“Paradise”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Water Caye
Pelican Beach - South Water Caye
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We loved Pelican's Pouch - is was my ideal island retreat. I would like to thank hosts Terri and Leonard for making our stay so perfect. The food was wonderful and I liked that cold and hot drinks were available 24/7. The resort was kept perfectly clean.

The snorkelling straight off the beach was a real joy. We got to see nurse sharks, huge sting rays, wonderful fan corals and an array of fish. A trip to Whale Shoal was well worth the extra cost - it was a kaleidoscope of colour, the corals and fish were mind blowing. Leonard also arranged for us to go on a guided night time snorkel safari where we saw a very different reef.

We stayed in the Ospreys nest cottage which had the most amazing views over the barrier reef. The only noise was the crash of the waves and the screech of a young osprey in the tree above!

My only regret was that we did not stay longer.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hatton

Reviewed November 26, 2008

I really don't want to tell anyone about this place. I'm afraid it will turn into a busy busy place. It's not difficult to get to Southwater Caye, but the extra traveling is well worth the reward.

My wife and I stayed 7 days on Southwater Caye at Pelican's Pouch. I would have to say if you don't enjoy the simplicity of doing nothing then you should just stay home.

The staff was out of this world and they really wanted to take care of us. The food (thanks Nerna) was great, fresh, homemade and out of this world. I ate things I never eat and loved it!

If you enjoy the prettiest beach you will ever see with a view that's out of a story book then you will love it. If you want to snorkle and see fish, rays, nurse shark, just hope in the water.

We can't wait to go back and I miss it. We've only been home for 4 days and I'm mentally still there.

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed April 25, 2008

We made arrangements to stay at the Pelican Pouch Resorts in mid-March. We were picked up at Dangriga (Tropic Air) and delivered to our hotel asap, Pelican Beach Resort, on day one. We arrived at lunch time and checked into our rooms with no problem. We were glad to have refrigerators in our rooms so that we could refrigerate some of our food items (chocolate/drinks) we had brought along. Our rooms were very clean, neat and suprisingly had air conditioning. Also were surprised that our meal was all inclusive and all 6 of us enjoyed the food. We loved the dock hammock area with thatched roof. The kids had a ball swimming and hanging out. We walked through the town of Dangriga and enjoyed seeing the local culture. Know that Dangriga is not set up as a tourist town in any way so if you are looking for souvenirs or t-shirts buy at the airport or at Pelican Pouch Resorts. Warning: Please apply bug spray as soon as you arrive to avoid no see-ums bites. The next morning we rode bikes through the town and got packed up for our pre-arranged boat ride out to South Water Caye. The boat arrived promply at 10:00 and we arrived 1 hour later. We enjoyed seeing other islands along the way. The island of South Water Caye is beautiful (Paradise) and the rooms and staff were outstanding. My youngest son got up to fish promptly at 6 am each morning. Breakfast was served starting at 7 am. We snorkeled until lunch time at 12:00 pm. We were mesmerized by the beauty of the water and island. Again we were snorkeling each day at 3:00 pm and in our rooms for showers at 5:00 so we could be ready for cocktail hour @ 6:00. Dinner was served @ 7:00 pm by candlelight. We had such great family time because there were no electronic distractions for our children ages 18, 14 and 11. The other activities we participated in were kayaking to Carrie Bow about 1 mile out and bird watching. The main attraction was the plentiful marine life and beautiful coral reef. You could stay close to the beach and see marine life or swim over the sea grass and see very colorful abundant marine and coral life. We swam against the waves next to the coral reef and saw incredible sites. If you stay close to the beach you won't see the colorful species you see swimming past the sea grass. My youngest son wants to tell you they provide great food and fishing off the dock is spectacular. He caught a stingray plus needlefish and his brother caught a barracuda. When we snorkeled we saw a shark, many barracuda and stingrays, squid, moray eels and schools of colorful reef fish. They were sites to behold. At night everyone had a flashlight and we looked for critters. Had a great time playing cards, shooting pool and playing board games. We brought a CD player with island music and a small speaker so we had music all day long. We stayed 7 days on the island and never got bored. We want to thank Terri, Leonard, Kevin and Trish (the intern) and the entire Pelican staff for making our stay a wonderful family vacation. We are still smiling!!!!!!!! SEE OUR OTHER REVIEW "PELICAN BEACH RESORTS" FOR PHOTOS................

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank williamtobin1
Reviewed April 22, 2008

My first trip to Belize, my first time snorkling, so I'm still gushy about the experience. Beautiful, unspoiled setting -- in four days, I spotted only one cigarette butt on this 14-acre island. The reef is RIGHT THERE. You slip on the flippers and fin out to it in 5, 10 minutes. Cottages are clean, comfortable and private with porch hammocks and gorgeous views. The staff is wonderfully welcoming and such a team that I had to ask if they were related by kinship or friendship -- they work so happily and well together. The food was family fare -- yummy but not fussy. Fresh squeezed fruit juice for breakfast and all day, then morphing into the base for the evening's fantastic rum punch. We had a potato desert one night, so sweetly delicious I could not believe it was potato. I've been vacationing in Alaska for 14 years, and it was just lovely to find the same sense of splendid isolation in a tropical setting. This is not a vacation spot for those who relish bright lights and a happenin' social scene; guests were couples and family groups. But bring books, board games, battery-operated CD player and you are set! Highlights included double rainbow, Mt. Victoria sillouetted against the sunset, star watching with laser pointer, full moon rise, and the squid that leaped from the water into my lap on the boat ride back to Dangriga, a Cosmic Roadsign signaling a return trip. Also ranking as a highlight was the oustanding service from staff -- particularly Terry, Leonard and Kevin -- at this Belisian-owned attraction.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank VirginiaDee
Reviewed March 29, 2008

A grat place to stay and enjoy a little piece of eden. the staff go out their way to make you happy. The water is as clear and the snokeling great. I would go back again for a vacation.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TAIPANPR55
Reviewed January 9, 2008

We booked 6 nights and only stayed three on the island- the first night we were told that the boat ride we had booked 6 months in advance was not possible due to the weather so we were put up at the mainland Pelican Bay resort- shabby rooms and AWFUL fried food. The next morning we were transported to the caye, but people who arrived on every subsequant day said that they had EXACTLY the same experience, forced to spend at least one night at the (much less expensive) mainland resort. When I asked for a refund of the difference it was denied. RIP OFF!

The beach is ok but small, the swimming is limited and there is a very strong lateral current on the beach. I found the snorkeling to be really poor- small fish, no coral to speak of. I had booked because the web site promised great snorkeling- NOT! I am an experienced snorkeller and this was the worst I have ever seen, aside from maybe Long Island Sound... Of course you can book boat trips to other snorkelling spots but this costs extra. The manager told me that the current was always present- an inexperienced snorkeller or swimmer could have real problems.

Our cabana was a duplex next to the west side of the island- no view to speak of (we could barely see the water). 2 small folding chairs on the deck, two mildewey hammocks, 2 damp beds. Fairly clean unless you look too close.

On our third night on the island something in the dinner provided gave me food poisoning and I puked all night. The next morning the manager denied that the food from the dining room had caused my problem. As I had not eaten or drunk anything except food provided by the resort for four days, I find this hard to believe. I certainly did not find her sympathetic! Needless to say, we left that day- no apology or offer of any sort of refund was given.

We left early and wouldn't ever go back, especially for the VERY high rates charged!

PS- the sand flies will eat you alive!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
9  Thank maqart
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed there with my partner for 3 nights in the second half of May just before the start of the rainy season.
We were extremely lucky in the sense that we were the only guests in the resort for 2 days. The white powder beach at the tip of the island is wonderful and to be on our own made it even more special. You can snorkel to the local reef (although it was damaged by a hurricane, you can still see a good variety of fishes), borrow a sea kayak or ask the staff to organise a diving trip. The bird life is abundant especially the pelicans who will dive a few meters from you.

Do not expect any luxurious rooms, it is quite basic although very clean and pretty. The food is the same: nothing special but it was well cooked with always fresh ingredients.
The staff was extremely nice and helpful, always trying to make the stay as enjoyable as possible.

To conclude, it is not a cheap place but you will enjoy your stay there and bring back a lot of nice memories. It is the perfect place to relax and recharge your batteries.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Water Caye
0 mi away
Blue Creek Rainforest Lodge
Blue Creek Rainforest Lodge
#2 of 2 in South Water Caye

Been to Pelican Beach - South Water Caye? Share your experiences!