March. We were picked up at Dangriga (Tropic Air) and delivered to our hotel asap, Pelican Beach Resort, on day one. We arrived at lunch time and checked into our rooms with no problem. We were glad to have refrigerators in our rooms so that we could refrigerate some of our food items (chocolate/drinks) we had brought along. Our rooms were very clean, neat and suprisingly had air conditioning. Also were surprised that our meal was all inclusive and all 6 of us enjoyed the food. We loved the dock hammock area with thatched roof. The kids had a ball swimming and hanging out. We walked through the town of Dangriga and enjoyed seeing the local culture. Know that Dangriga is not set up as a tourist town in any way so if you are looking for souvenirs or t-shirts buy at the airport or at Pelican Pouch Resorts. Warning: Please apply bug spray as soon as you arrive to avoid no see-ums bites. The next morning we rode bikes through the town and got packed up for our pre-arranged boat ride out to South Water Caye. The boat arrived promply at 10:00 and we arrived 1 hour later. We enjoyed seeing other islands along the way. The island of South Water Caye is beautiful (Paradise) and the rooms and staff were outstanding. My youngest son got up to fish promptly at 6 am each morning. Breakfast was served starting at 7 am. We snorkeled until lunch time at 12:00 pm. We were mesmerized by the beauty of the water and island. Again we were snorkeling each day at 3:00 pm and in our rooms for showers at 5:00 so we could be ready for cocktail hour @ 6:00. Dinner was served @ 7:00 pm by candlelight. We had such great family time because there were no electronic distractions for our children ages 18, 14 and 11. The other activities we participated in were kayaking to Carrie Bow about 1 mile out and bird watching. The main attraction was the plentiful marine life and beautiful coral reef. You could stay close to the beach and see marine life or swim over the sea grass and see very colorful abundant marine and coral life. We swam against the waves next to the coral reef and saw incredible sites. If you stay close to the beach you won't see the colorful species you see swimming past the sea grass. My youngest son wants to tell you they provide great food and fishing off the dock is spectacular. He caught a stingray plus needlefish and his brother caught a barracuda. When we snorkeled we saw a shark, many barracuda and stingrays, squid, moray eels and schools of colorful reef fish. They were sites to behold. At night everyone had a flashlight and we looked for critters. Had a great time playing cards, shooting pool and playing board games. We brought a CD player with island music and a small speaker so we had music all day long. We stayed 7 days on the island and never got bored. We want to thank Terri, Leonard, Kevin and Trish (the intern) and the entire Pelican staff for making our stay a wonderful family vacation. We are still smiling!!!!!!!! SEE OUR OTHER REVIEW "PELICAN BEACH RESORTS" FOR PHOTOS................

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank williamtobin1
Virginia
Reviewed April 22, 2008

My first trip to Belize, my first time snorkling, so I'm still gushy about the experience. Beautiful, unspoiled setting -- in four days, I spotted only one cigarette butt on this 14-acre island. The reef is RIGHT THERE. You slip on the flippers and fin out to it in 5, 10 minutes. Cottages are clean, comfortable and private with porch hammocks and gorgeous views. The staff is wonderfully welcoming and such a team that I had to ask if they were related by kinship or friendship -- they work so happily and well together. The food was family fare -- yummy but not fussy. Fresh squeezed fruit juice for breakfast and all day, then morphing into the base for the evening's fantastic rum punch. We had a potato desert one night, so sweetly delicious I could not believe it was potato. I've been vacationing in Alaska for 14 years, and it was just lovely to find the same sense of splendid isolation in a tropical setting. This is not a vacation spot for those who relish bright lights and a happenin' social scene; guests were couples and family groups. But bring books, board games, battery-operated CD player and you are set! Highlights included double rainbow, Mt. Victoria sillouetted against the sunset, star watching with laser pointer, full moon rise, and the squid that leaped from the water into my lap on the boat ride back to Dangriga, a Cosmic Roadsign signaling a return trip. Also ranking as a highlight was the oustanding service from staff -- particularly Terry, Leonard and Kevin -- at this Belisian-owned attraction.

• Liked — Cleanliness, eco-sensitivity, views, breezes and comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Not applicable. My expectations were exceeded.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank VirginiaDee
North Hanover New Jersey
Reviewed March 29, 2008

A grat place to stay and enjoy a little piece of eden. the staff go out their way to make you happy. The water is as clear and the snokeling great. I would go back again for a vacation.

• Liked — The water
  • Disliked — you are on a island and hard to see other things
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TAIPANPR55
#2 of 2 in South Water Caye
Thatch Caye Resort
Thatch Caye Resort
#2 of 2 in Coco Plum Cay

Been to Pelican Beach - South Water Caye? Share your experiences!